Automotive

Dash Camera Discussion & Recommendations

Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2005
10111 posts
1966 upvotes
Toronto
JeganV wrote: A handful of the amazon reviews showed youtube footage...I'm afraid it looks dreadful, the night vision is nearly useless and even the day time...worse than my old G1-W a budget camera from 5 years ago. A decent dash cam today can at minimum see license plates during day time. I was originally wondering why it looked choppy...until I saw it can only record 25 fps max even in 720p, minimum even from budget cameras should be 30 fps.
Thank you very much. I didn't see the video on the reviews yet. Let me go see. Thanks.

Maybe that Rex dual camera is better , costs over $100. I have the single Rex camera in my other car.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
5020 posts
888 upvotes
Toronto
rfdrfd wrote: Thank you very much. I didn't see the video on the reviews yet. Let me go see. Thanks.

Maybe that Rex dual camera is better , costs over $100. I have the single Rex camera in my other car.
just get the thinkware f200 if you want dual camera. way better video quality then a lot of other cams.
HEATWARE 18-0-0 since 2006
EBAY 38-0-0 Since 2003

IG: mkdrone_
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4533 posts
5071 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Blackvue updated their app today with forced ads.

Now on any of the free plans to watch your live view or view a cloud video you have to watch a 15s advertisement first. Imagine you getting a notification that your car was hit and now you have to watch a 15s ad before finding out if it was a real impact.

Pretty pissed considering how much this camera cost and that it was advertised everywhere as including basic cloud functionality (one of the reasons i bought it over the Thinkware).
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19237 posts
17863 upvotes
GTA, ON
Ecsta wrote: Blackvue updated their app today with forced ads.

Now on any of the free plans to watch your live view or view a cloud video you have to watch a 15s advertisement first. Imagine you getting a notification that your car was hit and now you have to watch a 15s ad before finding out if it was a real impact.

Pretty pissed considering how much this camera cost and that it was advertised everywhere as including basic cloud functionality (one of the reasons i bought it over the Thinkware).
Another reason why countless RFD's said to avoid Pittasoft and their Blackvue products. They don't really care about their customers.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4533 posts
5071 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
chimaican wrote: Another reason why countless RFD's said to avoid Pittasoft and their Blackvue products. They don't really care about their customers.
I wish the Thinkware had a nicer/sleeker form factor, but i'm definitely going to stop recommending Blackvue products. The biggest thing that stopped me from getting Thinkware was that you can't turn off all the audio alerts and the LEDs, whereas with the Blackvue you can basically make it go dark and silent. Maybe that's changed since i purchased about a year ago.

The worst(er?) part is that they're not "real" ads from other companys, but ads by Blackvue for Blackvue products. Like c'mon i already bought your stuff and i'm using it, you don't have to convince me that a dashcam is a good idea. Just salt in the wound..
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19237 posts
17863 upvotes
GTA, ON
Ecsta wrote: I wish the Thinkware had a nicer/sleeker form factor, but i'm definitely going to stop recommending Blackvue products. The biggest thing that stopped me from getting Thinkware was that you can't turn off all the audio alerts and the LEDs, whereas with the Blackvue you can basically make it go dark and silent. Maybe that's changed since i purchased about a year ago.
After owning the Viofo 119S now for about a year, I have nothing but praise. The continuing firmware support has been great. It's nice to see a company that wants to continually improve their product. Blackvue (Pittasoft) is the exact opposite; new products, discontinue ALL support for old cams.

I can't speak for their new dual cam 129 but if it works as well as their previous models then that's what I would recommend. Maybe someone here who owns one can chime in. Their website says it has 2.4 and 5GHz Wi-Fi capability which is awesome.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Jan 23, 2019
1 posts
Does anyone have any experience with the Aukey DR02 dashcam? I'm interested in this because I actually know this brand and it also seems to work in extreme cold and hot conditions (according to their specs). I also saw some sample footage of this cam for daytime and nighttime and it seems decent.
Jan 14, 2007
829 posts
16 upvotes
Edmonton
EdgarC88406 wrote: Does anyone have any experience with the Aukey DR02 dashcam? I'm interested in this because I actually know this brand and it also seems to work in extreme cold and hot conditions (according to their specs). I also saw some sample footage of this cam for daytime and nighttime and it seems decent.
I have the DR02 set up in one of my vehicles. Only thing I wish it had was an easier way to access the video.

The wire that runs to the back camera is pretty thick so it can be a bit tough to get hidden. But I was able to mount the cam behind my rear view mirror. Hard wired it with little issues.

Otherwise the front and rear camera provide great video no complaints.

Just make sure you buy a half decent Endurance rated SD card.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
6307 posts
3200 upvotes
Cornwall PE
Ecsta wrote: I wish the Thinkware had a nicer/sleeker form factor, but i'm definitely going to stop recommending Blackvue products. The biggest thing that stopped me from getting Thinkware was that you can't turn off all the audio alerts and the LEDs, whereas with the Blackvue you can basically make it go dark and silent. Maybe that's changed since i purchased about a year ago.

The worst(er?) part is that they're not "real" ads from other companys, but ads by Blackvue for Blackvue products. Like c'mon i already bought your stuff and i'm using it, you don't have to convince me that a dashcam is a good idea. Just salt in the wound..
Have the f800 and the x500 dual cams and these things are enabled by default but can be easily turned off.
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4533 posts
5071 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
betamaxman wrote: Have the f800 and the x500 dual cams and these things are enabled by default but can be easily turned off.
So when it exits parking mode it doesn't say "3 impacts detected" anymore? I was told by BlackBoxMyCar that you cannot disable those audio alerts when it comes out of the parking mode? It was supposed to come in a firmware update but i never buy based on "coming soon".

So to confirm ALL LED's and ALL audio alerts can be disabled on the F800? That's amazing.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
5020 posts
888 upvotes
Toronto
Ecsta wrote: So when it exits parking mode it doesn't say "3 impacts detected" anymore? I was told by BlackBoxMyCar that you cannot disable those audio alerts when it comes out of the parking mode? It was supposed to come in a firmware update but i never buy based on "coming soon".

So to confirm ALL LED's and ALL audio alerts can be disabled on the F800? That's amazing.
nope it still says it but you can turn the volume to low so you can't hear it.
HEATWARE 18-0-0 since 2006
EBAY 38-0-0 Since 2003

IG: mkdrone_
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
6307 posts
3200 upvotes
Cornwall PE
Ecsta wrote: So when it exits parking mode it doesn't say "3 impacts detected" anymore? I was told by BlackBoxMyCar that you cannot disable those audio alerts when it comes out of the parking mode? It was supposed to come in a firmware update but i never buy based on "coming soon".

Sorry thought you meant the accident avoidance alerts, I kind of want the others and didn't realize that was what you meant.
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
13165 posts
3738 upvotes
Mississauga
Can you recommend a hardwire kit from Amazon.ca for the Viofo A119? They have a bunch with wildly varying reviews, so I want a good one. Would I also need to buy an add-a-fuse on top of the hardwire kit?
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1925 posts
488 upvotes
YVR
Talamasca wrote: Can you recommend a hardwire kit from Amazon.ca for the Viofo A119? They have a bunch with wildly varying reviews, so I want a good one. Would I also need to buy an add-a-fuse on top of the hardwire kit?
Check with BlackboxMyCar website and it will have the proper hardwire kit for your viofo. They also have live chat to help you out.
Add-a-fuse is recommended vs just simply wrapping your wires to the fuse.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2001
6582 posts
1749 upvotes
rural ontario
Talamasca wrote: Can you recommend a hardwire kit from Amazon.ca for the Viofo A119? They have a bunch with wildly varying reviews, so I want a good one. Would I also need to buy an add-a-fuse on top of the hardwire kit?
I just picked a random one from suggested products that had some good stars from Amazon . It has 4 fuse types, a push on connector and a voltage converter with a voltage cutoff. Had no issues using it with my a119
72 69 6c 6c 65 73
Apr 30, 2013
860 posts
535 upvotes
King City
rilles wrote: I just picked a random one from suggested products that had some good stars from Amazon . It has 4 fuse types, a push on connector and a voltage converter with a voltage cutoff. Had no issues using it with my a119
Can you share the link to the one you purchased?
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2016
1731 posts
1779 upvotes
I am having super difficult time getting A119 dashcam to stick to my dads truck window. 3m pad just flat out refuses to stick no matter what. Is it because of the cold? He parks it outside. I tried just about everything, really frustrating. Should I wait until it gets warmer? I bought 3 a119s, no problems installing the other 2 but those are parked inside. Tried all 3 pads so it's not like 1 is defective.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2001
6582 posts
1749 upvotes
rural ontario
Hindenburg1 wrote: I am having super difficult time getting A119 dashcam to stick to my dads truck window. 3m pad just flat out refuses to stick no matter what. Is it because of the cold? He parks it outside. I tried just about everything, really frustrating. Should I wait until it gets warmer? I bought 3 a119s, no problems installing the other 2 but those are parked inside. Tried all 3 pads so it's not like 1 is defective.
Yes.. drive until the interior is warm and park in a warm place if you can before applying.
72 69 6c 6c 65 73
Deal Guru
Sep 13, 2007
11102 posts
6746 upvotes
Toronto
Hindenburg1 wrote: I am having super difficult time getting A119 dashcam to stick to my dads truck window. 3m pad just flat out refuses to stick no matter what. Is it because of the cold? He parks it outside. I tried just about everything, really frustrating. Should I wait until it gets warmer? I bought 3 a119s, no problems installing the other 2 but those are parked inside. Tried all 3 pads so it's not like 1 is defective.
Or gently heat the 3m pad with heatgun/hairdryer

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)