Health & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 23rd, 2019 3:14 am

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 319. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

53%
No

15%
Pizza is yummy

32%
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2004
3801 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
manyoo99 wrote:
May 27th, 2014 7:47 am
Hi, I am going to finally go in for Lasik as well. Was wondering what your experience is now...looks like you got your procedure done about 6 weeks ago.
Hey!

Things are still going well. I'm happy with my vision and how things are healing up. On my last check up I was told the -0.25 that was in my left eye is now gone. Still seeing 20/15 but not as sharp of a 20/15 as before. Vision of 20/20 is perfect.

The only thing that bothers me is my night vision. More specifically, I do get starbursts/glare from some car lights at a high distance. My Dr. and even some who have done the surgery here state that the night time vision should get better but takes the longest to heal. It could be three to six months before the starbursts are gone.

Good luck with your surgery.
Proud supporter of Tour for Kids and Ride for Karen!

Come chat live with other RFD'ers on IRC! #redflagdeals on EFNet!

Peace!
Apr 30, 2007
450 posts
44 upvotes
Pro wrote:
May 28th, 2014 9:49 am
Hey!

Things are still going well. I'm happy with my vision and how things are healing up. On my last check up I was told the -0.25 that was in my left eye is now gone. Still seeing 20/15 but not as sharp of a 20/15 as before. Vision of 20/20 is perfect.

The only thing that bothers me is my night vision. More specifically, I do get starbursts/glare from some car lights at a high distance. My Dr. and even some who have done the surgery here state that the night time vision should get better but takes the longest to heal. It could be three to six months before the starbursts are gone.

Good luck with your surgery.
Thanks for giving this feedback. I'm taking the plunge....will let the group know how I fare :)
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2006
1047 posts
69 upvotes
Reading the healing progress on here, makes me think twice about getting laser eye.

I just moved downtown for the year to try out life downtown. But it sounds like with laser/PRK you loose a month at least to being indoors due to restricted sight! Is that true? I have astigmatism so I have to get an estimate but it probably will be a PRK procedure.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2004
3801 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
manyoo99 wrote:
May 28th, 2014 11:01 am
Thanks for giving this feedback. I'm taking the plunge....will let the group know how I fare :)
Please do keep us in the know on your experience!
menaknow wrote:
May 28th, 2014 11:47 am
Reading the healing progress on here, makes me think twice about getting laser eye.

I just moved downtown for the year to try out life downtown. But it sounds like with laser/PRK you loose a month at least to being indoors due to restricted sight! Is that true? I have astigmatism so I have to get an estimate but it probably will be a PRK procedure.
It's really just PRK that has a long recovery process. I did Lasik and I could see well by the second day. It was about four days after initial surgery where I was able to see real well and not as much sensitivity to light.

If I had to do it all over again. I would still choose Lasik. My prescription wasn't very high and the doctor recommend I do Lasik and not PRK.
Proud supporter of Tour for Kids and Ride for Karen!

Come chat live with other RFD'ers on IRC! #redflagdeals on EFNet!

Peace!
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
1171 posts
79 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
menaknow wrote:
May 28th, 2014 11:47 am

Having astigmatism is very common the point of everyone pretty much as at least a little bit. LASIK can treat patients with astigmatism just fine. It's really the "nature" of the astigmatism that really matters. Sadly you'll never know how yours is unless you go and get an eye test from a laser center (optometrists most likely won't have the specific machines). What I mean by "nature" is that you could have an inferior sloping type astigmatism, which could give hints of keratoconus or ectasia (post operatively).

So all in all, the best way to find out if you're a candidate is to go in for a consultation. The ads don't lie! :D
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2006
1047 posts
69 upvotes
jrychlik wrote:
May 29th, 2014 6:22 am
Having astigmatism is very common the point of everyone pretty much as at least a little bit. LASIK can treat patients with astigmatism just fine. It's really the "nature" of the astigmatism that really matters. Sadly you'll never know how yours is unless you go and get an eye test from a laser center (optometrists most likely won't have the specific machines). What I mean by "nature" is that you could have an inferior sloping type astigmatism, which could give hints of keratoconus or ectasia (post operatively).

So all in all, the best way to find out if you're a candidate is to go in for a consultation. The ads don't lie! :D
Yeah I am still going to go for a consultation with a few locations either way. It was more of a how long will I be out question where maybe I would do the operation near winter where I can still enjoy summer if it is PRK.
Apr 30, 2007
450 posts
44 upvotes
I got my custom LASIK surgery done on Friday (June 6) at TLC Mississauga. Overall surgery was fairly quick and took maybe 10 mins total. My vision pre-surgery was -2.75 and -2.50. After day one, vision was 20/15 with -0.25 in one eye (can't remember which one).

Today is Day 3 and vision still looks great. Will know better by Day 7.

Thanks to the people on this thread who gave great insight on what to expect for the surgery.
Sep 1, 2005
55 posts
Markham
Hi all, newbie in LASIK here. Went for a consultation at Goldberg in Scarborough. They recommended to take an DNA test for some genetic test for corneal issue. Has anyone take this test? The test is pretty pricy, $275. Shouldn't this test be included in the package?
Nov 18, 2006
102 posts
gorally wrote:
Jun 9th, 2014 11:37 pm
Hi all, newbie in LASIK here. Went for a consultation at Goldberg in Scarborough. They recommended to take an DNA test for some genetic test for corneal issue. Has anyone take this test? The test is pretty pricy, $275. Shouldn't this test be included in the package?
Hmm... DNA test.... That's the first I've heard, and I never came across that in the months that I researched for my own surgery. Have you tried Lasik or others?

I'd book consultation at other places first, before paying for the DNA test that might say you are not even eligible for a surgery.
Sep 1, 2005
55 posts
Markham
It is my wife who want to do that. she went to have the consultation done today and already confirmed she is a canadiate. However, the consultant the tell her that there is an optional test that she can take to safeguard that she has no genetic issue with the cornea. Regular $500 but now 275 if she perform the LASIK there..sound fishy to me tho.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
4028 posts
1531 upvotes
AB
gorally wrote:
Jun 9th, 2014 11:54 pm
It is my wife who want to do that. she went to have the consultation done today and already confirmed she is a canadiate. However, the consultant the tell her that there is an optional test that she can take to safeguard that she has no genetic issue with the cornea. Regular $500 but now 275 if she perform the LASIK there..sound fishy to me tho.
lol, what will they think of next. Go to a different company.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
1171 posts
79 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
gorally wrote:
Jun 9th, 2014 11:37 pm
That sounds quite off and kind of scary.
I've never heard of anything like this before but id rather have the ophthamologist personally talk about this DNA test before dropping that kind of cash.
The oly thing I could think of that would be hugely genetic and corneal tissue could play a role with is Fuchs corneal dystrophy, but that normall doesn't have a problem with LASIK as it's posterior cornea.
I guess they could also be scared for keratoconus but in pretty sure that there's no way a DNA test would be able to show that one. I could be wrong though just never heard of ot before.
Sep 1, 2005
55 posts
Markham
I believe that was for the purpose of corneal tissue issue. However, I don't think they explained clearly to the wife. BTW, Is there any discussion of in the forum regarding the clinics rating?
Jan 16, 2009
116 posts
3 upvotes
Brampton
Hey guys. So my vision is -2.75 in my right eye and -3 in my left eye.

I want to get laser eye surgery, but I have a few questions.

1) I've heard people say it's best to do it when vision is stable. It's been 4 years since I've worn glasses. From last year I think only one of my eyes went up by .25. So my question is that do you guys think my vision is stable enough to get this done or should I wait for my next examination to see if it didn't change at all?

2) I've heard people debate on this thread about how PKR is better than lasik. Is it cause the flap can open up or high chances of infections? Does having Lasik limit you from doing certain things? (e.g. Extreme sports and such)

3) Anyone have any discounts on either? (BTW I live in Toronto and I'm not really interested in heading to Vancouver at the moment).
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2080 posts
157 upvotes
There's a very low change of the flap opening up. I've play a lot of contact sports and get hit in the face a lot..no problems here.

Also I thought PRK was considered old technology and takes longer to heal. I went with Bladeless Lasik at herzig 4 years ago and haven't had any issues since.
signature removed for rule violations - no referrals allowed