Beauty & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2017 5:38 pm

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 180. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

52%
No

14%
Pizza is yummy

34%
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4577 posts
604 upvotes
Aznsilvrboy wrote:
May 13th, 2017 6:20 pm
Does Lasik also require post-op medication/supplements like Omega-3 to be taken for months, if not years just like PRK?
It's probably not as critical with LASIK because having the corneal flap act as a "bandage" means that there are less inflammatory/healing processes that are triggered.

However, they are probably still recommended because the Omega-3s not only help with inflammation control, but also with the quality of the tear film and many people experience dry eyes after LASIK for 1-5 years at least.
Oct 6, 2015
594 posts
285 upvotes
Aznsilvrboy wrote:
May 13th, 2017 6:20 pm
Does Lasik also require post-op medication/supplements like Omega-3 to be taken for months, if not years just like PRK?
It might be even more critical with LASIK since natural nerve re-generation at the surface of the cornea takes much longer than PRK.

When reading this thread, my comments and @peanutz 's comments, it should be understood that both of us had pre-existing dry-eye issues which feature prominently in our prolonged need for dry eye therapies including supplements. For instance, when I was originally fitted with contact lenses at the age of 15 or 16, I was advised, at the time, that I may not have even been a good contact lens candidate. And that was 20 years ago. So I definitely had a dry eye problem independent to, and prior to my undergoing PRK. Pretty much to the point where I was becoming contact lens intolerant.

If you have nice moist eyes, PLEC only "requires" in their documentation that one take dry eye therapies for approximately 2 months after the procedure. Any additional dry eye treatment is at your discretion and/or in consultation with the co-managing optometrist.
May 9, 2008
327 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
Are there any clinics in GTA offering TransPRK fellow RFD members have had their operations at.
Oct 6, 2015
594 posts
285 upvotes
intotech wrote:
May 18th, 2017 9:14 am
Are there any clinics in GTA offering TransPRK fellow RFD members have had their operations at.
As someone earlier in this thread noted, Dr. Jeff Machat, who is the only known user of the Schwind transPRK-capable laser, is in the process of transitioning his practice to a new organization, so the laser is out of service and in storage apparently. It was also noted earlier that the "SmartSurfACE" upgrade was not as of yet performed on Dr. Machat's Schwind Amaris 750s.

Dr. Machat is the only known Schwind Amaris user in the GTA. And the Schwind Amaris is the only modern laser that performs transPRK. Everyone else uses alcohol or brush-based epithelial removal for the PRK treatment modality.
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10220 posts
627 upvotes
Toronto
@burnt69 and @peanutz Did you guys pick your surgeon for the surgery or just went with whomever was assigned to you? Do you feel one is better than the other at PLEC?
Oct 6, 2015
594 posts
285 upvotes
Aznsilvrboy wrote:
May 24th, 2017 1:10 pm
@burnt69 and @peanutz Did you guys pick your surgeon for the surgery or just went with whomever was assigned to you? Do you feel one is better than the other at PLEC?
I basically told them what date I wanted, (a Monday), and they gave it to me (highly recommend early Monday mornings, btw, for a less stressed office experience!). I would have undergone treatment by either surgeon without hesitation and have no information upon which to base a response to your question. Dr. Holland does fewer laser procedures, but does a lot of cataract and even corneal transplant surgeries at a local hospital. Dr. Lin only does laser, but spends a lot of time in Hawaii golfing, so their schedules, apparently, alternate accordingly.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4577 posts
604 upvotes
@Aznsilvrboy Same as burnt69...I just picked the date that worked for me (earliest!) and got the surgeon who was available that day, Dr. Lin.

I am really too shy to play favourites and ask for someone from, who I believe, are two highly qualified and professional surgeons. :) I don't want someone to feel that I "like" them less although I'm sure their feelings wouldn't be hurt...I'm just a stranger-nobody!

Plus...I kind of believe that transPRK is not that dependent and variable on individual surgeon hand-eye coordination or anything like that, which is what freaked me out about, say, keratome-flap LASIK. I'm sure Dr. Lin and Dr. Holland have both extensively discussed how they like to pick the transPRK laser settings for various eye characteristics with each other, so I don't think you can really go wrong with either.
Oct 6, 2015
594 posts
285 upvotes
peanutz wrote:
May 24th, 2017 6:16 pm
I'm sure Dr. Lin and Dr. Holland have both extensively discussed how they like to pick the transPRK laser settings for various eye characteristics with each other, so I don't think you can really go wrong with either.
Not only that, but "Corneal Wavefront"'s big technical 'problem' is that it requires reproducible topography measurements. These measurements are taken by the techs and optometrists. The techs and optometrists are the same whether Dr. Holland or Dr. Lin are actually running the laser that particular day.

Both surgeons are widely acknowledged as experts particularly at treating highly abberated eyes (ie: post-corneal transplant surgery, keratoconus) with topography-guided PRK and CXL if necessary. So routine, uncomplicated "normal" virgin-eyed PRK cases are basically pieces of cake for them.
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10220 posts
627 upvotes
Toronto
burnt69 wrote:
May 24th, 2017 1:47 pm
I basically told them what date I wanted, (a Monday), and they gave it to me (highly recommend early Monday mornings, btw, for a less stressed office experience!). I would have undergone treatment by either surgeon without hesitation and have no information upon which to base a response to your question. Dr. Holland does fewer laser procedures, but does a lot of cataract and even corneal transplant surgeries at a local hospital. Dr. Lin only does laser, but spends a lot of time in Hawaii golfing, so their schedules, apparently, alternate accordingly.
What do you mean by Monday morning for a less stressed office experience?
Oct 6, 2015
594 posts
285 upvotes
Aznsilvrboy wrote:
May 25th, 2017 9:17 pm
What do you mean by Monday morning for a less stressed office experience?
Well, everyone who undergoes a procedure needs to be seen the next day. Since they don't do procedures on Sundays, there isn't a stream of patients returning from the day prior to be seen. So the office, at least when I was there, seemed to be not very busy.

When I went back the next day for my follow-up, it was crazy busy from both the current day's patients, as well as Monday's patients returning for follow-up.

Also I think lots of people try to schedule their surgeries to minimize time off work. So they'd look for Wednesday, Thursday, Friday procedure dates. So by booking a Monday, which is probably the least desirable day, in the morning, you get the least busy day possible, and you minimize your wait if they're running behind for whatever reason. I went shopping in the afternoon after my procedure :).
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10220 posts
627 upvotes
Toronto
burnt69 wrote:
May 25th, 2017 9:37 pm
Well, everyone who undergoes a procedure needs to be seen the next day. Since they don't do procedures on Sundays, there isn't a stream of patients returning from the day prior to be seen. So the office, at least when I was there, seemed to be not very busy.

When I went back the next day for my follow-up, it was crazy busy from both the current day's patients, as well as Monday's patients returning for follow-up.

Also I think lots of people try to schedule their surgeries to minimize time off work. So they'd look for Wednesday, Thursday, Friday procedure dates. So by booking a Monday, which is probably the least desirable day, in the morning, you get the least busy day possible, and you minimize your wait if they're running behind for whatever reason. I went shopping in the afternoon after my procedure :).
Ah I see, makes sense. So they actually called me back today and I booked my surgery for late July which happens to be on a Monday with Dr. Lin. I'm still debating between the whole less busy office vs time off work dilemma. I highly value my vacation days. I read Dr. Lin's reviews on ratemds.com and while most were highly positive, he has a few negative reviews from a few years ago (before transPRK with smartsurface was offered) about unsuccessful procedure, and him being rude and unhelpful. Not sure if I should be concerned about those. His most reviews (post transPRK with smartsurface) have been excellent however.
Oct 6, 2015
594 posts
285 upvotes
Aznsilvrboy wrote:
May 25th, 2017 9:47 pm
Ah I see, makes sense. So they actually called me back today and I booked my surgery for late July which happens to be on a Monday with Dr. Lin. I'm still debating between the whole less busy office vs time off work dilemma. I highly value my vacation days. I read Dr. Lin's reviews on ratemds.com and while most were highly positive, he has a few negative reviews from a few years ago (before transPRK with smartsurface was offered) about unsuccessful procedure, and him being rude and unhelpful. Not sure if I should be concerned about those. His most reviews (post transPRK with smartsurface) have been excellent however.
Well 80k procedures / 25 years, 3200 procedures a year, or if you figure working 200 days a year, 16 actual procedures a day, plus all the follow-ups, review of follow-up reports, etc? That's literally half an hour per actual patient *total* if you figure an 8 hour working day. Plus some of the time would be spent reviewing/meeting patients who just don't book a surgery. A surgeon in that position obviously doesn't have a lot of time for chit-chat, and to many, especially if they're paying $4000 (a lot of money to some people), the need to stay on-task and keep moving may appear to be gruffness or rudeness. Considering that PLEC is known internationally for treating some of the toughest cases, particularly involving keratoconus and complications from prior refractive surgery, that require considerably more effort, the workload that the surgeons and their staff face is certainly quite daunting.

I will say this -- I had to do a lot of research to figure out what PLEC's "product" actually was, and why it had any advantages over the competition. I don't think their former website (at the time of my booking) made any reference to SmartSurfACE or transPRK. Once I did the research, read the various academic papers online, watched Dr. Lin's interviews, etc., I finally understood exactly what they were offering as a procedure. But compared to their competitors, ie: London, Coal Harbor, their website sucked, and their online patient education materials were relatively mediocre. SmartSurfACE is so new at this point that there isn't a lot of independent peer-reviewed, non-conflicted studies as to its lower pain scores, etc.

But consider that, on most YouTube "reviews" of PRK, most were guzzling narcotic pain pills and freezing drops for the first 3-4 days. And me and @peanutz , SmartSurfACE patients, didn't even take any pain pills beyond modest doses of basic non-prescription Ibuprofen/Tylenol, and were issued no freezing drops. I'm pretty sure SmartSurfACE had a lot to do with that. I was driving a car on Day 5 after surgery without issue. Most of the YouTube PRK'ers were still nowhere near capable of driving at that point.
Mar 6, 2013
145 posts
15 upvotes
Interested in getting lasik, looked at few pages here. Anyone know at what point astigmatism sphere would disqualify someone from this procedure? Looking at -2.75 and -3.25, with +5.00 (plus) eye prescriptions.
Oct 6, 2015
594 posts
285 upvotes
toaster5 wrote:
May 30th, 2017 5:10 pm
Interested in getting lasik, looked at few pages here. Anyone know at what point astigmatism sphere would disqualify someone from this procedure? Looking at -2.75 and -3.25, with +5.00 (plus) eye prescriptions.
http://pacific-laser.com/our-statistics
All levels of astigmatism are included in these patient groups. We have treated patients with up to 7 diopters of astigmatism.
With that much astigmatism + hyperopia, you're definitely not a routine case though.
Mar 6, 2013
145 posts
15 upvotes
burnt69 wrote:
May 30th, 2017 5:15 pm
http://pacific-laser.com/our-statistics

With that much astigmatism + hyperopia, you're definitely not a routine case though.
Would PRK be a better option? I'm not sure . Looking for somewhere in West Toronto/ Mississauga. Anyone with similar astigmatism/hyperopia get it done and have a ballpark cost?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)