• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2018 1:53 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2005
3866 posts
175 upvotes
The screenshot of your tv with the channel guide on display, is that produced by your atsc tuner in your tv or are you using something like mythTV?
Ephemera

Proud member since 2005!
Dec 16, 2006
636 posts
4 upvotes
CM4221 C$40 + shipping

http://sensuz.com/store/catalog/product ... 0268ceddc1

More info on OTA (over the air) Free HD

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=81

Normal channel line-up for GTA:

2.1 WGRZ-D
4.1 WIVB-HD
4.3 WNLO-SD 480i
5.1 CBLT-DT
7.1 WKBW-DT 720p
9.1 CFTO-HD
23.1 WIVB-HD
23.3 WNLO-SD 480i
25.1 CBLFT-D
29.1 WUTV-HD 720p
29.2 WUTV-SD 480i
43.1 WNED-HD
43.2 WNED-SD 480i
43.3 THINKB 480i
53.1 CITY-HD
STERCUS ACCIDIT :cheesygri
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
11948 posts
250 upvotes
Boy I've been waiting for a post like this to kickstart my brain and get into OTA HD. I have the Viewsonic N3751W, which says it has an integrated ATSC/NTSC tuner.

So do I need a tower, or can I roof mount a rotor and antenna? I have clear lines of sight in every direction from the highest point on my house. Or are there any antennas that don't require a rotor?

Finally, where did that channel guide come from? I suspect your TV cannot build a guide on the fly based on channels you are able to grab from antenna....

Thanks for the thread, glas, and any info you can provide.
Dec 16, 2006
636 posts
4 upvotes
deep wrote:
Jul 10th, 2007 12:10 am
Boy I've been waiting for a post like this to kickstart my brain and get into OTA HD. I have the Viewsonic N3751W, which says it has an integrated ATSC/NTSC tuner.

So do I need a tower, or can I roof mount a rotor and antenna? I have clear lines of sight in every direction from the highest point on my house. Or are there any antennas that don't require a rotor?

Finally, where did that channel guide come from? I suspect your TV cannot build a guide on the fly based on channels you are able to grab from antenna....

I personally have a wall mount with a 10 foot mast. (did not want to mess up brand new roof) Dont have a rotor. Cm4221 is pointed directly at Buffalo but due to proximity to CN tower, I can still get TO channels no problem. A lot of other installs are Roof, Chimney, Attic or Tower.

The line up provided are only the HD, I also get regular feeed (non-HD) like Global, CHCH and such. I have a Samsung receiver that scans all available HD & non-HD channels.
STERCUS ACCIDIT :cheesygri
[OP]
Banned
May 29, 2005
2255 posts
33 upvotes
GTA
Yes...I have spotted a few cartoon channels for kids, and CW also shows some kids programmes, depending on their ages

RedDeer17 wrote:
Jul 9th, 2007 9:54 pm
Do you get any educational channels that would be interesting for kids?
[OP]
Banned
May 29, 2005
2255 posts
33 upvotes
GTA
ephemera wrote:
Jul 9th, 2007 10:33 pm
The screenshot of your tv with the channel guide on display, is that produced by your atsc tuner in your tv or are you using something like mythTV?
That comes from LG HDTV atsc tuner, not using any software to get that.
[OP]
Banned
May 29, 2005
2255 posts
33 upvotes
GTA
I also mentioned in my original post that I get analogue channels including all the ones you mentioned. I went for a tower on the side of the house, because I didn't want to lose signal by doing attic install, or mess up my roof by doing a roof install.

The tower is just anchored to the side of the house, and it's grounded. The CM4228 is the strongest antenna and will advise that one gets that instead of the CM4221

tataynik wrote:
Jul 10th, 2007 6:34 am
I personally have a wall mount with a 10 foot mast. (did not want to mess up brand new roof) Dont have a rotor. Cm4221 is pointed directly at Buffalo but due to proximity to CN tower, I can still get TO channels no problem. A lot of other installs are Roof, Chimney, Attic or Tower.

The line up provided are only the HD, I also get regular feeed (non-HD) like Global, CHCH and such. I have a Samsung receiver that scans all available HD & non-HD channels.
[OP]
Banned
May 29, 2005
2255 posts
33 upvotes
GTA
Believe it or not, I was surprised when I pressed guide on my tv remote and saw that. The guide comes from my LG LCD which has an atsc tuner built in. The mrs is well pleased that at least she can see what shows are coming up :D

deep wrote:
Jul 10th, 2007 12:10 am

Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2006
2208 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
So the system would cost about $780...

9521a rotor $140
CM4228 antenna $115
CM7777 amp $125
astc tunner $150
and the tower another $250 (plus building materials assume?)

yike... I would need to use it for at least 2 yrs to breakeven :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2003
1680 posts
16 upvotes
I would love to get a setup like this but 1) I live in a condo :D 2) apparently I live too close to the CN Tower according to the digital home folks. I could probably get buffalo with a terk/zenith silver sensor but toronto stations might not be possible. Won't know till I pick up a HD Tuner and an antenna though! All I know is with rabbit ears I can barely pick up anything, and apprently amplified rabbit ears could blow up my tv!
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2003
1680 posts
16 upvotes
virgoan wrote:
Jul 10th, 2007 10:15 am
So the system would cost about $780...

rotator $140
antenna $115
amplifier $125
astc tunner $150
and the tower another $250

yike... I would need to use it for at least 2 yrs to breakeven :cheesygri
Keep in Mind OTA HD signals aren't compressed so the quality is a lot better. At least that's what I read on the digitalhome forums. Can you verify Glaswegian?
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
11948 posts
250 upvotes
glaswegian wrote:
Jul 10th, 2007 7:35 am
Believe it or not, I was surprised when I pressed guide on my tv remote and saw that. The guide comes from my LG LCD which has an atsc tuner built in. The mrs is well pleased that at least she can see what shows are coming up :D
Wow - I'm impressed. Does the guide only show the channels that you receive? That would be a nifty trick.

I am going to try this this weekend with a little indoor antenna, and if it works at all, I'll go for the full Monty.
[OP]
Banned
May 29, 2005
2255 posts
33 upvotes
GTA
CoffeeAddict wrote:
Jul 10th, 2007 10:18 am
Keep in Mind OTA HD signals aren't compressed so the quality is a lot better. At least that's what I read on the digitalhome forums. Can you verify Glaswegian?
Affirmative sir
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2006
1008 posts
6 upvotes
Just a question, I don't have HD in my home yet, how many SD channels are there to receive? I was thinking of getting rid of my cable altogether and just live off of rabbit ears. I don't watch much TV, but I don't mind putting out an initial cost if it saves me in the end.
[OP]
Banned
May 29, 2005
2255 posts
33 upvotes
GTA
It's all relative to your location really....am pulling in over 12 from toronto and buffalo, and the pics are way better than cable