None
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2647 upvotes
ON
mrweather wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 9:32 pm
Read some of the Reddit comments. 4K OTA will be a pipedream for a while. There just isn't enough bandwidth using current tv channel spacing and ATSC standards.
Honestly, I'm ok with just 1080p if they upgrade to H264/5 or newer codecs to get more/better content in the existing 19.4mbps envelope.
IIRC h264 is already in the standards of today, but no one's using it yet.
Sep 2, 2014
107 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Raven_007 wrote:
Sep 17th, 2017 9:18 pm
Hello,

What is the best antenna/combo for me?

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapp ... 561d9c3590

I am thinking about DB8e with CM-7777 Titan2 UHF/VHF Pre-Amp.
I am also open to long range directional (i.e. Jeje TV Antenna or Channel Master CM-5020) + indoor/attic antenna for Toronto channels. I am looking to spend max 300, but can go a bit higher if there is a significant difference.

Thanks!
By your tvfool report, you don't appear to be far from me. In my case i have a DB4e with a CM-7778 preamp and it works great. CM-7777 is likely overkill (vs the 7778) unless you have lots of splits and lots of cable between the antenna and your tv.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
2335 posts
755 upvotes
Toronto
Anybody notice and/or know what is happening now that we are getting channel 4.4 ? It is identical to channel 7.2 but clearly something is happening. Speculating that maybe channel 4 is starting to finally sell sub-channels, and Laff wanted more coverage?
Dec 11, 2009
352 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
This is a repeated post, but I thought I may get more responses here, because the question is a bit more specific to OTA.
Are there any East end suppliers who carry RG6 coax bonding blocks? The only place I have found through search is Angel electronics in Mississauga, and I'd like to try and avoid spending an hour + in round trip drive time for a $2 part.

Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2647 upvotes
ON
quick72toy wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 9:48 am
This is a repeated post, but I thought I may get more responses here, because the question is a bit more specific to OTA.
Are there any East end suppliers who carry RG6 coax bonding blocks? The only place I have found through search is Angel electronics in Mississauga, and I'd like to try and avoid spending an hour + in round trip drive time for a $2 part.

Thanks
Check places like Princess Auto. They often have a lot of random coax items you wouldn't expect. Including preamps and antennas occasionally.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2005
1903 posts
344 upvotes
Birchmount & Ell…
Would the hw180stb be the best tuner box available without going over $100? I have an m65-e0 vizio and it doesnt have a tuner. Ive subscribed to bell for the last year or so but remembered why i cut the cord a few years ago. If there is something considerably better for a little more then 100 then id go for it. I like the thought of the hdhomerun but dont really wanna spend that much. Pvr isnt really something needed either.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
13154 posts
2660 upvotes
London
Those mediasonic boxes (hw150pvr, hw180stb, etc) aren't really reliable. They have badly designed power supplies that burn out after about 1 year.
Check out the reviews on Amazon (22% 1* reviews)

There's not a lot in mid price range. The other really cheap atsc tuners don't have HDMI and the decent ones are high priced
Feb 10, 2007
538 posts
37 upvotes
Oakville
JonSnow wrote:
Jun 18th, 2017 2:02 am
Only looking for local channels like cbc, cp24, global, city TV etc and then running that to a HDhomeRun.
Although cp24 is a local channel, it is not broadcast OTA unlike the other ones you mentionned.
Back by popular demand, the RFD OTA and/or FTA HDTV group buy. Signup now!
Feb 10, 2007
538 posts
37 upvotes
Oakville
Raven_007 wrote:
Sep 17th, 2017 9:18 pm
Hello,

What is the best antenna/combo for me?

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapp ... 561d9c3590

I am thinking about DB8e with CM-7777 Titan2 UHF/VHF Pre-Amp.
I am also open to long range directional (i.e. Jeje TV Antenna or Channel Master CM-5020) + indoor/attic antenna for Toronto channels. I am looking to spend max 300, but can go a bit higher if there is a significant difference.

Thanks!
DB8e would be WAY overkill for your location as all Buffalo channels are above 12 dB noise margin and the angle between Toronto & Buffalo is only 45 degrees. You would be better off with a compact VHF/UHF yagi such as the Channel Master CM-2016 or CM-2018 so that you have a good shot of receiving WBBZ which operates on RF 7.
Back by popular demand, the RFD OTA and/or FTA HDTV group buy. Signup now!
Jun 5, 2017
28 posts
16 upvotes
Hi All,

Really looking for some help and the size of this thread is a little overwhelming LOL. I just recently moved to Whitby, and am looking to install an outdoor antenna. Would anyone be willing to recommend an antenna based on the TVFool report? My major intersection Anderson and Rossland.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapp ... 139bb4ae1e

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2647 upvotes
ON
michelinman100 wrote:
Oct 28th, 2017 4:35 pm
Hi All,

Really looking for some help and the size of this thread is a little overwhelming LOL. I just recently moved to Whitby, and am looking to install an outdoor antenna. Would anyone be willing to recommend an antenna based on the TVFool report? My major intersection Anderson and Rossland.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapp ... 139bb4ae1e

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!!
DB4e pointed SSE.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
2741 posts
255 upvotes
Pickering
DB4e seconded, have one pointed SSE from Pickering and picking up almost everything.
Wise men speak because they have something to say, Fools because they have to say something.
May 19, 2004
325 posts
34 upvotes
MARKHAM
anyone know of any installer that might be in Markham?
May 3, 2010
2 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
We use the Antennas Direct C4-V everywhere in the GTA. It is only 28" x 20" and is one of the most sensitive on the market. It has about 10 miles more range than the DB4e and is 1/3 the size. We have several of them installed on student housing buildings across from UoIT on Simcoe St. north in Oshawa.

The Antenna Guys
May 3, 2010
2 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
DigiWave is what experts in the field refer to as 'Korean Crap'. They are made of sub-standard parts and workmanship using a 25 year old Channel Master design. They fall apart in a couple of Canadian Winters. Do yourself a favour and spend a little more and buy an antenna from Antennas Direct. C4-V is 1/4 the size of the DigiWave 8 bay with 10 miles more range, and a lifetime warranty.

The Antenna Guys