Beauty & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2017 6:33 pm

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 186. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

52%
No

15%
Pizza is yummy

34%
Oct 25, 2008
293 posts
80 upvotes
Seems to me like there's a lot of talk about PLEC here, I guess they are the leading choice?

I am about to go for some form of PRK and my Optometrist recommended London Eye Center which he described as "typically the better value".

From what i'm reading in this thread it seems like PLEC's recovery is better but end result should be the same if I choose to go with London, right?
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4689 posts
640 upvotes
jcss wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 12:43 pm
I am about to go for some form of PRK and my Optometrist recommended London Eye Center which he described as "typically the better value".

From what i'm reading in this thread it seems like PLEC's recovery is better but end result should be the same if I choose to go with London, right?
From what I read of outcomes, yes, so far there is no evidence of any difference in long-term results.
Oct 25, 2008
293 posts
80 upvotes
peanutz wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 12:51 pm
From what I read of outcomes, yes, so far there is no evidence of any difference in long-term results.
thanks peanutz, your posts on this topic have been very informative. in my earlier optometrist appointment he only did the tests required for London Eye Center and when I asked him about PLEC he said I'd have to come back in for additional tests. My optometrist is pretty expensive ($110~ a visit) so I am not a huge fan of this.

I was wondering when you did your procedure did you only consider/get quotes from PLEC? I was hoping for some sort of rough price comparison... I'm pretty high prescription (-8.50/-9.00).

While I could comfortably afford either one I do not want to waste money if the end result is the same.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4689 posts
640 upvotes
jcss wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 1:24 pm
thanks peanutz, your posts on this topic have been very informative. in my earlier optometrist appointment he only did the tests required for London Eye Center and when I asked him about PLEC he said I'd have to come back in for additional tests. My optometrist is pretty expensive ($110~ a visit) so I am not a huge fan of this.
Booo... he shoulda done all required so you could decide on the clinic later.
jcss wrote:
I was wondering when you did your procedure did you only consider/get quotes from PLEC? I was hoping for some sort of rough price comparison... I'm pretty high prescription (-8.50/-9.00).

While I could comfortably afford either one I do not want to waste money if the end result is the same.
This is understandable.

This year, I got a quote from PLEC in Vancouver and CCV in Toronto. CCV/Toronto was quoted as $4800 for me. PLEC was about $1000 cheaper than CCV, so putting in the cost of flight, hotel, meals, it was about the same and that's why I went with PLEC.

I did not ask about London Eye Center because I specifically wanted Schwind's trans-PRK. However, LEC probably would have been cheaper than PLEC, I just don't know by how much.

I just quickly Googled this discussion, maybe it will help:
https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/comm ... ondon_eye/
Oct 6, 2015
653 posts
319 upvotes
jcss wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 12:43 pm
Seems to me like there's a lot of talk about PLEC here, I guess they are the leading choice?

At London, you're treated on the VISX Star S4 which will be a ocular wavefront-guided treatment.

At PLEC, you're treated with the Schwind Amaris 1050RS, which is a corneal topography-guided treatment.

There are some key differences that can determine your short and long-term outcome visual acuity. The topography-guided approach is also more tissue efficient.

If you have large pupils (more commonly found on people with light coloured eyes), the VISX is limited to a 6.5mm custom treatment diameter. The Schwind laser used by PLEC can go all the way to 9.8mm. This will affect the quality of your night vision if you have large pupils.

SmartSurfACE (http://www.schwind-smartsurf.de/en/) has some advantages in terms of recovery time as well, reduced risk of haze, etc.

London does their follow-up in-house (they give you a discount if you go for co-management, but its not enough $$ to cover the cost of co-management). PLEC does co-management with all of their patients.

Here is an example of a patient treated at LVC, who now has halos after his PRK:

http://www.isthisyourhomework.com/halos ... prk-lasik/

Treatment at PLEC with the wider treatment diameter would have avoided this problem. The blogger could have a re-treatment at PLEC, but it would cost him the entire PLEC surgical fee. I'm sure the surgeons at LVC are great people, skilled and competent at what they do, just that their equipment isn't as good as PLEC.
Oct 6, 2015
653 posts
319 upvotes
jcss wrote:
From what I've seen, you would be looking at $3900-$4200 for such prescription. The range is ~$3100 for the easiest prescriptions, to ~$4200 for the most difficult. + pre-op, and 7 co-management optometrist appointments (~$880 @ $110/appointment), + $200 in supplements, prescription and non-prescription drops*. So all-in, getting your treatment done at PLEC would probably cost around $5400 or so + travel to Vancouver if you do not live there.

At London, if you use their in-house follow-up, they charge ~$3000 for the whole package (all drops, follow-up, etc. included), and don't charge you extra for a higher prescription. Coal Harbor is even cheaper.

So there is a considerable premium to being treated by PLEC.

* the prescription drops and meds are usually covered by prescription drug coverage at your employer.
Oct 2, 2017
3 posts
1 upvote
I'm getting close to committing to Smart Surface at PLEC for later this fall. I'll write more later about prescription, concerns, etc. Quick question: I can get to/from Vancouver from Seattle with a 2.5 hour drive or 4 hour bus. I will probably plan on bus back on the day after surgery, even though personal reports are that vision on the 2nd day is pretty good. I would like to have the 1 week check and bandage contact lens removal in Vancouver. Is vision usually good enough to drive, one week out? Does the bandage contact lens disrupt vision such that it's likely to be worse after removal (for a while) than before removal?
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4689 posts
640 upvotes
VinceInSeattle wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 8:21 pm
I would like to have the 1 week check and bandage contact lens removal [back] in Vancouver. Is vision usually good enough to drive, one week out? Does the bandage contact lens disrupt vision such that it's likely to be worse after removal (for a while) than before removal?
I don't know what is "usual", but I didn't feel comfortable to drive 7 days out from surgery. I mean, you'll be able to see major objects like cars and road, but I like being able to see and read signs from a distance and my sight personally I was not confident doing that within a week UNLESS it was only local city roads for e.g. grocery shopping.

For me, the 10-14 day mark was better if I were to chance freeways.

If you're able to book bus tickets like 1-2 days before the 1-week follow-up, then perhaps you should wait until you can personally decide how you feel about your vision.

Personally, I'd rather take the bus to relax and rest, so there's no pressure or stress or conscience tugging at me possibly being a hazard on the road.
Oct 6, 2015
653 posts
319 upvotes
VinceInSeattle wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 8:21 pm
I'm getting close to committing to Smart Surface at PLEC for later this fall. I'll write more later about prescription, concerns, etc. Quick question: I can get to/from Vancouver from Seattle with a 2.5 hour drive or 4 hour bus.
The train (Amtrak) is fun to take too from Seattle to Vancouver. Puts you right at a Skytrain station, which you can take to the City Hall-Broadway station, which is a stone's throw from PLEC and various hotel options with medical rates for your mandatory overnight stay.
I will probably plan on bus back on the day after surgery, even though personal reports are that vision on the 2nd day is pretty good. I would like to have the 1 week check and bandage contact lens removal in Vancouver. Is vision usually good enough to drive, one week out?
My vision went downhill quite a bit directly after the bandage contact lens was taken out a week after surgery. The BCL masks epithelial roughness. When it comes out, visual acuity goes downhill for a few days. For what a co-management optometrist would charge, the cost of your round-trip gas, etc., my personal opinion would be to just get it done locally.
Does the bandage contact lens disrupt vision such that it's likely to be worse after removal (for a while) than before removal?
Yes, the BCL helps vision and actually has a slight prescription associated with it to help with close-up vision. Agree with @peanutz , I wouldn't drive or get yourself into a position where you're forced to drive, *especially* if there's any chance you'd be stuck in a situation where you have to drive at night. Just because you can see well enough on an eye chart to drive right after the procedure doesn't mean that you'll be comfortable, even psychologically, with your new vision. Let's just say its a....surreal experience. Dare I admit I was a bit emotional after having it done, a strange cross between elation, paranoia in anticipation of severe PRK pain, and disbelief. Don't think driving would have been a good idea so I went shopping instead :).
Oct 2, 2017
3 posts
1 upvote
Thanks for your responses! My optometrist for the last couple of years has been in a Costco, and their office doesn't want to co-manage surgery. So I figured I would go back up to Van for the 1 week check, and have my eyes looked at by people who really know what they're looking for. I could make it up and back by bus in a day, or go the day before and stay the night. Since the 1-week check is included in the PLEC fee, it's a near-wash on cost. It all depends on timing and what my wife is doing that weekend. I'll consider the train, although it costs more. Never taken the train to Vancouver but I have to and from Portland. Very comfortable but the on-time performance is terrible, maybe better in the other direction.
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10250 posts
640 upvotes
Toronto
I'm just over 2 months since my TransPRK surgery and it's been okay so far, but for the past 2 weeks, my eyes have been a bit itchy at times. Not sure why this is happening. Neutral Face
Oct 6, 2015
653 posts
319 upvotes
VinceInSeattle wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 11:51 am
Thanks for your responses! My optometrist for the last couple of years has been in a Costco, and their office doesn't want to co-manage surgery.
You're going to need 5-6 additional follow-up appointments per the contract that PLEC requires you to sign as a condition of undergoing treatment. So proper co-management is mandatory. This is an issue you will need to resolve on your end, presumably by seeking out an optometrist that will willingly agree to a co-management arrangement. The Costco one, unfortunately, is losing out on valuable business, but that's their choice. PLEC may be able to refer you to a willing co-management optometrist in Seattle if you cannot find one on your own.
Oct 6, 2015
653 posts
319 upvotes
Aznsilvrboy wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 11:49 pm
I'm just over 2 months since my TransPRK surgery and it's been okay so far, but for the past 2 weeks, my eyes have been a bit itchy at times. Not sure why this is happening. Neutral Face
Still taking the Omega-3 supplements? PLEC's official guidance ends after the 2 months is up (except for the wearing of sunglasses), but I personally am still taking Omega-3 supplements 9 months later, although at reduced doses.
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10250 posts
640 upvotes
Toronto
burnt69 wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 1:13 am
Still taking the Omega-3 supplements? PLEC's official guidance ends after the 2 months is up (except for the wearing of sunglasses), but I personally am still taking Omega-3 supplements 9 months later, although at reduced doses.
Yep, twice a day with meals.
Jan 2, 2011
137 posts
24 upvotes
Hi RFd need your recommendation.

As an airline pilot what procedure and clinic would you recommend!? Im in the GTA but can travel if need be!