Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Dell] Fongo.com - Talk Freely To The World - FREE MOBILE Phone Service!

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 5th, 2017 9:26 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2015
1560 posts
1045 upvotes
greg123 wrote:
Jan 5th, 2017 8:46 am
I have fongo on iPhone with Fido data only sim. Outgoing calls are fine, however I can't hear anything on incoming calls, just dead silence... still have no clue how to fix it...

Is there a way to integrate fongo on your iPhone dialer or can you only dial with the fongo app?
In Fongo settings, check off the section that says "integrated calling" under "advanced settings".

For not hearing anyone on incoming calls, try "alternate connection"
Feb 24, 2015
9 posts
7 upvotes
Trochu
While it has been discussed in the past, I think now might be a good time for Fongo to launch their own independent cellular service. Fido is selling there 3 gigs data for $15. Even at full retail of $5 per gig, fongo should buy bulk data from fido, rebrand fido sims with a sim-only service like public mobile. Based on JUST calling and texting, they could offer almost unlimited calling and texting for $15 a month with their cost being $5 and profit. Tons of people would love that package, just as it is now, they don't know (or don't want the hassle) of setting it up all themselves.

Fongo could also go the textnow US venture..... Buy low cost phones (like moto g etc) and preload fongo (with re-branded fido sims) and do it that way too.

Who knows, they could be working on this right now.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10115 posts
3070 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
CodyBruceWilliams wrote:
Jan 17th, 2017 2:39 pm
Even at full retail of $5 per gig, fongo should buy bulk data from fido, rebrand fido sims with a sim-only service like public mobile...
That assumes that Fido (actually Robbers) would want to sell bandwidth to Fongo in the first place. Canadian carriers are very protective of their turf and do what they can to block upstarts. So far the CRTC has done nothing to change their attitude. That's why there are about 100 MVNOs in the US but only a handful in Canada.
Fongo could also go the textnow US venture..... Buy low cost phones (like moto g etc) and preload fongo (with re-branded fido sims) and do it that way too.
I've always thought that TextNow's US business case is fragile. There's nothing proprietary about what TextNow offers that can't be copied by those other 100 MVNOs if they think the market is large enough to enter it.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
17479 posts
1224 upvotes
sam_b_d wrote:
Jan 19th, 2017 11:38 pm
What about Android phones?
I've used Fongo in both Android and iOS without issue.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Aug 29, 2007
221 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
What kind of Android phones are good,I mean minimum ram and CPU requirement to get better connection.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10115 posts
3070 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
FWIW Fongo can receive faxes (remember that technology?) and display them on your smartphone or tablet. When someone wants to send you a fax just let their call go to voicemail. Then go to Fongo's Voicemail screen to view, email, print, etc. the fax.

Admittedly there's not much demand for faxing anymore, however
• Some fields like medicine still rely on fax to send prescriptions, patient records, etc.
• This is also a simple way to scan-to-email if you don't have a scanner handy. Send a fax to your Fongo number from any fax machine, then forward it wherever it needs to go.
• Got a new multi-function printer with fax? Check the fax sending function by sending a test page to Fongo.
• etc.

Of course some spammers still pollute the planet with unsolicited faxes. At least with Fongo fewer trees have to die for nothing.
veni, vidi, Visa
Jan 12, 2017
263 posts
93 upvotes
Anyone have a reasonable solution to the problem of not being able to get picture messages with Fongo? I also find that if a group mms message goes out, I don't get it.

Is there a texting app to work with my Fongo number or a better app altogether other than VoIP.ms that lets you port your number?
Sep 14, 2015
888 posts
394 upvotes
Mont-Royal, QC
bucklemyshoe wrote:
Jan 19th, 2017 12:36 pm
How is this for the iOS? Is it compatible?
yes, I have fongo in my iPhone, it works great
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2002
1122 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto
I have a Freephoneline sip account that I've used for many years using a home SIP phone. No issues. I noticed recently that I cannot login on my Fongo app. Can't remember which I used in the past, but my FPL credentials don't work on the app (works fine on the FPL portal). Are they interchangeable?
Celebrating 14+ years on RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
7228 posts
1177 upvotes
Any way to forward a fongo number to another? I tried it but it doesn't seem to work. I basically have 2 fongo accounts and I want 1 number to forward to my main fongo number.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
7689 posts
2145 upvotes
wysiwyg wrote:
Feb 19th, 2017 7:17 pm
Can't remember which I used in the past, but my FPL credentials don't work on the app (works fine on the FPL portal). Are they interchangeable?
No. They're separate services.
Please do not PM me for assistance unless it's to reply to a PM I sent. I try to help when I can on the forums. Thank you. OBi200/202 Freephoneline setup guide can be found here (v. 1.39x). Related OBi200 discussion can be found here. For OBi202, click here.