Beauty & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2017 5:38 pm

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 180. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

52%
No

14%
Pizza is yummy

34%
Oct 6, 2015
600 posts
286 upvotes
Aznsilvrboy wrote:
Apr 1st, 2017 6:04 pm
Most of my research indicates that the bandage contacts can be removed 3-4 days post-op. Why is it that you took a week to remove them?
Procedure on Monday, could've had them removed on Saturday, but my optometrist doesn't work on Saturdays. And Friday was "too early" they said.

My research indicated the same, but they told me to have it done on Saturday or Monday. Wasn't a big deal. You end up using enough lubricants and steroid drops that you don't even realize they're in there.

I think they advise not to drive directly after your removal appointment, as your vision can go downhill at least for a day or two right after the bandage contact lens is removed (mine did!). @peanutz, do u remember what your experience was like?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
5902 posts
572 upvotes
Greely
burnt69 wrote:
Apr 1st, 2017 9:40 am
Roughly how old were you that they offered you a monovision trial? I'm in my later-mid 30s, and it was never brought up as I passed the close-up visual acuity test at the pre-op. Post-procedure I do feel that I have lost a bunch of my near vision with both my eyes full-distance corrected, and am somewhat worried about how things might be 5 years from now.

One wonderful unintended side effect of the surgery is that my headaches are completely gone. I used to get headaches in the evening, even with wearing contacts with the proper prescription, and they basically went away completely right after surgery. I wasn't sure if the headaches were from my eyes, or if they were from my wisdom teeth.
42 - that magic age where most people start needing reading glasses.

I have lost a bit of close up as well, but I'm just over 48 hours post op. Not sure if it will get any better before getting worse.
Oct 6, 2015
600 posts
286 upvotes
steve-0101 wrote:
Apr 1st, 2017 10:35 pm
42 - that magic age where most people start needing reading glasses.
Oh darn, that's not too far away for me! Were you symptomatic? Or just the Dr. offered you the trial because he figured you'd have a problem sooner or later?
I have lost a bit of close up as well, but I'm just over 48 hours post op. Not sure if it will get any better before getting worse.
Yeah I don't know how it works with LASIK, but with PRK, they deliberately over-correct. My near vision has improved during the recovery process, but it was a tad bit frightening not even being able to read the credit card numbers when I was trying to book a flight!
Oct 6, 2015
600 posts
286 upvotes
burnt69 wrote:
Mar 31st, 2017 11:15 pm
The website says enhancements are free in the first year. Thereafter, a 'facility charge' will be assessed. In my research on Reddit, and in the Google/Yelp reviews, the 'facility charge' appeared to be $600 or so per eye. And if you're in your 40s (or older), the Dr. would highly encourage only the re-treatment of a single eye to help with close-up vision ("monovision"). Plus you'd have to cover your steroid and lube drops, but that's only $100-$200 at the worst.
I normally don't reply to my own posts, but I forgot one thing. You're on the hook for the optometrist after-care of the re-treatment itself. So PLEC charges the $600 fee (per eye), then you probably have to shell out $600-$800 to the after-care optometrist, plus the medications and the travel. So a bilateral re-treatment could easily turn into a $2500-$3000 endeavor if flying from Toronto.

That's why I'd be terribly reluctant to recommend travelling for treatment to, for instance, a student or someone who couldn't come up with the money and ended up foregoing re-treatment because of finances. Even though, in the first year, re-treatments are free, at least from the clinic's point of view.

I didn't really have any choice since the local options suck and I live in the middle of nowhere. But its just something to be aware of, especially if you have a higher prescription already and might trend towards being in that category. The odds are on the Pacific-Laser website, and its probably safe to assume that anyone worse than 20/40 will be re-treated (20/40 being the cut-off for driving!), and even a subset of 20/25 outcomes will go for a re-treatment in any given category.

http://www.pacific-laser.com/our-statistics
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
5902 posts
572 upvotes
Greely
No symptoms yet, but this is the age where most people start to need them. Had I needed them, I may have chosen it. My father had his done at 52 and he had the monovision procedure, and he loves it, but that said, his distance vision is not quite as sharp... you can't have it both ways.
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10220 posts
628 upvotes
Toronto
burnt69 wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2017 3:17 am
I normally don't reply to my own posts, but I forgot one thing. You're on the hook for the optometrist after-care of the re-treatment itself. So PLEC charges the $600 fee (per eye), then you probably have to shell out $600-$800 to the after-care optometrist, plus the medications and the travel. So a bilateral re-treatment could easily turn into a $2500-$3000 endeavor if flying from Toronto.

That's why I'd be terribly reluctant to recommend travelling for treatment to, for instance, a student or someone who couldn't come up with the money and ended up foregoing re-treatment because of finances. Even though, in the first year, re-treatments are free, at least from the clinic's point of view.

I didn't really have any choice since the local options suck and I live in the middle of nowhere. But its just something to be aware of, especially if you have a higher prescription already and might trend towards being in that category. The odds are on the Pacific-Laser website, and its probably safe to assume that anyone worse than 20/40 will be re-treated (20/40 being the cut-off for driving!), and even a subset of 20/25 outcomes will go for a re-treatment in any given category.

http://www.pacific-laser.com/our-statistics
Just curious if you've explored out of country options. Schwind's website lists a few dozen laser clinics worldwide that use the Smartsurface technology with Amaris 1050RS and I'm wondering if it might be cheaper to do it abroad.
Jan 30, 2017
17 posts
5 upvotes
burnt69 wrote:
Mar 28th, 2017 4:17 am
Wow, they were extra generous with the Ativans! I was only offered (and took) one!

Yeah it all gets better! I put my drops in the refrigerator for extra soothing-ness.

Please continue to share your experiences. Do you remember your visual acuity straight after the procedure? Local to Vancouver, or did you do the travel thing like peanutz and I?
I'm living in Vancouver so is more convenient :)
I didn't ask, but when he did the vision test, my vision was blurry so he put some eye drops..the eye drops did help in clearing up the vision, but once I blinked, it turned blurry again. I remember after the procedure, my vision was blurry for the first few days then it got better. Try not to strain your eyes during the first week, I had pretty bad headache from trying to use my ipad :p After the bandage, vision was okay.
Eyes are still sensitive to lights, still doing eyes drops, no more soreness around the eyes.
Oh, and PLEC does remove the contacts bandage for you without charge.
Jan 30, 2017
17 posts
5 upvotes
peanutz wrote:
Mar 28th, 2017 4:17 am
Thanks for the update, bogummy. Hopefully your recovery will continue. Are you using your lubricant drops frequently? And 4000mg of fish oil a day?

I had my 2-month post op checkup today. 20/25 in my left, 20/20 in my right eye. My eyes didn't feel dry or irritated, but the optometrist told me that my eyes were indeed very dry. I guess I need to use my drops more...I have finished my steroid/all medicinal drops since last Wednesday.
YES! but for lubricant drops, I didn't do it every 2hrs as stated on the instruction sheet.
My eyes don't feel dry or irritated, but not sure whether I actually have dry eyes. Will go to my optometrist for check up the end of April...will know by then.

I'm not sure if I apply the eye ointment correctly...When I wake up, there's always ointment near my eye lashes area..hmm
Jan 30, 2017
17 posts
5 upvotes
Aznsilvrboy wrote:
Apr 1st, 2017 4:41 pm
Question about PLEC: do they do surgeries on weekends or is it week days only?

PLEC is closed on Sat and Sun.
Oct 6, 2015
600 posts
286 upvotes
Aznsilvrboy wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2017 4:47 pm
Just curious if you've explored out of country options. Schwind's website lists a few dozen laser clinics worldwide that use the Smartsurface technology with Amaris 1050RS and I'm wondering if it might be cheaper to do it abroad.
Yeah there was a clinic in Estonia, and one in Seoul/Gangnam that I researched and seriously considered with the same laser. But there was no savings to be had, especially since co-management is mandatory for me.

Based on online reputation, technology, and published academic work, there's lots of surgeons I'd go to overseas in an instant, including Dr. Kang in Seoul, Dr. Tan in Singapore, Dr. de Ourtega in Germany, Dr. Vinciguerra in Milan, that guy in Estonia, Shingawa in Tokyo, etc. But really no savings to be had on an all-in basis. Might be different if I was spending an extended period of time in those countries though. Quite honestly, I think I was "in love" with the technology platform of the laser (transPRK w/SmartSurfACE), so being able to go to literally the inventor ("chief investigator" in medical parlance) of the technology right here in Canada was quite amazing.
Oct 6, 2015
600 posts
286 upvotes
bogummy wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2017 5:46 pm
I'm not sure if I apply the eye ointment correctly...When I wake up, there's always ointment near my eye lashes area..hmm
Yeah its a mess, lol. For the first week or two, I was paranoid about touching the applicator tip to any part of the eye (because of infection risk in the warnings), but as time went on, I let my guard down and have been having a much easier time applying it.

10 weeks later, I still use Lacri Lube (almost depleted my tube!). If I don't, then my eyes are dry in the daytime and I need to use drops. If I use Lacri Lube overnight, the eyes are not dry in the day.

This was the video that 'taught' me what to do:

Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4589 posts
607 upvotes
Aznsilvrboy wrote:
Apr 1st, 2017 6:04 pm
Most of my research indicates that the bandage contacts can be removed 3-4 days post-op. Why is it that you took a week to remove them?
PLEC's protocol is that 5-days post-op is the EARLIEST they want people removing bandage contacts. Their notes to the optometrist (provided in an envelope after the surgery) also say that the bandage contacts they use can be kept in for up to 7 days, and if the epithelium hasn't "closed" yet, it's better to err on the side of keeping in the bandage contacts longer at 6 or 7 days rather than prematurely taking them off.

My left eye was fine when they were taken out at Day 5 (morning), but my right eye could have probably stood to wait a little more, like Day 5 end of the day, or Day 6 or 7. My right eye had a mild gritty feeling that disappeared when I put in eye drops, but after a few hours would come back. The next day it was fine.

The notes say that after removal of bandage contacts, the patient shouldn't feel a grittiness or irritation that isn't soothed by eyedrops. If they DO feel a persistent grittiness, it means that the epithelium isn't closed and that (new) bandage contacts should be put back in with additional patient visits daily until they can be removed.

The literature warns of older/other brands of bandage contacts that cause hypoxic conditions on the eye and adversely affect healing beyond 3-4 days after PRK. That may be true... but PLEC's bandage contacts and healing timelines specify removal of their bandage contacts at 5-7 days. For my eyes, end of Day 5, or Day 6 would have been the sweet spot. I felt no discomfort while they were in.
bogummy wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2017 5:46 pm
This happens to me, too, when I've applied too much. Maybe just decrease the amount you put in? I've been using the eye ointment sporadically after the 1-month mark.

As for the tip of the ointment tube... I find it hard to apply without touching my lash line. Therefore when I open it for application, I swipe the tip with a cotton pad of rubbing alcohol and squeeze out/discard a bit of ointment from the tip to "clean" it before application. I let the rubbing alcohol dry for 30 seconds, and then I go. The eye ointments are anhydrous, so if there is any bacteria sitting on the outer layer, they shouldn't be penetrating and growing inward. :)
Jan 30, 2017
17 posts
5 upvotes
burnt69 wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2017 8:33 pm
Yeah its a mess, lol. For the first week or two, I was paranoid about touching the applicator tip to any part of the eye (because of infection risk in the warnings), but as time went on, I let my guard down and have been having a much easier time applying it.

10 weeks later, I still use Lacri Lube (almost depleted my tube!). If I don't, then my eyes are dry in the daytime and I need to use drops. If I use Lacri Lube overnight, the eyes are not dry in the day.

This was the video that 'taught' me what to do:

I have trouble cutting the ointment! thanks for sharing this video! Will try using his "whoop" way cutting off the ointment. :)
Jan 30, 2017
17 posts
5 upvotes
burnt69 wrote:
Apr 1st, 2017 11:09 pm
Oh darn, that's not too far away for me! Were you symptomatic? Or just the Dr. offered you the trial because he figured you'd have a problem sooner or later?

Yeah I don't know how it works with LASIK, but with PRK, they deliberately over-correct. My near vision has improved during the recovery process, but it was a tad bit frightening not even being able to read the credit card numbers when I was trying to book a flight!
how long did it take for your near vision to get back to normal? I'm still having trouble focusing on near stuff but not as bad as what you had experienced
Oct 6, 2015
600 posts
286 upvotes
bogummy wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2017 10:26 pm
how long did it take for your near vision to get back to normal? I'm still having trouble focusing on near stuff but not as bad as what you had experienced
I went on a 3 week holiday in Southern Florida/the Virgin Islands basically a month after my procedure, so didn't really notice the progression of my near vision. Too many margaritas and rum cocktails I guess :). It seems to be better now. My eyes are pretty close to, if not at "plano" (0.00) at my 2 month check-up, so the over-correction dissipated somewhat. I do think I have a bit of rebound haze though as I'm not even sure I can see the 20/20 line. They say 6 months to a year for a full recovery, and I've read studies in support of FDA laser approval that indicate that even with LASIK, full visual sharpening can take a year.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

gardarik