Health & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 18th, 2020 9:29 am

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 342. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

53%
No

15%
Pizza is yummy

32%
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2004
3801 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
iengrfd wrote: I finally booked my PRK for next thursday at Crystal Clear Vision. I am very nervous and hope I will have good results. Just wonder any body else had PRK at CCV. I would like to know more about the recovery.
I've never heard of CCV until a few pages back. As long as they have good doctors/surgeons I think you'll be fine.

As for recovery. Like I said before, everyone is different. If you have a lower prescription you may heal up sooner.

What made you choose PRK?
Proud supporter of Tour for Kids and Ride for Karen!

Come chat live with other RFD'ers on IRC! #redflagdeals on EFNet!

Peace!
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4892 posts
644 upvotes
Toronto
Just randomly saw this thread and thought I would throw in a comment.

Had wavefront lasik about 4 years ago at lasikMD. My prescription was quite strong... about -6.5 in both eyes.

It's weird because I've almost genuinely forgotten I haven't always had perfect eyes. I can't even imagine what life would be like with glasses/contacts even though I wore them myself for 15+ years. Just had my vision checked the other day and still at 20/20 in both eyes - best 4k I ever spent in my life, hands down.
Nov 2, 2013
20 posts
Unionville, ON
I choose PRK because my high prescription around -7 and my cornea is kind of thin. Also I am very scared of the flap in Lasik and saw a lot of complaint about lasik in internet. I tried to search complain about PRK and did not find any. I rather to have longer recovery and then no worries later.
I heard about CCV from my optometrist that CCV has the new laser machine. The one used at CCV is the latest which are approved in Canada and has been used in other countries for about 3 years. The people at initial consultation are willing to answer questions and most of them have been through some kind of eye surgery themselves. They should understand what patients need better. Only thing is that they do more Lasik and relatively less PRK. I would like to find someone who did prk at ccv to share the recovery experience.
I just bought myself a bunch of supplies yesterday: omega-3, vitamin C and will be taking centrum muti vitamin to help recover faster.
I am more nervous than having a c-session.
Oct 18, 2012
133 posts
3 upvotes
GTA
Please PM me the discounts for Lasik MD - I really want to cut my cost down for eye surgery.Or let me know where can I find some sort of coupons.

Thanks in advance !
Jan 27, 2013
31 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver
misterooga wrote: This got me thinking... Less than two weeks but I figure I should stop wearing my contacts (soft toric) now. I'd heard 3 to 5 days from Bochner, but some forums say 1~3 weeks off contacts, minimum.

Ah well, can't help what I didn't do but hopefully two weeks is enough for my eyes to get back into shape.
I am wearing my glasses for about a month now, after wearing contacts for 6 years, and wow what a difference, my eyes are more "relaxed" and less irritated, I have very sensitive eyes. I think the more time you have between contacts and surgery the better. If your prescription is high, you have to get glasses anyway for the two weeks, so why not wear them for a bit longer.
Jan 27, 2013
31 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver
tr4ck wrote: Any opinions on Coal Harbour vs King Lasik?

Thnx!
Hey, read my post on April 3. I have full description there. I liked both equally, both recommended PRK for me because of my high prescription and dry eyes, money isn't an issue for me (King Lasik is $300 more, so what) I will pay the whole thing myself by the way. Coal harbour is $2090 (includes tissue sparing) and King Lasik is $2400. These include the $200 for drops (both places same price for drops). I chose King Lasik and my surgery is on May 7. Chose primarily because its closer to home for post op appointments.
Advantages and disadvantages (for me):
Coal Harbour:
-is $300 cheaper
-seems to have more patients
-seemed to go through people like lab rats (imho, my tests were done a bit too quick)
-offered me these free dark clip ons for glasses when I left consultation because it was bright (nice touch)
-has very nice big office
-is PRK biased (its a good or bad thing. i personally don't like the flap thing anyway even if I could do Lasik)
-downtown Van location
-had 2 more tests than King Lasik

King Lasik:
-seemed like a more relaxed place
-seems to be around longer, it used to be called Clearly Lasik (please correct me if im wrong)
-Dr.King has done more surgeries than Dr.Kirzner
-staff actually took time doing my tests (this is very important to me)
-my vision was checked more times than at Coal Harbour
-its closer to home for me, Metrotown location
-i feel this is Lasik biased judging by brochure, but they recommended me PRK, which really makes me think this place is honest
-you actually get a brochure here, compared to Coal Harbour's 4 handouts
-this place just felt more thourough. Less waiting time and more "hands on"
Jan 30, 2007
78 posts
Toronto
windywalks wrote: Please PM me the discounts for Lasik MD - I really want to cut my cost down for eye surgery.Or let me know where can I find some sort of coupons. !
Same. :)
Nov 2, 2013
20 posts
Unionville, ON
I can't believe it is so cheap in Van. In Toronto, prk and lasik are same price and it is about same price for all places in Toronto, about $5000 + for both eyes. So for me, I only care about which doctor is more experience and which place has better equipment. Prices are almost the same regardless.
Oct 18, 2012
133 posts
3 upvotes
GTA
Anyone or any reference is appreciated !
windywalks wrote: Please PM me the discounts for Lasik MD - I really want to cut my cost down for eye surgery.Or let me know where can I find some sort of coupons.

Thanks in advance !
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2004
3801 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
iengrfd wrote: I can't believe it is so cheap in Van. In Toronto, prk and lasik are same price and it is about same price for all places in Toronto, about $5000 + for both eyes. So for me, I only care about which doctor is more experience and which place has better equipment. Prices are almost the same regardless.
It's pretty crazy the price difference. If you can work it out logistically it could really end up being much more affordable.

This is just my opinion... I honestly think majority, if not all the lasik machines are roughly the same. I think it does come down to the surgeon, as you stated. But even that only goes so far. The machines do a lot of the work. I'd be more concerned on surgeon experience especially when it comes to PRK.

Peace!
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2004
3801 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
dredd2099 wrote: someones surgery is tomorrow! :)
Lmao. How did I miss this post? I'm in the clinic right now. Ugh. Still debating between Lasik and PRK. I'm going to ask the surgeon.

Peace!
Jan 27, 2013
31 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver
Pro wrote: Lmao. How did I miss this post? I'm in the clinic right now. Ugh. Still debating between Lasik and PRK. I'm going to ask the surgeon.
Good luck!
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2004
3801 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
szayts wrote: Good luck!
Thanks! Spoke with surgeon. He recommends LASIK 100%.

I'm getting my cookie monster on here! The chocolate chip cookies are awesome!

Peace!
Nov 2, 2013
20 posts
Unionville, ON
I have booked for PRK this Thursday at CCV. But we are having some schedule problems here. My own doctor will not work on Friday (Good Friday) so he won't see me for my day 1 post op. But I have not received any confirmation that CCV doctor will do day 1 check for me on Friday. Im not sure if I will eventually get my PRK done this week.... I hope everything will go smoother than this.