• Last Updated:
  • Sep 5th, 2007 3:15 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 12, 2001
823 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
[QUOTE]"That's exactly, like, what I don't want," Hotz said. "I don't want people making money off this.''[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]On Thursday, he put the unlocked iPhone up for sale on eBay, where the high bid was above $2,000 midday Friday. The model, with 4 gigabytes of memory, sells for $499 new.[/QUOTE]

:rolleyes:
For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.
Jun 15, 2005
971 posts
133 upvotes
^^ he just wants himself making money off of it :p
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
1324 posts
80 upvotes
Umm let me throw a conspiracy theory out there.

Do you think Apple purpose sent an unlock code out there to maybe raise sales? They already gain big money from AT&T, but now with the unlock, their sales will also skyrocket. Its a win win situation for them.
Deal Guru
Jul 16, 2003
10097 posts
388 upvotes
Toronto
Mystix wrote:
Aug 25th, 2007 1:14 pm

Do you think Apple purpose sent an unlock code out there to maybe raise sales? They already gain big money from AT&T, but now with the unlock, their sales will also skyrocket. Its a win win situation for them.
with enough interest and resources any phone can be unlocked... apple is trying to work out a deal with vodaphone in europe it's not in their best interest to sabotage their own product when they're in negotiations for long term contracts...

having said that they knew the phone would eventuallybe unlocked it's also why the probably choose GSM in the first place... makes it easier for them to sell unlocked phones in the future...
Follow me on instagram to see Toronto https://instagram.com/kennyk3n/
Banned
Dec 24, 2004
10708 posts
151 upvotes
Mystix wrote:
Aug 25th, 2007 1:14 pm

male cow pies ^_^
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
19008 posts
455 upvotes
Shanghai, China
mushroomcheese wrote:
Aug 25th, 2007 3:46 pm
so if we have an existing plan with Rogers, we can just put the SIM card in the iPhone and it would be fully functional?
Yes, but that's assuming you have an unlocked iphone. Otherwise it won't work.
Aug 25, 2007
99 posts
1 upvote
This sounds exciting.
I'm considering buying a refurb from apple.
Anyone has done so already?
Mar 12, 2005
987 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Kommander_KornFlakes wrote:
Aug 24th, 2007 5:58 pm
Bwahahahaha I laugh in the face of Apple :D Thank God for hackers.
apple laughs right back in your face..
they still sell iPhones (probably more than they would have anyways)
it's AT&T that's taking the hit on this.
Winner of an XBox 360... Wednesday October 26th

On December 24th 2005, Trolldealhunter wrote "i dont want to see this year going to waste, last year the Tsunami made me miss the deals" ... talk about perspective when it comes to Boxing Day deals...
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2007
2029 posts
482 upvotes
z_squared wrote:
Aug 27th, 2007 5:15 pm
apple laughs right back in your face..
they still sell an iPhone.
it's AT&T that's taking the hit on this.
True. If anything, Apple was hoping for this. They're selling even more phones now.
Mar 12, 2005
987 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
anyone know if the iPhone has good functionality as a PDA?

ie. could i replace my Palm/Pocket PC device with this?
Winner of an XBox 360... Wednesday October 26th

On December 24th 2005, Trolldealhunter wrote "i dont want to see this year going to waste, last year the Tsunami made me miss the deals" ... talk about perspective when it comes to Boxing Day deals...
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1233 upvotes
Sauga
meocanada wrote:
Aug 26th, 2007 1:57 pm
This sounds exciting.
I'm considering buying a refurb from apple.
Anyone has done so already?
Mine should be arriving some time this week, via a friend in the US who is forwarding it.

Personally, I'm in no hurry to unlock it and I'm sure there will be more stable software unlock methods later on. As long as I can get the WiFi on it working for now, I'll be happy.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
4276 posts
67 upvotes
illusion81 wrote:
Aug 25th, 2007 10:58 am
:rolleyes:
He's mis-quoted there. He said he made the hack public (in youtube) because he didn't want people making money off selling the info on how to hack it. He didn't care if people made money selling hacked iPhones, since it does require a lot of work and skill.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
19008 posts
455 upvotes
Shanghai, China
z_squared wrote:
Aug 27th, 2007 5:21 pm
anyone know if the iPhone has good functionality as a PDA?

ie. could i replace my Palm/Pocket PC device with this?
The Iphone does have PDA features, but it definitely cannot compete with the Blackberry, Symbian, or Windows Mobile OS if you're looking for MS Exchange support.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2003
6266 posts
1060 upvotes
Rehan wrote:
Aug 27th, 2007 5:27 pm
Mine should be arriving some time this week, via a friend in the US who is forwarding it.

Personally, I'm in no hurry to unlock it and I'm sure there will be more stable software unlock methods later on. As long as I can get the WiFi on it working for now, I'll be happy.
I was under the impression that the only thing you could do with an unactivated (and locked) iPhone was to turn it on. I think you have to activate it on AT&T to get at any of the other features.
------He who dares, Rodders, he who dares------

Heatware Feedback eBay Feedback
X360 Live Gamertag: Frenzied360