• Last Updated:
  • Jan 28th, 2009 3:22 pm
Tags:
None
18 replies
Dec 9, 2008
354 posts
44 upvotes
From my personal experience and overall look. Loblaws, typically in the GTA stores, have had this coming. Their stores are unsightly.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2007
1054 posts
92 upvotes
Ouch, Loblaws is supposed to be a higher end grocery store where people pay a little bit more for groceries in exchange for better selection, cleaner aisles, better service etc...

But infestation?!? Crazyyy
Officially joined the ranks of Deal addicts across the country - 12/12/07
Once you get the first taste of great deals you can't stop...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 13, 2005
7766 posts
165 upvotes
i hate to break it to RFD but actually all grocery stores have issues with rodents. i know because i use to service machines in grocery stores.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2006
4578 posts
3479 upvotes
:( would think they should be fined a much heftier fine for major infestations resulting in closing of stores

�I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it

Smile... It confuses people�
Deal Fanatic
Sep 3, 2006
5546 posts
3066 upvotes
Winnipeg
My manager, when I worked at Zellers many years ago, used to tell me that Tide (or laundry detergent) was the companies favorite loss-leader becasue it was a rat deterrent. They always kept pallets of it near the loading doors.

I wonder what ever happened to him... :rolleyes:

Anyways, all stores have rodent problems, just look at the amount of stores that get shut down all the time.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18019 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
This is an interesting article I just heard on the local news:

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/ ... ntoNewHome

Loblaws store closed over rodent infestation

Updated: Tue Jan. 27 2009 5:32:13 PM

ctvtoronto.ca

Toronto Public Health has shut down the Loblaws store on Dupont Street near Christie Street after mice were spotted inside.

The department issued the order at about 10 p.m. Monday night.

Inspectors went to the scene after a customer complained about seeing a mouse.

"They observed live mice in the store as they carried out the inspection," the department's Jim Chan told reporters on Tuesday, adding, "It's hard to count the number of them because they're all running around."

Inspectors found rodent droppings and possible urine on food counters, he said.

The store has numerous types of ready-to-eat foods, including a deli counter and hot foods such as barbecued chicken, he said.

"Food being prepared in such an unsanitary condition (will) increase the risk of cross-contamination of food," he said.

Some other problems noted in the inspection report include:

* inadequate food temperature control
* improper storage and removal of waste
* inadequate pest control
* inadequate handwashing by staff
* failure to produce valid food-handler certificates

Chan said many of those were related to the rodent infestation itself. "Infestation and sanitation go hand-in-hand," he said.

Loblaws staff have reportedly worked overnight to clean up the problems.

Chan said inspectors will carry out a follow-up inspection late this afternoon to see if "all the health hazards they identified yesterday have been eliminated. The store will not be allowed to re-open until all health hazard items have been eliminated."

Pest infestations can develop quite quickly, possibly as few as two weeks, he said.

Inspections of large food stores generally take place three times per year, Chan said.

Customers worried about the safety of food products they purchased from the store should know the risk of contamination is low for prepackaged foods. "However, look for damage on the package. If there's any damage on the package, it means the rodent might have gotten inside the package," he said.

Such products should be returned to the store, he said.

Consumers shouldn't eat foods such as chicken or deli meats and cheeses, Chan said.
Oct 16, 2008
576 posts
16 upvotes
This isn't news for Loblaws / RCSS. I was at the RCSS near my place and noticed two mice scurry across the floor right in front of me. Another guy and myself saw it and then looked at each other in disbelief.

Also recently I saw a bag of rice with a hole near the bottom and lots of rice all over the floor. Upon closer inspection, I saw several mice droppings near the pallets of rice where they stack them.
I used to be me!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5785 posts
810 upvotes
CBC also says the store has an excellent record for food safety so hopefully it's just a one time thing. Sometimes the media just blows it out of proportion (the negative). But yes it's probably something that exists in many food stores.

[QUOTE]Infestation closes west-end Toronto Loblaws store
Last Updated: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 | 2:11 PM ET Comments12Recommend40.
CBC News
"A heavy rodent infestation" has closed down a Toronto Loblaws store.

The store, located at 650 Dupont Street at the corner of Christie Street, in the city's west end, was shut down by Toronto board of health at 10 p.m. on Monday night after an inspector discovered "clear evidence of a heavy rodent infestation within the store and outside, and a lack of adequate pest control."

Inspectors were called to the store after a customer reported seeing a mouse inside the store.

According to a release from Toronto Public Health a red "Closed" sign was posted and the store was directed to begin a cleanup.

Loblaws staff worked overnight and inspectors say "if all violations have been corrected, the store can reopen."

The city's health department says the risk of becoming ill is very low. But "if packages [purchased at the store] appear damaged, or if unpackaged food looks like it has come into contact with rodents, " it should not be eaten.

The store has been inspected numerous times, most recently in September 2008. At that time it was given a green "Pass" notice.

"No food safety violations were noted at that time," said TPH.

"The store has had an excellent record of food safety and the last 10 inspections have been in compliance," the agency said in its news release.

[/QUOTE]

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2009/0 ... losed.html
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2005
8018 posts
1780 upvotes
Toronto
wow i wouldnt hav expect to see that at loblaws of all places
Jan 22, 2003
381 posts
19 upvotes
Rodent infestation forces closure of Loblaws at Dupont and Christie

680News staff | Tuesday, January 27th, 2009 5:01 pm
A vermin infestation has forced the closure of a Toronto grocery store.
The Loblaws at Dupont and Christie has been closed since 10 p.m. Monday night.
Inspectors did a search of the store after a customer reported seeing a mouse. That's when droppings from both mice and rats were found scattered all over the place, including on shelves and in the bakery area.
Other violations were also discovered such as failure to properly wash surfaces.
Health officials says the risk of falling ill from this situation is very low - but they are advising to throw out any packages that look damaged.
Right now clean-up is underway and once all violations are corrected the store will reopen.

Source: http://680news.com/news/headlines/more. ... 0058_52508
Deal Addict
May 10, 2001
1440 posts
327 upvotes
Having had friends who worked in three different grocery stores while in our teens, mice/rats and birds are found in virtually all stores.

I remember them bringing in BB guns for afterhours work to shoot the birds and the owner would pay them a bounty for each bird turned in.
Let them know that it is I, Aziz Hamid!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
8443 posts
2349 upvotes
Toronto
I guess I'll have to change all my grocery shopping to Chinatown instead of Loblaws now.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 13, 2005
7766 posts
165 upvotes
appleb wrote: I guess I'll have to change all my grocery shopping to Chinatown instead of Loblaws now.
I don't want to sound racist but most ethnic grocery stores are 100 times worse then any major chain. I can tell you stories about the some of the stores in Toronto that would make you puke.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
8443 posts
2349 upvotes
Toronto
I meant that as a joke. Do you guys really think I was serious about Chinatown being cleaner than Loblaws?
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
13165 posts
3738 upvotes
Mississauga
appleb wrote: I meant that as a joke. Do you guys really think I was serious about Chinatown being cleaner than Loblaws?
Sarcasm is virtually impossible to detect on the internet without adding something obvious to your post like an emoticon.
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2004
1762 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
nano wrote: I don't want to sound racist but most ethnic grocery stores are 100 times worse then any major chain. I can tell you stories about the some of the stores in Toronto that would make you puke.
Why do you think the Chinese supermarkets pass the safety inspections and Jim Chan of Toronto Public Health is so rich? :lol:
Paulfistinyourface wrote:This is RFD. High moral values are way down the ladder of acceptability around here. It's all about stepping on your grandmothers throat to save a buck.
Heatware

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)