Health & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 9th, 2019 1:00 pm

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 318. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

53%
No

15%
Pizza is yummy

32%
Nov 2, 2013
20 posts
Unionville, ON
It is Day 14 now. My vision has been getting worse both distant and near since Day 8. I have to shift my reader from +1.0 to +1.5 and there is more shadow on my left eye too.
So basically, my vision was good 20/25 on Day 8, and gets worse every day after that. My doctor told me to expect fluctuation. I thought fluctuation means sometimes good and sometimes bad, but what I am getting is only getting worse in the past week. I feel my overcorrection is getting more everyday. BTW, I am taking steroid drops: Lotemax 0.5% 4 times a day according to the medication plan.
Just want to know if this is still normal? Should I reduce or stop the Lotemax drop? I mentioned to my doctor on Day 10 and she told me to stick with the regiment.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
1171 posts
79 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
iengrfd wrote:
May 1st, 2014 12:16 pm
It is Day 14 now. My vision has been getting worse both distant and near since Day 8. I have to shift my reader from +1.0 to +1.5 and there is more shadow on my left eye too.
So basically, my vision was good 20/25 on Day 8, and gets worse every day after that. My doctor told me to expect fluctuation. I thought fluctuation means sometimes good and sometimes bad, but what I am getting is only getting worse in the past week. I feel my overcorrection is getting more everyday. BTW, I am taking steroid drops: Lotemax 0.5% 4 times a day according to the medication plan.
Just want to know if this is still normal? Should I reduce or stop the Lotemax drop? I mentioned to my doctor on Day 10 and she told me to stick with the regiment.
Did you really just ask the great rfd m.d's if you should change your drug regiment?
Very trusting of you I guess.
Nov 2, 2013
20 posts
Unionville, ON
Yes, just had a checkup with my optometrist. He told me to stick with the steroid drops per plan. I will see him again next week. These are additional checks to the standard schedules.
He says farsightness for the first month should be most serious and could be up to +1.75 or even +2.0 for extreme cases. It should get better after 1 month. So we will see again next week. I hope I will have some improvement by then, even slight improvement will give me hope.
I am glad that at least my optometrist is willing to see me.
Now I am worry about my driving to my new job next Monday. I will have to drive 80Km one way from home to work. I probably will wear my reading glasses for driving too.
Jan 27, 2013
31 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver
This is a stupid question but what do the steroid drops actually do to the eye during the healing process?
Nov 2, 2013
20 posts
Unionville, ON
Hi youllfindme,
Can you remember during your lasik surgery at CCV, how many seconds it took for each eye? I supposed someone was counting down in the room as the laser went.

Thanks
Jan 27, 2013
31 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver
Had PRK yesterday. Dr King was very professional. I did this at King Lasik in Van. I'll just write about recovery so far.
Yesterday: Could see the clock right after surgery. My eyes were about -6.5 in both + astigmatism. After about 30 min the freezing started to wear off and my sensitivity to light went up like 10000% so that I couldn't open my eyes at all even wearing sunglasses. Thankfully my mom was with me and we had to walk through a bunch of people to our car while I was "blindfolded", had my eyes closed all the time and had to hold her arm. Got home, all with closed eyes, took 1 T3, and 1 ubuprofen 400mg, went to bed, this wasn't enough! I had this slight burn but the worst part was this poking needle pain even with eyes closed and not moving. I couldn't fall asleep for 2 hrs so I took 1 more T3 and then pain went away and I could sleep. Pain was about 5/10 maybe. They also gave me these shields for the eyes to sleep with.
Today: Woke up in middle of night by myself, took the drops 5 min apart (because why not, I need to take them every 4 hrs unless im sleeping..), went back to sleep. Woke up at 9, eyes are ok ( not sticky at all) took drops again (3 drops 5 min apart) and the refresh tears, went to for post op appointment. Dr said I see 20/25, I see enough to drive. He said I'm healing faster than average and also see better than I'm supposed to. By the way every 30 mins today I took the refresh tears (single use ones). I couldn't find any Bion tears. No pain today just sandy feeling in eyes.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
1171 posts
79 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
Being able to drive after the first day with prk sounds awesome. That IS fast healing!
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2912 posts
403 upvotes
Alberta
szayts wrote:
May 3rd, 2014 3:35 pm
This is a stupid question but what do the steroid drops actually do to the eye during the healing process?
Very basic answer, to my knowledge. Lots of drops slows the healing process. Why would they want to do that? A slower healing process significantly reduces the likelihood of scarring.

Reducing the drops reduces how much your eyes could permanently heal into farsightedness.

So it is a balancing act.
szayts wrote:
May 8th, 2014 5:27 pm
Had PRK yesterday. Dr King was very professional. I did this at King Lasik in Van. I'll just write about recovery so far.
Yesterday: Could see the clock right after surgery. My eyes were about -6.5 in both + astigmatism. After about 30 min the freezing started to wear off and my sensitivity to light went up like 10000% so that I couldn't open my eyes at all even wearing sunglasses. Thankfully my mom was with me and we had to walk through a bunch of people to our car while I was "blindfolded", had my eyes closed all the time and had to hold her arm. Got home, all with closed eyes, took 1 T3, and 1 ubuprofen 400mg, went to bed, this wasn't enough! I had this slight burn but the worst part was this poking needle pain even with eyes closed and not moving. I couldn't fall asleep for 2 hrs so I took 1 more T3 and then pain went away and I could sleep. Pain was about 5/10 maybe. They also gave me these shields for the eyes to sleep with.
Today: Woke up in middle of night by myself, took the drops 5 min apart (because why not, I need to take them every 4 hrs unless im sleeping..), went back to sleep. Woke up at 9, eyes are ok ( not sticky at all) took drops again (3 drops 5 min apart) and the refresh tears, went to for post op appointment. Dr said I see 20/25, I see enough to drive. He said I'm healing faster than average and also see better than I'm supposed to. By the way every 30 mins today I took the refresh tears (single use ones). I couldn't find any Bion tears. No pain today just sandy feeling in eyes.
Glad to hear it's going great overall. That being said, don't be surprised if it is awful tomorrow and you go a week nearly blind still.
iengrfd wrote:
May 1st, 2014 12:16 pm
You are below average in healing speed. However, as was explained to me, vision means nearly nothing until the epthielium is completely healed. You just haven't reached that point.
Pro wrote:
Apr 28th, 2014 12:14 pm
I did my LASIK surgery two weeks ago. Vision is good and I'm mostly happy with the way everything turned out. There is only one thing that bothers me and it could be me being a bit picky right now. My night vision isn't quite where I'd like it to be. I can see well but it's certain finer details that aren't as sharp as I'd like them to be. An example is traffic lights. Instead of a distinct green, yellow, red circle. There's a bit of a fuzz on the outer edges. More specifically with yellow/orange lights and at a far distance ie.200-300 feet. I know the eyes are still healing and it could be up to six months before things sharpen up some more.

So besides that everything is amazing. Daytime vision is on a fighter pilot's level! Love it!
The night vision improves much more gradually than the rest of the healing in my experience. I am back at 100% now, but it took a few months.
Jan 27, 2013
31 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks scouzer,
Yes, my vision has regressed a bit. I wouldn't say that its blinding though.

Also I want to correct myself I wrote it like I only started taking drops on next day, but I actually been taking them as prescribed starting on surgery day (just to clarify).

Day 1 (May 8) after PRK surgery continued (evening):
Towards the evening my vision became very very blurry like I'm looking through milk and I am seeing lots of halos. We will see how the next evening goes.

Day 2 (May 9, today):
Woke up today with pretty good vision even sharper than it was yesterday morning but right away I saw that it's doubled vision especially in my right eye. Like its very very precise vision, I can see very good (far better than last night) but I can tell that there's a bit of doubling going on. During the afternoon my eyes became very irritated and felt very dry so I used refresh drops every 10 mins. Also a bit of light sensitivity (nothing too bad). I wear my sunglasses on all the time just because DR said so. All I did today was paint my nails and just nap all day (so far). Vision getting worse than 3 hours ago.. (Both on Day 1 and today Day 2, is this normal it getting worse towards the evening? Weird). I'm getting contacts removed on Monday afternoon May 12. So far I am happy with my choice and my vision.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2912 posts
403 upvotes
Alberta
szayts wrote:
May 9th, 2014 8:24 pm
Thanks scouzer,
Yes, my vision has regressed a bit. I wouldn't say that its blinding though.

Also I want to correct myself I wrote it like I only started taking drops on next day, but I actually been taking them as prescribed starting on surgery day (just to clarify).

Day 1 (May 8) after PRK surgery continued (evening):
Towards the evening my vision became very very blurry like I'm looking through milk and I am seeing lots of halos. We will see how the next evening goes.

Day 2 (May 9, today):
Woke up today with pretty good vision even sharper than it was yesterday morning but right away I saw that it's doubled vision especially in my right eye. Like its very very precise vision, I can see very good (far better than last night) but I can tell that there's a bit of doubling going on. During the afternoon my eyes became very irritated and felt very dry so I used refresh drops every 10 mins. Also a bit of light sensitivity (nothing too bad). I wear my sunglasses on all the time just because DR said so. All I did today was paint my nails and just nap all day (so far). Vision getting worse than 3 hours ago.. (Both on Day 1 and today Day 2, is this normal it getting worse towards the evening? Weird). I'm getting contacts removed on Monday afternoon May 12. So far I am happy with my choice and my vision.
DO NOT USE REFRESH DROPS EVERY 10 MINUTES

Check out Google for preservative toxicity. You are actually melting your eyes! Refresh tears are for normal people who have not just had surgery, safe to use a few times a day MAX.

Get a product called Bion Tears - preservative free, so you can use it like a machine with no ill effect.
Nov 2, 2013
20 posts
Unionville, ON
I use Refresh Plus, which say "Preservative Free" on the box. Is that OK? It comes in 30 tubes in each box. I use it about every hour or two.
Nov 2, 2013
20 posts
Unionville, ON
BTW, it is 3 weeks after my prk. Second week was my nightmare as my vision was almost +2.5 for 2 days. I am not sure if that is part of normal recovery or overcorrection by my surgeon. Then it slowly improved back to around +2.0. But doctor keep telling me that is normal and stick with the eye drops but I am not sure if he sugar coated it. Any idea what should vision be by month 1 for average normal recovery?
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
2788 posts
390 upvotes
Vancouver
iengrfd wrote:
May 10th, 2014 1:52 am
I use Refresh Plus, which say "Preservative Free" on the box. Is that OK? It comes in 30 tubes in each box. I use it about every hour or two.
Should be fine, since they're packaged in the plastic vials and meant to be used up quickly after it's opened. So there are no preservatives like it states. But best to check with your doctor...
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2912 posts
403 upvotes
Alberta
iengrfd wrote:
May 10th, 2014 1:52 am
Ah yes, those should be fine.
iengrfd wrote:
May 10th, 2014 1:58 am
BTW, it is 3 weeks after my prk. Second week was my nightmare as my vision was almost +2.5 for 2 days. I am not sure if that is part of normal recovery or overcorrection by my surgeon. Then it slowly improved back to around +2.0. But doctor keep telling me that is normal and stick with the eye drops but I am not sure if he sugar coated it. Any idea what should vision be by month 1 for average normal recovery?
It is normal to overcorrect. I was +1.5 at my peak, it slowly dropped and I think I ended up around +0.25--negligible.

If your doctor was concerned, they'd adjust your steroid drop treatment. I do not think at 3 weeks you should be concerned.