Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Dell

Fongo.com - Talk Freely To The World - FREE MOBILE Phone Service!

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2022 5:51 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 19, 2018
175 posts
140 upvotes
I spoke too soon.. I'm missing a lot of incoming calls on wifi. I did all the trouble shooting accoding to the faq including disabling SIP on my router and I'm still having issues.

Any suggestions? I'm on an iphone. I'm guessing it's router related
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2004
1369 posts
912 upvotes
mississauga, Ontario
bridonca wrote: Fongo Mobile is just data from Rogers. You still use the Fongo app.

As for reliability, that depends on how good your cell phone signal is. You need a decent phone also, something as good as or better than an LG G4 would do the trick. I would consider VOIP apps over and LTE data connection reliable enough, but still not as good as cellular.

Bluntly, if you do need reliable incoming calls, get a plan from Public Mobile. For $13, you can get unlimited incoming calls, unlimited texting and MMS, 250 megs of data, and 100 minutes outgoing. You can also get 500 minutes for $5, which do not expire until they are spent. You can use VOIP for outgoing calls you do not care about the quality.
I am using PM + handout . much better than fongo
Never again! HTC , Wind Mobile , Air China
Aug 29, 2007
489 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
Chi-tel wrote: I am using PM + handout . much better than fongo
Public mobile data is 3g and very slow, I had it before, i think Fido's lte data has better price and high speed.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2004
2837 posts
1387 upvotes
Markham, ON
ChuckB104765 wrote: I hear Fongo is spotty in B.C.
FONGO is spotty everywhere, not just BC.
Can't tell if it's their app, or their core network but it's not very reliable.
I switched my main line from TELUS to Fongo (used on an iPhone 8+ and Samsung s9+) and the experience wasn't very reliable.
I ported back to TELUS, wasted $25+ on the porting fee with FONGO.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2004
2837 posts
1387 upvotes
Markham, ON
sam_b_d wrote: Public mobile data is 3g and very slow, I had it before, i think Fido's lte data has better price and high speed.
PM's data speeds and latency are just fine for VOIP. FONGO is the issue.
As he mentioned, Hangouts is working perfectly fine on the same PM data connection.
Aug 29, 2007
489 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
xyztech wrote: PM's data speeds and latency are just fine for VOIP. FONGO is the issue.
As he mentioned, Hangouts is working perfectly fine on the same PM data connection.
Hangout is only for outgoing and unfortunately we can't get Google voice here in Canada in order to use as a incoming calls too.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29708 posts
29127 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
sam_b_d wrote: Hangout is only for outgoing and unfortunately we can't get Google voice here in Canada in order to use as a incoming calls too.
You can't get GV using a Canadian phone number to activate your line. You can't get a non-US GV number. But if you know someone in the US with a US phone number and you set up a US Google Gmail account, you can get a GV number(*).

It will be a US phone number. People will be able to reach you on it even if you're located in Canada (or anywhere else where there's an Internet connection.) The only rub is that for many people in Canada, calling a US number incurs long distance charges. But these days that's only a cent or two a minute. Most people won't even realize they're making a US call or notice that it cost them a few cents. Even most 2FA protocols will send texts to a US number, e.g. TD/CT.

(*) Pro tip: Actually you can do this all from Canada if you're near the border. Get a RoamMobility SIM and add minimum credit. Drive up near the border where you have line of sight to a US cell tower. Activate the RM SIM and use its US number to activate the GV number. Cost will be under $20 depending on what you paid for the RM SIM. (I've done it along the St Clair river south of Sarnia.)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5580 posts
7779 upvotes
Vancouver
sam_b_d wrote: Hangout is only for outgoing and unfortunately we can't get Google voice here in Canada in order to use as a incoming calls too.
PM data speeds are just fine for VOIP.

Fido data is dirty often [slow Pings/high jitter].

If you are serious about using VOIP [only], do yourself a favour and buy Groundwire.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2004
1369 posts
912 upvotes
mississauga, Ontario
That is why I use PM , $15 plan with unlimited incoming call, and set the out call number display the PM number in Hangout .

Fido/Rogers LTE is gabage in Toronto down town near Union Station and in Path, slower than dialup.
Never again! HTC , Wind Mobile , Air China
Banned
Aug 6, 2019
20 posts
8 upvotes
Can I use my fongo phone number to receive sms verification codes from Paytm, ebay, WhatsApp, Major banks, etc ???
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29708 posts
29127 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Has anyone been able to receive faxes on Fongo? It used to work. I used to get spam faxes. Come to think of it I haven't gotten any lately.

I just tried to send a fax to my Fongo number, letting the call ring until it went to voicemail. That didn't work.

Anyone else get incoming fax on their Fongo line recently?
veni, vidi, Visa

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)