Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Dell] Fongo.com - Talk Freely To The World - FREE MOBILE Phone Service!

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 18th, 2018 12:29 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8242 posts
2473 upvotes
Nguygie wrote:
Sep 5th, 2016 10:50 am
So I've tried your suggestions to no avail... I'm officially giving up on trying to make Fongo work with OOma. I downloaded the TextNow app to try and call home and voilà - it can call Ooma fine. So I'll just use TextNow to call home and Fongo for all my other calls. A bit annoying but can't complain too much with free calls. Thanks again for all your time and help.
@Nguygie

This could be an issue with Ooma itself with respect to receiving calls from certain carriers. For example, click http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5614. If the problem is a carrier issue with Ooma--an issue that's specific to receiving calls from numbers (possibly specific to your area code) owned by Fibernetics (Fongo's parent company)--then you are going to have to try to find a decent tech support rep at Ooma (by decent, I mean one who isn't completely stupid) and explain the problem.

You can verify the carrier by entering in your phone number here: https://www.twilio.com/lookup. You can verify which carrier owns Fongo's number by entering it here: https://www.twilio.com/lookup. Should say Fibernetics for Fongo numbers. You can also check your Ooma number.

At first glance, I thought it might be a SIP ALG issue or NAT router issue, but it does seem more likely to be a carrier/trunk issue, especially since I now know you're not the only one having this problem. And I suspect that issue is on Ooma's end.
Please do not PM me for technical assistance unless I PM you first. Please post on the forums instead. I help out when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.51x) can be found here.
Jul 13, 2007
13 posts
1 upvote
Calgary
charlesd79 wrote:
Jun 7th, 2017 2:04 am
This is not the issue. I'm a paying subscriber and I still cannot use short codes for WhatsApp confirmation. It works for PayPal though.
shinstar wrote:
Jun 30th, 2017 11:47 am
Tried to use Fongo to verify whatsapp this whole week, did not work at all. I believe it used to work back in December when i verified using Fongo after I repaired my phone. Been receiving "We couldn't send SMS to this number, please double check your phone number and tried again in 1 hour". Tried call me function and never received any calls. Tried my wife's Fongo number and came back with same error message. Not sure if Fongo still works with whatsapp verification anymore.
Doesn't work for me either. I purchased a one month SMS credit with Fongo to try to verify my WhatsApp account after resetting my phone. I'm looking into other providers e.g. Talkatone to try to avoid changing my WhatsApp account phone number.
Banned
Feb 12, 2009
1129 posts
290 upvotes
Vaughan
puddlesray wrote:
Jul 9th, 2017 12:14 am
Doesn't work for me either. I purchased a one month SMS credit with Fongo to try to verify my WhatsApp account after resetting my phone. I'm looking into other providers e.g. Talkatone to try to avoid changing my WhatsApp account phone number.
Fongo says to contact what's app support direct lily to get a fongo number verified. Maybe whatsapp has another method
Jul 21, 2006
957 posts
160 upvotes
Can't buy addons for some reason on Android anyone know how to fix
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2003
2010 posts
98 upvotes
arnycus wrote:
May 26th, 2017 12:20 pm
I'm using quite advanced setup on my phones to optimize battery usage across all apps and system, while ensuring prompt push notifications. But you generally don't need to go that far. For your Redmi, assuming you're on Android 6 and latest Stable Global MiUI version, in latest Fongo Settings I'd enable among other:
3G Data Reminder, Rings before Voicemail 5, Start on Phone Startup, Start on Incoming Calls, Start Call on Dialpad, Auto Speaker Source, both Proximity Sensor settings, Show Connected, Alternate Fongo Connection, Enable Echo Canceller, Restart Audio on Call - some of these are critical to timely response to calls.

In Security App - Battery - App Battery Saver, set No Restrictions for Fongo. In addition, you can launch the app, drug it down on Started Apps screen, and Lock, so it's launched by the system at each boot, thought it may not be needed. While on WiFi or stable 4G, try calling your Fongo number from Freephoneline after your phone goes to deep sleep (usually 30 min after screen goes off) to check if the push comes through, and how fast. Of course you can play with other MiUI Settings, Developer Options etc, just to better understand your phone, but that may not be your 1st priority at the moment. :) Other VoIP apps would need to go through similar setup, but choice of their Settings varies.

Dropping calls may occur on dynamically switching networks or bad latency & jitter. I'm assuming you're on Fido Data plan, but that shouldn't usually matter much. Make sure you're getting stable 4G LTE signal. For that you may need to switch from Stable to Developer MiUI latest Global ROM (only if Stable switches you back to 3G), and in SIM Card Settings choose LTE as Preferred Network Type, add Fido LTE Access Point.
My dad have the Honor 6x running EMUI and i think there i something in the software that is causing him to not receive calls or it very lag eg. the phone would ring 5mins after the call.

I don't seem to have this problem using the same fido sim on my s7 edge.
Jun 1, 2016
512 posts
323 upvotes
Unfortunately I had to give up on Fongo personally. Great service and does what it's supposed to but the lack of ability to receive short codes finally got to me.

No security codes from my bank, Google, Discord, etc.

Until they fix that, I'm out. For future warning, porting out of Fongo is headache in itself - be careful and when porting out, ask the carrier you are porting INTO for the "request ID" (aka the LNP port ID).

It will literally save you HOURS and possibly a CCTS report.
Having trouble setting up the Koodo $49 6gb plan yourself? DON'T PAY THE KIJIJI GUYS, I'll help you for FREE
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
2452 posts
399 upvotes
DeltaSingh wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 6:34 am
Unfortunately I had to give up on Fongo personally. Great service and does what it's supposed to but the lack of ability to receive short codes finally got to me.

No security codes from my bank, Google, Discord, etc.

Until they fix that, I'm out. For future warning, porting out of Fongo is headache in itself - be careful and when porting out, ask the carrier you are porting INTO for the "request ID" (aka the LNP port ID).

It will literally save you HOURS and possibly a CCTS report.
Did you try this in conjunction with the Fido $15/month data plan? If I understand correctly, the SIM they give you will still allow you to receive the security codes by using the number attached to the SIM. I realize not everyone would want to pay the $15/month for the data plan but seem like the cheapest way of going 100% Fongo with a reliable backup for incoming codes.
Jun 1, 2016
512 posts
323 upvotes
txenglan wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 9:47 pm
Did you try this in conjunction with the Fido $15/month data plan? If I understand correctly, the SIM they give you will still allow you to receive the security codes by using the number attached to the SIM. I realize not everyone would want to pay the $15/month for the data plan but seem like the cheapest way of going 100% Fongo with a reliable backup for incoming codes.
That basically defeats the purpose, I can not validate my real number on numerous services and get stuck with a random one instead, especially for things like Hangouts where it sets my Caller ID based on my verified number.
Having trouble setting up the Koodo $49 6gb plan yourself? DON'T PAY THE KIJIJI GUYS, I'll help you for FREE
Oct 19, 2011
412 posts
110 upvotes
DeltaSingh wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 11:51 pm
That basically defeats the purpose, I can not validate my real number on numerous services and get stuck with a random one instead, especially for things like Hangouts where it sets my Caller ID based on my verified number.
How I do it:

Don't bother verifying with Hangouts or whatever. That tablet number is just for security codes that don't work with Fongo. Use Fongo for calling (enable wifi lock which drains battery but makes Fongo 100% reliable) and texts, and if anything happens during a Fongo call - CALL BACK with Google Hangouts. It will show up as anonymous but it doesn't matter - they'd know it's you. Obviously if we're talking business use, then probably get a phone line instead...don't wanna confuse your customers.
Nov 14, 2017
1 posts
Fongo doesn’t support short codes and therefore won’t work with whatsapp. I have a texting plan with Fongo but it won’t accept the sms from whatsapp. I confirmed with whatsapp and Fongo yesterday.
I have a data only plan with a carrier that gives me a SIM card number. Used that and it worked fine.

No other workaround unfortunately.
Sep 22, 2017
3 posts
Toronto, ON
User293717 wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 1:22 pm
Fongo doesn’t support short codes and therefore won’t work with whatsapp. I have a texting plan with Fongo but it won’t accept the sms from whatsapp. I confirmed with whatsapp and Fongo yesterday.
I have a data only plan with a carrier that gives me a SIM card number. Used that and it worked fine.

No other workaround unfortunately.

What about an option to activate via voice call instead of text?
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2004
4329 posts
198 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone ever had his/her account removed or cancelled due to inactive for certain period of time?

TIA
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)

Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
3952 posts
376 upvotes
Montreal
I haven't used my Fongo account in years. I just tried to login to their web site and it didn't recognize my email address/password.
Phils
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
11139 posts
3768 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
h2o- wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 5:54 pm
Anyone ever had his/her account removed or cancelled due to inactive for certain period of time?
Their FAQ says 90 days of inactivity, unless you have some paid attachment to them, e.g. a ported in number, a text subscription, etc.
veni, vidi, Visa
Oct 6, 2017
30 posts
9 upvotes
Best phone app for Canadians. I got clear voice when I use it in Singapore and Hong Kong.