Automotive

[Merged] In car camera recommendations?

Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2009
1534 posts
87 upvotes
Planet X
You could always use a pocket camcorder and a modified suction cup GPS windshield mount.
You can get knockoff Garmin mounts on Ebay for $4-$6 shipped.

Pocket cams are cheap cheap cheap.

You can get Kodak ZI6's or Vado HD's for about $50-$70 now.
.... I see, a bright past ....
but it's starting to dim.
May 27, 2007
15655 posts
3042 upvotes
Toronto
MeiserT wrote:
Jan 24th, 2011 8:20 am
You could always use a pocket camcorder and a modified suction cup GPS windshield mount.

but you'd have to turn it on manually every time?

just bought this for $50: http://cgi.ebay.com/Car-Black-Box-Dash- ... 0547050001
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
5870 posts
1755 upvotes
MeiserT wrote:
Jan 24th, 2011 3:20 am

I can imagine it wouldn't be fun to get T-boned and having that become a lethal projectile in the passenger compartment. o_o
Jun 15, 2006
441 posts
128 upvotes
Mississauga
Can't speak to the GoPro cam, which I also believe is quite good. But it is important to get a camera with a wide angle lens. Otherwise it is pretty pointless, because if you are getting it to have evidence in an accident, you will need as best a view as possible. Nothing would be more frustrating than having a dash cam, and then it not properly catching the video you'd need in the first place.

In regards to all the news coverage stating that I had it because of a previous accident, and people making the assumption that I was screwed-- I wasn't screwed. I simply had a car turn left in front of my vehicle at an intersection on a green light. I couldn't avoid him and got hit. Naturally he tried to make it a no-fault situation by claiming excuses...it took up my time by having to go to a court not close to my house or work (as a witness). If I had a camera, I could have saved a lot of my time and proved him guilty on the spot. If you're going to buy one, spend the extra $40 or $60 to get one with a wide angle lens (mine was from eBay).
Feb 25, 2010
686 posts
20 upvotes
If you're in an accident will the police seize your camera as evidence?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 25, 2004
5653 posts
147 upvotes
New Westminster
sjparker wrote:
Jan 26th, 2011 1:33 pm
Will they? who knows ... can they? Yes
Banned
Nov 7, 2010
659 posts
24 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
hmmm does the camera just record to a memory card?
does this mean you just keep re-writing new videos as it records unless you save it onto your comp?

thx
May 27, 2007
15655 posts
3042 upvotes
Toronto
vonster wrote:
Jan 26th, 2011 9:57 pm
hmmm does the camera just record to a memory card?
does this mean you just keep re-writing new videos as it records unless you save it onto your comp?

thx

it overwrites the oldest video files when the memory card is full.
so unless you want to save all of your driving scenaries, theres really no need to download videos from the memory card.
just save whatever you thought was interesting and pop the card back into the camera again.
RedFlagDeals.com
Mar 7, 2009
780 posts
11 upvotes
Marx0r wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2011 1:14 pm
Just picked up the first one, with an 8GB Class 6 ADATA Micro SD card. It doesn't seem to work right.. just freezes up right after turning on. Works fine in USB mode though, lol.

you don't have the battery inserted properly, I bought the same one last weekend and I had the same problem. As you can see, the battery doesn't fit very well so just play with it and it will go in. The battery doesn't last long either so any set-up plan on having it always charging
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3307 posts
297 upvotes
AcidBomber wrote:
Jan 24th, 2011 8:25 am
but you'd have to turn it on manually every time?

just bought this for $50: http://cgi.ebay.com/Car-Black-Box-Dash- ... 0547050001

Ha. Got the same one from this exact person and was not working. Sent it back and never heard from him/her ever since after 3 emails. So good luck. The quality is really bad. Got another one from DX eventually with additional flipout screen to check the recorded video. I'd cancel the order if I were you.
FS : DSL Modem, Promise NS4300N NAS, Nokia 7710, PM Me
May 27, 2007
15655 posts
3042 upvotes
Toronto
Jan 27th, 2011 7:28 am
Ha. Got the same one from this exact person and was not working. Sent it back and never heard from him/her ever since after 3 emails. So good luck. The quality is really bad. Got another one from DX eventually with additional flipout screen to check the recorded video. I'd cancel the order if I were you.

too late now. already shipped. hopefully mine works, else i'll be sure to get my money back.
RedFlagDeals.com
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2001
3554 posts
67 upvotes
sjparker wrote:
Jan 26th, 2011 1:33 pm

I thought I read somewhere that the police can't seize these if you're on public property while doing the filming.
What the H E double hockey sticks have I done now?
× < >