Page 261 of 485

Re: freephoneline.ca - Free Local Soft Phone Line for lifetime VOIP

Posted: Feb 23rd, 2016 1:40 pm
by RedBargainz
Thanks.

Posted: Feb 24th, 2016 9:45 am
by ModemOutlet
Is sip config file $70 now? I paid $50 many years ago and $60 last year.

Posted: Feb 24th, 2016 9:46 am
by ModemOutlet
Webslinger wrote:
Every 911 call is $35+tax.

How can they collect $35 911 fee if no credit card associated with this account? Anybody here get charged $35 before?

Posted: Feb 24th, 2016 9:55 am
by tk1000
ModemOutlet wrote: Is sip config file $70 now? I paid $50 many years ago and $60 last year.
"go to the Online Store and purchase a Voip Unlock Key for a one time price of $69.95 + TAX."
from http://support.freephoneline.ca/entries ... is-Blocked
ModemOutlet wrote: How can they collect $35 911 fee if no credit card associated with this account?
The $35 fee which is payable after the call is made, failure to remit payment may result in termination of service.
from http://support.freephoneline.ca/entries ... lice-Fire-

Posted: Feb 24th, 2016 10:09 am
by Guest1284983
ModemOutlet wrote: Is sip config file $70 now?
Yes

Price jumped $20 within the last 1.5 years, first to $60 and now to $70.
Anybody here get charged $35 before?
I haven't, but I haven't called 911 since this new rule has been put in place either.

Posted: Feb 26th, 2016 10:10 am
by b3lb3l
At 4:30am this morning I got a call. In the email msg I got from the answering service there is a file called "fax_message_2016-2-26_9-19-35.pdf". It is a blank pdf. The number was 'anonymous'. Short of blocking all anonymous calls, is there any way to prevent this from happening again? Is there an easy way to prevent all fax calls?

Posted: Feb 26th, 2016 12:06 pm
by UTSC
I have been using FPL for a very long time without any issues. I have SPA112 and OBI 110 but I strongly prefer OBI110.

Recently when using FPL I encountered the "ONE WAY Incoming Audio" Issue in Both SPA112 & OBI 110 devices.
Google Voice was working fine in OBI 110. I have been using the same ISP & Router.

I tried voip.freephoneline, voip2.freephoneline, voip3.freephoneline and voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 but the issue was NOT resolved.

After a lot of painful research the "ONE WAY Incoming Audio" Issue was Resolved by Enabling and specifying a STUN server

I wonder what happened? Is there a better alternative than using a STUN server? What are the alternatives available to me

Posted: Feb 26th, 2016 12:26 pm
by Guest1284983
b3lb3l wrote: At 4:30am this morning I got a call. In the email msg I got from the answering service there is a file called "fax_message_2016-2-26_9-19-35.pdf". It is a blank pdf. The number was 'anonymous'. Short of blocking all anonymous calls, is there any way to prevent this from happening again? Is there an easy way to prevent all fax calls?
Since any phone number could potentially send a fax call, and since any outgoing phone number can be spoofed, no.
Simply because you received a fax from an anonymous number doesn't mean you can't receive faxes from any number, much less anonymous ones.

Posted: Feb 26th, 2016 12:32 pm
by Guest1284983
UTSC wrote: I wonder what happened? Is there a better alternative than using a STUN server?
Yes. If the STUN server goes down or if there's a problem with it, then you will experience the same issue again. Consequently, STUN servers should not be used, if possible.
After a lot of painful research the "ONE WAY Incoming Audio" Issue
You could have searched this thread.

merged-freephoneline-ca-free-local-soft ... st24955445
I wonder what happened?
What brand and model modem and router are you using? Perhaps some new firmware got pushed to your modem.

Often the problem is due to RTP packets not reaching the ATA. Common causes involve poorly functioning SIP ALGs (especially true with certain Netgear routers) in routers or NAT firewalls.

Hardware Specific Issues

A. Netgear R7000 routers
Disable SIP ALG. If you have a Netgear R7000 router, you may need to install XWRT firmware. Afterwards, turn off the router and the ATA. Turn on the router. Wait for it to be fully up and running (including wi-fi). Then turn on the ATA. Download XWRT-Vortex here: http://xvtx.ru/xwrt/download.htm

B. Nettis 4422 modem from Carry Telecom (click the "Internet" tab)
http://www.carrytel.ca/support.aspx
Q : DSL - My VoIP phone does not work with Netis 4422 modem.
A : Please download the newest Netis firmware at www.carrytel.ca/download/netis1228.zip. Unzip the netis1228.zip file and update the firmware file netis1228.img for your modem. The new firmware has been tested and working with most of Voip phone providers

i. Before beginning the steps below make sure whatever modem/router combo your ISP gave you is in bridge mode if you are using your own router. Call/contact your ISP if you have to.

1. Disable any and all port forwarding and/or DMZ in your router. Port forwarding creates security issues and can open the door to SIP scanners and hackers. If you're having trouble with SIP scanners and/or telemarketers, visit newegg-ca-obi200-39-99cad-obi202-59-99c ... st24563087

2. If you used the Obitalk web portal (www.obitalk.com) to configure your ATA, keep in mind that you must continue using it to configure your ATA. Otherwise whatever settings you change will eventually be overwritten by what you previously entered at obitalk.com anyway. If you wish to disable this behaviour, dial ***1. Enter that IP address into a web browser. Navigate to System Management-->OBiTalk Provisioning-->select Disabled for the method. Save. Reboot ATA. Now obitalk.com won't overwrite whatever changes you make via the device's interface (via IP address).

Pick one method (obitalk.com) or the other (IP address of device) for changing device settings. But do not use both methods. Keep in mind that activating Google Voice requires using the Obitalk.com web portal.

(In Obitalk.com, you will need to enable and enter expert settings to do the following, if you want to use Obitalk.com.)

3. In your Obihai ATA or at Obitalk.com, Navigate to Voice Services-->SP(FPL) Service-->X_UserAgentPort
Pick a random number between 30000 and 60000

(submit/save/reboot)

4. Retest
When I say Retest, retest always includes the following: A. Turn off both router and ATA. B. Turn on router. Wait for router to be fully up and transmitting data. C. Turn on ATA.

Then retest by calling your FPL phone number. If the problem is solved, don't continue.

5. If there are still problems, try disabling the SIP ALG feature in whatever router or modem/router combo it is that you're using:
http://www.obihai.com/faq/sip-alg/calling-out
I'm of the opinion Apple routers don't offer this feature, but you might as well check. If you manage to disable SIP ALG in the router, then retest. If you received a modem/router combo, from your ISP ask your ISP. It is typically better to stick the modem/router combo from your ISP in bridge mode and use an external router.

See here for an example on how to disable SIP ALG in a router: http://www.obihai.com/faq/sip-alg/disable-alg

Save settings.
Turn off both router and ATA. Turn on router. Wait for router to be fully up and transmitting data. Turn on ATA.
Then retest by calling your FPL phone number. If the problem is solved, don't continue.

6. Try Proxyserver voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060
visit http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16196 (look at the .pdf)
(I'm of the opinion that step #7 makes this step redundant, but trying this is worth a shot anyway).
Retest. When I say Retest, retest always includes the following: A. Turn off both router and ATA. B. Turn on router. Wait for router to be fully up and transmitting data. C. Turn on ATA.

voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 is a SIP server whose purpose is to help those with SIP ALG issues (can't disable it in the user's router, for example).

7. Try this at your own risk: use voip3.freephoneline.ca as the proxyserver
voip3.freephoneline.ca is intended for testing purposes only--or for those who receive explicit permission to use it. Using it for an extended period may get your account banned. However, if using voip3.freephoneline.ca does work, you should open up a ticket with support and let them know that you can't get two-way audio any other way: https://support.fongo.com/anonymous_requests/new

If no responds to your support ticket, provide the ticket number in a private message to Fongo Support: http://forum.fongo.com/ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&u=7852

FPL configures its SIP servers differently than many other VoIP providers.
voip3.freephoneline.ca conforms more to the norm. But using it without permission can get your account banned.
If you'd like to avoid getting your account banned, use Proxyserver voip.freephoneline.ca, voip2.freephoneline.ca, or voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 instead and skip to step #14.

8. Retest. When I say Retest, retest always includes the following: A. Turn off both router and ATA. B. Turn on router. Wait for router to be fully up and transmitting data. C. Turn on ATA.

Then retest by calling your FPL phone number.

9. If none of that helps, then, unfortunately, you're pretty much stuck with port forwarding your RTP (UDP) port range 16660-16798 from your router to your ATA. For reference, that range can be found under ITSP Profile (FPL)-->RTP. Then look at LocalPortMin and LocalPortMax. RTP packets need to reach your ATA in order for you get incoming audio. Quite often, when the one way audio issue occurs, this is the problem. RTP packets are not reaching your ATA. Ideally, one should not have to port forward in order to achieve proper two-way audio, since port forwarding does create security issues. Port forwarding should only be done when everything else fails.

Refer to the port forwarding section of your router manual to learn how to port forward to your ATA. If a router was given to you by your ISP, call your ISP.

10. Retest. When I say Retest, retest always includes the following: A. Turn off both router and ATA. B. Turn on router. Wait for router to be fully up and transmitting data. C. Turn on ATA.

Then retest by calling your FPL phone number.

11. If all else fails, try posting at http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... &start=300 and/or open a support ticket at https://support.fongo.com/anonymous_requests/new
If no responds to your support ticket, provide the ticket number in a private message to Fongo Support: http://forum.fongo.com/ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&u=7852

When I say Retest, retest always includes the following: A. Turn off both router and ATA. B. Turn on router. Wait for router to be fully up and transmitting data. C. Turn on ATA.

Posted: Feb 26th, 2016 1:15 pm
by Guest1284983
UTSC wrote: Recently when using FPL I encountered the "ONE WAY Incoming Audio" Issue
I haven't checked in a long time, but does the OBi110 have these settings?

Navigate to Service Providers-->ITSP Profile (FPL)-->SIP

i) ensure X_DiscoverPublicAddress is enabled

ii) enable X_UsePublicAddressInVia

I don't think OBi110 does even with the latest firmware, but I'm not positive.

Anyway, if you have those settings available to you, enable them.

Posted: Feb 26th, 2016 1:21 pm
by Guest1284983
b3lb3l wrote: A Is there an easy way to prevent all fax calls?
What I wrote before is true, but you could enable DND on your ATA before heading off to sleep as well.

Posted: Feb 26th, 2016 3:55 pm
by DogeMusk
Web, can the Obi100 handle 2 FPL accounts simultaneously? I know the other devices can. Wasn't sure the old 100 can or not.

Posted: Feb 26th, 2016 4:28 pm
by Guest1284983
BenK wrote: Web, can the Obi100 handle 2 FPL accounts simultaneously?
I don't see why not. Although, you need to be careful with multiple registration attempts within a 5 minute period, I think.
IIRC, you get 5 attempts within 5 minutes. More than that, and you'll end up with a temporary IP ban.

So you might want to change RegisterRetryInterval (number of seconds after a registration failure to attempt registration again) to something greater than 120s (2 minutes). I'm not sure the exact time to suggest. Maybe 240s.

ITSP Profile -->SIP-->RegisterRetryInterval is where the setting is found
You would do this for both ITSP Profiles.

I think I would also be inclined to stick one FPL account on voip.freephoneline.ca and the other on voip2.freephoneline.ca

Posted: Feb 26th, 2016 6:40 pm
by indebted
Hardware:
Rogers SMCD3GN Modem/Router (bridge mode)
Linksys e3200

I’ve read the benefits of the Obi202 over the 200, but I’m not sure I need the overkill.

I have a home office. My phone is a Rogers Home Phone landline and I share that line for the 3 or so faxes I might need to send/receive a year. My business is online, so most communication is via email, but I do have the occasional time I need to use the phone. I have an FPL number, but haven’t purchased an unlock key. I’m moving in a few months and since I’m going to have to take everything apart anyway, I’m thinking of buying an ATA and the FPL unlock key and saying bye bye to some of the ongoing robbery the telcos are subjecting us to.

I know the 202 has two lines, but with the ability of 4 services, I don’t need both. Or do I? That’s where I’m stuck. To service a ported Rogers’ landline, my second FPL/Fongo/SoftPhone line (that would never be used simultaneously) and send/receive the odd fax, is the 200 sufficient or do I need the 202?

I’ve also tested using WinMTR. Here are the results of FPL voip, voip2 and voip4 respectively, but I’m not sure how to interpret the results. Oh, and I'm in Pickering if it matters.

| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
| ************ - 0 | 69 | 69 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| No response from host - 100 | 14 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| **.***.***.*** - 0 | 69 | 69 | 9 | 12 | 22 | 10 |
| **.***.***.*** - 0 | 69 | 69 | 9 | 15 | 28 | 13 |
| **.***.***.*** - 0 | 69 | 69 | 23 | 28 | 95 | 28 |
| be3056.ccr21.jfk05.atlas.cogentco.com - 0 | 69 | 69 | 23 | 26 | 40 | 25 |
| be2060.ccr41.jfk02.atlas.cogentco.com - 0 | 69 | 69 | 23 | 27 | 42 | 29 |
| be2106.ccr21.alb02.atlas.cogentco.com - 0 | 69 | 69 | 22 | 26 | 43 | 25 |
| be2436.ccr21.yyz02.atlas.cogentco.com - 0 | 69 | 69 | 23 | 27 | 41 | 27 |
|te0-0-2-0.rcr12.b011027-3.yyz02.atlas.cogentco.com - 0 | 69 | 69 | 23 | 26 | 40 | 27 |
| 38.122.70.210 - 0 | 69 | 69 | 23 | 26 | 40 | 24 |
| db.fongo.com - 0 | 69 | 69 | 22 | 26 | 39 | 26 |

|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
| *********** - 0 | 70 | 70 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| No response from host - 100 | 15 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| **.***.***.** - 0 | 70 | 70 | 9 | 12 | 20 | 14 |
| **.***.***.** - 0 | 70 | 70 | 9 | 13 | 21 | 12 |
| **.***.***.** - 0 | 70 | 70 | 23 | 27 | 49 | 26 |
| be3056.ccr21.jfk05.atlas.cogentco.com - 0 | 70 | 70 | 22 | 26 | 35 | 28 |
| be2061.ccr42.jfk02.atlas.cogentco.com - 0 | 70 | 70 | 24 | 27 | 35 | 25 |
| be2107.ccr22.alb02.atlas.cogentco.com - 0 | 70 | 70 | 23 | 26 | 34 | 24 |
| be2437.ccr22.yyz02.atlas.cogentco.com - 0 | 70 | 70 | 22 | 26 | 33 | 24 |
|te0-0-2-3.rcr12.b011027-3.yyz02.atlas.cogentco.com - 0 | 70 | 70 | 24 | 27 | 36 | 25 |
| 38.122.70.210 - 0 | 70 | 70 | 22 | 26 | 36 | 25 |
| host-162-213-111-22.static.295.ca - 2 | 67 | 66 | 0 | 25 | 38 | 24 |

| *********** - 0 | 70 | 70 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 0 |
| **.***.***.** - 0 | 70 | 70 | 7 | 13 | 23 | 11 |
| **.***.***.** - 0 | 70 | 70 | 10 | 14 | 24 | 14 |
| **.***.***.** - 0 | 70 | 70 | 10 | 14 | 46 | 10 |
|te0-0-2-3.rcr12.b011027-3.yyz02.atlas.cogentco.com - 0 | 70 | 70 | 11 | 15 | 28 | 14
| 38.122.70.210 - 0 | 70 | 70 | 11 | 14 | 27 | 13 |
| host-162-213-111-21.static.295.ca - 0 | 70 | 70 | 10 | 13 | 26 | 12 |

So, basically, is the Obi200 sufficient for my needs or do I need the 202, and which test above is the best?

TIA.

Posted: Feb 26th, 2016 7:07 pm
by Guest1284983
indebted wrote: I’ve read the benefits of the Obi202 over the 200, but I’m not sure I need the overkill.
Just so you understand, the OBi202 has an extra phone port/jack and its own internal router, which, hopefully, you'll never use.
I know the 202 has two lines
Two Phone jacks/ports (people sometimes get confused when I say port)

Both phone ports can access all of your services. All of your services provisioned on the ATA can ring both phone ports.

So, do people in your household need more than one phone port/jack?
but with the ability of 4 services
12, actually

4 VoIP service providers with phone numbers from all of them and 8 Voice Gateways (used for outbound calls only)
I don’t need both. Or do I?
Only you can answer that question. Do you live in a house?

How do I connect an ATA to my house, so that all existing phone jacks work?

You may need to disconnect your Telco company's line at the demarc--or make sure power from it is not running to your existing phone jacks. Otherwise, you run this risk of frying your ATA. Visit http://www.voipmyhouse.com/#thesolution.

Also, check out bogolisk and canadaodyowner's pictures/posts over here: merged-freephoneline-ca-free-local-soft ... 21229/331/
Better to ask them about it than me.

To service a ported Rogers’ landline, my second FPL/Fongo/SoftPhone line
You can't provision FPL's service on an ATA without paying $70+tax per account (or per FPL phone number). So if you have a free FPL number, you can't use it on an ATA anyway.
send/receive the odd fax, is the 200 sufficient or do I need the 202?
All faxes to FPL that are answered by FPL's voicemail system are automatically converted to .pdf (and can also automatically be emailed to you).
I’ve also tested using WinMTR.
This should be done between 8 p.m. and 11 p.m. (especially on a Sunday).

Oh, and I'm in Pickering if it matters.
It does matter. FPL's servers are in Ontario, possibly around Waterloo or Milton (or maybe even closer to Toronto). The longer the path between you and the servers you're connecting to, the greater the likelihood of a problem occurring along that path (not the least of which is the potential for increased lag or delay).
| db.fongo.com - 0 | 69 | 69 | 22 | 26 | 39 | 26 |

voip.freephoneline.ca looks very good. No packet loss. Average ping is 26 ms. Worst is 39 ms. Not much jitter

| host-162-213-111-22.static.295.ca - 2 | 67 | 66 | 0 | 25 | 38 | 24 |
The 0 value is not reliable. Anyway, 2% packet loss for voip2.freephoneline.ca

| host-162-213-111-21.static.295.ca - 0 | 70 | 70 | 10 | 13 | 26 | 12 |
voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 is your best result. No packet loss with an average ping of 13ms (lower is better). Worst is 26ms.
Not a ton of jitter here.

Visit newegg-obihai-obi202-voip-phone-adapter ... st25148559

So, for you, freephoneline.ca={voip.freephoneline.ca,2},{voip2.freephoneline.ca,3},{voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060,1}

1,2,3 are ranked by what's best for you based on what your results.
So, basically, is the Obi200 sufficient for my needs
Just decide if you want two phone ports

It is also possible to use a splitter on a phone port.

Posted: Feb 26th, 2016 9:17 pm
by b3lb3l
Webslinger wrote: Just so you understand, the OBi202 has an extra phone port/jack and its own internal router, which, hopefully, you'll never use.
Why do you say that? I like the idea, but does it not work well?

Posted: Feb 26th, 2016 10:15 pm
by Guest1284983
b3lb3l wrote: Why do you say that? I like the idea, but does it not work well?
OBi202's maximum routing throughput between the WAN and LAN side is approximately 30 Mbps when there are no active calls.

Posted: Feb 26th, 2016 10:32 pm
by b3lb3l
Gotcha!

Posted: Feb 26th, 2016 10:43 pm
by indebted
Thank you!
Webslinger wrote: Just so you understand, the OBi202 has an extra phone port …
So, do people in your household need more than one phone port/jack?
Yes, thanks. I meant the extra port. And the household consists of just myself so the previously detailed needs are it, and it sounds like the 200 is sufficient.
Do you live in a house?
Yes, I’m in a house, but I have an expandable cordless set. The base is the only unit that is currently plugged into a phone jack, so my assumption is I would plug the base into the ATA. Nothing would be plugged into a phone jack going forward.
You can't provision FPL's service on an ATA without paying $70+tax per account (or per FPL phone number). So if you have a free FPL number, you can't use it on an ATA anyway.
I’m aware of the $70 plus $25 plus possible $35 fees and I’m cool with that. But are you saying that the current free number I have won’t work if/when I purchase the unlock key or whatever they call it? I’d have to get another number and set that up with the ATA?
This should be done between 8 p.m. and 11 p.m. (especially on a Sunday).

Thanks. I’ll test again then.
voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 is your best result. No packet loss with an average ping of 13ms (lower is better). Worst is 26ms.
Not a ton of jitter here.
[FONT=&amp]I’ll compare the results on Sunday. Thanks again.

[/FONT]

Posted: Feb 26th, 2016 10:55 pm
by Guest1284983
indebted wrote:
I’m aware of the $70 plus $25 plus possible $35 fees and I’m cool with that. But are you saying that the current free number I have won’t work if/when I purchase the unlock key or whatever they call it?
It will work, if you pay $70 for each and every phone number you use with FPL on the ATA. Sorry, I may have been confused by what you wrote previously. I thought you were going to port your Rogers number to FPL and wanted to keep your existing free FPL number to use on the ATA as well.

If so that would cost $70 (for the first FPL #) + $25 (to port into the first FPL #) + $70 (for the second FPL #) + taxes.

I’d have to get another number and set that up with the ATA?
No.