Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

[Merged] Free Comic Book Day-May 2nd 2009

• Last Updated:
  • May 2nd, 2009 6:44 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2004
1509 posts
31 upvotes

[Merged] Free Comic Book Day-May 2nd 2009

As comic collectors are aware every year on the Saturday after the first big comic book movie opens there is Free Comic Book Day. When most comic book shops worldwides (check your local shops) hand out some neat freebies comic books and other stuff. It all depends on your local shop anyway this years is May 2nd, 2009 the day after X Men Origins: Wolverine opens. I am sure with the way the economy is this year the freebies might go even quicker so enjoy, have fun, post some of the freebies you get if you get any.

Store locater and info

http://www.freecomicbookday.com/
16 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2006
2993 posts
1125 upvotes
Thanks for the reminder Kalel :)
Last year was great, as there were 4 local shops in the area that participated.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2004
1509 posts
31 upvotes
Not a problem I did not include the link cause in previous years the url giving details and localesd had some errorsd sorta like the url for the National Sports Card Day post I did earlier this year. I know it's silly but was concerned if it had errors people would fault me.
Nov 24, 2008
130 posts
Calgary
For all you nerds at heart, this Saturday May 02, 09 is free comic book day. For those of you who've never been to one, you just show up at your local comic book store and there should be displays of comics for your taking.

Of course, you don't get to choose whichever comic in store you want, there's a predetermined stack so most likely you'll walk away with She-Hulk, Fantastic Four, Cable, or something that most people wouldn't buy.

But hey, it's free.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2007
1356 posts
95 upvotes
Ottawa
Just a tip if you don't care what comics you get is to go a few days later. You miss the crowds entirely and there's always plenty left. I take my daughter and let her pick out a few each year.
Apr 19, 2006
39 posts
2 upvotes
While we appreciate your interest in Free Comic Book Day at All New Comics, we aren't going to be opening it up to the general public this year.

Last year Free Comic Book Day cost us approximately $400.00, and didn't generate nearly enough business to justify that cost. Unlike a traditional "Brick and Mortar" store, we know when people return to our site, and frankly very few people who took advantage of Free Comic Book Day from us returned to buy anything.

Please visit your local brick and mortar store to participate in Free Comic Book Day. They would love to see you, and you'll have a great time in store, which is an experience that we can't replicate online.

We'll be having some great sales on Sunday (the day AFTER free comic book day which last year we referred to as "Almost Free Comic Book Day") which is open to everyone, but this year we're only able to do Free Comic Book Day for subscribers online.

If you'd like to read more about All New Comics' experiences last year with Free Comic Book Day, please read my blog article titled "Free Comic Book Day costs a lot".

Thanks!
Feb 1, 2008
895 posts
117 upvotes
im interested, but how does it exactly work? is it all in a pile and you just go and grab it, or do you have to ask for it?

and i checked out the website, whats the difference between gold and silver comics?
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2006
2993 posts
1125 upvotes
dubjk wrote: im interested, but how does it exactly work? is it all in a pile and you just go and grab it, or do you have to ask for it?

and i checked out the website, whats the difference between gold and silver comics?
Participating stores are prepared, so you don't need to worry about asking for them :)
There are usually tables set up and signs with the limit of books per person (usually 2 each). Last year, there were little baggies available at some stores with addtional miniature comic hero toys. Lineups move very quickly, so don't let that deter you from going. I'm heading out shortly myself!
May 31, 2008
456 posts
284 upvotes
If you are in winnipeg head to Comics America on Academy. they had quite a selection
Sep 11, 2008
379 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
I went to Silver Snail in Toronto this morning. I waited in line for maybe 25 minutes. Apparently they have a limit this year (10) on how many comic books you can get. The selection is ok, but I ended up spending way too much money on action figures. Now I have to cut back on food! :cry:
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2006
1555 posts
659 upvotes
Ottawa
Got one copy of each book at The Comic Book Shoppe on Bank in downtown Ottawa this morning. It was busy, but not crazy.

I defiantly like the setup from the last time I went out for this, which was a few years ago, (one comic per person per store). One table with every comic means a person if much more likely to hang around and shop once they've filled up, rather then dashing to another store to get a different free book.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
3657 posts
1135 upvotes
Montreal
went to the one on ste.catherine, Montreal this morning. Very quiet, not many people (around 9:45am) allowed 3 free books/person.
Feb 6, 2003
951 posts
30 upvotes
Picked up my free comic book and then went to lineup at HD for cheap dirt.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)