Discount magazines (Wired, Popular Science, Motor Trend, etc.) $3 to $6/year

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 3rd, 2024 12:53 am
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2003
1066 posts
869 upvotes
Toronto

[Always] Discount magazines (Wired, Popular Science, Motor Trend, etc.) $3 to $6/year

More offers from Always
Many thanks to Pathfinder35, who put together this FAQ section.

Also, please remember to thank the person who posts the good deal.

Q. So how do I buy magazine subscriptions at US prices and have them delivered to my Canadian address?
Follow these simple steps:

1. Find a US address to use, it has to be a real (valid) American address and write it down so you remember it
2. Sign up for a magazine with that US address as your shipping address.
3. Wait 2-6 weeks and log on to the magazine's sub services/support page with your US address and/or email. If your account doesn't show up yet, wait another week or two. If you are able to log on, proceed to step 4.
4. Change your shipping address to your Canadian address.
5. Wait for your first issue to arrive in the mail and enjoy your magazine for less than a dollar/50 cents an issue!

Q What US address should I use?
An address of a relative or friend in USA would be great. If not, just choose any library, women’s shelter or other public organization’s address in US. If you can't change address later for some reason at least the magazines will still be read by someone. It also helps if you pick an easy to remember address.

Q I'm confused - when do I use my real address and when do I use an American address?
You use your real name and Canadian address for billing and the American name and address for a shipping address. For instance, you are buying a subscription for your “cousin” in the US. You get the bill, but the magazine goes to your “cousin” in the US.

Q So I can subscribe to any magazine at USA prices - great! What websites sell magazine subscriptions?
There are many magazine agencies that sell subscriptions for hundreds of magazines.
This thread generally lists subscriptions that are on sale for under $10.

Q For payment, should I use only a paypal account or can I use my credit card?
Paypal is preferable as you don't have to enter in a billing address but many people have also used a credit card with no problems.

Q Help - my Canadian billing address isn't being accepted in the billing address fields! What can I do?
If the website's billing address doesn`t accept Cdn postal code & province, try to enter those values along with street address in the street address 1& 2 fields and select something like Ontario for city and California - CA - for state and 00000 for zip, for example. Or select Paypal for billing option, if available.

Q I notice that are a lot of the posts on this thread are about magazines on sale on discountmags.com and Tanga.com. Are they safe and reputable sites?
Yes, many people have ordered subscriptions thru them and have had no problems.

Q. I've subscribed and changed my address but I haven't received my first issue yet. How long does it normally take to receive the first issue?
Please read this article to understand why it takes so long to receive your first issue:
http://www.articlesnatch.com/Article/Re ... Long/42862

In general:

Weekly Subscriptions take approximately 6-10 weeks to start
Monthly Subscriptions take approximately 8-12 weeks to start
Bi-Monthly and Quarterly subscriptions take 10-16 weeks to start

Q How about XYZmag.com site?
You'd have to post your question. There are lots of discount magazine sites we know some of them, but not all of them.

Q My account isn't showing up at the magazine's sub services webpage and I can't log on. It's been over a month. What should I do?
You can wait some more or you can email or phone the magazine and explain to them how you subscribed to their magazine but haven't been able to log on yet. You can also mention that you need to perform an address change.

Q Will they be suspicious if I call and talk to them?
No - many Americans move to Canada each year and need to have their magazine address changed. Generally the customer service agents are friendly and they are just glad that you are not cancelling your subscription.

Q If I can't change my shipping address to my Canadian address until after a month or longer, then I'll miss an issue. What should I do?
Once you've logged onto the magazine's website, most magazines allow you to report that you've missed an issue. They will extend your subscription by the number of missed issues.
Also remember that you are paying less than 50 cents per issue in most cases, so not a huge financial loss. This is the reason we suggest you use a shelter/library address in the USA so the missed magazines will be read by someone.

Never ask the agency where you bought the mag from to change your address - at best, they will say they can't do it; at worst they will cancel your order. Always change your address with the publisher or magazine's web site/email/call center.

Q How do I do magazine renewals?
You can try to sign up with the same American address and email. Some magazines will add it onto your existing account as it's tied to your email.
If this doesn't work, you'll just have to time it right to end your current sub one month and start receiving your new sub the following month. Again, at these prices, it's not a huge financial loss if you receive duplicate issues for 1 or 2 months.

Q Do you have a list of magazine subscription/change of address webpages?

http://www.changeofaddress.org/magazine ... s-changes/

Q How about magazine phone numbers?
See this page - http://www.deekins.com/magazine-contact ... ation.html

Q Amazon has great prices for magazine subs. Is Amazon a good site to buy a sub from?
Yes, they are. Subs bought from Amazon can usually be found on the magazine change of address website in a week or less. But a couple caveats:
Do not use their magazine subscription service to change your address. You must go to the magazine website to do that. And you must make sure to cancel their 'auto-renew' service before your sub expires or Amazon will renew your sub at the going rate instead of the sale rate you bought it.

Q I have too many subscriptions and I can't keep track of them - can you help?
Yes! TechGuyMTL created a spreadsheet to track your subs (post 2327):
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/merged-d ... st13832461

Q What do 'from SD' and 'from FW' mean?
'SD' and 'FW' are acronyms for SlickDeals and Fatwallet, 2 deal sites like RFD in the US. You can find deals for magazines posted on those 2 sites

Q. I’d like to post some deals on this thread, how do I do it?
Before you post any deals, be sure to read the last couple of pages of the thread to make sure they haven’t been posted already, if they haven’t been posted, jump right in and post, (everyone here loves a good deal!) Be sure you list the magazine, the price, the link to the site and any discount code that applies to the deal and (if applicable) an expiry date for the deal.

Q. The discount code doesn't go through, what do I do?
One thing you do NOT do is to bombard the original poster with messages] that the code doesn't work. Codes that are posted are valid at the time of the initial posting and usually for discount mags or tanga, they are valid for 24 hours. On the rare occasion that they code doesn't work, wait a bit and try again, if it still doesn't go through, try posting on the forum and asking if any one has had any luck with the code going through or not.

Q Will I receive the Canadian or American version of Reader's Digest when I switch my address to Canada?
The American version, you will not be able to switch to the Canadian version.

Q I don't see any deals for Scientific American or National Geographic or Consumer Reports.
How about xyz mag? How come?
Some magazines don't go on sale very often or at all. RFD members post what's found on the web, so please do not make requests, if there is a deal, it will be posted. At this moment, there is the link to the ongoing National Geographic magazine deal: https://w1.buysub.com/pubs/NG/NGM/10023 ... 8990&vid=2

Q I've seen a website that offers subs for $2 or a 3 month trial - are these good deals?
If you mean websites from mybonuscenter.com or bluedolphin-magazines.com, the answer is no for Canadians.
They sent a postcard to the shipping address before the sub starts to confirm the order and they also auto-renew at a much higher rate.
They also send a postcard to cancel your subscription which can get lost in the mail.
See this thread on slickdeals - http://slickdeals.net/f/3393474-2-00-Ma ... -40-Titles

Q They still cost too much - I want free subs! Where can I get those?
There's a RFD Freebies thread that lists free US magazine subs.

Q I want to order a mag from from discountmags.com but it's not on sale. Are there codes that work everyday?
Yes - One of the following codes should give you 20% off their everyday price (but they don't stack onto any other deal codes).
Try code WOOT, NICKELS, TECHBARGAINS, DEALNEWS or FRUGALCOUPON

Q I have questions not answered here - where can I get more info?
You can post the question here after searching the thread for an answer.
There is also a sticky thread in the Freebies section about free mag subs where questions/comments about similar issues are posted.
6381 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2003
1066 posts
869 upvotes
Toronto
http://www.discountmags.com/product/486 ... n=06/03/10

Islands Magazine $3.99/year (8 issues per year)

Use code 4936

US Addresses only! (You know what to do)

Can order up to 3 years at once.

Islands Magazine is a travel publication that is award-winning, and spectacularly visual for island travelers and dreamers. It focuses on the places we all dream about--islands around the world. Through stylish writing and vivid color photography, Islands takes its readers to every corner of the globe: to islands that are tropical and temperate, undeveloped and urban, famous or virtually undiscovered, revealing the essence and beauty of each place.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3884 posts
1077 upvotes
Hamilton
cool thx, might try and sign up for it for my girlfriend, she's all into weight watchers.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2003
7385 posts
3678 upvotes
GTA
Thanks OP!

There are also more codes here: http://www.***********.com/view/discountmags.com

Note worthy:
9535 - $4 for Maxim
J20 - 20% off entire purchase
3287 - $3.49 for ESPN
3791 - $5 for car and driver

(All tested working)

I am just not sure how to get them to ship to us in Canada..
Apr 22, 2010
1 posts
Ottawa
Re: US Addresses only! (You know what to do)

Stupid me but, no... I don't know what to do. What do you do to get it to Canada?
Nov 27, 2004
463 posts
60 upvotes
Gatineau, QC
bwhite2727 wrote: Re: US Addresses only! (You know what to do)

Stupid me but, no... I don't know what to do. What do you do to get it to Canada?
I have no idea either.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
1037 posts
480 upvotes
Done... 3 years worth for 11 bucks :)
Thanks OP!
Deal Guru
Oct 9, 2007
10000 posts
1378 upvotes
Kanata
I love this magazine - brings out the dreamer in me :twisted:
Reminds me of an awesome book I picked up the other day on eBay called "Hide your Assets and Disappear" - a seriously good read.

WARNING: If you're married, show it to your partner right away !!!
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2003
1066 posts
869 upvotes
Toronto
cy wrote:
I am just not sure how to get them to ship to us in Canada..
Pick a real American address (like a hotel, library or shelter) and put the address on the form. Check out and usually within a couple of weeks, go to the magazine's website and enter your American address. When it accepts it, usually you can click on a "change my address" and change to your true Canadian address.

If you miss an issue, most magazines have a form to fill out regarding the missing issue and they'll extend your subscription.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2007
1006 posts
40 upvotes
Thanks OP.
Picked up Saveur magazine 9 issues for $5 (code 6120) and Taste of home 6 issues for $4 (code 2209)
Glamour is $4 for 12 issues (code 3863)
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2007
1006 posts
40 upvotes
If I go into my account and "change address" it only gives me the option of US (not Canada) for the country.
Will this change after a couple of weeks? If it stays the same I will not be able to change it to Canada.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2003
1066 posts
869 upvotes
Toronto
Change your address on the magazine's website. So if you ordered weighwatchers, wait until your name and American address show up on the weightwatcher's webpage, then log in and change to your Canadian address. You should be able to log in anywhere from a couple of days to a month.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2003
7385 posts
3678 upvotes
GTA
mstrouble wrote: Change your address on the magazine's website. So if you ordered weighwatchers, wait until your name and American address show up on the weightwatcher's webpage, then log in and change to your Canadian address. You should be able to log in anywhere from a couple of days to a month.
Great advice! Thanks!
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2006
1026 posts
35 upvotes
Given that the site only accept US billing address, you may need to pay by Paypal
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2007
1006 posts
40 upvotes
spong wrote: Given that the site only accept US billing address, you may need to pay by Paypal
I just used the US address, although it's not my credit card billing address. No problem with it.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2007
1006 posts
40 upvotes
mstrouble wrote: Change your address on the magazine's website. So if you ordered weighwatchers, wait until your name and American address show up on the weightwatcher's webpage, then log in and change to your Canadian address. You should be able to log in anywhere from a couple of days to a month.
Thanks.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2003
1066 posts
869 upvotes
Toronto
Wired Magazine $4/year

http://www.discountmags.com/product/545 ... 06/05/2010

Enter code 5604

This is a great deal because the site lets you order up to 3 years at a time, also Wired is an awesome magazine.

US Address only! (You know what to do)

Get "Wired" into the latest technology trends. Find out how the latest trends in technology affect the world of business, entertainment, culture, and politics. Each issue covers the latest gadgets, games, software, and industry news. Make technology a part of your life with this exciting magazine subscription. Get wired in today!
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2003
1066 posts
869 upvotes
Toronto
Popular Science Magazine $6/Year

http://www.discountmags.com/product/832 ... n=06/05/10

Use code 1475

US Addresses only! Can order up to 4 years at a time.

The 'What's New'" magazine of science and technology. Covering the latest developments in cars, electronics, communications, tools, energy, aviation, science, space exploration and much more.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2002
2079 posts
433 upvotes
Montreal
didn't realize I could order more than 1 year for $4! thanks! just doubled my subscription.. these stupid mags are killing me.. I think I order 6-7 magazines this week!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)