Health & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 18th, 2020 9:29 am

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 342. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

53%
No

15%
Pizza is yummy

32%
Jul 3, 2013
27 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
I was quoted $4280 for custom wavefront lasik at lasik md north york. Anybody know a cheaper place?
Dec 18, 2011
5 posts
Vancouver
How long do they recommend not playing sports for after PRK? I'm just curious how long I should take off from hockey.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
1171 posts
79 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
robmah wrote: How long do they recommend not playing sports for after PRK? I'm just curious how long I should take off from hockey.
For prk it really depends on how you feel. After a week you can probably play again but one persons eyes may be more sensitive than another's. Especially speeding through the cold air. Don't be surprised if it's after a month.
Dec 18, 2011
5 posts
Vancouver
Blanche123 wrote: I guess this would be a question for your doctor???
Was going to ask the Doc anyway but I figured it would be nice to get some insight to get an idea of how long I would be out for.

@jrychlik thanks! I'll post some updates when I speak to the Doc.
Oct 5, 2014
5 posts
Toronto, ON
Hello!
I had my prk done at coal harbour beginning of July. It's been about 10 weeks since the procedure.
I live in Toronto and decided to head out west for the procedure since I was able to stay with family for that week.
I had my consultation and surgery all on the same day. My procedure cost $1800 for the PRK and an additional $300 for tissue sparring.
The overall recovery was very surprising. I had read many PRK stories and was expecting the worst. I had no pain whatsoever, never used any of the numbing drops but followed very closely their strict schedule for their multitude of meds.
Since the surgery I was able to see very clearly. Some weeks after the bandaid contacts came off, my vision would become unbalanced between both eyes. right eye would become blurry while left remained clear and vice versa. Print or items would be blurry upclose. At my 2 month follow up my optometrist here said I might have been slightly over-corrected but said it will take time to settle.
Now I feel it has become more stabilized and am still astonished that I can see the details of leaves in trees while I drive. Sharpest vision for me outside is when the sun is about to set.
Overall I am extremely happy I went to coal harbour for treatment.
Nov 12, 2007
3 posts
toronto
Just came back from TLC and they said I am Candidate for both LASIK and PRK. Now it is decision time.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2005
2319 posts
203 upvotes
My appt with Herzig, scheduled for Friday Sept 19 was cancelled because the dude doing it won't be in. They just called me to reschedule and said that buddy won't be in but they have two slots with Herzig himself on the Thuesday. Herzig typically charges $500 more per surgery than his underlings. But they will honour the same price as they quoted me before for the underling. However, my wife cannot do Thursday and Friday to pick me up and whatnot so I will have to take TTC or cab it. Should I do that and go with Herzig, or just reschedule the other guy the following week? I assume both are competent and that Herzig merely charges more because he is Herzig, yes?
Oct 18, 2012
133 posts
3 upvotes
GTA
I have surgery date fixed on 29th sep with Lasik MD but feels like postponing it to clarify below questions..

1. Can laser eye surgery/prk be performed again after you get any of those surgeries ? ( if number comes again ) And if it can, after how much time ?

2. Does the corneal flap which is removed and put back again for LASIK procedure attach correctly to cornea ?? What happens if it doesn't or dislocated? What can be the real flap related complications ?

3. Are there any side effects to be faced after a long period of LASIK or PRK surgeries ??

4. Will I still need glasses after surgery ?

5. Should I choose Intralase or microkeratrome lasik eye surgery ?
Aug 31, 2011
360 posts
80 upvotes
lemgreyes wrote: I was quoted $4280 for custom wavefront lasik at lasik md north york. Anybody know a cheaper place?
Lasik MD kitchener/waterloo is cheaper by like $400.
Jul 3, 2013
27 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
kaydees wrote: Lasik MD kitchener/waterloo is cheaper by like $400.
I went ahead and had my surgery last friday. Vision is amazing right now.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2005
2319 posts
203 upvotes
Well, had my surgery at Dr. Herzig on Thursday and three days later, everything is great. Eyes are still healing so they feel a little irritated (like wearing your contacts for too long) but otherwise everything is great and they get better every day. 20/20. Dr. Herzig was a great doctor and highly recommended. The whole Herzig team treated me well. Still a little weird without glasses. I find myself searching around the end table next to my bed every morning for my glasses before I realize that I don't need them. Habit I guess. The whole expeirence is highly recommended.
Oct 24, 2013
357 posts
135 upvotes
robster77 wrote: Well, had my surgery at Dr. Herzig on Thursday and three days later, everything is great. Eyes are still healing so they feel a little irritated (like wearing your contacts for too long) but otherwise everything is great and they get better every day. 20/20. Dr. Herzig was a great doctor and highly recommended. The whole Herzig team treated me well. Still a little weird without glasses. I find myself searching around the end table next to my bed every morning for my glasses before I realize that I don't need them. Habit I guess. The whole expeirence is highly recommended.
Your avatar goes perfectly with this thread lol. Congrats! Did you get PRK or Lasik and how much did it cost you?
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2005
2319 posts
203 upvotes
Thanks. Furley was ahead of his time. I got Lasik. Cost was $4,500, which for Dr. Herzig was a deal because he usually charges $5,000. I got him for the $4,500 because the guy I originally chose could not make it so Herzig fit me into his surgery day and honoured the same price. All good. I can't really complain about much. Other than my eyes still healing, which should take a week or two to fully heal, I have no complaints. No dry eye. No halos or anything else that people get.