[Merged] Do not pay Rogers/Fido's 30 days of services when porting a number

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 25th, 2015 1:38 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 23, 2009
862 posts
50 upvotes
So if I am on a month to month (contract expired), I still have to give 30 days notice to have my number ported to another carrier?! Are you serious?!

So I pay for 30 days of "service" even though I am not using it?
Nov 7, 2010
980 posts
221 upvotes
Aurora
bdragon wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2011 5:07 pm
I had a lot of questions before the scenarios you portrayed and you answered all of them.
Thanks.
Please keep us apprised to what happens next.
I will.

I hope one of the effects of the UBB reversal saga we are about to experience is that it raises an opportunity somewhere to allow us to place more pressure on the CRTC or Feds or whomever about the ludicrous business practices of the Telcos. For example in this case, it seemed blatantly impossible that a provider of any service could come up with such a creative way to take your money... why was it not quashed long ago by them being told "you cannot charge for something you do not provide". You are in month 36 of a 36 month Ford lease, and you tell Ford you are switching to Chevy, they say: "Bring the Ford back now and pay me for the month anyway...." I cannot imagine it.

Consumers put up with such crap with these guys, maybe we need that to be the next election issue instead of UBB.

Edit: CCTS process worked, got a check back. ALSO got paid back by Visa as I disputed the charge. Do it! It feels good!
Sep 19, 2009
793 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
EvilMonkey25 wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2011 5:26 pm
So if I am on a month to month (contract expired), I still have to give 30 days notice to have my number ported to another carrier?! Are you serious?!

im wondering the same thing... im about to port a number over to teksavvy..... landline
Nov 7, 2010
980 posts
221 upvotes
Aurora
EvilMonkey25 wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2011 5:26 pm

Almost.. you CANNOT give notice if you want to move your number.... they force you to NOT give notice by threatening loss of your number the instant you give notice... it is for real.

Bell and Rogers yes, 30 days for no service possibility at all.

The rest? Dunno, who are you with?

Edit: CCTS process worked, got a check back. ALSO got paid back by Visa as I disputed the charge. Do it! It feels good!
Jul 23, 2009
862 posts
50 upvotes
boblepp wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2011 5:29 pm
Almost.. you CANNOT give notice if you want to move your number.... they force you to NOT give notice by threatening loss of your number the instant you give notice... it is for real.

Bell and Rogers yes, 30 days for no service possibility at all.

The rest? Dunno, who are you with?

Going from Bell to anyone who has good customer service. Bell has been nothing but episodes of crap.
Nov 7, 2010
980 posts
221 upvotes
Aurora
EvilMonkey25 wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2011 5:30 pm
Going from Bell to anyone who has good customer service. Bell has been nothing but episodes of crap.

Right, for example, here's a small snippet from their home phone contract you never see:
Customers subscribing solely to Bell’s residential local telephone service who purchase any additional product(s)
or service(s) from Bell and/or its affiliated companies will: (i) no longer be eligible for the then applicable CRTC
approved maximum price for residential stand-alone primary exchange local telephone service; (ii) be subject
to any future price increases for such residential local telephone service; and (iii) be required to pay the then
applicable downgrade fees (currently $35, subject to change), and any applicable administrative charges
and/or early termination fees, if they cancel all of the additional product(s) or service(s) in order to be eligible
for the then applicable CRTC approved maximum price for residential stand-alone primary exchange local
telephone service (the “Downgrade Option”)
Wonder why they want upsell you all the time?? It puts you out of 'action' by the CRTC to limit your maximum phone charge. Clever. And it could be caused by buying something from another Bell company. Not even related to your house phone. Read it again, amazing. And to get back into CRTC protected maximum charges when you realize your mistake YOU pay THEM $35.

These guys have some great lawyers writing this stuff. Weasels.

[OP]
Feb 15, 2005
404 posts
71 upvotes
Calgary
A little off topic,
But I've realized that the CRTC is a useless regulatory company.
Apparently 2 of its former board members are from Bell / Rogers, and 2 former CRTC members are now on Bell/Roger's board [citation needed].

They are responsible for the UBB debacle as of late, but they are also proposing to change the Standard for Broadcasting and allow False or Misleading News.
Nov 19, 2008
436 posts
37 upvotes
Markham
basiclogic wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2011 1:49 pm
After I got my final bill with cancellation charges additional charges I called them and had them issue a credit from the date the phone number got ported out. The way I see it is if they are not providing you with the service they can't bill you for it. Just tell them that ever since you ported out the phone number stopped working so you couldn't make / receive calls and therefore should not be billed for it.

So does that mean I can port my number 2 months into a 3 year contract and not pay ECF?
Cause according to you, if I can't make / receive calls I shouldn't have to pay :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
1813 posts
472 upvotes
This happened to me in Nov/Dec. I moved from Rogers to Telus with 1 month left on two three year contracts. I gave 30 days notice for both accounts. I then ported out both numbers a few days later to Telus.
There is a 100 dollar cancellation charge if the account is cancelled without 30 days notice near the end of the contract. Billing/Retentions then tried to charge me the 100 fee plus the remaiing time on the account for each phone.

They lost. The account is not with the phone or the number, it is with the contract. You can port out at any time but you are still responsible for the contract. They will try to convince you the port cancelled the contract thus you owe the money. I ended up paying 35 dollars + GST. It was Rogers fault the contract was cancelled not mine. I gave notice and they tried to change the rules to make a few bucks.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
4271 posts
204 upvotes
Farm
it's a stupid charge... why can they activate your line immediately but need 30 days to cancel it?

they're so quick to sign you to a contract/get you activated but want to earn that extra $20-$100+ per month when you want to leave.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
10905 posts
1323 upvotes
This thread has a lot of wrong info in it.

Yes, you need to give 30 days *notice of porting*, but giving notice of porting DOES NOT automatically cut off you service.

You call the customer service rep and indicate that you want a note put on your file that you will be porting out sometime after 30 days. The notice of porting is valid on your file for 60 days.

DO NOT TELL THEM YOU ARE CANCELING THE SERVICE, you are only providing them with notice of porting. If you incorrectly tell them you are canceling, they will do that on the spot, which is not what you want to do because you can't port out a canceled number.

The company you are porting to will make the arrangements to cancel your service.

For landlines, if you are on a regulated service you do not need to give 30 days notice for porting. If you are on deregulated service, then you do need to give 30 days notice. You can tell if you are on regulated service if Bell is billing you for "touch tone".

Of course, this assumes you are not under contract as well
Nov 7, 2010
980 posts
221 upvotes
Aurora
l69norm wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2011 10:33 pm
This thread has a lot of wrong info in it....snip
Is any of the wrong info from me?

I did not make any recordings but I quoted what they told me and quoted above the text of the Bell 'contract'. They very clearly state after the port, whenever that gets done, today or 30 days from today, AFTER the port you MUST pay them for 30 days.

The also tell you if you tell them you are giving 30 days notice, your number is immediately lost to you for porting.

And that is exactly what they did to me.

I know this is a bull---t attitude and a mischievous bit of contract language, but that is what they do. They found a way to make money porting out.

I have the bills, and the email from Head Office telling me the contract is clear and I should pay.

I hope it is someone else's info you find to be wrong...

Here is the email from Bell, sent ONLY after I called to tell CCTS nothing had happened in the 30 day period guaranteed to see action, they call it a 'resolution' in the email even though there was none, that is CCTS-speak for "I talked to the customer and here is what happened".... his phone number is included, give him a call to confirm the policy and contract language.

Let me know if there is anything else I can clarify.
Details of complaint:

Mr. xxx xxxx is disputing Bell Mobility?s policy of billing for 30-days from the transfer-out date due to transferring the cellular numbers to another service provider.

Details of resolution:

Bell Mobility continues to bill for the monthly recurring charges 30-days from the transfer-out date.

Transfer-out date was initiated on October 24th 2010 and the account was cancelled November 23rd 2010.

There is no error on the account.

Complaint has been resolved to the satisfaction of the complainant and the TSP: NO
Complaint remains unresolved: YES

Thank you for your time,

Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
13075 posts
1033 upvotes
Montreal
snafu101 wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2011 3:17 pm
why would it be illegal?

In qc, it is illegal. The contract is up as soon as you state you wish to cancel it.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
10905 posts
1323 upvotes
I have ported cellular numbers out from Bell Mobility before, as recently as 6 months ago. If you give 30 days "notice of porting", it's only a note added onto your file that is valid for 60 days. The phone service does not end just because you gave notice. If you do not port out after 60 days, the notice is canceled and you have to start the 30 day clock over again. There's a couple of online guides and other RFD posts on porting Bell cell numbers that say exactly the same thing

Your Bell account actually gets canceled by the new company on the day they do the port. You do not cancel the Bell account yourself.

You have to be very clear with the Bell CSR that you are only giving your "30 days notice of porting as required", not canceling your account. Confirm with them while on the same call that they have put a note put on your file and they did cancel your account. If they get confused and cancel your account, the porting will not work. The new company cannot port a canceled Bell number.

The only reason for any extra "charges" is because the port did not occur in the right part of the billing cycle, as you are always billed 30 days in advance.

Ideally, you want to time the port to occur right on the last day of the current billing cycle but you can't control that easily. The porting request to Bell is initiated by the new company. They only make the request to Bell after they are satisfied that you actually own the number you are porting. It could take up to 1-2 weeks before the new company actually makes the porting request to Bell. If everything is in order, Bell then schedules the port which can take up to another 2 weeks. The new company cancels your Bell account on the day of porting. It's YMMV as the entire elapsed time can be anywhere from 1 week to as long as 3-4 weeks.

The worst that can happen is the port occurs 1 day after the billing cycle starts, as Bell can then bill you for the entire month in advance (i.e. you pay the entire month to Bell, but get only 1 day of service). Bell still has to refund the portion that falls within the 30 days notice you gave, so you only actually pay for the service you did receive (i.e. valid notice, billed an additional 30 days, but got only 1 day additional service, Bell refunds 29 days). I believe Bell has to provide the refund within 2 billing cycles - 60 days.

All this also assumes you are not under contract, which would incur additional cancellation fees.

If you do not give Bell the full 30 days notice, Bell also charge you for the number of days less the 30. The worst case is that you gave 0 notice and the port occurs 1 day into the billing cycle. Bell keeps the entire 30 days, even though you got only 1 day service. If you gave only 15 days notice, but the port occurs on the first day of the billing cycle, Bell only refunds 15 days, etc etc.

From reading the "letter" you got, it looks like you did not give 30 days notice so Bell was entitled to charge you for the full 30 days from the date you ported out. If you did provide 30 days notice, you should call the CCTS back and indicate that notice of porting was given by you to on/before Sept 23
× < >