Beauty & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2017 9:22 pm

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 200. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

52%
No

15%
Pizza is yummy

34%
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10290 posts
652 upvotes
Toronto
burnt69 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 2:56 pm
How can you tell that you have astigmatism? Anything that shows up 'visually', or just your optometrist telling you that you have some?

Just curious. My vision looked like this at night: http://imgur.com/S28XUiy . And that completely and totally went away with the surgery. I tried toric lenses, but couldn't tolerate them, which, along with increasing contact lens intolerance, brought me to investigating my options.
If I only look with my left eye then there's a slight blur. Kind of like this, but not as severe:

My optometrist also tells me that I have some, but she expects it to improve once my left eye smooths out more and the last remaining haze disappears.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2008
4722 posts
821 upvotes
Milton
We did our first consultation with lasik md and was recommended advanced waveform surgery due to our larger than average pupil. Cost wise it would be 8k for the both of us.

Before investing with this, any other alternatives or recommendations we should be aware of?
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10290 posts
652 upvotes
Toronto
spena wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 1:15 pm
We did our first consultation with lasik md and was recommended advanced waveform surgery due to our larger than average pupil. Cost wise it would be 8k for the both of us.

Before investing with this, any other alternatives or recommendations we should be aware of?
LasikMD tend to push for Lasik procedure even though they also offer PRK. You guys should do some research on the ups and downs of each type of procedure before deciding. Personally, I don't like the flap that Lasik creates since it never really heals. To me, that's just an unnecessary additional risk for complications. That's why I opted for an all laser PRK procedure which uses a laser to evaporate the epithelium, reshapes the cornea and then let the epithelium grow back.
Oct 6, 2015
900 posts
436 upvotes
iamdman wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 8:19 pm
Anyone used or heard of Goldberg Centre Vision Correction in Toronto? Looking for feedback.

They offer LASEK which is a combination of PRK and LASIK. Perkopolis has a discount of $500.

https://www.goldbergcentre.com/services/lasek/
Website appears to indicate that they use the VISX laser platform and the AMO iDesign abberometer to develop wavefront-guided treatments on it.

The upside: The VISX laser has a great long-term track record of providing reasonable results. LASEK, which is basically a fancy form of PRK, is probably safer than LASIK which cuts a corneal flap.

The downside: The VISX laser platform is pretty old, and the abberometry-based approach, while it gets most patients to 20/16, doesn't have the best record of getting patients to 20/12 or the holy grail, 20/10. Its lack of transepithelial PRK ("transPRK") means that recovery time is going to be longer than what a bunch of us here experienced going to Vancouver and having it done on the Schwind laser with the "Corneal Wavefront" topography-guided treatment methodology with SmartSurfACE. Ocular wavefront approaches will treat lens and corneal aberrations on the cornea, which might mean a worse outcome down the road when you need cataract (ie: IOL) surgery.

I guess it all depends upon what your goals are. I don't want to say that literally everyone should seek out the latest/greatest platform and do transPRK w/SmartSurfACE, but if you have a "type A" personality like I do, and accept nothing but the best, then by all means, read the past 20-30 pages of this thread and consider doing the Vancouver thing like the rest of us.
Jul 11, 2007
62 posts
2 upvotes
iamdman wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 8:19 pm
Anyone used or heard of Goldberg Centre Vision Correction in Toronto? Looking for feedback.

They offer LASEK which is a combination of PRK and LASIK. Perkopolis has a discount of $500.

https://www.goldbergcentre.com/services/lasek/
I went there for a "consultation" and I didn't have a great experience with them. The consultation consisted of me sitting with a receptionist who showed a slideslow basically trying to show LASIK horror stories to convince you that LASEK is the way to go. Unfortunately she isn't really trained in the procedures and can't answer any detailed questions. If you want to see the doctor they ask for a $500 deposit up front to check if you're a candidate (which they don't tell you until you get there) and if you decide to walk away after that you lose the deposit. I decided not to bother with them and instead went for consultations at LASIK MD and Clearview both which seem like more reputable places and give you a free consultation. Clearview was a bit cheaper than Lasik MD for Lasik with the work perks discount, however they also offer the SMILE procedure as well which doesn't create a flap and is priced about the same as Lasik MD's Lasik.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
1569 posts
126 upvotes
roller wrote:
Aug 15th, 2017 7:15 pm
I went there for a "consultation" and I didn't have a great experience with them. The consultation consisted of me sitting with a receptionist who showed a slideslow basically trying to show LASIK horror stories to convince you that LASEK is the way to go. Unfortunately she isn't really trained in the procedures and can't answer any detailed questions. If you want to see the doctor they ask for a $500 deposit up front to check if you're a candidate (which they don't tell you until you get there) and if you decide to walk away after that you lose the deposit. I decided not to bother with them and instead went for consultations at LASIK MD and Clearview both which seem like more reputable places and give you a free consultation. Clearview was a bit cheaper than Lasik MD for Lasik with the work perks discount, however they also offer the SMILE procedure as well which doesn't create a flap and is priced about the same as Lasik MD's Lasik.
Thanks burnt69 & roller for the help!
Jan 27, 2007
227 posts
10 upvotes
no mans land
  1. What is followup schedule for PRK at PLEC? The receptionist told me 1 day, 1 week, 1/2/3/6/12 month. But I'm seeing here some people had a followup at week 2???
  2. Do you need to wear eye protection when you sleep at night?
  3. Do they do surgeries on Friday (then Saturday followup)?
  4. Do they provide all the initial drops/meds for after surgery?

Thanks.
Oct 6, 2015
900 posts
436 upvotes
meh_33333 wrote:
Aug 19th, 2017 12:31 pm
[*]What is followup schedule for PRK at PLEC? The receptionist told me 1 day, 1 week, 1/2/3/6/12 month. But I'm seeing here some people had a followup at week 2???
Yeah some people get the 2-week follow-up, some don't. If you go for a week 2 appointment, they check your IOP at such time and if you have no elevation, you get to stop the Betoptic S (pressure-reducing) medication. If you don't have the 2-week follow-up, then you have to take the Betoptic until the 1 month appointment at which time you'll be assessed for IOP.
[*]Do you need to wear eye protection when you sleep at night?
The first night they requested that I wear a set of fairly bulky plastic glasses they issued.
[*]Do they do surgeries on Friday (then Saturday followup)?
I believe this can be scheduled, but you'd have to verify with them. Monday morning, IMHO, is the most desirable time to undergo the procedure as the chances of being served in a timely fashion are the best.
[*]Do they provide all the initial drops/meds for after surgery?
They provide Toradol drops (painkiller/anti-inflammatory), preservative-free eyedrops in unit dose vials in quantities sufficient to get you through the first few days, a bottle of antibiotic drops, and a spare contact lens just in case one falls out. They also provide 2 pairs of glasses. They provide Tylenol, Ibuprofen, Gravol, and Ativan as oral medication administered in-office prior to the surgery.

You'll need to buy: FML drops, Betoptic S drops. You'll need the FML within a few hours of surgery. Betoptic not for a few days. These are prescription medicated drops.

You'll need to buy: Refresh Optive Fusion Preservative-Free eyedrops. They'll give you a coupon for this. You'll also need a product called "Lacri Lube" for lubricating the eyes once the bandage contact lens has been removed.

You'll be told to buy and take: Omega-3 Fish Oil supplements, 2000mg daily (ie: 4 capsules) for a few weeks prior to surgery, and for months after the surgery. Normal Tylenol and Ibuprofen (ie: Advil, Motrin) as needed for discomfort.

You *may* need to buy: Tylenol #3 with Codeine, and Ativan. They'll give you a prescription for these in the office. Only 11 out of 700 patients in a study of theirs actually experienced pain severe enough to use them, so you don't need to rush to the pharmacy to get these filled if you aren't experiencing pain.

So yeah, figure $150-$200 or so, to buy the meds, supplements you'll need for a few months, the preservative-free drops, the Lacri Lube, OTC painkillers, swimming goggles, etc. If you have a drug plan at work or through your province, the prescription drops probably are on their formulary for coverage in the usual fashion.

edit: although not officially prescribed, lots of people add Vitamin C to the mix, simply for general health and for another added measure of haze reduction.
Jan 27, 2007
227 posts
10 upvotes
no mans land
burnt69 wrote:
Aug 19th, 2017 4:42 pm
^^^
Amazing detail. I've read many of your posts throughout this thread and your input has been much appreciated.
Mar 27, 2011
583 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto
Hey everyone, just found this topic and I've been jumping around here and there so sorry if I missed this but, does anyone know where I can get the latest, fanciest transPRK done in toronto? I saw a bunch of mentions of pacific laser but I don't plan on going to vancouver anytime soon and I have a bit of free time right now... figured now was as good a time as any to finally get it done. I was actually about to get the custom lasik thing at LASIK MD, but after doing a bit of last-minute googling it seems like the latest PRK isn't as bad (I don't mind pain that much, but I read about not being able to really use your eyes for a month!!! of recovery time. A week I can deal with but a month is too much).

I tried googling but all results led to either the companies' websites, or this topic lol.
Oct 6, 2015
900 posts
436 upvotes
rabbitz wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 4:33 pm
Hey everyone, just found this topic and I've been jumping around here and there so sorry if I missed this but, does anyone know where I can get the latest, fanciest transPRK done in toronto?
As of the latest available research, you can't. Dr. Jeff Machat owns a laser, a Schwind Amaris 750S, that theoretically can do transPRK SmartSurfACE, but apparently the software on it has not been updated to support that feature.

But I'd certainly encourage you to contact him and ask him if he is going to upgrade.
I saw a bunch of mentions of pacific laser but I don't plan on going to vancouver anytime soon and I have a bit of free time right now... figured now was as good a time as any to finally get it done.
When me and @peanutz went, our all-in costs were similar to having it done in Toronto locally. That is to say, even after paying for transportation, 2 nights of hotel, and local follow-up, our cost was similar to what the premium clinics in Toronto charge. Plus we got a bit of a vacation out of it as well.
I was actually about to get the custom lasik thing at LASIK MD, but after doing a bit of last-minute googling it seems like the latest PRK isn't as bad (I don't mind pain that much, but I read about not being able to really use your eyes for a month!!! of recovery time. A week I can deal with but a month is too much).
Yeah transPRK SmartSurfACE has minimal down-time, very similar to LASIK, and only 11 out of 700 sequentially treated patients during the investigational trials required anything stronger than straight Tylenol or Ibuprofen. Highly advantageous over older style PRK.

Having said that, if you don't want to do Vancouver, hopping on VIA to the clinic in Montreal that does it is perfectly acceptable as well.

http://www.laservue.ca/en

Verify with them directly that they have the SmartSurfACE upgrade, but their website seems to imply that they do. Even if not mentioned by name (just makes reference to "smooth surface"!). "$1200 to $1800 per eye".
Mar 27, 2011
583 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto
ok I just got a reply from laservue, they don't use SmartPulse (SmartSurfACE)

"In response to your questions:
Yes we do TransPRK in selected cases.
All of the Schwind Amaris platforms are the same except for pulse frequency. We use the 500 Hz because all of the studies establishing the nomograms were done with this.
We do not use the SmartPulse as there is little evidence that it yields better results"

Any rumours of SmartSurfACE transprk coming to toronto in the near future? haha
Oct 6, 2015
900 posts
436 upvotes
rabbitz wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 2:26 pm
ok I just got a reply from laservue, they don't use SmartPulse (SmartSurfACE)
Darn, that sucks... Too bad they haven't been educated as to the efficacy of the upgraded software. :(.

There's an outfit in Winnipeg and one in Calgary too that do SmartSurfACE, but I think once you compare the pricing and the logistics, if you really have your heart set on SmartSurfACE, Vancouver's PLEC is probably where its at.
Aug 21, 2005
899 posts
386 upvotes
Toronto
Going in next week to PLEC to get it done... Any last minute pieces of advice for speedy recovery/safe post-operative navigating?

Also, PLEC said 7 days for BCL removal but my optometrist said he can do it as such, but typically he checks at 5 and it's fine... Did anyone here (burnt69? peanutz? aznsilvrboy?) do the full 7? Does PLEC actually care?