Tags:
None
139 replies
Oct 22, 2012
596 posts
50 upvotes
Jimboski wrote:
Dec 9th, 2012 1:28 am
2 Year contracts In Canada? Not going to happen. We get gouged on everything!
Rip off and no lube up that a$$ is almost synonymous with Canada lol.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3772 posts
300 upvotes
Toronto
Crtc is always in bed with the big 3. Never going to haooen
Deal Fanatic
Jun 27, 2004
9771 posts
484 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Even if they get rid of 3-year contracts, the providers can jack up the prices of the phones when selling with a 2-year contract.
Penalty Box
Oct 19, 2012
3343 posts
401 upvotes
Toronto
rabbit wrote:
Dec 9th, 2012 3:10 am
Even if they get rid of 3-year contracts, the providers can jack up the prices of the phones when selling with a 2-year contract.
Only idiots go into 3-year plans just to subsidize a phone, buy it outright and go with Wind or Mobolicity, I don't think Rogers/Bell will sell you a data plan without a 3-year sentence.
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6523 posts
953 upvotes
Vaughan
Gammatron wrote:
Dec 9th, 2012 7:08 am
Only idiots go into 3-year plans just to subsidize a phone, buy it outright and go with Wind or Mobolicity, I don't think Rogers/Bell will sell you a data plan without a 3-year sentence.
Not everyone lives in Wind or Mobilicitys terrible coverage zones.
Jul 6, 2009
212 posts
21 upvotes
When I want to watch TV, I buy a TV and then subscribe to a cable or satellite signal provider.

When I want to go on the interent, I buy a computer and then subscribe to an internet service provider.

Why is it that when it comes to cellular phones I almost always have to buy the device and the service from the same provider?

If I can buy a TV and a computer I do not see why I could not buy a cellular phone by myself.

In addition, since their contracts force us to pay for the phone if we leave before the end of the contract, the phones should at least be unlocked.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
6616 posts
458 upvotes
Toronto
You what?

Guys, the CRTC doesn't mandate 3 year contracts. Fact of the matter is you vote with your wallets. If you don't like 3 year contracts, don't buy into them. Get a 2 year one, buy the phone outright. Can't afford the phone? Don't buy it.

If the US market could sustain 3 year contracts they'd be all the rage, they tried it and failed. Why? People didn't buy into them. You the consumers have all the power here, use it.
Penalty Box
Feb 10, 2007
9450 posts
884 upvotes
but they allow 3 years contracts

theres a reason all telco in the states only offer 2 years contracts, because the government wont allow it for more than 2
ichpen wrote:
Dec 9th, 2012 11:21 am
You what?

Guys, the CRTC doesn't mandate 3 year contracts. Fact of the matter is you vote with your wallets. If you don't like 3 year contracts, don't buy into them. Get a 2 year one, buy the phone outright. Can't afford the phone? Don't buy it.

If the US market could sustain 3 year contracts they'd be all the rage, they tried it and failed. Why? People didn't buy into them. You the consumers have all the power here, use it.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
10413 posts
1106 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
squadz wrote:
Dec 9th, 2012 9:49 am
Not everyone lives in Wind or Mobilicitys terrible coverage zones.
I wouldn't say they are terrible but for isheep, you got no choice. Plus the coverage is spotty according to my friends. There is also the problem that if you go out of zone, it's pretty costly. I have to go to London roughly 2 times a month and I can't use my phone on the highway (stream music) or text or make calls without incurring costs. Plus it's only $5 cheaper if you compare my Fido plan to WIND $40 plan. My usage is absurdly low in the air time category.
ichpen wrote:
Dec 9th, 2012 11:21 am
You what?

I suggest you check the subsidized prices between 2 year and 3 year contracts then post here again.
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
15925 posts
355 upvotes
we need more competition. REAL competition. Not these $60 plans that all look the same.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
6616 posts
458 upvotes
Toronto
sexyj wrote:
Dec 9th, 2012 11:33 am
but they allow 3 years contracts

theres a reason all telco in the states only offer 2 years contracts, because the government wont allow it for more than 2
I'm aware of european law capping contract terms. Not aware of any US federal laws on this. Maybe you can point me in the right direction here.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
6616 posts
458 upvotes
Toronto
geokilla wrote:
Dec 9th, 2012 11:39 am
I suggest you check the subsidized prices between 2 year and 3 year contracts then post here again.
What should I check for? You pay more on 3 years.
× < >