Beauty & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2017 9:13 pm

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 196. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

51%
No

15%
Pizza is yummy

34%
Mar 27, 2011
582 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto
Ah thanks for the info everyone! I'm in my mid 20's and fortunately I've stopped wearing contacts for years now (I might wear them once every 6 months or so when I want to wear sunglasses as well lol) so I should be ok for all that. I also went for the free consultation at LASIK and they said I had thick corneas and was a good candidate for any procedure. Unfortunately I don't think they'll let me take my results to PLEC and I don't really have a relationship with any optometrists in the area.

So just to confirm, I need an optometrist who can test for cycloplegic refraction and can remove the bandage contact lens 5-7 days after the procedure (1 week checkup) plus another checkup at 2 weeks (along with whatever other "standard" tests optometrists usually give?). Can anyone in Toronto recommend / refer me to a good optometrist? I have a lot of free time in the next two weeks to get the checkup done :)

edit: Also, how blurry is blurry? The whole trip is going to be one of those walking around in malls / eating trips so perfect for healing but I might need to drive a bit, would it be ok to drive down to seattle for example? If not, I might want to go to seattle earlier in the trip and do PLEC right after.
Oct 6, 2015
808 posts
413 upvotes
rabbitz wrote:
Sep 4th, 2017 7:45 am
Ah thanks for the info everyone! I'm in my mid 20's and fortunately I've stopped wearing contacts for years now (I might wear them once every 6 months or so when I want to wear sunglasses as well lol) so I should be ok for all that. I also went for the free consultation at LASIK and they said I had thick corneas and was a good candidate for any procedure. Unfortunately I don't think they'll let me take my results to PLEC and I don't really have a relationship with any optometrists in the area.
Well ask your friends, find one. If you have documentation of your previous prescriptions, great. If not, then take your old pairs of glasses with an approximate timeframe of when they were prescribed, if you know, to the optometrist.
So just to confirm, I need an optometrist who can test for cycloplegic refraction and can remove the bandage contact lens 5-7 days after the procedure (1 week checkup) plus another checkup at 2 weeks (along with whatever other "standard" tests optometrists usually give?).
Yeah every optometrist can do cycloplegic refractions. But its just not a standard thing that an optometrist would do on a stable moderately myopic patient.
edit: Also, how blurry is blurry? The whole trip is going to be one of those walking around in malls / eating trips so perfect for healing but I might need to drive a bit, would it be ok to drive down to seattle for example? If not, I might want to go to seattle earlier in the trip and do PLEC right after.
Yeah definitely don't get yourself into a situation where you absolutely *must* drive for the first week. Going to Seattle should be prior to PLEC. Night driving especially can be pretty sketchy for the first month too. You should use public transit or taxis/friends in Vancouver.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4860 posts
736 upvotes
rabbitz wrote:
So just to confirm, I need an optometrist who can test for cycloplegic refraction and can remove the bandage contact lens 5-7 days after the procedure (1 week checkup) plus another checkup at 2 weeks (along with whatever other "standard" tests optometrists usually give?). Can anyone in Toronto recommend / refer me to a good optometrist? I have a lot of free time in the next two weeks to get the checkup done :)
Mid-20's is pretty young/borderline, I may be wrong but I believe some people's eyes keep growing albeit slowly through this decade i.e. some chance of regression? Please discuss or ask about that with any optometrist or laser eye clinic. If so, it *may* be worthwhile for you to consider a local clinic who is willing to do "free touchups" for life. I guess you could ask about PLEC's policy as well, I did not ask; I just assumed that all other costs being similar, a touchup due to regression is a lower correction and therefore will be relatively cheaper anyway...

I'll PM you with my west-end clinic if you want to call and ask.

BTW, I have heard from acquaintances that optometrists' appointments can get quite booked in December since a lot of people try to cram in their vision benefits before the end of the year. So if you do end up doing the Vancouver thing, have your appointments booked ahead of time and lined up.

I recall my PLEC recommended followups were:
Day 1
Day 5-7 for BCL removal
(my clinic recommended the 2-week but I decided to skip it since I was doing fine anyway)
Month 1
Month 2
Month 3
Month 6
Month 12 coming up...
rabbitz wrote:
Let's not plan for driving in the 7 days post-surgery for sure, even if you end up being able to "kind of see". Why risk it...it's your safety and others', plus if it's uncomfortable then you'll have to ditch your plans. Do Seattle first.
Oct 6, 2015
808 posts
413 upvotes
peanutz wrote:
Sep 4th, 2017 1:21 pm
Mid-20's is pretty young/borderline, I may be wrong but I believe some people's eyes keep growing albeit slowly through this decade i.e. some chance of regression?
A good history is probably even more important in a younger patient than an older one, to plan overcorrection if needed.
Please discuss or ask about that with any optometrist or laser eye clinic. If so, it *may* be worthwhile for you to consider a local clinic who is willing to do "free touchups" for life. I guess you could ask about PLEC's policy as well, I did not ask; I just assumed that all other costs being similar, a touchup due to regression is a lower correction and therefore will be relatively cheaper anyway...
I think PLEC's "policy" is quoted somewhere in the website, first year free (ie: if they don't get you to target initially), and then a 'facility' fee thereafter. Of course, the Dr's won't be in practice forever. I think a 20-something-year-old today that is being treated by any clinic, who may need an eye re-treated in their 40s (often only a single eye would be re-treated, for monovision), should expect to pay the full surgical fee. Even at a clinic that offers "lifetime" free re-treatments.
Let's not plan for driving in the 7 days post-surgery for sure, even if you end up being able to "kind of see". Why risk it...it's your safety and others', plus if it's uncomfortable then you'll have to ditch your plans. Do Seattle first.
It might not even be legal to drive until one has been certified as having appropriate uncorrected visual acuity by their optometrist. Per the restrictions that most myopic glasses wearers have on their license.
Last edited by burnt69 on Sep 4th, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10279 posts
650 upvotes
Toronto
Guess I was pretty lucky with my pre-op exam with my optometrist. I didn't have to go back for the cycloplegic refraction test. I'm at 6 weeks post-op now and finally done with most of the eye drops, except the lubricant, in addition to the Lacrilube and Omega-3 fish oil. Apparently the punctal plug in my right eye fell out weeks ago and I just found out last week when I went for my 1 month check up. It hasn't bothered me at all since I think I don't really have dry eyes that much. On the other hand, the punctal plug in the left eye is really bothering me because whenever I roll my eye around, it causes a lot of discomfort. My optometrist said it was popping out a bit but couldn't fix it for some reason, but only pushed it back in slightly . I asked my optometrist if now would be a good time to remove it but she recommended staying put for another month so.
Dec 2, 2010
27 posts
3 upvotes
Waterloo
I hope this is the right place to post...

I was scheduled for my lasik procedure with Dr. Keon Nia; however, after some research I didn't feel comfortable with him doing the procedure. I have requested Dr. John Lloyd to be my surgeon (He performed my wife's lasik last week and she only has good things to say about him), but unfortunately it delays my lasik procedure for a couple of weeks. Not going to lie, I am kind of excited to stop wearing glasses, so I was looking at other surgeons at LASIK MD in Mississauga and Toronto (downtown) area. My second choice would be Dr. Mounir Bashour.

I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with Dr. Mounir Bashour (and/or John Lloyd and Dr. Nia) because I don't want to die.
Jun 20, 2009
27 posts
For those that had the post op care done by your optometrist as opposed to by the clinic, how much did that cost?
Oct 6, 2015
808 posts
413 upvotes
kirby333 wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 3:23 pm
For those that had the post op care done by your optometrist as opposed to by the clinic, how much did that cost?
$115/visit @ 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month, 2 months, 3 months, 6 months, and 1 year. For SmartSurfACE PRK with Dr. Lin in Vancouver.
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10279 posts
650 upvotes
Toronto
kirby333 wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 3:23 pm
$600 for 7 appointments.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2005
4364 posts
1043 upvotes
doesn't seem like there's a lot of love in this thread for Bochner. Maybe I should be concerned lol
Thanks RFD for:

-Koodo $48 MB Plan 5GB
Oct 6, 2015
808 posts
413 upvotes
BenK wrote:
Sep 20th, 2017 12:51 pm
doesn't seem like there's a lot of love in this thread for Bochner. Maybe I should be concerned lol
I wouldn't be. They have a great reputation and the equipment to get the job done. Recovery from a Bochner PRK won't be as quick or as painless as a SmartSurfACE procedure (ie: at PLEC as has been discussed heavily in the past few dozen or two pages of this thread), but the end results should be similar.
Mar 17, 2017
15 posts
Brampton
Guys - I am 41 yrs (@ -7.5) and looking for PRK or lasik correction. Reading through this threads, did not find any good center in Toronto area(esp PRK). On google, found out TLC laser ( Yonge eglington). Any feedbacks on them ? thanks..
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1010 posts
79 upvotes
GTA
BenK wrote:
Sep 20th, 2017 12:51 pm
They have a long standing reputation and lots of PR doing procedures for professional athletes, i.e. the Jays. My optometrist swears by them too.
I did not have my procedure done by them but I went there for an assessment. What I didn't quite like about the place was that the assessment procedures seemed to be shorter than any of the other clinics I went to (TLC, Herzig) and the person who reviewed my results and recommended a procedure was not even an optometrist. Bochner seemed to be the least thorough of the clinics I visited, at least for their assessments. I'm confident their surgeons are more than capable however.
GauravK936618 wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 5:38 pm
Guys - I am 41 yrs (@ -7.5) and looking for PRK or lasik correction. Reading through this threads, did not find any good center in Toronto area(esp PRK). On google, found out TLC laser ( Yonge eglington). Any feedbacks on them ? thanks..
I went for an assessment at TLC and was quite pleased. I didn't get the procedure done by them though, so can't speak to that.
Oct 6, 2015
808 posts
413 upvotes
zyphere wrote:
Sep 30th, 2017 10:23 pm
They have a long standing reputation and lots of PR doing procedures for professional athletes, i.e. the Jays. My optometrist swears by them too.
I did not have my procedure done by them but I went there for an assessment. What I didn't quite like about the place was that the assessment procedures seemed to be shorter than any of the other clinics I went to (TLC, Herzig) and the person who reviewed my results and recommended a procedure was not even an optometrist. Bochner seemed to be the least thorough of the clinics I visited, at least for their assessments. I'm confident their surgeons are more than capable however.
I might add something to this conversation -- sometimes clinics will, to the thousands of patients who walk in off the streets and see them, do a relatively superficial quick up-front assessment, and then, at later stages of commitment to a procedure, perform, either by themselves, or with a co-managing optometrist, a thorough assessment.

A full assessment, including dilation, topography, pachymetry, refractions, etc., may cost a clinic $80-$100 in professional time. "top" clinics with doctors who spend their time on some of the tougher cases (Bochner for instance) may not be as thorough on the pre-op assessment to everyone who walks in off the street, but through co-management, and their on in-house day-of-surgery evaluations, provide the same, if not sometimes better quality screening. Additionally by having a 3rd party optometrist involved, there's an extra set of eyes with less conflict-of-interest looking at your case and determining your suitability.

One thing I liked about PLEC is that there were no sales attitude amongst the staff, no credit programs offered, and eligibility for surgery was determined by the treating doctor himself. Compare and contrast this against with some clinics which subject potential patients to a 'sales pitch'.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)