None
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
18660 posts
17682 upvotes
Toronto
ATSC 3.0 gets go ahead approval. Only your antennas will be compatible :(

https://www.tablotv.com/blog/what-cord- ... -3-part-2/

Unfortunately there are some not-so-cool downsides that come with it.

ATSC 3.0 also provides the technology broadcasters need to sell targeted advertising based on your viewing habits, just like Google and Facebook do based on which websites you visit.

And it’s also not backwards-compatible with the tuners inside your current TV and/or Over-the-Air TV gear, so if you want to be able to take advantage of the improvements you’ll need to invest in new TVs, DVRs, or converter boxes.
Not only did we embarrass Marky Mark, we let down the Funky Bunch.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2681 upvotes
ON
Guess I'll wait to upgrade my HDHR then. :)
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2004
11339 posts
1515 upvotes
sprung wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 3:15 pm
ATSC 3.0 gets go ahead approval. Only your antennas will be compatible :(

https://www.tablotv.com/blog/what-cord- ... -3-part-2/

Unfortunately there are some not-so-cool downsides that come with it.

ATSC 3.0 also provides the technology broadcasters need to sell targeted advertising based on your viewing habits, just like Google and Facebook do based on which websites you visit.

And it’s also not backwards-compatible with the tuners inside your current TV and/or Over-the-Air TV gear, so if you want to be able to take advantage of the improvements you’ll need to invest in new TVs, DVRs, or converter boxes.
then i should put my DB8 on kijiji and let go now
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Feb 10, 2007
538 posts
37 upvotes
Oakville
kiasu wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 6:25 pm
then i should put my DB8 on kijiji and let go now
Don't worry as there's not even any TV's or ATSC STB's which support ATSC 3.0 out in the market right now so the current ATSC standard will keep working for years to come. And even once stations start broadcasting in ATSC 3.0 format, they are mandated to continue broadcasting their existing ATSC signal for a minimum of 5 years so basically, it will take at least 8 or more years from now before stations start broadcasting exclusively in ATSC 3.0 format. At this time, your TV will probably be due for an upgrade anyways and for any remaining TV's i'm sure there will be low cost ATSC 3.0 STB tuners available in the market.
Back by popular demand, the RFD OTA and/or FTA HDTV group buy. Signup now!
Nov 5, 2009
97 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
I tried searching ... but this thread is so incredibly long, and there is a lot of conflicting information.

I want to get into OTA HD for my Plex setup.
I'm in Mississauga. I probably have about 30' AGL from my house and attic. Here is my TVFool report.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapp ... 2b0cdab0b5

I want to capture everything, and especially Fox if I can, because that seems to be the most distant network, and I keep up with a few of their new shows.

So I am thinking 2 antennas capturing 2 areas (CN Tower, and then towards the US) in my attic. But can I combine them and then run an amp from a single point? Or do I have to run 2 coaxial cables down with an amp for each? (which is actually possible with my dual tuner setup in plex)

What's the consensus on the best possible antenna that works in an attic? (If it's outdoors, I'm fine with those panel style ones, but don't want anything fugly on my house).
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
1342 posts
380 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
glaswegian wrote:
Jul 9th, 2007 12:43 pm
So I installed a tower and had a CM4228 antenna on it, along with a rotor and amp. No more cable bills :-)

Here are some of my results:

I remember rotors when I was a child. It seemed my parents would buy one, and we would get all excited, because suddenly we could get more than 1 channel. Then after a year or two, they stopped working. So I would never consider buying a rotor today, just due to that bad experience. An AMP has the same type of issue, and this I have tried several times as an adult. It works great at first (if you are lucky), but after a few years you find you are getting better signals by removing it...

That is pretty expensive equipment to replace over and over. I have four antennas in my attic, and two AMPS. I'm not using the AMPS, and I'm not using 3 of the antennas. Why? I found I got much better results connecting an HD Home Run to a single antenna, than I could get with any combination of antennas, with or without the AMPS.

Could I pickup more channels? Certainly. If I buy a second HDHomeRun, I can put it on one of the antennas pointing in a different direction. That would both give me more channels, and more tuners. That would mean I could be recording more channels at once.

But in truth, I find mostly I just have the tuners busy recording shows we don't actually watch...
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6757 posts
627 upvotes
Toronto
Any recommendations on a metal pipe than slides over an existing J-pole mount... Saw earlier in this thread someone mentioned a standard steel fence post?
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Sep 12, 2017
116 posts
18 upvotes
LaSalle, Ontario
Antenna wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 12:18 am
DigiWave is what experts in the field refer to as 'Korean Crap'. They are made of sub-standard parts and workmanship using a 25 year old Channel Master design. They fall apart in a couple of Canadian Winters. Do yourself a favour and spend a little more and buy an antenna from Antennas Direct. C4-V is 1/4 the size of the DigiWave 8 bay with 10 miles more range, and a lifetime warranty.

The Antenna Guys
My "Korean crap" DIGIWAVE ANT2084 4BAY MULTIDRCTNL HDTV ANTENNA set me back $30 back in 2014. Its going strong in 2018 and I still get over 35 channels from Detroit and Windsor.

Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
22891 posts
2704 upvotes
Montreal
I should hope so. ATSC is carried by standard EM waves. Maxwell's equations haven't changed in the last 25 years. Any serviceable UHF design is fine.
Jan 23, 2015
882 posts
366 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
cwb27 wrote:
Feb 18th, 2018 11:00 pm
Any recommendations on a metal pipe than slides over an existing J-pole mount... Saw earlier in this thread someone mentioned a standard steel fence post?
I used a galvanized fence pipe, that slid into the j-pole mount. Worked out great!
Jan 4, 2004
389 posts
62 upvotes
Richmond
Am I out of luck? I've always had indoor antennas for the last ten years. But now I'm moving farther from the city (south surrey), and my place will be on the wrong side of the hill... Which I guess is why tv fool has this report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapp ... 889feca796

Am I simply out of luck if I want a attic mounted antenna? The hill is pretty steep and my house is probably half way down it. I really do not want an antenna outside my house... What do you guys recommend if it's still possible... Ideally I'd like CTV and cbc, but I will not have a line of sight to the north (up the hill). I have line of sigh to the south... But those American channels look far...
Mar 4, 2018
1 posts
Pretty new to this antenna OTA stuff, currently just have a stripped Coax picking up 6 to 8 channels north of GTA. Am looking for something more solid to use with my PLEX account and a HDhomerun. Any recommendations/ advice for antenna selection? i was looking at this https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01KUX ... 7PHY&psc=1
Thanks in advance!

Here is my TVFool Report.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapp ... b0ebef08dc