Ongoing Deal Discussion

Clearly

The Contact Lens COUPONS Thread (Coastal Contacts/Clearly Contacts+more)

Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3948 posts
1380 upvotes
Vancouver
predator314 wrote: As for Costco and prescriptions.. I've found that no where around Calgary will order/sell you contacts unless THEY do a contact lens fitting that they'll charge you for. ie. I paid $15 to get a free trial pair and fitting done at WalMart, as soon as I didn't buy my lenses through them but online they won't let me buy from them without another fitting and Costco, Superstore said same.

I get mine from clearlycontacts.ca and just Call them to place the order and get them to price match www.contactlensking.com

I just ordered mine B&L Purevision Toric, regular price from them was $136, with the VISA2009 code it was $110, price matched to Contact Lens King came out to $102..

They place a 'fake'/test order on the site they'll price match and use the total (lenses+handling+shipping to canada) then convert to Canadian Dollars as the price match.

I did the conversion using today's exchange rate and it was $106, but they said $102 so yay me! :-)

Another trick you can do... Place regular order online with them (no coupons)... Within 10 days of ordering, call and get them to do the 'Clearly Contacts 110% Price Guarantee'. You'll get 110% of the difference between what you order total was without coupons and say the total from Contact Lens King.

In my situation it would have been $98.66 if I did the 110% guarantee. but I didn't want to bother with the hassle.
Thanks for the heads up w/ Contactlensking. I just did a PM with Clearlycontacts and saved $50! Ordered Purevision sphere and toric ... orig price was 226, after pricematch it was 170. They won't honour their coupon code on top of that though.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2004
2097 posts
319 upvotes
Toronto
Has anyone purchased from Todayslens.com? I see it discussed as a place to price match but not really seeing people buying from there (and how it is, i.e. whether everything is fine when claiming with an insurance company).

I want to buy a brand (Proclear Torics) and it's not available on Clearly Contacts :( So I need to look for alternative websites to buy it before going to my optician (where it will cost $76 a box).
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2002
1142 posts
246 upvotes
BC
i have a question regarding "Free" trial color contacts. Both acuvue and freshlook have these trial contacts, but it seems like i have to pay for eye exam and other fees to get it, is that true? i only have eyeglasses prescription, how much should i expect to pay to get these "free" contacts? if i gotta pay over $20, i might as well just buy a box online.

is there a way i can just a FREE FREE color contact just to try with any fees?

can i even a non-prescription (no correction) color trial pair for free?

any experince with good places to go to in Richmond, BC for this?
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20136 posts
2964 upvotes
Got a new code for clearlycontacts.ca

SUPERSAVERCA = 10% off , expires march 31
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Mar 28, 2006
26 posts
i just ordered from clearly, i tried all the promo codes,but not many worked, only a couple of the 10% did, but of course, i was determined to find better.
so i called to make my order on the phone instead, and the CSR put a code for me so that it gave me 10% plus free shipping. i asked her what it was and it was NEW10
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20136 posts
2964 upvotes
elissa_m wrote: i just ordered from clearly, i tried all the promo codes,but not many worked, only a couple of the 10% did, but of course, i was determined to find better.
so i called to make my order on the phone instead, and the CSR put a code for me so that it gave me 10% plus free shipping. i asked her what it was and it was NEW10
New10 is only good for new customers, it is advertised right on their home page (click the big "New Customer" banner"_
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Jul 10, 2006
499 posts
24 upvotes
Was just wondering if anyone could tell me if O2 Optix were good for dry eyes, I have pretty bad dry eyes after going on accutane..
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2007
1001 posts
386 upvotes
Toronto
I'm choosing between purevision toric, softlens toric and encore (vertex) toric. I prefer to go for pure or soft since Bausch and Lomb has been well reviewed while there aren't many reviews on the encore's. The problem is my base curve is 8.6 while the B&L's are either 8.7 or 8.5 and the encore one is 8.6

Does 0.1 base curve make a difference? Would it be better to go 0.1 tighter with the 8.5 or 0.1 looser with the 8.7?
Jul 10, 2006
499 posts
24 upvotes
stryder1587 wrote: I'm choosing between purevision toric, softlens toric and encore (vertex) toric. I prefer to go for pure or soft since Bausch and Lomb has been well reviewed while there aren't many reviews on the encore's. The problem is my base curve is 8.6 while the B&L's are either 8.7 or 8.5 and the encore one is 8.6

Does 0.1 base curve make a difference? Would it be better to go 0.1 tighter with the 8.5 or 0.1 looser with the 8.7?
There generally isn't much risk if you go to the 8.7 (it will be looser) although there is always the SLIGHT chance that it might slip around your eye more. The 8.5 will be tighter, and therefore can cut off the amount of oxygen your eye gets. The 8.5 would be more comfortable but worse for your eye. Although .1 from 8.6 to 8.5 probably isn't going to make much of a health risk.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3948 posts
1380 upvotes
Vancouver
stryder1587 wrote: I'm choosing between purevision toric, softlens toric and encore (vertex) toric. I prefer to go for pure or soft since Bausch and Lomb has been well reviewed while there aren't many reviews on the encore's. The problem is my base curve is 8.6 while the B&L's are either 8.7 or 8.5 and the encore one is 8.6

Each company's basecurve is different. I'd spend the extra money and get fitted for the Purevisions.... just because B&L lenses get good reviews doesn't mean you'll fit in them perfectly. It's a big risk ordering contacts you've never worn before. You won't know if it fits well and you could damage your eyes.

I wear Purevisions currently and when I tried the Air Optix my eyes just would not tolerate them, even though my optometrist says they fit perfectly. Sometimes you could be sensitive to the material of the lenses too....
Deal Addict
May 17, 2004
1727 posts
155 upvotes
Moocha wrote: Was just wondering if anyone could tell me if O2 Optix were good for dry eyes, I have pretty bad dry eyes after going on accutane..
I found the O2 Optix were very over-drying at first, but eventually got used to them. You might want to go to a local optical and try out a trial pair before buying if you're overly concerned.
Mar 28, 2008
629 posts
415 upvotes

0.1 doesn't matter as long as it's comfortable. The climate is very important for soft contact lenses. If your city is dry, it's best to choose 0.1 more because contacts shrink when they dry up.

If the lens constantly shift away from the centre of your eye then you should go for 0.1 smaller.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2007
1001 posts
386 upvotes
Toronto
I'm in London, ON for another 2 months, then Toronto for most of my life. I'm guessing more dry than it is moist?

BTW Does anybody know where to get free trials/fitting for contact lenses without any commitments? Do I need to print out coupons? My optometrist is back in Toronto, so looking for some sort of retailer or other...
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2004
2097 posts
319 upvotes
Toronto
stryder1587 wrote: I'm in London, ON for another 2 months, then Toronto for most of my life. I'm guessing more dry than it is moist?

BTW Does anybody know where to get free trials/fitting for contact lenses without any commitments? Do I need to print out coupons? My optometrist is back in Toronto, so looking for some sort of retailer or other...
Walmart. But they kind of expect you to buy from them, just like any other place that offers trial lenses. It's a $15 fitting fee.
Apr 26, 2007
89 posts
14 upvotes
Markham
hi, i was wondering if anyone of you have been charged at $12-13 handling fee with clearlycontacts.ca? I've been doing my reasearch here on RFD before making my first online contacts purchase and so I was shocked when I was finally ready to make my purchase, the Clearlycontacts.ca rep told me that this handling fee is included in every order and is completely different from the shipping fee. Has anyone else encountered this? I did a search for this and didn't come up with anything really regarding this. Maybe I missed it? Or was I being ripped off? I ended up just telling her that I'd call again after this and my failed attempt at PM with Vision Direct( told me Vision Direct price is higher than theirs after exchange). :confused:
May 1, 2007
631 posts
1 upvote
fuc847 wrote: i have a question regarding "Free" trial color contacts. Both acuvue and freshlook have these trial contacts, but it seems like i have to pay for eye exam and other fees to get it, is that true? i only have eyeglasses prescription, how much should i expect to pay to get these "free" contacts? if i gotta pay over $20, i might as well just buy a box online.

is there a way i can just a FREE FREE color contact just to try with any fees?

can i even a non-prescription (no correction) color trial pair for free?

any experince with good places to go to in Richmond, BC for this?
BTDT.

Trial contacts will have a "TRIAL" embedded on them, not recommended for daily wear. This is just for evaluation purposes.

Your best bet is to buy your own pair.
looneygurl wrote: hi, i was wondering if anyone of you have been charged at $12-13 handling fee with clearlycontacts.ca?
I ordered last year and was charged a $7.92 handling fee. Isnt shipping free?
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2004
2097 posts
319 upvotes
Toronto
SirAlain wrote: BTDT.

Trial contacts will have a "TRIAL" embedded on them, not recommended for daily wear. This is just for evaluation purposes.

Your best bet is to buy your own pair.

WHUT? None of my trials have had "TRIAL" embedded on them. They've always been regular contacts, same thing as the retail versions. I've never tried Acuvue ones so maybe those have that, but the B&L, Proclear, and Air Optix (Ciba Vision) ones I've tried were all normal.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2007
1001 posts
386 upvotes
Toronto
I dont know if this has been answered, but my problem is that one of my eyes has a cylinder of -1.00 and the axis values are 003 and 178. I called up a guy on clearly and they said those are eyeglass prescriptions since they are so accurate. In case this is a commonly encountered problem, I figured I might post and ask.

All the toric lenses being sold don't come in those cylindrical or axis values.
How should the values be rounded?

Cylinder
-1.00 --> -0.75 or -1.25.

Axis
003 --> 000 or 010
175 --> 170 or 180
Feb 28, 2009
95 posts
1 upvote
hey everyone.
I'm new here, but have been reading this thread for a few days. I'm in desperate need of lenses!

I use Encore Toric lenses. My optical totally ripped me off by charging me $140 for 2 boxes. I've done a bit of research and the general consensus seems to order from clearlycontacts. <they charge around $108cad. I just found a site called todayslens.com. They sell 2 boxes for about $60. I don't know. Sounds a bit too good to be true. Has anyone ordered from them!? ORRR do Walmarts/Costco sell Toric lenses? thanks guys!

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)