Automotive

Dash Camera Discussion & Recommendations

Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
2547 posts
1902 upvotes
GTA
I'm looking to get a single channel dash cam installed, but am concerned about battery drain in Parking Mode as the vehicle is not driven every day (WFH due to Covid). Is there a concern around battery drainage with Parking Mode enabled? Is there a way to turn off Parking Mode when parked at home.

Dashcam is the Viofo A129 (single channel-front) and will be hardwired to fuse box.

EDIT: Car is a Subaru Forester.
Last edited by lpin14 on Oct 16th, 2020 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2009
1676 posts
1424 upvotes
Toronto
lpin14 wrote: I'm looking to get a single channel dash cam installed, but am concerned about battery drain in Parking Mode as the vehicle is not driven every day (WFH due to Covid). Is there a concern around battery drainage with Parking Mode enabled? Is there a way to turn off Parking Mode when parked at home.

Dashcam is the Viofo A129 (single channel-front) and will be hardwired to fuse box.
What car do you drive? For most modern cars this is a non issue as it will shut the camera off automatically

Alternatively you can purchase an external battery back to bypass your car battery together or manually unplug the camera when you are parked for a long time.
Dec 6, 2012
752 posts
520 upvotes
Montréal, QC
lpin14 wrote: I'm looking to get a single channel dash cam installed, but am concerned about battery drain in Parking Mode as the vehicle is not driven every day (WFH due to Covid). Is there a concern around battery drainage with Parking Mode enabled? Is there a way to turn off Parking Mode when parked at home.

On the hardwiring kit there is a voltage selector to cut camera at pre-selected steps, like 12.2V or 12.4V to prevent battery drainage.
May 21, 2008
921 posts
160 upvotes
Ottawa
Just received Viofo A119 v3. Can anyone please explain what are these black foam stickers for and the clear plastic?
IMG_20201018_142800_095.jpg
Deal Guru
Sep 13, 2007
11105 posts
6746 upvotes
Toronto
yanksingh wrote: Just received Viofo A119 v3. Can anyone please explain what are these black foam stickers for and the clear plastic?
IMG_20201018_142800_095.jpg
Black foam is to help the eliminate the rattling.

Clear plastic, I never got that. Maybe screen protector?
May 21, 2008
921 posts
160 upvotes
Ottawa
McLaren__F1 wrote: Clear plastic, I never got that. Maybe screen protector?
Thanks, that sticky plastic is bigger than camera so don't think it is a screen protector.
Deal Guru
Sep 13, 2007
11105 posts
6746 upvotes
Toronto
yanksingh wrote: Thanks, that sticky plastic is bigger than camera so don't think it is a screen protector.
Where did u order it from?
Jul 24, 2020
2 posts
Hello guys, could you please suggest good 360 degree camera under $200. Thank you!
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
2399 posts
1088 upvotes
So I got the Viofo A119 v3 from OCD Tronic but the camera records at a very low volume which keeps randomly going up and down for split seconds. Anyone else experience same issues? Do I have a faulty unit?
“You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. -Wayne Gretzky"
- Michael Scott
Banned
Oct 10, 2020
1037 posts
622 upvotes
BeapChastard wrote: Well my 801 mini or whatever it was called finally died, I got 6 yrs out of it so I'm not complaining, but now not sure what to buy as a replacement. I just want a basic, reliable camera, don't need gps or wifi or anything like that. I think 1080p is good enough. I want a small discrete form factor.

I'm considering these:

Blueskysea B1W - everyone says this camera costs $50 but I can't find it for under $80. Is this still a good buy at $80? I do like the small size and form factor.

This Aukey camera is $93 and I like the low profile look: https://www.amazon.ca/AUKEY-Wide-Angle- ... 0754XS67W/

The Viofo A119V3 is $140 if I use the promo code above (thanks kevinyvr). Is this camera worth the extra $47 over the Aukey one?

Any other suggestions?
"English Voice Control 70mai 1 S" ( CAD$54 shipped via trackable "Aliexpress Standard" and free return within 15 days )

It has a Starvis IMX 307 CMOS ( http://wiki.veye.cc/index.php/CS-MIPI-I ... VIS_Module )

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3292603 ... hweb201603_
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1459 posts
629 upvotes
Canada
MafiaHitman wrote: I just installed a MirrorTap into my buddies Grand Cherokee for his Uniden R5.

Crazy money for a mount and cable. The cable just taps into the plug for the mirror using little prongs. Super simple idea, and they making coin off of it.

I think it would be easy to take an old USB cable, cut it and so the same IMO, but would be for Dashcams with no parking mode.

Hell they sell them for $20, and you can make them for free with old USB cables.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R7JGCL1
You'd also need a converter, not just old USB cable. Some vehicles are also equipped with a constant power wire for the mirror, so it can be used for parking mode cams with proper wiring.

$20 is still too much since someone else already selling a similar one for $5: https://www.amazon.ca/Converter-Module- ... B07QTKXHVH
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2001
2014 posts
665 upvotes
Calgary
tntdeal wrote: You'd also need a converter, not just old USB cable.
MirrorTap is just a cable, no converter, just a small fuse, that taps into the ACC wire on the mirror with little prongs, and has a plug that goes to radar detectors and dashcams. That said, I assume these are all 12v, thus no converter.

I agree most would be 5v, needing the converter, but you get my jist... charging a ton, for a simple design.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4695 posts
4968 upvotes
GTA
The micro USB output is 5V. And the item description says you need to plug it into 12V. That thing inside the shrink wrap is a voltage divider PCB (converter), and not just a fuse.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4695 posts
4968 upvotes
GTA
Has it always been this difficult to buy a high endurance microSD card here in Canada?

I'm having a real hard time finding either Sandisk High Endurance or Samsung Pro Endurance cards through any official channels. Only 3rd party sellers on Amazon, none of Sandisk's retailers have them, and the Samsung card isn't even listed on their Canada website.

I've only been able to find the Kingston Endurance card, but I've already seen 2 reviews that say it won't work with my dashcam.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
derass wrote: Has it always been this difficult to buy a high endurance microSD card here in Canada?

I'm having a real hard time finding either Sandisk High Endurance or Samsung Pro Endurance cards through any official channels. Only 3rd party sellers on Amazon, none of Sandisk's retailers have them, and the Samsung card isn't even listed on their Canada website.

I've only been able to find the Kingston Endurance card, but I've already seen 2 reviews that say it won't work with my dashcam.
I don't know what cam you have but my cam "required" HD but it's normally not true for most cameras. Ordered this https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07HHD7C7T and used etcher to format in fat32. Worked great.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4695 posts
4968 upvotes
GTA
Yeah, it's easy to find a "standard" microSD like that. But I'd like to get one of the new generation cards that have been specifically designed for continuous overwriting like in dashcams and surveillance cams.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4695 posts
4968 upvotes
GTA
Thanks, they actually came up in my search. I'm glad to hear B&H is good to deal with, looks like buying from them won't be too much more expensive than if I could get it in Canada.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)