Home & Garden

[Merged] Canceling Summit Energy

• Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2016 3:32 pm
Aug 6, 2014
763 posts
205 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
some "rep" stopped by my place (i just moved last weekend), fortunately i knew about these scams so i just kind of watched the guy spit random numbers at me. when he came to the door i asked him who he was, and he said "i'm with enbridge" - when i called him on it 10 minutes later (he had pulled out a summit energy pamphlet), he said "no, i wasn't lying, enbridge does our distribution so technical we are with enbridge". these guys are sneaky!

i kind of wanted him to keep going because he was making absolutely no sense about anything and kept saying we'd get a 'government cheque' in the mail for $250, and that i was throwing away $40 a month, but they'd put that $40 to a new furnace, and my furnace was no longer mid-efficiency, but it was low-efficiency because it was 5 years old, but i can keep it, and it's part of the OPA 'go green' program, and if i have air conditioning that's another $40, etc etc

and the dude started writing out numbers on a clipboard and drawing arrows like a football commentator and it was super entertaining, but then my neighbor came over to make sure i wasn't getting scammed. he had taken a photo of the dude's ID and it was just full of typos. super funny!!!
Banned
Jul 2, 2015
395 posts
64 upvotes
Canada
Similar guy from a company called eco energy came to my door.
Was talking about some $ 1,300 eco rebate. Was shouting and yelling at me and was trying to barge into my house when I said NO. Wanted to see the tags on my furnace. Extremely pushy and aggressive and pretty much criminal behaviour from this eco energy door to door sales person.
fisher44 wrote:
Aug 7th, 2015 7:04 pm
some "rep" stopped by my place (i just moved last weekend), fortunately i knew about these scams so i just kind of watched the guy spit random numbers at me. when he came to the door i asked him who he was, and he said "i'm with enbridge" - when i called him on it 10 minutes later (he had pulled out a summit energy pamphlet), he said "no, i wasn't lying, enbridge does our distribution so technical we are with enbridge". these guys are sneaky!

i kind of wanted him to keep going because he was making absolutely no sense about anything and kept saying we'd get a 'government cheque' in the mail for $250, and that i was throwing away $40 a month, but they'd put that $40 to a new furnace, and my furnace was no longer mid-efficiency, but it was low-efficiency because it was 5 years old, but i can keep it, and it's part of the OPA 'go green' program, and if i have air conditioning that's another $40, etc etc

and the dude started writing out numbers on a clipboard and drawing arrows like a football commentator and it was super entertaining, but then my neighbor came over to make sure i wasn't getting scammed. he had taken a photo of the dude's ID and it was just full of typos. super funny!!!
Banned
Jul 2, 2015
395 posts
64 upvotes
Canada
Wow, the stuff, you had to go through, due to some lying salesperson. Its so easy for them to sign you up, by lying, misleading, misrepresenting, bullying, intimidating, coercing..but when it comes to cancelling, its a NIGHTMARE !!!
Madhusivan wrote:
Jun 1st, 2010 6:39 pm
I collected a lot of information from the various sites (especially various posts from Red Flag Deals) and prepared a plan of action for this morning. I came to know that whatever I had to do had to be done within 10 days and there is no point in delaying it even a single day and I had to act on it the very next day.

1) First to call Enbridge and Enersource to flag my records informing that I signed a contract with Summitt Energy unintentionally and do not want to switch providers. I wanted them to make a note of this in my records with them.

2) Reading various posts I understood that calling Summitt or even emailing for that matter will not fetch any results. So I decided that I will fax, email, send a registered post required sign back to cancel the contract but will also visit their office in Mississauga in person to cancel the contract.

3)I also decided to lodge a complaint with BBB if I didn’t get any feedback from them. I saw in the BBB page of Summitt Energy that they had helped to resolve all the 173 cases complained with them.

This morning my husband called Enbridge to inform the issue and not to provide our account no. to Summitt but the guy who spoke to us told us that it is beyond their control because I have signed a legal contract and they cannot stop Summitt from having access to our information. The only thing we could do was to cancel the contract within 10 days. The level of anxiety and shock was at peak when I heard this.

I had the emails/letters ready. I found a model letter in this place (http://uegscam.webs.com/getout.htm). I also included the Registration Form No, available in the right side top corner as reference in the letter and emails.

We then called the 1-877 number of Summitt to cancel the contract and the customer service representative asked us to send an email, fax or letter to their mailing address. When my husband asked the office hours for their office and if they had any lunch break so that we can avoid going there in person at that time. For that she told (not quite politely) that it is not necessary to go there in person and the effect would be same and it would take the same time to cancel the contract whether we send it via mail or in person. My husband simply hung up the phone.

Then we sent emails to customerservice@summittenergy.ca, ggirardi@summittenergy.ca and cblackett@summittenergy.ca with the option to know that the mail was read by them.

Then we also faxed a copy of the letter to 905-366-703 and Girardi’s fax no: 905-366-7011. I found yet another fax no. in the BBB site but that did not work. I took the copies of the “fax sent” pages.

Next step was to send a registered mail and hand it over in person. In that letter which w thought of giving it in their office, I included a small para to get their acknowledgment of the receipt of the cancellation letter. I was pretty sure that they are not going to sign that, but did it anyway. We decided to go there first, see their reaction and then send the registered mail.

We went to their office around 1.00pm. I took the fax copies, the registration form and copies of the letters and at this point I was too tensed and was preparing what to tell them and how to talk. I have never been in such a situation in my life before. This scared me even more.

We found their office. It was in a very decent looking building. The office looked very good. I told the receptionist, showing the form that I signed it yesterday and I want to cancel it. She immediately called somebody and told what I had said and also included that “there is another person here to cancel the contract (so somebody else has been there earlier) and since it was only entered yesterday they might not have it in their records now. The person at the other end has asked the receptionist to spell our names and it is quite a mouthful, so she told us to wait and there will be somebody to assist us shortly.

I don’t have apt words to explain how I felt or what was going in my head for the next 5 minutes. Soon a lady came and took us to the 4th floor from the 6th floor we were in. This office did not look as good as the first one. While in the elevator she mentioned that she will give a cancellation letter of the contract. She took us to a room and asked us to be seated. It had only one table and chair and looked very shady. She took the copy of the registration form and told us that she will be right back with the cancellation letter. After giving her that form only I realized that maybe I shouldn’t have because I didn’t take a copy of that form. It was the only copy and she had taken it. I was grumbling to my husband how could we handed over it to her.

She came back with the form and a letter within the next few minutes and asked us to see if the letter was alright. We noticed that there was a spelling error in one of our names and the postal code of our address was missing. So she went back to correct it. The next letter she brought did not mention about canceling the gas plan, it stated only the five year electricity plan has been cancelled. We mentioned this to her, she saw the registration form once again and took it back and said that she will get a new letter.

She brought the 3rd letter and it stated our contract no. (the no. in the form) and mentioned that the contract for a five year electricity and gas price protection plan has been cancelled as per our request. A confirmation number of the cancellation was also mentioned. She repeatedly told us that since the contract was only last night it hadn’t even appeared in their system but they have anyway noted down the contract no. in the system and have cancelled it. She also mentioned that we need not have come there because they would have called anyway after 10 days and we could have done it over phone. At this point my husband asked whether we will be receiving a call after 10 days and she told that we will not be getting any calls from them because they have cancelled the contract. I asked her if she was positive that the contract was cancelled or will I be receiving any surprise bills. For that she smiled and said that it will not happen and in any case they have given the confirmation no. and I can tell if I’m contacted which will not be.

The letter was not signed at this point and I was going to tell her to get a signature from her superior but my husband asked it before I did. For that she asked if we wanted a signature and said okay I will get it from my manager. She came back with a signature and the name was not visible. So I asked her the name to note it down but she herself offered to get a business card and got it for us. I asked her name and made a note of it too on the card and when I asked for the last name she told that she was not supposed to give it. I asked her if I needed to give her the letter I had written requesting them to cancel the contract. She told that it is not necessary since she had noted down in their system that we had walked-in their office to do the cancellation.

So we got the letter. All in all it took maybe 15 minutes. This makes me even more worried because it was a hassle-free process, apart from the fact the she made a couple of mistakes in the letter knowingly or unknowingly. I thought that we would end up fighting and imagined the worst, like having to get a lawyer etc. So I’m still not sure about how legitimate this letter is after reading so many horror stories about their shady operation. The letter had a logo of Summit Energy but I think that it is a copy of the original letter head because their house like logo with green and blue color is in black color. The business card of the Supervisor had this green and blue color logo. I sincerely hope that they do not bill us after 4 or 5 months like many of them have mentioned here. I wish this is the actual end of the process and I don’t have to deal with them anymore.

After coming home I checked my mails and didn't see any reply from them for the emails sent. Maybe an hour later I saw that they had read the mail. I got the confirmation that the mail had been read. The one which was addressed to the customer service not the ones which were sent to the personal names (girardi and blackett). Maybe they don't work there anymore, but it that case the mails would have bounced right? God knows what is going to happen further.

The lessons I learnt from this episode is 1) do not trust anybody in this world 2) do not entertain anybody on your door step, leave alone signing contracts and 3) a note to wives like me: be more involved with paying bills and try to learn about the utilities and things happening around the house.
Feb 16, 2014
65 posts
15 upvotes
^^^ I would have take the lady's picture on my phone if she refused to give her last name...for evidence! lol.
Sep 30, 2015
1 posts
I live in Toronto, and a guy from Summit Energy dropped by in our apartment building asking renters to sign up for price protection. For now, I have signed up for it. He did mention that they are independent company and not affiliated with Toronto Hydro, but they will be able to provide a flat rate of 8.39c rate instead of High, Mid & Off peak rates.

Are these guys legit? Sorry, this is my first time renting with Toronto Hydro, so I have no idea if it works or not or is it a scam. If it's a scam, how will that work?
May 29, 2016
2 posts
The worst company ever. Don't sign with those guys coming to your door behalf the Summit Energy. Just kick them asses way. They are a scam, thief, and layers. My bill went up double right way after I sign with them. From $150.00, $170 .00 aprox in 2 months I start to pay $290.00 to $320.00 in 2 months. Beside that you will have trouble to cancel it. The fee is $250.00 plus tax for cancelation. The government of Canada should take steps against that company.
Mar 15, 2018
1 posts
Hello,

Please advice me what to do on this.

My wife signed the agreement with Summit Energy for 5 year contract on 2017. The account holder name is mine, but she is the one signed and answered the telephone call and confirmed (They did not call me though my number is the first contact number). I was not aware of this agreement till Feb this year.

After a year, I realized that my utility bill has gone 40% higher and I started to check everything and found about this agreement.

I called them and disputed them that I have not signed the contract and my wife did. In the Agreement, account holder name is showing my name, but signature is my wife’s

What to do on this?
1. Am I having option to fight against this cancellation as I am not involved in this agreement at all
2. If I do not pay the cancellation fee, can that effect my credit score?
3. What are the options left for me?

Please advice on this as I think I am fooled by this company.