Beauty & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2016 2:32 pm

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 134. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

47%
No

16%
Pizza is yummy

37%
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2003
2799 posts
6 upvotes

[Merged] laser eye surgery

just watched my friends surgery on dvd (they give you one when u get it done). Its amazing how they do it.... anyone had it done? or watced one?

To think that damn it costs 35xx.xx for < 4 minutes of work. Im in the wrong field!
2058 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2005
4698 posts
550 upvotes
It looks easy, but you forgot about the cost of the excimer laser. And the cost of the fancy facilities, the wavefront mapping system, etc. All that stuff is expensive. I was told that B&L has a per-use charge for their laser.

I wonder what their typical utilization rate is... I'm pretty sure the facility isn't running at 100% capacity.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2004
5791 posts
46 upvotes
i'm still sketchy over the laser eye thing. we still don't know the long term effects in full yet.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2003
1291 posts
74 upvotes
Edmonton
fl4wless wrote:just watched my friends surgery on dvd (they give you one when u get it done). Its amazing how they do it.... anyone had it done? or watced one?

To think that damn it costs 35xx.xx for < 4 minutes of work. Im in the wrong field!
Where did you friend get his / hers done? I am thinking of getting it done this year.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2003
4668 posts
83 upvotes
Oakville
Considering all the pro sports players who've had it done. I think that the risk is really low. Hasn't hampered Tiger Woods a bit.
Deal Expert
Oct 15, 2002
18113 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
I'm pretty patient so I think i'll wait a few years, especially since the technology keeps on improving each year (is it true you can get better than 20/20 vision now?)
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2004
3789 posts
721 upvotes
Vancouver
I"m using contacts and this doesn't seem any more safe than lazer
putting this crap in my eyes every single day, dirts/germs probably do more damage in long run than laser....

I'm going to get laser done when I have enough money to burn :lol:
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2005
1399 posts
47 upvotes
Why don't you post it on the web? in avi/wmv format so we can all watch?
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
3329 posts
148 upvotes
Georgetown
I had it done... 5 years ago?

I'm very happy with the results - but I do have a small amount of halo effect at night. If they test you beforehand and tell you that you have large pupils and/or that you are at risk for night vision issues - I would not do it at this point in time Unless you pay for the more expensive, newer process (wavefront) that is less likely to cause night vision issues (and is actually used to correct people's vision who have bad night vision issues after normal laser surgery).

Oh yeah... and the SMELL is... well... knowing it's eyeball tissue burning that you are smelling is just a bit... strange...
Deal Guru
Mar 30, 2002
12415 posts
1 upvote
31 Spooner St. NIFOC
Tiberius wrote:I had it done... 5 years ago?

I'm very happy with the results - but I do have a small amount of halo effect at night. If they test you beforehand and tell you that you have large pupils and/or that you are at risk for night vision issues - I would not do it at this point in time Unless you pay for the more expensive, newer process (wavefront) that is less likely to cause night vision issues (and is actually used to correct people's vision who have bad night vision issues after normal laser surgery).
I never hard of this wavefront before...how's it different/better than lasik?
:hay:

[You got a dream, you gotta protect it. People can't do something themselves, they wanna tell you that you can't do it. You want something? Go get it. Period.]
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
3329 posts
148 upvotes
Georgetown
B40 wrote:I never hard of this wavefront before...how's it different/better than lasik?
I don't know a lot about it (the specifics) but it uses a different (newer) laser and I'm guessing they are either able to program the laser more specifically for your eyeball... or... the other possibility is the newer laser makes finer cuts (burns)?

If you really want to know... google it?
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
3564 posts
761 upvotes
Calgary
felix wrote:I'm pretty patient so I think i'll wait a few years, especially since the technology keeps on improving each year (is it true you can get better than 20/20 vision now?)
I had it done back in September. I am now 20/15 in both eyes.
Deal Expert
Oct 15, 2002
18113 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
Firebot wrote:I had it done back in September. I am now 20/15 in both eyes.
Wow, that's better than 20/20! So did you go for the new wavefront?
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2003
1291 posts
74 upvotes
Edmonton
B40 wrote:I never hard of this wavefront before...how's it different/better than lasik?
I decided a couple years ago for wavefront to be more mainstream.

Basically they take a 3 D contour map of your eye, and with a smaller laser, they customize the depth and shape each cut.

http://www.lasikmd.ca/en/lasik-md/zyopt ... front.html

This does cost more money, but the results looks more promiseing.

So far, the only deals i've seen is via the Royal Bank visa...

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... ost2533753
Nov 26, 2004
95 posts
6 upvotes

I had regular PRK back in '98 and my wife had PRK with wavefront in '04. Her night vision is perfect, where I have some slight halo'ing. You get used to it though so not too much to worry about.

Best $$$ I ever spent.
× < >