Automotive

Dash Camera Discussion & Recommendations

Aug 11, 2014
106 posts
67 upvotes
Brampton, ON
I am looking for a new dashcam as well, my VIOFO A119S V2 just died on me. I have been using it for almost 2 years without any issues however 3 days ago it froze on me with the half green half black static screen. Reddit is filled with similar issues with Viofo A119s, the firmware update worked for some while it didn't for others.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Dashcam/commen ... ntial_fix/

I tried all the solutions above but nothing worked so I submitted a ticket and currently waiting for Viofo support to get respond however I am out of warranty.
I also noticed that Viofo is pushing the A129 now but I kind of lost confidence as to how long it will last.
Any proven alternative dashcam and retailers?
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2001
2014 posts
665 upvotes
Calgary
I was torn between the A129 Dou and the A129 Duo Pro, but after looking for reviews on both, I stumbled onto a brand new, not really released yet A129 Plus Duo.

Seems to be the prefect mix (2K) between A129 Duo (HD), A129 Pro Duo (4K), built on the A119 v3 chipset (so firmware will be mature).

It can be bought right now on Viofo website for about $200CDN after the coupon ( AUG15OFF ) that I saw on the product page.

https://www.viofo.com/en/home/197-152-a ... e-included
Review and unboxing:

Sample (Beta firmware)

I bought last night, and already shipped so 3 weeks or so away.

For $200 CDN I think this was my best option...

Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4695 posts
4968 upvotes
GTA
Nice find! Seems like a no-brainer for only $10 more than the original A129.
Jan 7, 2015
657 posts
535 upvotes
GVR
MafiaHitman wrote: I bought last night, and already shipped so 3 weeks or so away.

Great suggestion! Had no idea they are going to release this model. I was on the fence between the A129 Pro vs A129 (1080p) so this new Plus Duo is fantastic and right in the middle.

Please keep us posted on how soon it arrives and if the package has duties upon arrival... I will consider buying it from Viofo if the shipping times are quick.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2012
1415 posts
260 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
MafiaHitman wrote: I was torn between the A129 Dou and the A129 Duo Pro, but after looking for reviews on both, I stumbled onto a brand new, not really released yet A129 Plus Duo.

Seems to be the prefect mix (2K) between A129 Duo (HD), A129 Pro Duo (4K), built on the A119 v3 chipset (so firmware will be mature).

It can be bought right now on Viofo website for about $200CDN after the coupon ( AUG15OFF ) that I saw on the product page.

https://www.viofo.com/en/home/197-152-a ... e-included
Review and unboxing:

Sample (Beta firmware)

I bought last night, and already shipped so 3 weeks or so away.

I think i am going to pick one of these up as well. Do I add the CPL? Never had a dashcam before.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2001
2014 posts
665 upvotes
Calgary
dan668 wrote: I think i am going to pick one of these up as well. Do I add the CPL? Never had a dashcam before.
I am going to pick up the CPL and cable from Amazon.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2001
2014 posts
665 upvotes
Calgary
MafiaHitman wrote: I am going to pick up the CPL and cable from Amazon.
I decided to grab the bluetooth remote from Viofo website though, I can wait for that.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
4203 posts
2132 upvotes
Toronto, ON
dan668 wrote: I think i am going to pick one of these up as well. Do I add the CPL? Never had a dashcam before.
CPL makes it clearer and it won't show the reflection from the windshield. The video above does not have it.
Jul 23, 2018
901 posts
388 upvotes
@MafiaHitman @derass @CornPops @dan668 Have any of you received the A129 Plus Duo, yet? Thoughts? I'm looking to buy my first ever dashcam.
Viofo's website has a 15% off August code, and 10% off September code, which are stacking, so that's good news. Total comes to US$137.62.
Jul 23, 2018
901 posts
388 upvotes
MafiaHitman wrote: I am going to pick up the CPL and cable from Amazon.
Cable for what? Doesn't the box come with everything required? Thanks
Jan 7, 2015
657 posts
535 upvotes
GVR
OongaLoonga wrote: @MafiaHitman @derass @CornPops @dan668 Have any of you received the A129 Plus Duo, yet? Thoughts? I'm looking to buy my first ever dashcam.
Viofo's website has a 15% off August code, and 10% off September code, which are stacking, so that's good news. Total comes to US$137.62.
I didn't purchase yet! Was hoping to hear a data point from another RFD user on whether they get charged duties upon arrival.

What's the code for August? I will definitely buy it now if it stacks.

EDIT: It won't let me stack AUG15OFF code with Sept.
Jul 23, 2018
901 posts
388 upvotes
CornPops wrote: I didn't purchase yet! Was hoping to hear a data point from another RFD user on whether they get charged duties upon arrival.

What's the code for August? I will definitely buy it now if it stacks.

EDIT: It won't let me stack AUG15OFF code with Sept.
I can see it in my cart, but haven't checked out yet. Want me to order for you? :)

Edit: At the final payment screen, the AUG15OFF got removed. Oh well, I tried.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2001
2014 posts
665 upvotes
Calgary
OongaLoonga wrote: Cable for what? Doesn't the box come with everything required? Thanks
To hard wire it into fuse panel, and no not here yet, I will estimate less than a week, but tracking shows it's in Canada for last 5 days, so that's good I guess?. (only ordered 2 weeks ago).

I ended up buying the Bluetooth button from them as well 2 days later and that seems to be closer (in Canada and processed)

This screenshot is for the actual camera:
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2003
11234 posts
3800 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Any recommendations for a dashcam? Is rear cam necessary? Plan on new x3, thanks
Jan 31, 2008
152 posts
112 upvotes
Mississauga
@wlee
A rear cam is not necessary, but it is great for peace-of-mind.
Just like Gee stated, getting rear-ended is always likely. I've been hit from behind a few times, thankfully very lightly.
Have you begun your research on dashcams? If not, I suggest carcamcentral.com for a starting point.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21699 posts
17373 upvotes
Markham
pmdenterprises wrote: @wlee
A rear cam is not necessary, but it is great for peace-of-mind.
Just like Gee stated, getting rear-ended is always likely. I've been hit from behind a few times, thankfully very lightly.
Have you begun your research on dashcams? If not, I suggest carcamcentral.com for a starting point.
Eg of when getting the front cam is needed
> to protect you in case someone cuts you off which could be construed as you hitting the other person from behind.
> to protect you from some scammer who puts there car into reverse or backs into you and then claims you hit them from behind
> somebody hits you and tries to run...perhaps the camera catches the plates

If you get hit from behind, isn't it pretty much guaranteed the guy behind you is considered to be following too closely?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
7156 posts
7137 upvotes
Interesting that they're are no comments or recommendations for "apeman" brand when that seems to be the most popular one on Amazon. Is it not a good camera? Considering buying one but I have no idea what to do look for in a dash cam.
Mar 26, 2020
11 posts
3 upvotes
Hi
Had a Dash Cam in 2015 Toyota ( a PPPai M6+ - that after a long day on the road would bitch --in Chinese about something ?? I see they are not selling that one any more ) - and the only crazy video I captured and offered to the Police ( in Carlsbad CA ) was politely refused ...who knew ... Anyways have a 2020 Telluride and had wished that Kia had built in a dash cam ( they have a ton of camera's in the car ... and do what Telsa did - for people who key their car )

So looking at indegogo for another item and saw this .... ( link ). https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/70ma ... x/24268081#/

Came in 2 days ago ... now looking at the video's on how to do a clean install .... This 70mai camera seems ot have some good initial reviews ( I do not see it on their web site yet ?? This link is for the prior model ( ?? ) https://www.70mai.com/en/dash-cam-pro/

If this helps anyone decide - good - because there are too many options out there. Looking forward to see how the unit works with the iPhone app ... to me that is a good must have feature.

Greg
Jul 16, 2020
151 posts
26 upvotes
is the 70mai a800 good? they have front and back camera

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)