Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Dell] Fongo.com - Talk Freely To The World - FREE MOBILE Phone Service!

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2016 8:08 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10199 posts
1008 upvotes
Brampton

[Dell] Fongo.com - Talk Freely To The World - FREE MOBILE Phone Service!

Fongo.com is eliminating the cost of calling by enabling the first truly FREE mobile phone service.

Dell Canada and Fongo have come together to offer Dell Voice. Dell Voice gives you a new phone number to make
& receive free calls across most of Canada using your Android, iPhone, iPod Touch or Windows PC. BlackBerry coming soon.

Fongo saves customers money by eliminating or greatly reducing, their calling costs by placing calls over data networks (WiFi/3G/4G)
instead of using expensive voice minutes. Calls are free to most of Canada from anywhere in the world, free between Fongo customers
and Fongo's international calling rates are incredibly low.

We provide customers with a free real phone number, free local calling, and free long distance calling using a smartphone or desktop.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sounds very interesting so I thought I would post it since they just launched their site :)
BTW www.freephoneline.ca is powered by Fongo.

The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
Jan 13, 2007
4278 posts
297 upvotes
Interesting. Thanks for sharing. IMO involving Dell Canada gives this service a lot of credibility.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
6590 posts
723 upvotes
BC
So... like any other FPL service/app but branded differently?
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
2411 posts
597 upvotes
Halifax
So far the PC softphone looks like a rebrand, with a new facia, but not much else different. However, the Android and iphone apps looks promising, I do not know if it is a real soft phone though.
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
2966 posts
2898 upvotes
Montreal
I've just tested with iPhone. It can receive and call on 3G too.

I think this is great because we can have free Canadian phone number for iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) and Android. Before we have to buy VOIP account (from freephoneline, voip.ms, etc) in order to have Canadian phone number to use with iOS, Android...
Jun 5, 2007
973 posts
204 upvotes
York
What’s Fongo’s track record?
Fongo has been providing free calling across Canada since 2009 under the name freephoneline.ca. We’ve powered millions of free phone calls and saved Canadians millions of dollars. In 2010, we launched our first partner brand – BudPhone – with Labatt Breweries. The team behind Fongo has a long history of offering innovative calling services dating back to 1997.
How are Fongo and Fibernetics related?
Fongo was formally spun-out of Fibernetics in 2010. Fongo and Fibernetics are now independent companies. That said, we really like each other. If you’re in the market for amazing (and inexpensive!) DSL or home phone services, check them out.
Interesting...
Deal Addict
May 19, 2004
1202 posts
139 upvotes
Burnaby
BTW www.freephoneline.ca is powered by Fongo.
Actually freephoneline is not powered by fongo, they are Congo. Got an email a few weeks ago telling customers about their name change.

thx op Will try it out. Hopefully quality will be better than the other VoIP apps I've been using on my iPhone!
Feb 24, 2010
942 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
quanvon wrote:
Feb 7th, 2012 12:30 am
Actually freephoneline is not powered by fongo, they are Congo. Got an email a few weeks ago telling customers about their name change.

thx op Will try it out. Hopefully quality will be better than the other VoIP apps I've been using on my iPhone!

Where did you get "Congo" from? Go to their website (freephoneline.ca) and they advertise themselves to be powered by Fongo. In January, they sent out an email notifying users about this.

Btw, why on earth is Dell involved in this business? Is Dell now entering VOIP market or are they just looking to make money off of international calling services.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2004
1225 posts
31 upvotes
Anyone else having problems on the android app? Whenever a call is incoming or I make a call, the screen just blanks out and dims the foreground very low and I can't interact with the app until the call ends.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2008
1076 posts
82 upvotes
Can we switch current fpl number to dell voice?
Jul 22, 2003
950 posts
85 upvotes
Macross_Freek wrote:
Feb 7th, 2012 12:50 am
Anyone else having problems on the android app? Whenever a call is incoming or I make a call, the screen just blanks out and dims the foreground very low and I can't interact with the app until the call ends.

same thing here.
I hope they fix it soon.
It also seems to really be eating up battery and I can't figure out how to sign out. :(
× < >