None
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
4686 posts
24757 upvotes
Canada

[Merged] Hudson's Bay Company may be sold again

Lord & Taylor owner in talks for Hudson's Bay

The owner of Lord & Taylor has been in talks to take over Hudson's Bay Co., a move that could lead to the quintessentially American department store retailer setting up shop in Canada, sources said.

NRDC Equity Partners of Purchase, N.Y., which owns the 47-store U.S. chain, already has an interest of about 20 per cent in HBC, which runs the Bay, Zellers and Home Outfitters, sources said. Richard Baker, chief executive officer of NRDC, has been thinking of opening stores outside of the United States, he told a conference recently. Canada was one of the countries on his radar.

Link to story:
http://www.reportonbusiness.com/servlet ... _mostemail
40 replies
Dec 31, 1969
It's an American owned store right now anyway so bla bla...

Regardless, thanks for posting this news item OP.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1281 posts
39 upvotes
Langley
It should not make a difference since the owner of the Bay is already US based.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
4374 posts
210 upvotes
Sounds like the holding company will keep the bays around and enhance what's already there.

I forgot, but didn't an american company buy HBC a few years ago?

I'm glad HBC didn't get bought by K-Mart or Target, at least. I like the Bay, it has some usefullness for some higher end stuff.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7626 posts
161 upvotes
Montreal
Impossibles wrote: Sounds like the holding company will keep the bays around and enhance what's already there.

I forgot, but didn't an american company buy HBC a few years ago?

I'm glad HBC didn't get bought by K-Mart or Target, at least. I like the Bay, it has some usefullness for some higher end stuff.
yes, in 2006 by Jerry Zucker
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2007
2048 posts
2740 upvotes
Canada
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... TopStories

[quote]
Hudson's Bay Company sold to NRDC Equity

Updated Wed. Jul. 16 2008 2:53 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Hudson's Bay Co. has been sold to a U.S. equity group in a move that will bring the upscale Lord & Taylor retailer to Canada.

NRDC Equity Partners of New York bought HBC on Wednesday and says it will convert up to 15 of its key Bay stores to Lord & Taylor stores, which the equity company also owns.

"By acquiring Hudson's Bay Company along with previous acquisitions Lord & Taylor and Fortunoff , we will have an unprecedented opportunity to recreate the retail landscape in North America," Richard Baker, the new CEO of HBC said in a statement.

The purchase of HRDC brings together HBC's Bay, Zellers, Home Outfiteers with NRDC's Lord & Taylor group and the Fortunoff jewellery and home-d
Mar 19, 2005
882 posts
109 upvotes
I'm assuming we're still going to be paying much more than our neighbours down south huh? :(
Deal Fanatic
Jul 27, 2004
7557 posts
67 upvotes
Teletran wrote: This is a sad day in Canadian History :(
where were you in 2006 when this happened? this time its just one amerikan private equity group selling to another.
Back for a limited engagement.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2005
1376 posts
2 upvotes
Um, it's already been in American hands since 2006:

[QUOTE]The change in ownership follows the death of Jerry Zucker, the American who bought the iconic Canadian retailer HBC for $1.1 billion in 2006[/QUOTE]
"Happiness is a good martini, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman, or a bad woman, depending on how much happiness you can stand" - George Burns
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2003
1692 posts
22 upvotes
It became American when Jerry Zucker bought it a couple of years ago now i think.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2004
5791 posts
52 upvotes
@ OP - I think its spelt "Hudson's" --> not Hudons :)
rems wrote: yes...for those that say it doesn't are lying. There has to be some sort of physical attraction (unless you're visually impaired obviously). Looks get you there and personality keeps you there.
Apr 30, 2007
890 posts
2 upvotes
Calgary
The change in ownership follows the death of Jerry Zucker, the American who bought the iconic Canadian retailer HBC for $1.1 billion in 2006. NRDC was a minority partner in the Zucker purchase.

Isn't the above saying it was alrdy owned by an American?
My RFD Office Hours: 9AM - 5PM M-F

"Let's Hug it out B!tch" - Ari Gold :twisted: - Entourage!!
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24669 posts
8739 upvotes
Toronto
15-20_God wrote: where were you in 2006 when this happened? this time its just one amerikan private equity group selling to another.
UncleSteve wrote: Um, it's already been in American hands since 2006:
zoltorg wrote: ditto uncle steve.
CoffeeAddict wrote: It became American when Jerry Zucker bought it a couple of years ago now i think.
desi_eng wrote: The change in ownership follows the death of Jerry Zucker, the American who bought the iconic Canadian retailer HBC for $1.1 billion in 2006. NRDC was a minority partner in the Zucker purchase.
Isn't the above saying it was alrdy owned by an American?
wait...........when did the Hudon Bay become US? :lol:
7jai wrote: @ OP - I think its spelt "Hudson's" --> not Hudons :)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 27, 2004
7557 posts
67 upvotes
ji2o0k wrote:wait...........when did the Hudon Bay become US? :lol:
they changed the name in 2006, its the yankee spelling. like colour and color, grey and gray. hudon and hudson's.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2536 upvotes
Markham, ON
well it's less embarassing being corrected on the internet than your mom telling you it's been american since 2006 :cheesygri
Banned
Jun 21, 2005
4231 posts
5 upvotes
I thought you were talking about the body of water: Hudson's Bay.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 27, 2004
7557 posts
67 upvotes
i would've preferred ppl stand in from of the queen st store and start waving canadian flags.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2007
2849 posts
186 upvotes
Hudon Bay was sold?!?!?

After 2 years of ownership the previous owner died due to the stress caused by the company. Losing money over 10 years straight can do that to someone. I'm surprised they didn't give the company away in the end.