None
[OP]
Jun 17, 2006
980 posts
56 upvotes
Bethel

[Costco] Costco: Organic Coconut Oil 1.53kg $16.99

Update October 2012:
I just saw Carrington Farms Organic Virgin Cold Pressed Coconut Oil 1.53kg, same size as the Nutiva 54ozer, at Costco Queensway for $16.99! I still have some from my last order, so I hope Costco will continue carrying this.

Original Thread; wrote: Nutiva Coconut Oil 54oz/1.6L - $29.99

Anyone looking for the 54oz/1.6L jar of Nutiva's cold-pressed, organic, kosher, extra-virgin coconut oil, NationalNutrition.ca (warehouse is in Orillia, Ontario) has it on sale for $29.99.

Orders over $79 get free shipping.
Shipping time for me to GTA was 2 days.
I saw some people in the past on RFD ask about buying this in bulk, so I decided to post this deal here.

There are studies underway on how coconut oil (MCT) helps people who have dementia and/or Alzheimer's; the medium chain triglycerides/ketones found in coconut oil seem to act as glucose in the brain and help improve memory in these patients. (See below - Dr. Newport interview.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iScs0uzQZFk

If anyone has info on getting a similar quality coconut oil, cheaper, please share!
Let us, in short, do the work that is before us so that when our time here is over, we will all watch the sun go down, as we all must, and say truly that we have prepared our children for the dawn. -Bill Clinton, Aug 30, 1996

Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn. Mat 13:30
172 replies
Oct 24, 2005
385 posts
36 upvotes
Have you ordered from here before? Their prices on Metagenics is quite good...any feedback?
[OP]
Jun 17, 2006
980 posts
56 upvotes
Bethel
Chubbychicken wrote:
Feb 16th, 2012 2:16 pm
Have you ordered from here before? Their prices on Metagenics is quite good...any feedback?

I was pretty impressed with the shipping.

Packaging was excellent! Everything was bubble wrapped, as I also ordered some glass bottles and they got here safe and sound.

Almost forgot to mention - I got the free goji berries as per their coupon section. :D (Check out the coupon section link at the top of their homepage as a scrolling advert.) I entered what I wanted as my freebie in the notes section of my order, and sure enough, it was included in my order, no charge.
Let us, in short, do the work that is before us so that when our time here is over, we will all watch the sun go down, as we all must, and say truly that we have prepared our children for the dawn. -Bill Clinton, Aug 30, 1996

Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn. Mat 13:30
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2008
2172 posts
193 upvotes
Been thinking of switching to coconut oil. Is this a good price?
Sep 19, 2006
155 posts
37 upvotes
Chr1s wrote:
Feb 16th, 2012 2:29 pm
I was pretty impressed with the shipping.

Packaging was excellent! Everything was bubble wrapped, as I also ordered some glass bottles and they got here safe and sound.

Almost forgot to mention - I got the free goji berries as per their coupon section. :D (Check out the coupon section link at the top of their homepage as a scrolling advert.) I entered what I wanted as my freebie in the notes section of my order, and sure enough, it was included in my order, no charge.

I second that! Great place to order from and they will match a lower price if you call in. Lots of free stuff if you order over $150. :)
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2005
3336 posts
318 upvotes
Kitchener
Chr1s wrote:
Feb 16th, 2012 1:57 pm
There are studies underway on how coconut oil (MCT) helps people who have dementia and/or Alzheimer's; the medium chain triglycerides/ketones found in coconut oil seem to act as glucose in the brain and help improve memory in these patients. (See below - Dr. Newport interview.)
Anything published? Can't find anything on pubmed.
Heatware 6-0-0
[OP]
Jun 17, 2006
980 posts
56 upvotes
Bethel
Thundercloud wrote:
Feb 16th, 2012 3:32 pm
Anything published? Can't find anything on pubmed.

See here

wrote: Neurobiol Aging. 2004 Mar;25(3):311-4.
Effects of beta-hydroxybutyrate on cognition in memory-impaired adults.
Reger MA, Henderson ST, Hale C, Cholerton B, Baker LD, Watson GS, Hyde K, Chapman D, Craft S.
Source

Accera, Inc., Aurora, CO 80010, USA.
Abstract

Glucose is the brain's principal energy substrate. In Alzheimer's disease (AD), there appears to be a pathological decrease in the brain's ability to use glucose. Neurobiological evidence suggests that ketone bodies are an effective alternative energy substrate for the brain. Elevation of plasma ketone body levels through an oral dose of medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) may improve cognitive functioning in older adults with memory disorders. On separate days, 20 subjects with AD or mild cognitive impairment consumed a drink containing emulsified MCTs or placebo. Significant increases in levels of the ketone body beta-hydroxybutyrate (beta-OHB) were observed 90 min after treatment (P=0.007) when cognitive tests were administered. beta-OHB elevations were moderated by apolipoprotein E (APOE) genotype (P=0.036). For 4+ subjects, beta-OHB levels continued to rise between the 90 and 120 min blood draws in the treatment condition, while the beta-OHB levels of 4- subjects held constant (P<0.009). On cognitive testing, MCT treatment facilitated performance on the Alzheimer's Disease Assessment Scale-Cognitive Subscale (ADAS-cog) for 4- subjects, but not for 4+ subjects (P=0.04). Higher ketone values were associated with greater improvement in paragraph recall with MCT treatment relative to placebo across all subjects (P=0.02). Additional research is warranted to determine the therapeutic benefits of MCTs for patients with AD and how APOE-4 status may mediate beta-OHB efficacy.

Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
2376 posts
163 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
That's what my superstore sells it for on and off. For $5 off no biggie. This will last you a good while too. I use it for my dry hands.

Medium chain fatty acid. Straight to the brain.
Jan 15, 2008
856 posts
49 upvotes
Oil country
Thanks OP.
(old thread, but good to see folks getting on to pure coconut oil).
Hopefully the more popular it gets, the sooner prices drop.

Someone should start a Coconut oil megathread. Would be nice to see when/where it goes on sale or general prices etc.
Jan 15, 2008
856 posts
49 upvotes
Oil country
napoleon1769 wrote:
Mar 28th, 2012 3:39 am
1.6L? Isn't that really small?
If your a cook at a restaurant, then ya probably 1.6L is too small. The avg family household this is a very good economic size. It all depends on your daily usage.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2004
1321 posts
119 upvotes
I ordered from these guys based on this thread. I ordered 2 bottles of coconut oil and 2 bottles of supplements. Good prices, quick shipping, and very well packed. Thanks OP
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2004
1321 posts
119 upvotes
napoleon1769 wrote:
Mar 28th, 2012 6:03 pm
Thanks. Does anyone know when this product expire or it's shelf life? Do you have to keep it in the fridge?

I can't remember offhand, but I think it's at least a year, possibly two.
Jan 15, 2008
856 posts
49 upvotes
Oil country
SkiLLz wrote:
Mar 28th, 2012 6:33 pm
I can't remember offhand, but I think it's at least a year, possibly two.
The stamp on the bottom of the jar I got today says bb 02/14.
× < >