Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Dell

Fongo.com - Talk Freely To The World - FREE MOBILE Phone Service!

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2022 5:51 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 3, 2002
358 posts
129 upvotes
Relayers wrote: anyone else has more problem since version 1.2.4 for Android ?
I found that it would the app would stop running in the background randomly. it doesn't stay in the background consistently. So, it still not a 100% reliable solution for calls coming through.
Deal Guru
May 13, 2004
11471 posts
559 upvotes
Toronto
ceredon wrote: Where you are won't affect you long distance charges. being VOIP, there is no concept of local calling areas. The only thing that determines long distance is the rate between where you number is registered and where you are calling to. In those cases, I guess it would only charge you if you had funds, or it wouldn't complete the call.

IN OTHER WORDS, let's say you have a 416 number, but are in Montreal--and you are calling a number in Montreal. Take 5 minutes, register a Dell Voice number for Montreal using another email address, et voila, free calling.

Deal Guru
May 13, 2004
11471 posts
559 upvotes
Toronto
Exactly, so people shouldn't be worried by "What is this going to cost me?" if they have $0.00 in their Dell Voice account.

djino wrote: With Dell Voice, if you are calling to an city not covered by the free calling or simply calling internationally, you need to have funds on the account to place the call. When signing up everyone has a $0 balance. So this only allows calls to the free locations. You can top up your account $5, $10, etc, this will then allow you to call places that are NOT free.

Think of it as a prepaid account. If you don't have the money on the account, you can't call the places that are NOT free. If you top up your account, you have funds to place chargeable calls.

djino
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2008
15587 posts
7026 upvotes
Gatineau
HowEver wrote: IN OTHER WORDS, let's say you have a 416 number, but are in Montreal--and you are calling a number in Montreal. Take 5 minutes, register a Dell Voice number for Montreal using another email address, et voila, free calling.

You don't even need to register another account. Your original 416 account can be used to call Montreal. Though registering a local Montreal number would mean that people in MOntreal could call you for free instead of long distance to 416.

djino
Deal Guru
May 13, 2004
11471 posts
559 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the clarification.
djino wrote: You don't even need to register another account. Your original 416 account can be used to call Montreal. Though registering a local Montreal number would mean that people in MOntreal could call you for free instead of long distance to 416.

djino
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2006
7478 posts
1467 upvotes
Ottawa
So no way to get it work with SO UMB just like voip.ms and freephoneline?
Jan 7, 2007
614 posts
20 upvotes
How is this different from using google mail for Canada & USA free calling ?
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
4865 posts
188 upvotes
GTA
rivet wrote: So no way to get it work with SO UMB just like voip.ms and freephoneline?
Unless you're working some magic, I do not believe that at this instant you can get voip.ms working with SpeakOut Unlimited Mobile Browsing. (And if you can, I'd love to hear it because since they locked things down again, I haven't found a SIP client or other workaround that allows it work work over data.)
Rock it.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9310 upvotes
Despite all the small quirks and the small cons, I still find this pretty useful. Glad something this nice has come out and the CRTC not holding the leash on this one.
Blanka
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2010
3521 posts
1223 upvotes
Halifax
nedjel wrote: How is this different from using google mail for Canada & USA free calling ?
The main difference is that you get a real phone number, so someone can call you.
Dec 19, 2005
991 posts
60 upvotes
Brampton
djemzine wrote: Despite all the small quirks and the small cons, I still find this pretty useful. Glad something this nice has come out and the CRTC not holding the leash on this one.

+1!

Now, if only I can find some company to offer only data plan for cell phone. ;)
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes
HowEver wrote: IN OTHER WORDS, let's say you have a 416 number, but are in Montreal--and you are calling a number in Montreal. Take 5 minutes, register a Dell Voice number for Montreal using another email address, et voila, free calling.

No, you wouldn't need to register the second number. Since Montreal is on their list you can call a Montreal number for free, regardless of where your number is registered and you can make that call from anywhere in the world. Only if you are calling a city that is not on their list do you have to worry about long distance, and then the rate is calculated by your area and the number you are calling.
Dec 10, 2011
43 posts
7 upvotes
Canada
I am using prepaid phone atm. Will using Fongo use up my prepaid credit on my phone when I am connected to wifi?
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes
TomComputer wrote: I am using prepaid phone atm. Will using Fongo use up my prepaid credit on my phone when I am connected to wifi?
nope. If you are on wifi it won't affect your carrier charges at all.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29708 posts
29127 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
djino wrote: $15/month is pretty close to that offer.
Except that the WIND network blows compared to the Robbers network. That may be a minor difference to you. It isn't for me.

(And I'm fairly sure I'd have to get a new phone in order to access WIND's network.)
veni, vidi, Visa
Jan 14, 2007
349 posts
9 upvotes
ares_toronto wrote: Confused!!!!What is the difference between www.freephoneline.ca and Fongo.com? Are they the same?

They're the same. freephonline.ca came first powered by fongo.

Fongo is is offering a free number that you can use with a smartphone.
Feb 17, 2006
57 posts
8 upvotes
Installed in my iPad2; got a new number; it can call landline or vice versa; voice quality is very good/clear.
Dec 10, 2011
43 posts
7 upvotes
Canada
ceredon wrote: nope. If you are on wifi it won't affect your carrier charges at all.

That's good to hear. Thanks.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
4264 posts
5638 upvotes
Muskoka
dealgini wrote: +1!

Now, if only I can find some company to offer only data plan for cell phone. ;)

You would still need a cell phone voice plan for SMS texting. Maybe there is an app to to that as well - I don't know.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)