Health & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 18th, 2020 9:29 am

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 342. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

53%
No

15%
Pizza is yummy

32%
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2004
3801 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
misterooga wrote: This got me thinking... Less than two weeks but I figure I should stop wearing my contacts (soft toric) now. I'd heard 3 to 5 days from Bochner, but some forums say 1~3 weeks off contacts, minimum.

Ah well, can't help what I didn't do but hopefully two weeks is enough for my eyes to get back into shape.
Ah, so you're going with Bochner huh? What made you choose them?

I think the longer you can go without your contacts pre-op. The better. I haven't worn mine in about 6 months. All in anticipation of this surgery.
Proud supporter of Tour for Kids and Ride for Karen!

Come chat live with other RFD'ers on IRC! #redflagdeals on EFNet!

Peace!
Nov 2, 2013
20 posts
Unionville, ON
I am so glad to see your comment about Crystal Clear Vision in Toronto. I am considering having my PRK. Are you sure you had Lasik not PRK because your prescription is kind of high? I have about same and I was told that I am marginal for lasik. I will choose prk because that will save me more tissue for future use and i don't like to be marginal. Thanks a lot for your comments and sharing your own experience at CCV.
Oct 18, 2012
133 posts
3 upvotes
GTA
Oh Boy ! Lot of info. about eye surgery. I am also thinking of getting the eye surgery done and I went to lasik md and tlc- damn expensive here in toronto .... Does it cost really cheaper at Coal harbour in Vancouver ?

Any input or experience about anyone here in Toronto (who went for a consultation at Coal harbour after consulting lasik md, tlc or herzig eye institute) is really appreciated !
Nov 18, 2006
102 posts
windywalks wrote: Any input or experience about anyone here in Toronto (who went for a consultation at Coal harbour after consulting lasik md, tlc or herzig eye institute) is really appreciated !

I thought Coal Harbour was in Vancouver only...

Pro wrote: Ah, so you're going with Bochner huh? What made you choose them?

I think the longer you can go without your contacts pre-op. The better. I haven't worn mine in about 6 months. All in anticipation of this surgery.

6 months. I don't even think I was considering this surgery at the time. :) But yes, the more I read, I get a bit anxious that I didn't take off my contacts earlier....

I visited LasikMD and Hertzig and Bochner, as well as YELC, all in Toronto. (in the order I visited)

LasikMD recommend PRK. They were professional and they did inform me quiet a lot of things. Most of which I knew from research but the technicians were also upfront about things, which I appreciated. I did find the atmosphere to be somewhat of a 'revolving' door type though -- feed one patient and work on him and repeat. I did like the pricing and the fact that there are tons of them around. I think it's because 'life time warranty' can be added with few extra $. If I were to do it here, I'd definitely add that on... but that whole add-on concept really stood out. Just another necessary sales aspect, I suppose.

Hertzig recommended interlase, which I gave some thought and decided not to go with. There were two things that put me off though. First was that they asked if I'd like to be contacted by one of their former patients of interlase and hear what they think. Regrettably, that was the last I heard on that topic. They did confirm that it was a mistake a month or two later. I guess I can understand that...although it could have helped me in my decision making. Another aspect that, personally, turned me off was seeing cosmetic sales booth (small one) on the side. I think the room where I discussed Finance had posters of Botox commercials as well. All in all, while I understand same client base might also consider these cosmetics and cosmetic surgeries...it just didn't give me a good vibe.

Bochner recommended interlase and PRK...leaning more towards PRK. While I didn't get to see any doctor, I thought they informed me what I needed to know. As well, it was fairly quick and fast. (more on Bochner later)

YELC (TLC) booked me for an appointment. Or so I'd been told: there were few emails back and forth and they kept insisting I call to book an appointment so I did. Then my phone battery died so I called a bit later. I got through to the same agent and booked an appointment for the following week. I never got confirmation phone call or an email, but I figured it was okay. So I took a day off at work and drove up an hour in rain. When I got there, they informed me that they couldn't find my appointment, even though they were able to quote some of the discussion I had with the agent. I guess the agent didn't click 'submit'? What the receptionist did tell me was that, while normally they can book a quick one, that day the doctors informed them that they would be leaving early, and soon. (the weather was turning nasty as it had few times...though it wasn't that bad as it turned out). Do I suspect the doctors decided to cancel appointments that day so they can leave early? Hopefully not. I did book another appointment for the following week, but never got a confirmation call anyway. By now, I'd decided to go with Bochner so I didn't take another day off just to go there. Overall, I didn't enjoy falling through the cracks: my thought was, what if that happens AFTER the surgery?

As for Bochner, I did some research on the web and while I can't take everything at words value, I found one website that discussed 'doctors'... not necessarily the Bochner Institute itself. I forgot the link but I found it on a website dedicated to eye doctors. The elder Dr. Stein (who is now retired) didn't get great reviews on that website but his son, who is still practising at the clinic, got fairly good reviews for cataract surgeries. I think this sort of legitimized the reviews in my mind. As well, I'd had good things about the place overall.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2004
3801 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
Well. There ain't no turning back now! Looks like I'll be going with LasikMD in Mississauga. I'll be saving some money on the procedure thanks to dredd2099!

I'm booked in with Dr. Mounir Bashour for Mid-April.

Now it all comes down to PRK or LASIK. I think I'm going to go with PRK since I have a couple weeks off work for the initial recovery.

Peace!
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2004
3801 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
dredd2099 wrote: :cheesygri
awww, no clapping smiley, that would be awesome right now
Id imagine a short drive is less stress than flying over to vancouver for an operation that takes 10 minutes, less even
Yeah for sure! I hope that next year I'll be able to head over to BC to actual take in some of the sights.

As for the drive to and from surgery. I'll have to figure out how I'll be getting back home. I live downtown Toronto but my surgery is in Mississauga. Hopefully I can get a friend or family member to help out.

Peace!
Jan 27, 2013
31 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi Guys,

As promised I will post my reviews on the two clinics I went to: Coal Harbour Eye Center and King Lasik (used to be Clearly Lasik) (both in Vancouver).For those who are interested about these clinics.

My background:
White, female, early 20s. About -6 both eyes + slight astigmatism both eyes.

First I went to King Lasik:
Dr.King Experience: Over 75000 procedures,
Nice big office in Metrotower 1 on 10th floor, free parking, very nice friendly staff, lots of tests. Nice waiting area. Took about 1.5 hrs for whole consultation. Staff takes time to do your tests, does tests quite a few times to make sure of the results. They checked my prescription three times, twice by one doctor and once by another. In the end you get to talk to counsellor and ask all kinds of questions. They recommended PRK based on my dry eyes and high prescription (I was surprised because it seems the place is a bit lasik biased, judging by the brochure). My corneas are thicker than average. Didn't get to meet Dr. King. Price was $1099 per eye and $200 for drops. (so $2400) Lifetime guarantee. All post op appointments covered for a year. Surgery dates are Wednesdays only from 8 to 11 am. Traffic: saw other two people within the two hours that I was there. One girl was getting consultation and a guy had sunglasses and seemed to be happy with his post op appointment.

Then I went to Coal Harbour:
Dr. Kirzner Experience: Over 60000 procedures.
Huge office (2x bigger than King Lasik), 27th floor in Downtown Van, very very nice office. Don't know about parking because I took transit, however parking in Downtown Van is never free. Nice friendly staff, not as friendly as at King Lasik but still friendly. Lots of traffic, saw at least 7 other people within two hours (good sign). Lots of tests, I think two tests more than at King Lasik. One test was for wavefront, and they said I don't need it. The lady that did my tests kind of did them very fast, I don't know if its a good thing (she might be very good so the does them fast) or bad (lots of people waiting to do the same tests). My prescription was checked twice by the same doctor (again, it felt pretty fast). They told me that on my surgery day, my prescription will be re-checked 3 times by 3 different people. In the end you get to talk to a counselor as well. They recommended PRK also. Didn't get to meet Dr. Kirzner. Surgery days are Wednesdays and Thursdays, from about 9am to 2:45pm (the late appointment sounds nice, because you need to sleep after the surgery anyways). They have this tissue sparing technology which is $150 per eye and recommended for higher prescriptions. Price right now is $1590 both eyes, +$200 drops, + $300 tissue sparing. ($2100). Price WILL go up after June 2014. Appointments covered for 6 months, and if they tell you to come after that, its also covered for up to a year. Lifetime guarantee.

Both places numbed and dilated my eyes, bring sunglasses. Coal Harbour offered me these dark lenses to put into my glasses, and I'm glad because it was sunny outside and sooo bright!....Both places I could book surgery within a week, Coal Harbour wanted $300 deposit (non-refundable if you book surgery, but if you change dates surgery dates is OK). Both places offer lifetime guarantee (important) included in price. Both places post op appointments covered (important also).

Anyone knows about this tissue sparing technology? Its supposed to use 20% less of your tissue.
I like both places equally, but I feel like my tests were more thorough at King Lasik, also King Lasik is 30 min closer to my home, important for post-op check ups. Please let me know if I should visit other places and any comments and reviews on these two places will be appreciated.
Jan 27, 2013
31 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver
tallshipjoe wrote: I too am looking at places in Vancouver, have consultations set for Coal Harbour and Lasik MD.

List of places I know of in the area:
Lasik MD
Coal Harbour Eye Centre
Pacific Laser Eye Centre
BoydVison
King Vision
London Eye Centre
IRIS

Coal Harbour and Lasik MD seem to be the popular ones. Does anyone know about the others?

Try King Lasik in Metrotown area, I really liked that place... I am actually thinking of booking my surgery there, despite the $300 cheaper Coal Harbour. Mainly because its closer to home. I also heard Dr. King did Canucks players eyes, maybe thats why they play so bad (just kidding). But for some reason I have a really good feeling about King Lasik right now (I didn't get to meet Dr. King yet nor Dr. Kirzner from Coal Harbour).
Jan 27, 2013
31 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver
dredd2099 wrote: whoa, whats with the $200 drops? lol, thats all I kept thinking
danged good prices tho, it is definitely way cheaper in vancouver! we have to jump hoops here in the gta to get good prices
The drops are steroid drops, antibiotics, and the regular lubricating drops I believe. Oh another thing, Coal Harbour said that they would prescribe the anti-pain drops if needed, however King Lasik said they won't prescribe anti-pain drops because the pain helps the eye to heal (which I think is true, i took some biology courses). Both places said they will prescribe T3's (painkillers) if needed. This is for PRK (the painful longer healing process).
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
2908 posts
473 upvotes
Vancouver
szayts wrote: Anyone knows about this tissue sparing technology? Its supposed to use 20% less of your tissue.
I like both places equally, but I feel like my tests were more thorough at King Lasik, also King Lasik is 30 min closer to my home, important for post-op check ups. Please let me know if I should visit other places and any comments and reviews on these two places will be appreciated.
I had my PRK done @ coal harbour as well and they had recommended the tissue sparing technology for me. Most likely due to my higher prescription as well as larger than normal dilated pupil size. It's been 6 months since my surgery and I'm quite happy with the results. I tried looking up information online about the tissue sparing but couldn't find anything too definitive.

It's interesting you noted the 6 months of post-op follow up and additional 6 months if necessary. That's what happened in my case. I went for one last post op appointment 6 months after. The surface of my left eye wasn't as smooth as they had hoped so they said I should come back in another 6 months to check again.

If you have an extended medical plan, you can claim the prescription drops under that. At least you can get some money back for the drops. Although probably not all as the artificial tears would not be covered.

Have you checked out Pacfiic Laser Eye Centre? That's supposed to be the grand daddy of all the laser eye surgery clinics in town. The doctor is the most renowned. It'll cost you a pretty penny however, I think $4K NOT including post-op appointments.
Sep 23, 2007
4 posts
Pro wrote: It definitely would. It might be that make or break on whether I have the surgery or not. It would also help me avoid flying to Vancouver.

I couldn't make out that last photo. It was blurry.
Could anybody PM with a recent Quote to use? I've got an appointment in May with Lasik MD. Thanks in advance....