Beauty & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2017 5:38 pm

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 180. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

52%
No

14%
Pizza is yummy

34%
Aug 24, 2013
29 posts
2 upvotes
Ajax
Hello guys, I am in my early twenties. Would you recommend getting lasik and what might the total costs be? I am a student so I am not even sure if it will be worth it..Thank you for any answers!
Oct 6, 2015
600 posts
286 upvotes
Hellzone wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 9:48 pm
Hello guys, I am in my early twenties. Would you recommend getting lasik and what might the total costs be? I am a student so I am not even sure if it will be worth it..Thank you for any answers!
A pre-requisite to undergoing LASIK, PRK, etc., is that of refractive stability. If your prescription is still changing every year or two, you probably shouldn't get the surgery until you are stable.

Costs can range from $2000 (ie: one of the Vancouver high-volume centers with a referral, affinity program, or coupon) all the way up to $5500-$6000 (premium Toronto clinic, high prescription). Plus travel if necessary.

If you're truly stable, and otherwise eligible, a LASIK/PRK procedure can save you lots on glasses, contact lenses, and even opportunity costs associated with the time you'd spend taking care of these things. However, economics really isn't a good argument to have LASIK/PRK. Its an irreversible, potentially major life altering procedure.

Personally I would never recommend anybody undergo LASIK these days, as I prefer PRK, especially with the latest/newest technology. LASIK is an archaic and outdated procedure, an earlier attempt at solving the problems of PRK (ie: pain, slower visual recovery, haze) that no longer exist with the latest PRK procedure optimizations that are now available. Not only is LASIK a more difficult procedure to perform, but has many more complications both short and long-term, and actually costs more.
Jan 30, 2017
17 posts
5 upvotes
Hello, I'm back to give some updates :)
Went for my 1 month post-op check today, my vision is 20/25 @burnt69 @peanutz how is your vision now? ( a bit disappointed, I thought I can get 20/20 or better after the surgery) and also having corneal haze.
Hopefully things will get better on my next appointment!!
Oct 6, 2015
600 posts
286 upvotes
bogummy wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 4:10 am
Went for my 1 month post-op check today, my vision is 20/25 @burnt69 @peanutz how is your vision now? ( a bit disappointed, I thought I can get 20/20 or better after the surgery) and also having corneal haze.
Can't give you any numbers, but I'm a bit more than 3 months out, and will be going for my 3 month check-up on Monday. Still experiencing a little bit of spherical aberration at night, particularly when looking at lights at night, but it seems to be getting lesser as time goes on, and way less than my pre-surgery amount.

I will ask my optometrist for some actual numbers, and post back. I suspect I'm at 20/15 or so at this point. Overall, if my vision didn't improve from here, I'd be happy. Just discontinued the Omega-3 supplements (ran out), but am still using an overnight lubricant (Systane Nighttime -- which I find to be a better product and easier to apply than Lacri Lube!). No daytime drops though.

BTW, in the first month or two, the quality of the tear film makes a huge difference in vision. So don't despair that you're not hitting 20/20 that quickly.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4589 posts
607 upvotes
@bogummy My 2-month checkup had 20/25 in left, 20/20 in right. I go for my 3-month checkup on the April 27. No reported haze, but I didn't ask.

My left eye is a little dry in recent mornings. I haven't been using my nightly ointments, though.

You still have time to go!

My brother just got it done on Wednesday. I'm a tad concerned that most of his recovery period will be during late spring and early summer (UV increase haze risk), hopefully he will be meticulous on protecting his eyes. He doesn't seem very good in keeping with the drops schedule, but he reports having little or no eye dryness and the doctor didn't feel the need to put punctal plugs on him.
Oct 6, 2015
600 posts
286 upvotes
peanutz wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 2:56 pm
My brother just got it done on Wednesday.
How's he doing? His experience matches yours pretty much? That's awesome he has a brother (or sister) that knew all about the process and had done all the research prior :).
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4589 posts
607 upvotes
@burnt69 He seems to be doing OK, said he experienced no pain and/or dryness. Actually he didn't really take advantage of the counseling I offered lol. I told him to read through the drops schedule and understand what the drops were for beforehand, and he didn't...practice putting in eyedrops, but he didn't...and told me he was chided by Dr. Lin for fidgeting and squirming. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

Also, I think they had some challenges on measuring his corneal topography (one of the pre-surgical scans) because his eyelashes were getting in the way?

He also told me his immediate vision didn't have much "WOW" effect. But again, we'll have to see how he heals up.

We just really have different personalities.
Dec 6, 2002
896 posts
45 upvotes
curious, about your note on "practicing" , since my wife did it she had to diligently put eye drops but shes good at it since she used to wear contacts. however, i'm very bad with eye drops and squirm alot, how can i practice this..? (to prep for laser eye surgery)
peanutz wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2017 8:59 am
@burnt69 He seems to be doing OK, said he experienced no pain and/or dryness. Actually he didn't really take advantage of the counseling I offered lol. I told him to read through the drops schedule and understand what the drops were for beforehand, and he didn't...practice putting in eyedrops, but he didn't...and told me he was chided by Dr. Lin for fidgeting and squirming. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

Also, I think they had some challenges on measuring his corneal topography (one of the pre-surgical scans) because his eyelashes were getting in the way?

He also told me his immediate vision didn't have much "WOW" effect. But again, we'll have to see how he heals up.

We just really have different personalities.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4589 posts
607 upvotes
fuc847 wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 2:30 pm
curious, about your note on "practicing" , since my wife did it she had to diligently put eye drops but shes good at it since she used to wear contacts. however, i'm very bad with eye drops and squirm alot, how can i practice this..? (to prep for laser eye surgery)
You will need preservative-free eyedrops after the surgery anyway, so go ahead and buy a box of them. PLEC recommended Refresh Optive Fusion (NOT the Advanced in the grey box).

So open up a single-use vial and practice lubricating your eyes throughout the day (they can be closed for use through 24 hours of opening.) You will begin to get familiar with positioning the vial over the eye while the head is tilted upwards, then relax and look into the distance while squeezing the drops in (i.e. do not focus on the vial.) That will help reduce any flinching instinct when the drop comes down. You will miss sometimes, but it's all about getting used the feel of how to do it. I still sometimes miss. Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Oct 6, 2015
600 posts
286 upvotes
bogummy wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 4:10 am
Okay had my 3 month check-up today. I didn't sleep very well last night, so my eyes were a bit on the dry side. I was only able to get to 20/25 for both eyes, which was a bit disappointing, but most likely because of my "dry" eyes. Dr. said I should go back on the preservative-free drops based on what she saw today.

Otherwise, my vision was "plano", ie: no correction with lenses possible. She said the spherical aberration I experience at night should continue to improve.

All-in-all, I'm happy with the results so far, and certainly happy that I had PRK instead of LASIK because the dry eyes have been more of an issue than I had anticipated at the outset.

edit: @peanutz , oh look, I just found another clinic in Canada that actually admits to doing SmartSurfACE: http://www.aquailaser.ca/ . Winnipeg though.
Oct 6, 2015
600 posts
286 upvotes
Uhhh, I'm roughly 2 weeks off my Omega-3 supplements and my night vision when I went out driving tonight has gone totally to hell. :(.

Guess there's a visit to the drugstore in my schedule tomorrow.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4589 posts
607 upvotes
I had my 3-month yesterday and it's the same vision quality as before...I asked them to take a punctal plug out because it was working too well (causing watery eyes) and now I'm better. Yay!

I'll drop down to 2 capsules of Omega-3 a day now and see what happens.

Wow @ Winnipeg getting SmartSurface before Toronto. haha...
Oct 6, 2015
600 posts
286 upvotes
peanutz wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 9:15 am
Wow @ Winnipeg getting SmartSurface before Toronto. haha...
Dr. Machat is listed at the Schwind website as actually doing sales/presentations for Schwind at the upcoming ASCRS in LA this month:

http://www.eye-tech-solutions.com/en/ho ... the-booth/

Weird, isn't it, that he works for the company and still doesn't have SmartSurfACE. Hopefully he sits in for Dr. Maria Ximena Nunez's presentation, and upgrades accordingly :).
I'll drop down to 2 capsules of Omega-3 a day now and see what happens.
How'd that work out @peanutz , doing the taper? My eyes and eyesight totally went to sh*t when I stopped the Omega-3 supplements abruptly. It got to be so bad that I couldn't even drive at night. LASIK would've been a total nightmare for me, so glad I chose PRK. <3. Jamieson Omega-3 "Select" disappeared at the drug store, so I am taking Jamieson "Salmon & Fish Oils" now.
Oct 6, 2015
600 posts
286 upvotes
CCCCCCBBBBBB wrote:
Apr 29th, 2017 10:27 pm
which laser eye center do u recommend in vancouver,and how much is it ?
If you go through this thread, there's people with good experiences at all of the high volume centers. There's very little in the way of complaints. Different places use different equipment, and some take a different approach to the follow-up after-care than others. My personal experience with "Pacific Laser Eye Center" on W. Broadway and Hemlock is extensively documented in this thread, and is glowingly positive for "SmartSurfACE" PRK surgery. They use a floating rate schedule depending upon your prescription and some other factors, but all-in, including my out of province travel (by rail and air), medications, and follow-up cost me approximately $5500.
Last edited by burnt69 on May 1st, 2017 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

gardarik