Shopping Discussion

[Merged] Are Costco memberships worth it?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 8th, 2013 7:58 pm
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18493 posts
926 upvotes
Why does it seem like someone reboots this exact same thread every 6 months?

I count 8 different "Costco <foobar> worth it" threads currently active.

https://encrypted.google.com/search?oq= ... o+worth+it

The short answer is "we have 5 kids" -> yes. You will save your membership fee in savings on milk and gas alone.

Also you would be surprised on the prices for things like grains and flour. You will probably find Costco's prices lower than your co-op for many of the items you are quoting.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
[OP]
Dec 25, 2011
13 posts
Carleton Place
woof, my problem wasn't with your advice - it was the general snobby, self-important tone of your post and the fact that you accused me of "whining". Seriously, you can catch more bees with honey.

If you thought I should just go out and get a bloody membership, just tell me that. You don't have to insult me first. It has nothing to do with not "liking" you - I don't even know you. However, as far as first impressions go, the one you give is pretty horrifying.

Also, I'm not "procrastinating". With the help of the lovely people in this forum, I'm trying to figure out if it's worth dragging my three children 35km away to sift through a minefield of "potential" deals. If I deem that it isn't worth it for my family, I wouldn't think twice about it again unless some variable drastically changes (eg. something expensive goes on sale there that we need, or we move closer etc.) in which case I would reevaluate my position.
[OP]
Dec 25, 2011
13 posts
Carleton Place
brunes, even if I had known that there were umpteen other threads about whether Costco memberships were worthwhile, I was fairly certain my family's buying habits weren't "average" and as such I still would have posted this thread asking the same question.

My question is... why would anyone care if the same thread is rebooted every so often? There are a million threads on these boards... surely if you're bored of seeing the same thread over and over again you could ignore it and move onto something more interesting?

ETA: You probably didn't read the part where I said we don't live near any Costco gas stations... Also, we don't drink cow's milk so that also doesn't factor.

ETA again: I get my flour wholesale... also, my MIL who runs the coop does also have a Costco membership and the coop is by far cheaper.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18493 posts
926 upvotes
mum23js wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 5:42 pm
brutus, even if I had known that there were umpteen other threads about whether Costco memberships were worthwhile, I was fairly certain my family's buying habits weren't "average" and as such I still would have posted this thread asking the same question.
Your buying habits seem pretty average to me for any family with lots of kids.. why do you think you are "not average" ?
My question is... why would anyone care if the same thread is rebooted every so often?
Because they take up limited space in the Newest 40 post list. And every time someone replies (putting the same info that was in the other thread last month, so nothing new gained), it bumps it up again. Like this post I am posting right now is making the problem worse. I hate myself.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
[OP]
Dec 25, 2011
13 posts
Carleton Place
gman, lol... you have a point actually. I manage to fit my 3 kids in the back of our Honda Civic (using a sunshine kids radian car seat)...(and we have a large german shepherd/rottweiler mix dog... ask me how we get to the cottage 3 hours away in the summer. It's a clown car).

With the hockey equipment there wouldn't leave much room for anything else.
[OP]
Dec 25, 2011
13 posts
Carleton Place
brunes... you think our buying habits are average? Really? :razz: I'm pretty sure we're in a fairly slim minority, just with being part of a coop let alone the fact that we have gluten and dairy sensitivities in the household.

ETA: I just read the other Costco threads you gave me, and none of them have the same information that people have provided me in this thread. As far as I can see, almost every one of the threads has a family with a totally different set of variables, making the threads completely different.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
1032 posts
157 upvotes
Ottawa
Cas77 wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 8:53 am
Please show me 2 examples of an item more expensive in Kanata than Nepean? Don't give me any x.97cents items..all warehouses clear things out based on inventory and new items needing shelf space. I'm curious.

Costco is always at the top of the list here (I'm not counting anything 30+ min outside the city):
http://www.ottawagasprices.com/

If you look at that list, gas in the east is consistently 4 cents more expensive than in the west. That wasn't the case 2 years ago...
Well, the coconut in the costco east thread is $2 more expensive in Kanata, and LOTS of the items don't seem to be available at Kanata. That is all I can remember since it's been weeks since I've been at the Merivale store anyway.

I find the costco gas is slow to rise, and slow to drop. When everyone drops their prices costco takes forever. The few cents I'll save at costco isn't worth the wait, the ***** drivers, and not being able to get cashback on my credit card. I'm also rarely in the area so it doesn't really matter! The Ultramar at Merivale & Capilano is also pretty cheap.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18493 posts
926 upvotes
mum23js wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 5:57 pm
brunes... you think our buying habits are average? Really? :razz: I'm pretty sure we're in a fairly slim minority, just with being part of a coop let alone the fact that we have gluten and dairy sensitivities in the household.
You never said anything about either of those until this post.

As far as being part of a coop... I dunno maybe it is different where you are but around here everyone and their dog is part of one co-op or another it seems.

They still all end up shopping at Costco though.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2003
1030 posts
140 upvotes
Ottawa
lennyandcarl wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 6:03 pm
Well, the coconut in the costco east thread is $2 more expensive in Kanata, and LOTS of the items don't seem to be available at Kanata. That is all I can remember since it's been weeks since I've been at the Merivale store anyway.

I find the costco gas is slow to rise, and slow to drop. When everyone drops their prices costco takes forever. The few cents I'll save at costco isn't worth the wait, the ***** drivers, and not being able to get cashback on my credit card. I'm also rarely in the area so it doesn't really matter! The Ultramar at Merivale & Capilano is also pretty cheap.
Yup the Ultramar on Merivale is always on top of keeping their prices just below the competitors along the strip.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
7977 posts
1179 upvotes
London
Kuurgen wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 4:44 pm
4. Propane. $10-$12 to fill propane tanks when everybody else wants $25 for a tank exchange. (this almost pays for the membership by itself!)
The propane at Costco is a good deal. Your example is ludicrous. At least compare apples to apples.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2001
2318 posts
229 upvotes
Ajax
Ottomaddox wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 5:56 pm
The propane at Costco is a good deal. Your example is ludicrous. At least compare apples to apples.
I know a tank exchange is not the same as a fill up. However in my area propane filling is few and far between. So if I'm not filling up at Costco it's a tank exchange.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2007
3531 posts
412 upvotes
Regina
gluten and dairy sensitivities, costco has a lot of options there for you...i would prob try and then cancel if it wasnt working for you as stated previously...personally when we were 20 minutes away it was debatable if it was worth it...a lot of fruit options there...lots of family come in and come with us and buy big ticket items that is when it pays for itself and then some
Jan 15, 2008
39 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
mum23js wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 2:55 pm
Are Costco memberships worth it?
Dunno. Pay a Costco member $25 to buy you a $25 Costco gift card. Then go in and shop. You don't have to be a member.

In June 2011, "NT" at [url]http://*****.ca/costco-pharmacy-no-membership-no-problem/[/url] wrote:
The gift card idea is definitely true. I used to get my mother in law to buy me a $25 card, and I would just show that to get in. Anything I bought above that amount, I could pay with cash. Membership fee avoided!
And http://www.costco.ca/Costco-Cash-Card.p ... 84381.html currently says:
You must be a Costco member to purchase or reload Costco Cash Cards. Members and non-members may use the cash cards to shop at any Costco location in Canada, the United States, Puerto Rico, online at Costco.ca or on Costco.com.

The Costco Cash card features include:
  • Can be purchased in denominations from $25 to $1,000
Aug 19, 2010
124 posts
11 upvotes
GTA
mum23js wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 9:45 am
Thanks guys. I think if I'm in the city anyways I'll wander through and check it out but otherwise I'm not going to make a special trip out of it.

The only reason I really asked is because so many family/friends seem shocked that we don't have a costco membership because we're pretty thrifty and they see Costco as the mecca of thriftiness or something, though I've heard a lot of conflicting arguments and know enough about Costco to know what we wouldn't be buying.

:)
:confused:
× < >