• Mar 1st, 2024 10:27 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2004
4145 posts
206 upvotes
Etobicoke
zoolander wrote: I will buy GTA to GNA, I live smack in the middle, Ancaster.
www-sensuz-com
www-partsforhdtv-com

Those two are more popular online retailers of OTA gear. I get my stuff from Canadian CM distributor, but I also bought from partsforhdtv guys before.
Ebay (701-0-0) - zhenya01
Heatware (28-0-0) - ViperZ
CanuckAudioMart (80-0-0) - zhenya01
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
3250 posts
61 upvotes
Mississauga
ViperZ wrote: American Federal Law requires that after February 17, 2009 all television broadcast stations will broadcast only in digital format. Canadian TV stations are also switching to digital broadcasting
Someone recently told me that after the switchover, the US broadcasters will be using lower transmitting power and that many of us in the GTA will be unable to get our Buffalo channels. Is there any truth to that? or is it just a line?
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
16012 posts
7474 upvotes
RFD
Wondering if anyone here has made a Single or Double Gray-Hoverman antenna? If so, how did it perform for you?

I'm thinking of trying to build one to see if better than the 4-bay homemade I have currently. I've heard these types of antenna have better gains and although it seems complicated to make, it also seems doable. The only thing I would have to find at Home Depot, etc are the rod elements I'll have to bend and use.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
16012 posts
7474 upvotes
RFD
Topher wrote: Someone recently told me that after the switchover, the US broadcasters will be using lower transmitting power and that many of us in the GTA will be unable to get our Buffalo channels. Is there any truth to that? or is it just a line?
I have no clue but I would think it was the other way around, shouldn't it bring up more bandwidth and thus these people can use more transmitting power?
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2004
4145 posts
206 upvotes
Etobicoke
Topher wrote: Someone recently told me that after the switchover, the US broadcasters will be using lower transmitting power and that many of us in the GTA will be unable to get our Buffalo channels. Is there any truth to that? or is it just a line?
All broadcasters will be using lower transmitting power, because digital broadcasts don't need as much power as analog ones. The covered area will still be the same (or greater - depending on what power level the channel will be allowed or will choose to use).
Thus, we in Toronto will be able to receive all digital Buffalo channels as we are doing right now (since most of them already switched to digital).
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2004
4145 posts
206 upvotes
Etobicoke
radeonboy wrote: Wondering if anyone here has made a Single or Double Gray-Hoverman antenna? If so, how did it perform for you?

I'm thinking of trying to build one to see if better than the 4-bay homemade I have currently. I've heard these types of antenna have better gains and although it seems complicated to make, it also seems doable. The only thing I would have to find at Home Depot, etc are the rod elements I'll have to bend and use.
Personally, I don't think it's worth building a DIY antenna. I think it's worth spending money on a pre-built 4-bay antenna rather than wasting your time on building a DIY one. Oh yeah, you'll save 20 bucks. Woohoo! 4-bay antenna is a 4-bay antenna. It may have some improvements, but those improvements will be marginal. Also, consider your own skill level as a limitation - will the DIY antenna survive outside?
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
3250 posts
61 upvotes
Mississauga
ViperZ wrote: All broadcasters will be using lower transmitting power, because digital broadcasts don't need as much power as analog ones. The covered area will still be the same (or greater - depending on what power level the channel will be allowed or will choose to use).
Thus, we in Toronto will be able to receive all digital Buffalo channels as we are doing right now (since most of them already switched to digital).
That's what I thought, but this isn't my field. I certainly do trust your opinion, though. Thanks.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
16012 posts
7474 upvotes
RFD
ViperZ wrote: Personally, I don't think it's worth building a DIY antenna. I think it's worth spending money on a pre-built 4-bay antenna rather than wasting your time on building a DIY one. Oh yeah, you'll save 20 bucks. Woohoo! 4-bay antenna is a 4-bay antenna. It may have some improvements, but those improvements will be marginal. Also, consider your own skill level as a limitation - will the DIY antenna survive outside?
True but this one looks professional and looks like it can last

[IMG]http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/1371/z0106936oz5.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2004
4145 posts
206 upvotes
Etobicoke
radeonboy wrote: True but this one looks professional and looks like it can last
Definitely looks great and professional. The question is: what did the owner/builder achieve with this antenna? Quality of workmanship is great, but I just don't get the idea behind building your own antenna. Surely, you will save around 40 bucks by building your own antenna, but it will take you a few hours. A few hours of my time are definitely worth much more than even a retail price of the 8-bay antenna. Regarding performance improvement - whatever the claim is, it is marginal. I have seen this bowtie design in many places in Europe too.
Jan 16, 2006
152 posts
3 upvotes
Clearly OTA is great because of costs etc....but what if i have kids who watch YTV, Treehouse, and Teletoon all the time? If I watch TSN, Sportsnet, and The Score, OTA doesn't really help me does it?
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
16012 posts
7474 upvotes
RFD
b233314 wrote: Clearly OTA is great because of costs etc....but what if i have kids who watch YTV, Treehouse, and Teletoon all the time? If I watch TSN, Sportsnet, and The Score, OTA doesn't really help me does it?

Kids can watch TVO.

You can watch CBC, possibly FOX and NBC.

You save money in return for losing specialty channels. You probably don't watch TV 24 hours straight right? So having those channels is basically a waste...
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2004
4145 posts
206 upvotes
Etobicoke
radeonboy wrote: Kids can watch TVO.

You can watch CBC, possibly FOX and NBC.

You save money in return for losing specialty channels. You probably don't watch TV 24 hours straight right? So having those channels is basically a waste...
Don't forget ThinkBright kids' channel (17-3).

Regarding specialty channel like TSN, TheScore and others - that's obviously your choice - whether you want to pay and got those channels or not.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2008
6858 posts
220 upvotes
Ontario
ViperZ wrote: www-sensuz-com
www-partsforhdtv-com

Those two are more popular online retailers of OTA gear. I get my stuff from Canadian CM distributor, but I also bought from partsforhdtv guys before.
Thanks VZ.
Has anyone noticed a pattern for sales, deals, or best time to buy?
Can't be any uglier than most of my neighbours and their 3-4 dishes each, lol.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
16012 posts
7474 upvotes
RFD
ViperZ wrote: Don't forget ThinkBright kids' channel (17-3).

Regarding specialty channel like TSN, TheScore and others - that's obviously your choice - whether you want to pay and got those channels or not.
I forgot about ThinkBright since I cannot get it, but if you do, I hear its a good kids channel :D

BTW: I just ordered some Quad Shielded RG6 cables from Monoprice -- my first ever order from them. Their prices are soo cheap, I've been missing out :o
Hopefully the quad shield rg6 will help over my current crappy dollar store cable. :D
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
3579 posts
2985 upvotes
Markham
I did a quick search on "Montreal" in here but didn't find the info I needed. Anyone know if a one-stop shop where you can purchase and have them do the installation?
Apr 5, 2005
548 posts
133 upvotes
Montreal
HDawg wrote: I did a quick search on "Montreal" in here but didn't find the info I needed. Anyone know if a one-stop shop where you can purchase and have them do the installation?

You might try searching this site's forums:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=81

They have some people posting Montreal results, and I recall seeing some stores mentioned.
Banned
Oct 20, 2008
230 posts
1 upvote
ViperZ wrote: Definitely looks great and professional. The question is: what did the owner/builder achieve with this antenna? Quality of workmanship is great, but I just don't get the idea behind building your own antenna. Surely, you will save around 40 bucks by building your own antenna, but it will take you a few hours. A few hours of my time are definitely worth much more than even a retail price of the 8-bay antenna. Regarding performance improvement - whatever the claim is, it is marginal. I have seen this bowtie design in many places in Europe too.
To some of us this is a hobby, sure we get to watch TV out of it but there is something to be said about building your own antenna! When I tell my friends that I built my own antenna and get digital/HD channels for free they NEVER believe me. Until I bring them in and turn on the TV :)
As for the performance improvement over an 8 bay... a SBGH (pictured above) will perform MUCH better especially out at distances over 60 miles (80-90km). I tried an 8 bay and got all the channels I get now, but with my home built SBGH I get them all near 100% signal strength vice 50-60%.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
16012 posts
7474 upvotes
RFD
rfd_lurker wrote: To some of us this is a hobby, sure we get to watch TV out of it but there is something to be said about building your own antenna! When I tell my friends that I built my own antenna and get digital/HD channels for free they NEVER believe me. Until I bring them in and turn on the TV :)
As for the performance improvement over an 8 bay... a SBGH (pictured above) will perform MUCH better especially out at distances over 60 miles (80-90km). I tried an 8 bay and got all the channels I get now, but with my home built SBGH I get them all near 100% signal strength vice 50-60%.
hey where are you located in Canada?
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
16012 posts
7474 upvotes
RFD
rfd_lurker wrote: on Vancouver Island - Parksville to be exact.
ah. I was curious because if you lived close by, I could have paid you to make one for me :lol: jk