Expired Hot Deals

[Cineplex] Cineplex: UltraAVX Movie Pass or 1000 Scene Points (with purchase of BR/DVD)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 23rd, 2013 1:04 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2009
1083 posts
134 upvotes
Kinda off topic, but I finally got my Avengers blu-ray ($19.99) and total FML moment when I opened the package. It came in a DVD case but does actually contain a blu-ray and DVD copy. Kinda pissed because it totally screws up my collection now. Probably never ordering from Cineplex ever again.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2007
4328 posts
665 upvotes
London
ECBomb wrote:
Jun 8th, 2013 10:52 pm
Kinda off topic, but I finally got my Avengers blu-ray ($19.99) and total FML moment when I opened the package. It came in a DVD case but does actually contain a blu-ray and DVD copy. Kinda pissed because it totally screws up my collection now. Probably never ordering from Cineplex ever again.
That's dumb. Is that factory packaging or did they re-package it in a DVD case? I received my 4 blu-rays this week and the packaging is fine.
Mar 16, 2013
9 posts
1 upvote
spham wrote:
Jun 9th, 2013 12:28 am
That's dumb. Is that factory packaging or did they re-package it in a DVD case? I received my 4 blu-rays this week and the packaging is fine.
It has nothing to do with Cineplex. It is a Disney thing. Some of their Blu Ray releases are in DVD jewel cases. It may be to help differentiate between the 17 different versions of each movie they release on video.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2012
1924 posts
351 upvotes
Toronto
My shipping email says that 3 passes are shipped with 1 dvd and other 2 dvds are on back-order.. I hope they do send 3 passes along with first shipment.. Coz I don't want to wait till the last moment to get 2 passes with my 2 dvds..
----
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
6564 posts
527 upvotes
Victoria
jerryhung wrote:
Jun 9th, 2013 1:31 pm
As I see this promo from other sites, is it still a good deal?

e.g. I added a $9 Digital movie and I see a Cineplex UltraAvx Pass (PASS) in my cart ($17.99) value...seems like a good deal
I thoght the deal was 1000 points for buying digital movies and an ultraavx pass for buying dvd/bluray's.

I kind of like the 1000 points. 1000 points get you access to any movie all the way up to Imax 3d (or even a VIP movie). No restrictions and you can book them online. UltraAVX passes don't include 3D so there could be extra costs.

On the flip side there are no longer any digital movies for less than 9.99. There are some dvd's for less.. which makes ultraavx passes cheaper. I guess it depends what you need the passes for.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1391 posts
5 upvotes
Scarborough
i just bought 2 digital movies for $9.99 each to receive 2100 points, wonder how long it will take to show up in my scene card balance
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2012
2290 posts
404 upvotes
Toronto
Did anybody try using UltraAVX admissions for regular movies? I thought we could but the ticket says "Valid for UltraAVX presentations only".
¯\_(・_・)_/¯
This line is heavy..
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2287 posts
373 upvotes
North York
I'd much rather to get the points than the actual movie pass. Love using my points for combos
Feb 16, 2009
8 posts
Edmonton
beppy wrote:
Jun 9th, 2013 4:08 pm
i just bought 2 digital movies for $9.99 each to receive 2100 points, wonder how long it will take to show up in my scene card balance
Takes about a day.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2009
1083 posts
134 upvotes
spham wrote:
Jun 9th, 2013 12:28 am
I'm guessing it's factory packaging because the print out sleeve is the same size as the DVD case. If it's a repackage, I'd imagine the print out sleeve intended for blu-ray disks would be a bit shorter. Needless to say it looks butt-ugly in my collection.
canuckgameguy wrote:
Jun 9th, 2013 9:28 am
It has nothing to do with Cineplex. It is a Disney thing. Some of their Blu Ray releases are in DVD jewel cases. It may be to help differentiate between the 17 different versions of each movie they release on video.
I didn't realize some blu-ray are released in DVD cases, definitely an annoyance and I don't get why they have so many different versions tbh. SMH
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
6564 posts
527 upvotes
Victoria
ECBomb wrote:
Jun 9th, 2013 10:49 pm
I didn't realize some blu-ray are released in DVD cases, definitely an annoyance and I don't get why they have so many different versions tbh. SMH
I don't think its too common. In fact The Avengers was the first time I'd seen it (I noticed it on Amazon when I bought a copy a while back). My best guess is one is considered DVD + Bluray, and the other is considered Bluray + DVD. I guess its gives people with DVD players the opportunity to future proof, but also make it so it fits in their dvd collection. I guess the problem was Cineplex didn't include enough info.. amazon did a pretty good job of it: http://www.amazon.com/Marvels-Avengers- ... engers+blu

Personally I never use the extra disc so it seems like a waste. I'd rather save a buck or two and have a bluray only copy.
Deal Guru
Nov 5, 2001
10515 posts
1112 upvotes
ECBomb wrote:
Jun 8th, 2013 10:52 pm

It's Disney that does this. Some OCD freaks probably complained to Disney that their Blu Ray cases clashed with their existing DVD case collection and requested the new combo packs be available in both type of case.

I have a combo pack from Shoppers Drug Mart that is the same way.

I would return the movie to Cineplex and request a Blu Ray case combo pack. They are pretty good about replacements, I had a blu ray movie with a broken case and they just sent another for free and told me to dispose of the defective one...
× < >