Beauty & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2017 7:40 pm

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 187. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

52%
No

14%
Pizza is yummy

34%
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10252 posts
641 upvotes
Toronto
burnt69 wrote: BTW, 20/20 is amazing post-procedure. And I believe you're seen by an optometrist (Ashley, kind of with a Euro accent??) after the surgery, not a technician for the follow-up visual acuity test. Pretty utterly amazing isn't it though that, if not for having taken Ativan, that you'd be legal to drive yourself home without glasses, eh?
After the surgery, I was again seen by Calvin (Asian man) who introduced himself as a technician who did the pre-op tests on me.
peanutz wrote:
Jul 24th, 2017 11:04 pm
Medicated drops at "bedtime" is ONLY when you're ready for sleeping at night. "Bedtime" is prescription-speak for night bedtime.

Saline drops wetting a Q-tip, or you can buy sterile eyelid wipes at a pharmacy.
Ok, I messed up the medicated drops once then. I took 1 drop of those before I took my nap. Hopefully the one time slip will be ok. It's been about 11 hours now and I'm seeing pretty obvious halos at night. Did you guys see halos as well and did it improve over time?
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4704 posts
643 upvotes
Aznsilvrboy wrote:
Jul 25th, 2017 12:59 am
It's been about 11 hours now and I'm seeing pretty obvious halos at night. Did you guys see halos as well and did it improve over time?
Halos are expected during the healing process, because your eyes are swollen. I thought it was kinda cool.

It should go down within the next week or two. I don't have them anymore, but I still do have residual astigmatism left, so I see some starbursts (not worse than before surgery.)
Oct 6, 2015
668 posts
338 upvotes
Aznsilvrboy wrote:
Jul 25th, 2017 12:59 am
After the surgery, I was again seen by Calvin (Asian man) who introduced himself as a technician who did the pre-op tests on me.
Ah! Yeah I think I remember him too for one of the exams. It'll be a much busier office tomorrow (Tuesday!) when you go back for your appointment.
It's been about 11 hours now and I'm seeing pretty obvious halos at night. Did you guys see halos as well and did it improve over time?
Yup, I found the visuals to be pretty cool walking down the street in the dark. The traffic lights. Halos from the headlights. Daytime halos from lights from the YVR Maple Leaf Lounge the next day. Had a pretty cool "fireworks" display too when the Dr. was wiping my eye prior to applying the laser, but strangely, it was a much different experience when they did the 2nd eye (no cool 'fireworks', just things getting progressively blurrier as the laser did its business, and the smell!). I have quite deep-set eyes, and I think the Dr. struggled a lot more on the 2nd eye with something due to that.

I have no noticeable starbursting or astigmatism. I still notice, 6 months later, what I'd describe as "spherical aberration" with respect to strong point light sources (ie: streetlamps at night, LEDs in darkness). Seems to be slowly diminishing though. 20/12 combined UCVA, so might still make it to 20/10 after all. I live in a place where a large valley cuts right through the middle of the city, and I can see the traffic lights on the other side of the valley. Never could before.
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10252 posts
641 upvotes
Toronto
burnt69 wrote:
Jul 25th, 2017 9:56 pm
So @Aznsilvrboy , did any pain or discomfort end up appearing? The blur starts tomorrow, BTW.
It's the middle of my third day and I have little to no discomfort so far.
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10252 posts
641 upvotes
Toronto
Currently on day 4 post-op. Vision is blurry as hell. Was really sensitive to light yesterday and earlier today, but that seems to have subsided now. Still little to no pain besides a minor headache that lasted about 30 mins.
Oct 6, 2015
668 posts
338 upvotes
Aznsilvrboy wrote:
Jul 27th, 2017 4:07 pm
Currently on day 4 post-op. Vision is blurry as hell. Was really sensitive to light yesterday and earlier today, but that seems to have subsided now. Still little to no pain besides a minor headache that lasted about 30 mins.
It all gets better from here :). So about 2 days of downtime in total, eh?
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10252 posts
641 upvotes
Toronto
burnt69 wrote:
Jul 28th, 2017 5:23 am
It all gets better from here :). So about 2 days of downtime in total, eh?
@burnt69 @peanutz Today is day 5 (I'm counting op day as day 1) and I just woke up and vision is still blurred. I have an appointment with my optometrist tomorrow to see if the bandage contact lenses (BCL) can be removed. How long was it before your vision was mostly recovered? Would the optometrist remove the BCL if vision is still blurred?
Oct 6, 2015
668 posts
338 upvotes
Aznsilvrboy wrote:
Jul 28th, 2017 10:56 am
@burnt69 @peanutz Today is day 5 (I'm counting op day as day 1) and I just woke up and vision is still blurred. I have an appointment with my optometrist tomorrow to see if the bandage contact lenses (BCL) can be removed. How long was it before your vision was mostly recovered? Would the optometrist remove the BCL if vision is still blurred?
Your timeline appears to be a little bit extended compared to mine (but I had surgery ~11am, maybe you had yours later on in the day???). The epithelium can heal over, but the blur still remains. Things actually got worse when my BCL was removed, for a day or two.

The optometrist will remove the BCL, and then examine the epithelium for full occlusion of the ablated corneal surface with application of a topical dye, and blue light at the slit lamp. A replacement BCL will be fitted if this hasn't fully occurred (rare).

When going for your BCL removal appointment, make sure you take your full kit of medications, particularly the antibiotic drops and spare replacement contact lens, along with you.
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10252 posts
641 upvotes
Toronto
burnt69 wrote:
Jul 28th, 2017 2:03 pm
Your timeline appears to be a little bit extended compared to mine (but I had surgery ~11am, maybe you had yours later on in the day???). The epithelium can heal over, but the blur still remains. Things actually got worse when my BCL was removed, for a day or two.

The optometrist will remove the BCL, and then examine the epithelium for full occlusion of the ablated corneal surface with application of a topical dye, and blue light at the slit lamp. A replacement BCL will be fitted if this hasn't fully occurred (rare).

When going for your BCL removal appointment, make sure you take your full kit of medications, particularly the antibiotic drops and spare replacement contact lens, along with you.
I also had my surgery around 11am. Now I'm a bit worried because it's halfway through day 5 and my vision is still quite blurry.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4704 posts
643 upvotes
@Aznsilvrboy Sorry, I don't remember. I felt comfortable enough to drive around Day 10. I did not experience extra post-bandage-contacts removal blurriness.

I do remember that the instructions after removal of bandage contacts is to temporarily stop steroid eyedrops for 2 days. This will speed up the healing in this time.

My mid-distance vision, if I recall accurately, was good after ~10 days, but my longer-distance letter/numbers reading was still blurry until around the 2.5 month mark (I always checked with reading clocks around the house.)
Oct 6, 2015
668 posts
338 upvotes
peanutz wrote:
Jul 28th, 2017 11:14 pm
@Aznsilvrboy Sorry, I don't remember. I felt comfortable enough to drive around Day 10. I did not experience extra post-bandage-contacts removal blurriness.

I do remember that the instructions after removal of bandage contacts is to temporarily stop steroid eyedrops for 2 days. This will speed up the healing in this time.
My OD 'altered' these instructions as I had my BCL removed on the next Monday (a week after surgery!). So no cessation of FML at all.

I was driving on day 5 (ie: the Friday), as I visited my optometrist's clinic to personally verify that the appointment for BCL removal was still on. Don't recall any disabling blurriness. Amusingly my OD had a kind of shocked look when she briefly saw me in the office on the Friday afternoon, lol. Thinking I was either there to cancel my appointment and/or really surprised I was functioning that well after such a procedure after flying back from Vancouver.

BTW @peanutz / @Aznsilvrboy , do you know if PLEC sent anything to your O.D. for their permanent records other than what was in the envelope? Like a treatment report or anything like that? I'm personally regretting not asking PLEC for copies of my pre-op measurements, topography/pachymetry scans, etc. as part of the overall deal. I never was able to tolerate toric contact lenses, and topography might provide some clues to that. I know they provided us with pre-op refraction and corneal "K" measurements on that business card, but it seems that the whole data package might have some value down the road. If ever I try to get a pilots license, or when I need cataract surgery, and just out of personal curiosity. I know some Dr's have a liberal attitude with patient information, charts, etc., but some zealously guard them and would prefer to keep such out of the hands of non-professionals.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4704 posts
643 upvotes
@burnt69 No, I don't believe PLEC sent additional documents to my optometrist's office. They scan stuff into their computers and I haven't seen them flipping through any extra images of papers, etc.
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10252 posts
641 upvotes
Toronto
Just got back from my optometrist's office and got the BCL removed. My optometrist said my epithelium has healed (closed up) but it's still a bit rough, and I've got some haze which is why my vision is still blurry. I did very poorly on the vision test today, only being able to read the top row of very enlarged letters and only barely. She also noted my eyes are still a bit swollen as well, but overall nothing out of the ordinary. She extended my FML drop by an extra day following the BCL removal. She thinks PLEC was too optimistic about me being able to return to work just a week after surgery. I have a 2 week post-op follow up with her next Friday.

I must say I'm somewhat disappointed by the results of the transPRK with SmartSurfACE. Dr. Lin spoke very confidently when he assured me I could go back to work on Monday which now seems unlikely. I guess the back to work after 1 week thing is only in the best scenario, which makes me wonder if that is common at all and I'm just an outlier or most people take longer to recover like me? The only good things I can say about it so far is the painless surgery, and recovery process (so far), and that I was able to see pretty well off the table and next day as well, but none of that is important if I can't see well in the end.

@burnt69 I don't think PLEC sent any additional info to my optometrist's office. AI believe what was inside the envelope was everything that was provided to my optometrist.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4704 posts
643 upvotes
@Aznsilvrboy I'm sorry about that...I'm not sure what to say. I hope it improves and you are able to get back to work soon.