Beauty & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2017 9:13 pm

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 196. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

51%
No

15%
Pizza is yummy

34%
Oct 22, 2017
16 posts
15 upvotes
I actually had a consult with LASIK MD and after seeing how they operate and, as others have mentioned, how sales-y they are I decided that my money would be better spent on a place that had the reputation and that my own optometrist had their eyes done at. Again, you wont find many Optometrists trusting their eyes to LASIK MD. The was probably my biggest reason to book at Crystal Clear Vision / Nvision Toronto. After doing the research and having the consult, I was very impressed on how professional and thorough they were with testing. I can't speak highly enough about them. LASIK MD is your standard direct to consumer type of place. They also have the biggest share of the market but they also offer very old techniques like micro keratome blades to do lasik which, I don't know... anyone using that technique doesn't necessarily believe in using the best technology if they are literally offering it up to patients that don't want to cough up the price for the safer and more precise all laser techniques.

I will let everyone in on a secret. If you do book with CCV/NVISION, let them know you were shopping around. After letting them know I went to multiple places they were delighted that I was an informed patient and chose them as my final choice. I also mentioned how a friend of mine had surgery there (quoted their name, they verified) and they happily offered me a $100 discount off the final price, which I took obviously but your mileage may vary on this. At first I wasn't sure if I should post it on here but considering how much I use red flag deals to find great offers and get advice on my personal decisions, I thought i'd sign up and provide my experience on something that some of us might be considering. $100 isn't much but they happily offered it to me. I'd say, if you are going in there to get surgery, just say you have a friend named Justin Law who had surgery there and talked about how great it was and that I recommended the place... Hopefully that works?? Let me know if it works! Good luck!
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4863 posts
738 upvotes
JustinLaw wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 2:57 pm
I'd say, if you are going in there to get surgery, just say you have a friend named Justin Law who had surgery there and talked about how great it was and that I recommended the place... Hopefully that works?? Let me know if it works! Good luck!
Thank you for all your information and taking the time to share with us your experience. Do you promise that you have no incentives or kickbacks for a reverse-referral? That is my only concern with a blanket endorsement through strangers on the internet.

I would independently trust Dr. Machat based on his reputation in his field, my personal dealings via e-mail with CCV, and with the general knowledge of the technologies/procedures they offer. But for the safety and independence of others who would be deciding...
Oct 22, 2017
16 posts
15 upvotes
I wish I got something :( you can buy me something if you'd like :) but the way it was explained to me was that usually they give a small discount like this to patients who refer their friends and family. I think it's just something nice they do for friends and family but you really do have to mention the name of someone who actually had surgery? At one of the other places (not going to name who) they told me that if I got surgery and posted a review online they would treat me to movie tickets which I thought was pretty shady and wondered if they would still give them to me if the review was bad lol.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4863 posts
738 upvotes
JustinLaw wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 3:28 pm
I wish I got something :( you can buy me something if you'd like :) but the way it was explained to me was that usually they give a small discount like this to patients who refer their friends and family. I think it's just something nice they do for friends and family but you really do have to mention the name of someone who actually had surgery? At one of the other places (not going to name who) they told me that if I got surgery and posted a review online they would treat me to movie tickets which I thought was pretty shady and wondered if they would still give them to me if the review was bad lol.
lol...appreciate you sharing. (Movie tickets...for the other place. lol.) OK, so I guess they have a referral system but it is small.

I got my surgery at PLEC but I would have no qualms directing GTA people to give CCV/Dr. Machat a try and get a consult, because I believe in the technology. And no flaps. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Oct 22, 2017
16 posts
15 upvotes
peanutz wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 3:45 pm
lol...appreciate you sharing. (Movie tickets...for the other place. lol.) OK, so I guess they have a referral system but it is small.

I got my surgery at PLEC but I would have no qualms directing GTA people to give CCV/Dr. Machat a try and get a consult, because I believe in the technology. And no flaps. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
NO FLAP REVOLUTION!
Jun 7, 2007
533 posts
109 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I'm very interested in PRK, and more on TransPRK/SmartSurface due to the fact that it's a newer tech that uses touchless. At first I was going to just go for LASIK, but after reading about the flap not healing, it got me a bit worried even though I know it seals itself pretty well, generally. However since I do play sports once in a while, especially softball, I'm scared that a miss throw to my eye area would cause a flap dislodge. I know this sounds paranoid, but what is like the chances of a dislodge happening. A better question I suppose is, how severe of an impact on average does it have to be to the eye that the flap may dislodge?

More questions regarding PRK and SmartSurface PRK:
What is the recovery time for you guys?
Can you explain a bit of like your first 5-7 days, is it like you can't see clear at all, or just far distance you see blurriness?
Were you still able to see your phone or computer screen in the first week?
For my work I'd have to stare at the computer screen 95% of the time, would it be a burden to read things or is it just I'd get tired from staring too long?

Also, after reading from JustinLaw that SmartSurface PRK is used at Crystal Clear Vision/Nvision, I booked an appointment on Nov 20 for a consultation. Hope I can use your name as a referral for some extra discount :)
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4863 posts
738 upvotes
25jai wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 12:32 am
Can you explain a bit of like your first 5-7 days, is it like you can't see clear at all, or just far distance you see blurriness?
Just far distance is a bit blurry, for like 14-21 days, (depending on how quickly you "heal".)

I could use my phone and computer screen in the first week, except it was a bit blurry at days 3-4 (they want you resting your eyes a lot in this time, anyway.) This is around the time when the baby epithelium is healing over the ablative zone, but allegedly still a bit chaotically organized.
25jai wrote:
For my work I'd have to stare at the computer screen 95% of the time, would it be a burden to read things or is it just I'd get tired from staring too long?
You should be able to read things on computer on Day 1-2 and Day 7 onward, but your eyes may get a bit tired until the healing is at least at 2 weeks. I was using the computer a lot by this time.
Oct 6, 2015
810 posts
415 upvotes
25jai wrote:
I'm very interested in PRK, and more on TransPRK/SmartSurface due to the fact that it's a newer tech that uses touchless. At first I was going to just go for LASIK, but after reading about the flap not healing, it got me a bit worried even though I know it seals itself pretty well, generally. However since I do play sports once in a while, especially softball, I'm scared that a miss throw to my eye area would cause a flap dislodge. I know this sounds paranoid, but what is like the chances of a dislodge happening. A better question I suppose is, how severe of an impact on average does it have to be to the eye that the flap may dislodge?
I don't know if its so much a question of 'impact', but rather, how much of the force is applied to the cornea, and is it done in such a way as to create a shearing action. Softball is probably a lower risk activity, but it is impossible to envision all of the potential scenarios under which one might possibly have trauma to the eye, and whether such scenarios would cause a flap dislocation.

Flap dislocation is a rare side effect, but is a medical emergency which must be dealt with in a timely fashion by an ophthalmologist with suitable equipment. In some cases, a flap dislocation, even if treated in a timely fashion, may require additional laser surgery to repair optical aberrations arising from such.

PRK is elegant, in that, it avoids the flap altogether, so you're never worrying about your eyes other than standard precautions that a person with virgin untreated eyes would need to take. The traditional downside of PRK has been pain and haze, but SmartSurfACE in particular minimizes such. In my case, I only took Tylenol and Aleve (naproxen) on the first night, with no narcotic pain medication being required (or even desired) despite having access to such prescriptions. Most other PRK procedures leave patients in pain such that most will take prescribed narcotic and sleeping medication, and even use topical anesthetizing drops (which aren't even offered to SmartSurfACE patients as nobody needs them!).

Also, PRK avoids other potential LASIK complications such as epithelial ingrowth, flaws in flap creation, bruising from the suction ring associated with flap creation, striae (micro-folds in the flap), and is easier to re-treat if something were to be flawed with the procedure. Dry eye is apparently less with PRK than LASIK.
I experienced 2 days in which working on a laptop was not comfortable in total. Days 3 and 4.
It was very blurry close-up on days 4. I had 20/25 vision directly after surgery and pretty good vision the day after surgery. I went shopping the afternoon after a morning surgery, went out for lunch, used the laptop computer, could have watched TV, etc. Went for dinner with friends in the evening.

After the bandage contact lens was removed, I actually had more difficulty seeing close-up, then I did in the distance. I could see very well in the distance, but couldn't read my credit card numbers to book a flight over the phone!! This is because with PRK procedures, patients are deliberately over-corrected in anticipation of both short-term regression as well as longer-term regression. Over the past 10 months, my near vision has improved considerably due to regression.
Yeah you get ghosting and such for the first week or two. Its not comfortable to work at a computer, but not impossible to do so for occasional purposes. If your job absolutely requires you to spend all of the time looking at the computer, then you probably should take a full 2 weeks off. If you just use a computer incidental to other tasks, then returning to work a week later shouldn't be an issue.

You do need a clean place and access to good sanitation to do your drops.

I'd wait a few weeks before planning on driving at night. I had the surgery on a Monday morning and was comfortably day-time driving by Friday. Officially pronounced 20/20 a week after surgery.
peanutz wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 12:51 am
(they want you resting your eyes a lot in this time, anyway.)
I don't recall being given any advice, written or otherwise, to 'rest' my eyes at all. I was only given advice along the lines of avoiding introduction of bacteria, and the importance of keeping the BCL properly lubricated for comfort. One of the more frightening aspects of the surgery pre-procedure was the prospect of wearing the same disposable soft contact lens for a week! In hindsight not an issue, but after suffering from years of contact lens discomfort wearing them >12 hours a day, the prospect of wearing one for 7 days straight was scary! But the lubricants and FML steroid kept everything quite comfortable. I kept my drops refrigerated as well for extra soothing.
Oct 22, 2017
16 posts
15 upvotes
I was looking at my phone first day and it was super blurry but I could see it up close fine. Arms length was very difficult. Its focusing that's going to make it difficult because your eyes are swollen a bit. I'd try not to do anything straining on your eyes but yes you can definitely see. By the 3rd day I was driving but again things were blurry but was feeling pretty dandy. If you end up booking with CCV/NVISION make sure you get some "comfort drops" they mix some numbing solution with regular drops and it helps with the irritation (feels like gritty ness under the eye for the first day or two). But I used it whenever I wanted some relief before bed and it helps a lot. It was also free so just make sure you get a small bottle and use it sparingly because once its out its out. Hope that helps!
Jun 7, 2007
533 posts
109 upvotes
Richmond Hill
JustinLaw wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 9:26 am
I was looking at my phone first day and it was super blurry but I could see it up close fine. Arms length was very difficult. Its focusing that's going to make it difficult because your eyes are swollen a bit. I'd try not to do anything straining on your eyes but yes you can definitely see. By the 3rd day I was driving but again things were blurry but was feeling pretty dandy. If you end up booking with CCV/NVISION make sure you get some "comfort drops" they mix some numbing solution with regular drops and it helps with the irritation (feels like gritty ness under the eye for the first day or two). But I used it whenever I wanted some relief before bed and it helps a lot. It was also free so just make sure you get a small bottle and use it sparingly because once its out its out. Hope that helps!
These are good info. Thanks peanutz, burnt69, and JustinLaw. I will take these info into account when I do my consultation.

Are those "comfort drops" the same as the steroid drops that you are supposed to take, or they are something extra? What are the steroid drops that they required? Are those the MMC that you guys always refer to? According to the Bochner consultation I did, the lady said the steroid drops are also needed for LASIK but at a much shorter duration. Is she correct or not?
Oct 6, 2015
810 posts
415 upvotes
25jai wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 11:55 am
Are those "comfort drops" the same as the steroid drops that you are supposed to take, or they are something extra?
Sounds like 'comfort drops' refers to "dilute tetracaine", a diluted version of the numbing drops they use for surgery. These are routinely provided by most PRK practitioners, but not by PLEC. They are for emergency use only, as use of the drops will delay one's healing. Abuse of such drops can cause permanent opacification of the cornea.

SmartSurfACE produces less pain than most other PRK's, so that is why PLEC was able to, with confidence, not provide them for patients. I presume as Dr. Machat gains experience doing SmartSurfACE, that he will eventually stop providing such drops to his patients as well. When PLEC did its initial trials for SmartSurfACE, of 700 patients treated, only ~11 took 2nd line medication (Tylenol w/Codeine).

What are the steroid drops that they required? Are those the MMC that you guys always refer to?
In my case, fluorometholone 0.1% ophthamalic solution, often referred to as FML. Steroid therapy *requires* that your eye pressures be monitored periodically as in a small chunk of the population, some people are what are known as "steroid responders". There may be also other side effects of steroid therapy depending on other medical conditions. Its nothing to be worried about if taken under medical supervision.

MMC is an anti-haze agent that the surgeon briefly applies to the cornea, on a sponge, directly after PRK surgery. It helps to minimize haze.
According to the Bochner consultation I did, the lady said the steroid drops are also needed for LASIK but at a much shorter duration. Is she correct or not?
Yes, but usually for LASIK, the steroid drops are just for a few days. Steroid use of such durations requires little medical supervision.

The supervision for steroid therapy is no big deal; they just need to check your pressures, on that air puffer machine, at your follow-up appointments. And adjust your medications if there is a problem. PLEC (for example), goes to extremes, for example, prescribing an anti-pressure medication to be taken for the first few weeks until it can be verified that you are not a steroid responder.
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10279 posts
650 upvotes
Toronto
25jai wrote:

Also, after reading from JustinLaw that SmartSurface PRK is used at Crystal Clear Vision/Nvision, I booked an appointment on Nov 20 for a consultation. Hope I can use your name as a referral for some extra discount :)
Took me about 10 days to have decent vision and comfortable enough to drive. First two days had a lot of halos and starbursts at night, but decent vision overall (I could still use my laptop and text on my phone). Followed by very blurry vision for the next 5 days or so. It was hard for me to use the computer at arms length and I literally had to stick my face into the monitor and squint my eyes to make out any letters. I also stare at the computer screen 95% of the time at work and I just took 10 days off before I went back to work.
Jan 2, 2011
145 posts
25 upvotes
I called Nvision in Toronto. Dr Machat only does surgeries there a couple times a month.

Does anyone know where else he might be doing surgeries with the same smartsurface PRK?

Feel free to PM me.

Would 10 days be sufficient for heavy computer use. (Ie. 8hrs/day) in your opinions?
Oct 6, 2015
810 posts
415 upvotes
learsid wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 2:33 pm
I called Nvision in Toronto. Dr Machat only does surgeries there a couple times a month.
Does anyone know where else he might be doing surgeries with the same smartsurface PRK?
Feel free to PM me.
Would 10 days be sufficient for heavy computer use. (Ie. 8hrs/day) in your opinions?
The laser itself isn't exactly portable, and there's only one of them as far as we know in the GTA. Perhaps other surgeons are using the same laser in the office? Call them to find out, or just find a day that Dr. Machat is doing surgeries on the particular laser you want (the Schwind Amaris w/SmartSurfACE for instance) and plan accordingly. The laser and overall process is so fast that a surgeon can probably treat 20 patients per day.
Depends if you're absolutely required to use the computer or not. An air traffic controller or, for instance, a stock trader, can't really decide that they're going to take more frequent breaks, or slow down their activity -- they *must* be infront of a computer screen all the time, and can't really alter their activities, in the short term, to reduce their computer use. An engineer, doctor, lawyer, pharmacist, who may use a computer significantly but can alter their activities would probably cope a lot better.

10 days out, I still had a bit of ghosting. I could still work on a computer, but it wasn't comfortable to do heavy work on it. But who knows, you might be perfectly fine and able to tolerate such.