Page 80 of 485

Re: freephoneline.ca - Free Local Soft Phone Line for lifetime VOIP

Posted: Jun 30th, 2011 10:50 am
by samson
rambokid wrote: I call from LL to PAP2T phone, don’t answer, then hang-up, but the PAP2T phone rings 3 times before shut up.
I played with the CPC Delay and CPC Duration parameters, no effect. Not really a problem, but an an irritant. Any suggestion?

Do you have a tomato based router? If so, under advanced ---> Conntrack/Netfilter, set Unreplied UDP Timeout to 10.
Also, Set Assured to a value higher than the NAT Keep Alive Intvl.

Posted: Jun 30th, 2011 11:24 am
by TorontoEh
hey guys, just pulling the trigger on buying the PAP2 but had a quick question on which one should I get?

Is there any advantage of getting the Grandstream router from FPL directly (apart from already configured file) does it come unlocked so I could use it if I move from FPL?

Ncix has PAP2T-NA for $53.41 and Direct Canada for $51.xx but offer free shipping (will likely buy it from here)

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=21847&vpn ... ture=CISCO

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?s ... ture=CISCO

Posted: Jun 30th, 2011 9:25 pm
by tomtong
If you're in toronto and don't want to wait, infonec sells it for $51.99.

http://www.infonec.ca/site/main.php?mod ... p2&x=0&y=0

Posted: Jul 1st, 2011 2:24 pm
by TorontoEh
TorontoEh wrote: hey guys, just pulling the trigger on buying the PAP2 but had a quick question on which one should I get?

Is there any advantage of getting the Grandstream router from FPL directly (apart from already configured file) does it come unlocked so I could use it if I move from FPL?

Ncix has PAP2T-NA for $53.41 and Direct Canada for $51.xx but offer free shipping (will likely buy it from here)

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=21847&vpn ... ture=CISCO

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?s ... ture=CISCO

anyone?

Posted: Jul 1st, 2011 5:54 pm
by champlinD
TorontoEh wrote: anyone?

As far as I know they are unlocked. But put it in FPL support forum and Chris will answer you. Thats direct reply from the company

Confused

Posted: Jul 3rd, 2011 9:09 pm
by Magnanimous
Please explain to me why one or I should port my number to FPL? Or even pay to get VOIP for FPL when their free service is worse than flaky. I would say it works only about 1/2 the time when I need to use it. Mind you, I don't use it much just to make long long distance calls within Canada when Google voice's audio quality sucks.

Posted: Jul 3rd, 2011 9:58 pm
by bingo_jake
Pavel wrote: Please explain to me why one or I should port my number to FPL? Or even pay to get VOIP for FPL when their free service is worse than flaky. I would say it works only about 1/2 the time when I need to use it. Mind you, I don't use it much just to make long long distance calls within Canada when Google voice's audio quality sucks.

well, I switched and ported my phone number from Bell (after 7 years) to FPL last spring and honestly paying $70 ($50+$20 for the SIP configuration and the cost of porting my number) was one of the best money I spent. I disagree with you that their service is flaky and works only 1/2 time. I think you probably have a problem with your setup (or using the soft phone).

in over a year that I have been using FPL as my main home phone line, I had only problems for 2, 3 times in last summer and they all were resolved in couple hours.

for zero dollar I am getting a lot more services that I used to get from Bell when I was paying over $40 per month.

anyway, I am a happy user of FPL, and of course I have cell phone as backup in case for any reason (hydro power, Rogers internet problems, FPL problems...) I can't use the voip service, but again as I said their service has been very stable since fall 2010 and I would definitely recommend FPL to anyone.

Posted: Jul 3rd, 2011 9:59 pm
by embguy
Pavel wrote: Please explain to me why one or I should port my number to FPL? Or even pay to get VOIP for FPL when their free service is worse than flaky. I would say it works only about 1/2 the time when I need to use it. Mind you, I don't use it much just to make long long distance calls within Canada when Google voice's audio quality sucks.

VOIP depends on the bandwidth of your Internet connection. When you don't have good voice quality with Google Voice. You may not get good voice quality for any VOIP service if you Internet connection is not good at the time. Do a speed test on your connection when the VOIP is flaky.

What is the rated speed of your Internet?

Porting your number to any of the VOIP service allows your friend to call you on your number. Otherwise, you can only calls out.

Posted: Jul 3rd, 2011 10:05 pm
by bridonca

There is an extremely high chance that your internet connection sucks. With your situation, I can see why you would be better off with a land line. Just for giggles, use this site to test out your internet connection regularly to see if it is suitable for VOIP, I suspect not so much. http://myspeed.visualware.com/servers/n ... erate.com/

Posted: Jul 3rd, 2011 11:24 pm
by fredsmith
He could just have a crappy computer.

Having said that, I would not port my number to anyone from Bell nor would I cancel my POTS - I want five-nines uptime, something that neither hosted VoIP nor cellular can provide yet.

Posted: Jul 4th, 2011 8:08 am
by Proteinz
Thanks for the thread - I just purchased a cisco pap2t-na at CC, got my config file off FPL within 5 min, and was up and running within 10 min of setup. Calls sound great and everything works fine.

Posted: Jul 4th, 2011 9:23 am
by weedb0y
I've also noticed that softphones are terrible when compared with a dedicated ATA. (I get crisp quality on FPL while Skype/Google Voice have always been a luck of the draw). Sometimes good, sometimes choppy.

More than enough bandwidth for even Netflix HD streams.

Posted: Jul 4th, 2011 9:24 am
by hyperactiveme
Anyone use FPL DSL service too? Looking to switch from acanac to either Fpl or cogeco internet. Definitely getting fpl phone

Posted: Jul 4th, 2011 9:31 am
by kiasu
Anyone here using FPL with your DCS Alarm system? I would like to know what're the setting need to be done. Thank you.

Posted: Jul 4th, 2011 9:45 am
by paradime
weedb0y wrote: I've also noticed that softphones are terrible when compared with a dedicated ATA.
That was my experience.

When I first signed onto FPL and used the softphone app, I had an echoing problem that I couldn't resolve even with the help of a number of people and various posts on their forums. In spite of that, I decided to go ahead, get the ATA and pay the $50. Well, it's been fantastic ever since.

Posted: Jul 4th, 2011 10:09 am
by BobSagget
In my case when making calls through the softphone, the call would connect but I would not be able to hear anything for 6-10 seconds. Every single time.

I remember phoning someone to leave a message and by the time I heard the other end their voice mail had already picked up and was waiting for me to leave a message.

I still took a chance with the ATA and have not regretted it. No issues like the above or anything else.

Posted: Jul 4th, 2011 10:45 am
by Soul_Rebel
Can someone give me the quick how to on receiving faxes as PDFs? I noticed I have a couple of spam faxes in my inbox so apparently I can receive faxes...

Posted: Jul 4th, 2011 10:49 am
by BobSagget
you just fax your document to your FPL number and let voicemail get it. PDF is sent to email.
you can try http://faxzero.com/ to quickly test.

Posted: Jul 4th, 2011 10:51 am
by embguy
Don't need to do anything. It will detect and do the fax handshake to receive fax automatically. Just give out your FPL number to receive fax.

Posted: Jul 4th, 2011 11:23 am
by yannakm
Just noticed a big minus to the service this week end. It is the inability to call Info-Santé (811).
I have small children and need to call there if they get sick.