Beauty & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 10th, 2017 4:36 pm

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 179. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

52%
No

15%
Pizza is yummy

34%
Dec 6, 2002
895 posts
45 upvotes
holy crap boy i had a rough recovery for first 2 days, just want to share with everyone how my custom PRK went. i had -5.75/-6.50 with a thick healthy cornea. so they started with numbing drops, lasered down the outer layer , took off the epthileal layer and then laser my actual cornea. the whole process was pretty painless. just a small discomfort from having the eyes stretched and abit of stinginess. so mostly the surgery was good and expected.

but soon after, about 30 mins later i felt stinginess, even with the numbing drops it became quite strong. however, it wasn't painful so i didnt take T3. so i had rested and closed my eyes while my partner drove me back.

once back home, i realize i could not open my eyes even if i tried. 2 hours later, 6 hours later, 1 day later after sleep it was the same and gotten worse. i could barely do drops . my partner had to literally gouge my eyes open to drop them and she said my eyes were almost solid blood red. called doctor and he said while not that common, this CAN happen. again, it wasn;t painful. just stinginess and uncomfortable.

so i trapped myself in a pure dark room with eyes closed for about 2.5 days as i couldnt do anytihng (blind), couldnt even operate my podcasts!

the good news ,. literally on the 3rd day, i was able to open my eyes fine and my eyes were normal white. no discomfort, nothing. on 4th day i went to followup , took bandage contacts off and have 20/30 vision! i'm so happy that was finally over. but even after many research i DID NOT expect my first 3 days to be soooo horrible.

apparently, my body is extremely sensitive to any modification.
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10216 posts
626 upvotes
Toronto
fuc847 wrote:
Jul 4th, 2017 10:11 pm
holy crap boy i had a rough recovery for first 2 days, just want to share with everyone how my custom PRK went. i had -5.75/-6.50 with a thick healthy cornea. so they started with numbing drops, lasered down the outer layer , took off the epthileal layer and then laser my actual cornea. the whole process was pretty painless. just a small discomfort from having the eyes stretched and abit of stinginess. so mostly the surgery was good and expected.

but soon after, about 30 mins later i felt stinginess, even with the numbing drops it became quite strong. however, it wasn't painful so i didnt take T3. so i had rested and closed my eyes while my partner drove me back.

once back home, i realize i could not open my eyes even if i tried. 2 hours later, 6 hours later, 1 day later after sleep it was the same and gotten worse. i could barely do drops . my partner had to literally gouge my eyes open to drop them and she said my eyes were almost solid blood red. called doctor and he said while not that common, this CAN happen. again, it wasn;t painful. just stinginess and uncomfortable.

so i trapped myself in a pure dark room with eyes closed for about 2.5 days as i couldnt do anytihng (blind), couldnt even operate my podcasts!

the good news ,. literally on the 3rd day, i was able to open my eyes fine and my eyes were normal white. no discomfort, nothing. on 4th day i went to followup , took bandage contacts off and have 20/30 vision! i'm so happy that was finally over. but even after many research i DID NOT expect my first 3 days to be soooo horrible.

apparently, my body is extremely sensitive to any modification.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Where did you do your custom PRK?
Mar 6, 2013
145 posts
15 upvotes
Does one need a recent prescription before making an appointment to go?
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4577 posts
604 upvotes
toaster5 wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 2:23 pm
Yes...not just a prescription. A comprehensive check-up with an optometrist, ideally within 1 month of surgery (according to them), but if there are delays in making the appointment, perhaps within 3 months at the most generous (here I'm just guessing).
Oct 6, 2015
589 posts
283 upvotes
toaster5 wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 2:23 pm
Some clinics do that stuff all in-house. Some, like PLEC, require that your optometrist do all the pre-op stuff. They want a full retinal work-up, cycloplegic and manifest refraction, pachymetry, etc. Probably the most important aspect, by far, is that any dry eye disease or tear film evaporation problems be evaluated and treated!!!

And yes, not only should you have a recent prescription, but your optometrist should be able to supply a 'refractive history' to the surgeon. To make sure that you are stable enough to undergo the surgery, and to plan any over-correction, particularly in younger patients. If you're over 40, you definitely should also discuss monovision and perhaps undergo a monovision trial with contact lenses with your optometrist.
Mar 6, 2013
145 posts
15 upvotes
My last eye exam was 2 years ago. So I guess I need to go again before I make an appointment even to get a quote? I just don't want to have to go twice (to my optometrist) within the span of a couple months if I do end up being a suitable candidate.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4577 posts
604 upvotes
toaster5 wrote:
Jul 19th, 2017 11:55 am
My last eye exam was 2 years ago. So I guess I need to go again before I make an appointment even to get a quote? I just don't want to have to go twice (to my optometrist) within the span of a couple months if I do end up being a suitable candidate.
Sorry, I thought you meant to "go and do the surgery." No, if you want a quote from a local laser eye clinic, all the ones I know do in-house tests (with their own optometrist or technician) to confirm that a patient is a good candidate and which surgeries/parameters are ideal for them, and thereby give you a quote or multiple quotes for different options.

However, burnt69's commends still apply; you want your prescription to have been stable for a few years, and no obvious ocular diseases/changes to vision. Most laser clinics will rely on some sort of history provided by your regular optometrist to confirm these things.
Oct 6, 2015
589 posts
283 upvotes
toaster5 wrote:
Jul 19th, 2017 11:55 am
My optometrist was pretty cool about it. She only charged me one fee for my regular eye exam + 2 pre-op appointments, knowing that she'd be able to charge me for 6 additional appointments after the surgery was done.

An extra appointment shouldn't be a big deal. A minor extra cost and inconvenience if you're going through a surgeon who has you pay for all of the follow-up appointments individually.

edit: Brief update from my 6-month follow-up appointment today. Seeing 20/12 uncorrected (can't quite get to 20/10 yet). Dry eye is way, way better than it was at the 3 month appointment. I am overcorrected at the moment, by roughly +0.75 in both eyes. Its manageable, but hoping for a bit of regression over the next number of years so the presbyopia doesn't kick me too hard. The optometrist claims she's never seen a 20/10 patient after surgery, so I might end up being her first :).
Dec 6, 2002
895 posts
45 upvotes
question for those who had PRK and recovered more than 6+ months. I'm in the post op 1 month and everything is good , except i can't focus close. i closeest i can focus my finger is around 15cm in front of my eyes. before i recall i can focus closer say ~7cm. is this normal and will it get better?
Oct 6, 2015
589 posts
283 upvotes
fuc847 wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2017 6:15 pm
question for those who had PRK and recovered more than 6+ months. I'm in the post op 1 month and everything is good , except i can't focus close. i closeest i can focus my finger is around 15cm in front of my eyes. before i recall i can focus closer say ~7cm. is this normal and will it get better?
How old are you? With PRK especially, they overcorrect rather significantly in anticipation of short-term regression. As the months go on, some of this overcorrection should dissipate, so things do get better. But once you're stable, 6-12 months later, you probably will still be overcorrected in anticipation of longer-term regression. The overcorrection damages your close-up vision. The younger you are, the more tolerant of such overcorrection you should be. Once you're in your 40s, you probably won't be tolerant of much overcorrection without needing reading glasses.

If there's anything I can say negative about the whole process, it was that I really didn't fully understand what presbyopia and overcorrection meant. It was so bad, ~1 month after my procedure, that I couldn't even read credit card numbers. But it did get better over the past few months as I've regressed closer to plano.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4577 posts
604 upvotes
Did it earlier this year...in my early thirties. I was not overcorrected; my eyes can still focus very well, just like before transPRK. I could read the tiny purity stamps on fine jewelry within 3 months of the surgery. Tomorrow is my 6-month appointment.

I just hope that if I have any regression, I don't lose too much of my distance vision anytime soon.
Dec 6, 2002
895 posts
45 upvotes
burnt69 wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2017 9:32 pm

If there's anything I can say negative about the whole process, it was that I really didn't fully understand what presbyopia and overcorrection meant. It was so bad, ~1 month after my procedure, that I couldn't even read credit card numbers. But it did get better over the past few months as I've regressed closer to plano.
i'm 33 . ok, i see , so what you are saying is basically that this is normal for everyone who does prk/lasik..

THAT , what you said, yeh... i think they didnt seem to explain this enough as one of the "side effects" and why they do over-correction. they went through the usual symptoms only.
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10216 posts
626 upvotes
Toronto
Just did my PRK at PLEC today. The operation was quick and painless. Dr. Lin also inserted tear plugs which he said he gives to all out of town patients (@burnt69 and @peanutz did you guys get it too?) . The only discomfort was from the eye clamps and the numbing drops (too cold). According to the technician, I was able to see close to 20/20 right off the operation table. It's been about 5 hours, and I've taken a 2 hour nap. Things look slightly blurry at the moment and it feels like I have an eyelash in my eyes. Hopefully that gets better. So they give you a schedule for drops and some will say "before bed time", does that include naps in the middle of the day? Also, I noticed some residue builds up near the inside corner of the eyes, probably due to the eye drops. How do you clean them without getting tap water into your eyes?
Oct 6, 2015
589 posts
283 upvotes
Aznsilvrboy wrote:
Jul 24th, 2017 7:33 pm
Just did my PRK at PLEC today. The operation was quick and painless. Dr. Lin also inserted tear plugs which he said he gives to all out of town patients (@burnt69 and @peanutz did you guys get it too?)
Nope. Not me. But I didn't fly to Vancouver for my treatment, and arrived a few days in advance. Prior-day air travel can be really drying.
Also, I noticed some residue builds up near the inside corner of the eyes, probably due to the eye drops. How do you clean them without getting tap water into your eyes?
I don't remember that occurring, but Dr. Lin did use what appeared to be a "Q-tip" or something to clean that out the next day. There's that BSS solution you can use as well. But I think the key is to keep your hands and unsterile objects away from the eyes. And of course, keep tap water away. If I had any residue, I think I just left it alone.

Drops-wise, you can take the lubricating drops as often as you want, and its not the end of the world if you miss an application or two (but you should try not to, since the drops greatly contribute to the comfort of the bandage contact lens!). But you need to make sure you get the required number of steroid (ie: FML) drops in the eyes daily, as well as the antibiotics.

BTW, 20/20 is amazing post-procedure. And I believe you're seen by an optometrist (Ashley, kind of with a Euro accent??) after the surgery, not a technician for the follow-up visual acuity test. Pretty utterly amazing isn't it though that, if not for having taken Ativan, that you'd be legal to drive yourself home without glasses, eh?
Last edited by burnt69 on Jul 24th, 2017 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4577 posts
604 upvotes
Aznsilvrboy wrote:
Just did my PRK at PLEC today. The operation was quick and painless. Dr. Lin also inserted tear plugs which he said he gives to all out of town patients (@burnt69 and @peanutz did you guys get it too?) .
Congrats...!

I received tear plugs because my eyes were obviously dry. The moisture will help with healing and discomfort. My brother did not.

My left eye, although the drier one, was kinda "waterlogged". I got optometrist to take them out at the 3-month mark but I think I coulda taken them out at the 2-month mark and been fine.
Aznsilvrboy wrote:
The only discomfort was from the eye clamps and the numbing drops (too cold). According to the technician, I was able to see close to 20/20 right off the operation table. It's been about 5 hours, and I've taken a 2 hour nap. Things look slightly blurry at the moment and it feels like I have an eyelash in my eyes. Hopefully that gets better. So they give you a schedule for drops and some will say "before bed time", does that include naps in the middle of the day?
Moisture drops or lubricating ointment before sleep/nap/bed time, includes naps.

Medicated drops at "bedtime" is ONLY when you're ready for sleeping at night. "Bedtime" is prescription-speak for night bedtime.
Aznsilvrboy wrote:
Also, I noticed some residue builds up near the inside corner of the eyes, probably due to the eye drops. How do you clean them without getting tap water into your eyes?
Saline drops wetting a Q-tip, or you can buy sterile eyelid wipes at a pharmacy.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)