Health & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 9th, 2019 1:00 pm

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 318. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

53%
No

15%
Pizza is yummy

32%
Oct 24, 2013
357 posts
135 upvotes
I was quoted $4800 by TLC for custom PRK for everything including 1 yr post-op. I would need to go yearly for an eye exam to keep the lifetime guarantee intact. Folks in BC seem to have it pretty good in terms of pricing.
Sep 23, 2007
4 posts
I was just scrolling through some of the past posts, saw pictures of the Lasik in Mississauga i was at just at a few hour ago. They got some good cookies... Trying to figure out how to reduce my $4200 quote down to my budget of around 3500. Seems like a few people got close to discounts off custom lasik?
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2004
3801 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
I'm only 9 days away from surgery. I'm nervous and excited! I'm definitely more excited and I truly hope this surgery will help my life for the better. I'm most likely going to go with PRK even though both of my consultations stated I could do LASIK. I look forward to speaking to my actual surgeon and see what he says.
Proud supporter of Tour for Kids and Ride for Karen!

Come chat live with other RFD'ers on IRC! #redflagdeals on EFNet!

Peace!
Jan 27, 2013
31 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver
Pro wrote:
Apr 5th, 2014 12:45 am
I'm only 9 days away from surgery. I'm nervous and excited! I'm definitely more excited and I truly hope this surgery will help my life for the better. I'm most likely going to go with PRK even though both of my consultations stated I could do LASIK. I look forward to speaking to my actual surgeon and see what he says.
Good luck on your surgery! Let us know how it goes.

I booked mine (PRK) on May 7 with King Lasik in Vancouver.
Nov 18, 2006
102 posts
I'm in the same boat. Three days to go.

I was reading the form I'm expected to sign before the surgery. One thing that struck me is that sometimes best outcomes are not achieved because eyes move around too much during the procedure... Hmm... do I need to drink some herbal tea to calm me down before I head in? :razz:

By the way, I heard some folks say they took Omega3 supplements to help heal the eyes. Any one heard the same?

Good luck everyone.
Jan 3, 2008
844 posts
185 upvotes
W.GTA
Don't think about it too much, be calm during operation. Whatever you need to do to calm yourself down, do it. Protect your eyes post operation - wear sunglasses etc. Best $1000 decision I ever made. Good luck. :)
Aug 23, 2004
220 posts
34 upvotes
British Columbia
Ten days to go till PRK at Coal Harbour. I might have an important job interview 4 days after so hopefully I don't feel too bad...
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2010
3182 posts
1086 upvotes
Mississauga
misterooga wrote:
Apr 6th, 2014 9:58 pm
By the way, I heard some folks say they took Omega3 supplements to help heal the eyes. Any one heard the same?

Good luck everyone.
lasik md recommendeds it

PMs sent for the discount
Nov 22, 2013
1 posts
Winfield, BC
Hey Everyone, Ive been viewing this site for awhile, i figured its my turn to share some info.

Live in Kelowna BC, went to Vivid Laser or evaluation, great staff, felt fairly comfortable there. There wesite states there prices so i wasnt SHOCKEd when arriving, $2800 PRK, or $4200 Lasik (advanced Wavefront, Bladeless) These are there prices and they dont vary with prescription, they include your first appointment after, but not aditional ones. Prior to going in i felt $2800 was more then i hoped to pay, but justified the price, and made wanted to Do PRK if possible due to cost prior to going for evaluation, and really knowing the differrence. However when i was there i learned about the differences and healing time and decided i deffinaltly wanted Lasik as i was a candidate for both. But at $4200, i just hummed and Hawed. Thats when i decided to look into Vancouver, as i had knew others who paid far less, with excellent results

I researched Lasid MD and then called and got the run down on prices, as i Didnt want to travel to Van and then find out i saved nothing. I thought i would share this info with you. Keep in mind my numbers may be a little off as i was writing quickly. Quotes were specifically for the Vancouver location. Price variation dependant on prescription and individual eyes. Standard Lasik or PRK: $980-$1980 ($490-$990 per eye), Advanced custom Lasik (aka Wavefront): $1780- $3180 ($890-$1590 per eye) , and Bladeless Advanced custom Lasik: $3580 (max of $1790 per eye). (Surrey BC, location does not have bladeless if that is what you are wanting). So i figured it was worth the drive and if i could have Lasik done at the same cost as PRK in Kelowna it was well worth it for me. I decided i didnt care whether it was bladless or not but i didn't want the long healing time with PRK, unless it was my only option. So i booked my Evaluation appointment for April 11, and they secured me a spot for surgery on the 12th, with folowup on 13. Booked my hotel, and was good to go. My only real question i still have that i forgot to ask, was why they only require you to not wear your glasses for 48 hours as others require a week to 2 weeks, without contacts. After reading why others sugest the longer tiem i chose to wear my glasses for the Full 2 weeks as recomended by Vivid, as i want the best results possibe.

In My Research i did find Coal Harbor Vancouver and yes i was increadably tempted to jump boats, i liked that there price was posted and it doesnt waver. I however didnt like how strongly they suggest PRK, i understand that it may be better for some, but since i was able to have Lasik and the healing time worked woith my schedule better, i am realy hoping i wil still be able to do Lasik. Interestingly i did find out that Coal harbor has a clinic in Kelowna which he visits once a month, to see patients for followup and consoltations, This made for a huge advantage and if i had known sooner i probalbly would have booked with them. But my appointment is for this weekend and all is ready to go. I did however call LasikMD Vancouver office to have them confirm that they will indeed honor the price at CH. Crurently price is $1590 + $300 Wavefront (which i need and want) + $200 Med kit. So Lasik will honor the price at $2090 if needed, which i think is hounorable.

So i leave Tomorrow for Van, and yes i will post a update, when i can see :) WOW I am sooo Exited. Just the thought of seeing without Glasses or contacts, for the first time in 29 years, it brings me tears of joy.
Nov 2, 2013
20 posts
Unionville, ON
Pro wrote:
Apr 5th, 2014 12:45 am
Hi Pro,
U r doing ur PRK in just few days? Where r u doing it? I'm thinking about doing mine at CCV. But I have not confirmed yet because I am not sure if I will get any job offer before than. I would like to stay home for 3 weeks. Not sure if that is enough for PRK. My job requires computure work whole day. How long r u taking off from ur work?
Jan 2, 2005
67 posts
2 upvotes
Any opinions on Coal Harbour vs King Lasik?

Thnx!
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2004
3801 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
iengrfd wrote:
Apr 8th, 2014 10:37 pm
Hi Pro,
U r doing ur PRK in just few days? Where r u doing it? I'm thinking about doing mine at CCV. But I have not confirmed yet because I am not sure if I will get any job offer before than. I would like to stay home for 3 weeks. Not sure if that is enough for PRK. My job requires computure work whole day. How long r u taking off from ur work?
I'll be doing my surgery at LasikMD in Mississauga. My surgery is booked for this monday. I'm doing it during my two week vacation. I have come to terms with the fact that two weeks probably won't be enough time for recovery. If I end up healing quick enough I'll be able to avoid going on modified duties at work. I'm on the roads for a minimum of eight hours a day driving in various conditions and I won't chance it while I'm in recovery mode. I'll take as long as I need off work to be sure I'm 100% again.

You may be okay with three weeks. It really depends on how well you heal up. Some people have posted that fish oil (omega3) pills and vitamin C are supposed to help in reducing your recovery time. I'll be picking up some of that stuff up this weekend.

EDIT: Both of the pre-op doctors said I could do Lasik but I'm thinking I'll do PRK. My corneas are at 515 microns and I think that's borderline for Lasik. My family also has a history of Glaucoma. I think PRK is a better option for me. When I see the surgeon himself on Monday I'll be sure to ask him which method he thinks would be better for me, but I'm still thinking I'll do PRK unless he can convince me otherwise.
Proud supporter of Tour for Kids and Ride for Karen!

Come chat live with other RFD'ers on IRC! #redflagdeals on EFNet!

Peace!
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
1171 posts
79 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
Pro wrote:
Apr 9th, 2014 5:40 pm
I'll be doing my surgery at LasikMD in Mississauga. My surgery is booked for this monday. I'm doing it during my two week vacation. I have come to terms with the fact that two weeks probably won't be enough time for recovery. If I end up healing quick enough I'll be able to avoid going on modified duties at work. I'm on the roads for a minimum of eight hours a day driving in various conditions and I won't chance it while I'm in recovery mode. I'll take as long as I need off work to be sure I'm 100% again.

You may be okay with three weeks. It really depends on how well you heal up. Some people have posted that fish oil (omega3) pills and vitamin C are supposed to help in reducing your recovery time. I'll be picking up some of that stuff up this weekend.

EDIT: Both of the pre-op doctors said I could do Lasik but I'm thinking I'll do PRK. My corneas are at 515 microns and I think that's borderline for Lasik. My family also has a history of Glaucoma. I think PRK is a better option for me. When I see the surgeon himself on Monday I'll be sure to ask him which method he thinks would be better for me, but I'm still thinking I'll do PRK unless he can convince me otherwise.
Glaucoma shouldn't be a factor :)
Mar 17, 2009
198 posts
139 upvotes
Did my consultations. Costs: Coal Harbour were as their website says $1590 (+$200 for meds +$300 for Wavefront).
Lasik MD gave 3 options Advanced custom wavefront Lasik $3580, Advanced custom wavefront Keratome $3180 which they offered to price match coal harbour at $2090, Standard lasik with Keratome $1580.
Between the two I found myself more comfortable at Coal Harbour despite them not having free chocolate cookies. Lasik MD seems to charge based on prescription, for reference mine is -1.25 -1.75.
Nov 2, 2013
20 posts
Unionville, ON
I finally booked my PRK for next thursday at Crystal Clear Vision. I am very nervous and hope I will have good results. Just wonder any body else had PRK at CCV. I would like to know more about the recovery.