Beauty & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2017 9:13 pm

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 196. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

51%
No

15%
Pizza is yummy

34%
Jan 2, 2011
144 posts
25 upvotes
Thanks so much!

Also since you guys had your surgery in Vancouver you did all your follow ups in your home town?

Nvision in Toronro wants all follow ups to be done at your own optometrist.

They want you to visit your optometrist at day 1,2,3. Week 1. Month 1. Month 3. Month 6. Month 12.

That is 8 visits in first year which optometrist charges ~$100/visit.
Oct 6, 2015
808 posts
413 upvotes
learsid wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 3:02 pm
Also since you guys had your surgery in Vancouver you did all your follow ups in your home town?
PLEC required follow-up at Day 1, day 5-7, 2 weeks, 1 month, 2 months, 3 months, 6 months, and 1 year.

The Day 1 follow-up with PLEC is mandatory. The day 5-7 follow-up can optionally be at PLEC or your own optometrist. The subsequent follow-ups are with your own optometrist.
Yes, the term for this is "co-management".
They want you to visit your optometrist at day 1,2,3. Week 1. Month 1. Month 3. Month 6. Month 12.
Yeah, a day 2 and day 3 follow-up seems excessive though. A next day follow-up was included at PLEC, as well as the 1-week follow-up/BCL removal.
Yeah, sounds about right.

BTW, you were the airline pilot, right? You have a legal obligation to report your refractive surgery to Transport Canada, and you will be medically disqualified from flying until you are tested and approved accordingly.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/ ... ery-75.htm
Last edited by burnt69 on Nov 2nd, 2017 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 2, 2011
144 posts
25 upvotes
Thx for the information! Yep Transport Canada will be made aware. They are very open to the procedure.
Oct 22, 2017
16 posts
15 upvotes
learsid wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 3:02 pm
Thanks so much!

I don't think that is correct. I had my PRK surgery done there, and i was sent back to my optometrist for all the exam visits after but you definitely don't pay for anything. CCV told me that part of the cost i was paying will be sent to my optometrist and that will cover the care of me from Day 1, Day 3(they removed my contact lense bandage), Week 1, Month 1, Month 3, Month 6. I'd probably have CCV/NVISION call your optometrist and make sure they know that they shouldn't be charging you.

also the 12 month i had to pay for, that was the only one that isn't covered as it is an annual eye exam and my work plan covered it anyways.
Jan 2, 2011
144 posts
25 upvotes
Thanks Justin. They didn't say they would cover optometrists charges but I also didn't ask specifically. What is the total price there ballpark? LasikMD is $4000
Jan 27, 2007
227 posts
10 upvotes
no mans land
I just wanted to contribute to this wonderful thread with my own experience. I've been following this thread for many years now, but delayed my surgery until I did more research and got older. 6 months ago my friend got Lasik done at LasikMD and it triggered me to make a decision on whether to get PRK or not. I read some horror stories and decided the (very small) risk wasn't worth it. So I went to my optometrist to update RX and buy new contacts/glasses. He brought up the idea of laser eye surgery and basically said most issues happen when people don't take care of themselves after surgery. I was sold.

I did some more reading, but knew it was PLEC or nothing as the posters here have done much deeper research than I would have been able to do. I booked my appointment on the tail end of my vacation in BC. My eyes were -6 with some astigmatism and they charged me $3500.

Before surgery Dr.Lin asked how I had found out about their practice and I said redflagdeals. He didn't know what it was (come on guys!) and I was a little disappointed and gave a quick explanation. The Ativan they gave me right before surgery made me a little giggly. Surgery was really easy (just stare at light) although they initially had some trouble getting the speculum into my eyes as my eyes were "deep set."

The day after surgery a technician checked my eyes on the chart. I had great difficulty seeing but he said I was basically 20/20 (lol, okay). Next I saw Dr.Lin (super nice and laid back). He checked some things and said everything looked great and to leave a review in 3 months (ie. full heal time). He put some lubricant in my eyes and told me to look out the window. I could see a lot better. You’ll need a lot of those single dose lubricant mims. They’re supposed to be only used once, but all the doctors/technicians/optometrists say you can put the lid back on and use it again. I would say within 12 hours.

I also received a letter to give to my optometrist and made a copy for myself. When my optometrist removed my BCL one week later, he didn’t put in the antibiotic drops or lube in afterwards (as mentioned in the letter). He also didn’t measure my eye pressure at each visit (as mentioned in the letter). I wasn’t too happy about those things.

After PLEC's own 1 day follow-up, the follow-up schedule PLEC recommends is week 1, month 1, month 2, month 3, month 6, year 1. However my optometrist wanted to see me at week 1, 2, 3, and 4. It’s my eyes and he’s the professional so I said why not. He only charged $75 per visit and only charged me twice for my first 4 visits (small town vibes). After week 4 visit, he said he'll seem me at month 3.

Week 1 and 2: You can live a semi-regular life as I went out for lunch, Granville island, went to a dinner party, and fly back within the first few days. The less time you spend outside the better. But life was very difficult if I needed to spend any time of my phone or computer (or TV but I don't really watch much). I had to be inches away from the screen could only spend a minimal amount there. There were also some days where you don’t feel like you’re getting better and it’s tough on the psyche.
Week 3: I could live the rest of my life like this and returned to work. At this follow-up I complained to my optometrist about the dryness at work (heavy airflow) and not wanting to use Lacrilube there because of it’s difficulty in application and the greasy look it gives your eye area. So he gave me sample of Liposic and it worked great. I also BBQ'd with glasses but regretted doing so.
Week 4: My vision was 20/30

I cannot stress the importance of lubrication. The more you lube the better, and be generous. At one point the directions are to switch Lacrilube from morning and night to just night, and lubricant drops from every 2 hours to 4 times per day. I made to the switch as directed but it was way too soon for me. So I continued to use Lacrilube for another week and used lubricant before my eye became dry many times throughout the day.

I’m very happy overall. I expected things to go slow, especially since Dr.Lin said to leave a review after 3 months (and pilots or air force take 4 months off??? after this surgery). The only thing that was unexpected was how good I could see at night when driving really quickly.

Negatives: they don't respond to emails for weeks, visually their clinic needs updating (it was off putting during my first visit when I saw their chairs, carpet, boxes stored in examinations rooms, etc.), I wish they gave me post-op procedure well beforehand so I was more ready for the drop schedule

Happy to answer any questions!
Oct 6, 2015
808 posts
413 upvotes
meh_33333 wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 7:01 pm
Happy to answer any questions!
That's great. Yes, next few months, if you're anything like me, you'll sort of struggle with dry eye. But I think I was off the unit dose preservative free lubricants as soon as I was off the steroid drops, 2 months out. Still used the ointment for another month, and spent another 6 months on the Omega-3 supplements, but now I'm completely off of everything. So in total I used a box and a half of the Refresh Fusion Optive drop vials.

Personally I found the viscosity of the Systane Nighttime PM to be more comfortable and less greasy than the Lacri Lube.

Night vision keeps getting better. I even think I've improved over the past month.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4859 posts
734 upvotes
@meh_33333: Enjoyed your post!
meh_33333 wrote:
Before surgery Dr.Lin asked how I had found out about their practice and I said redflagdeals. He didn't know what it was (come on guys!) and I was a little disappointed and gave a quick explanation.
muahahaha. Don't be disappointed. ;) I hope this gives you confidence that at least burnt69 or I are not shills.
meh_33333 wrote:
After PLEC's own 1 day follow-up, the follow-up schedule PLEC recommends is week 1, month 1, month 2, month 3, month 6, year 1. However my optometrist wanted to see me at week 1, 2, 3, and 4. It’s my eyes and he’s the professional so I said why not.
The schedule you describe, of PLEC's, is the same one I got. My optometrist also recommended a 2-week visit but I skipped it because I'm cheap and I trust PLEC's recommended schedule.

Please have someone carefully re-read the notes PLEC enclosed about the follow-up schedule. If I recall correctly, the 2-month visit was very important, as by this time the steroid drops will have been tapered off and you are supposed to be at risk of rebound haze.

I don't really approve your optometrist sort of imposing his/her own schedule. PLEC said they used to recommend the 2-week followup and then found that it wasn't particularly necessary so they took it off. I would believe the ophthalmologists/surgeons at PLEC know as well, or better, than your optometrist as to the importance of a 2-month visit; meanwhile the 3-week visit seems superfluous. Disappointed But Relieved Face
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10279 posts
650 upvotes
Toronto
Went for my 3 months post-op follow up today. Was measured 20/25 in left eye with 0.75 astigmatism and pretty much 20/20 (minus 1 letter) in right with 0.50 astigmatism. My optometrist recommended me to keep using the Refresh eye drops a couple of times a day as it gets drier in the fall/winter, especially with the heat on. She noted that the haze is pretty much all gone now, and my eyes aren't dry for the most part. In general, both day and night vision are great. No halos, starbursts or anything.
Oct 6, 2015
808 posts
413 upvotes
Aznsilvrboy wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 9:36 pm
Went for my 3 months post-op follow up today. Was measured 20/25 in left eye with 0.75 astigmatism and pretty much 20/20 (minus 1 letter) in right with 0.50 astigmatism.
Just to clarify, was that your astigmatism (ie: "cylinder") number or sphere? 0.75 astigmatism seems pretty high, IMHO., but a 0.75 sounds about right for the amount of overcorrection you should have on a sphere basis.
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10279 posts
650 upvotes
Toronto
burnt69 wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 10:37 pm
Just to clarify, was that your astigmatism (ie: "cylinder") number or sphere? 0.75 astigmatism seems pretty high, IMHO., but a 0.75 sounds about right for the amount of overcorrection you should have on a sphere basis.
Here's the prescription I got today:

OD: Pl (sphere), -0.50 (cylinder), 175 (axis)
Oct 6, 2015
808 posts
413 upvotes
Aznsilvrboy wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 10:42 pm
Here's the prescription I got today:

OD: Pl (sphere), -0.50 (cylinder), 175 (axis)
(Schwind Amaris 1050rs 3-month follow-up data)

That's interesting, basically ending up with 0.75 cylinder is rare at 3 months. If you're not having any symptoms of astigmatism (ie: starbursting), then I bet the numbers for cylinder and sphere were accidentally reversed. I know when I had -0.75 astigmatism @ 180, I definitely noticed it.
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10279 posts
650 upvotes
Toronto
burnt69 wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 11:33 pm
(Schwind Amaris 1050rs 3-month follow-up data)

That's interesting, basically ending up with 0.75 cylinder is rare at 3 months. If you're not having any symptoms of astigmatism (ie: starbursting), then I bet the numbers for cylinder and sphere were accidentally reversed. I know when I had -0.75 astigmatism @ 180, I definitely noticed it.
Yea it sounded a little high to me as well, but I verbally confirmed it with the optometrist. It is -0.75 astigmatism. But she said my slight farsightedness "balances" it out. Not sure what that means, but on a day to day basis, I have no issues reading with my left eye.
Oct 22, 2017
16 posts
15 upvotes
CCV/Nvision was 5100, but i got a 100 discount so it was 5000. In the area they were the lowest priced of the top 3 centres (CCV, Herzig and Bochner). TLC is similar price as Herzig and LASIK MD was the cheapest at around $4000 but its my eye balls and I'm fairly young at 30 so i still got a lot of use in them still so i really wanted to best tech to ensure i was getting the best. That was why i ultimately went with CCV/Nvision, nobody else had their lasers which were the best including the whole SmartSurf tech, it just made more sense. It's like buying a TV, would you go with 4K if you were buying a TV or tech from a decade ago (before 1080p).

Also the whole situation with your OD charging you for visits shouldn't happen. I was with my friend who had surgery at CCV as well and she said no i didn't have to pay for my post operative exams because CCV co-managed my care with them, just like mine i guess. They were essentially given money by CCV to cover the cost of my care. If your OD is co-managed and is charging you after the fact, theyre doing some shady stuff and i'd probably ask CCV to send you to one of the ODs they recommend. Just a thought and would likely save you a tone of money not to mention they probably know who the best optometrists are in the area. hopefully that helps?
Oct 2, 2017
11 posts
6 upvotes
I've been reading the Lasik Complications Facebook group and I must say the stories there are concerning. I am trying to tell myself that these are the 100 people with the worst outcomes out of millions of laser surgeries performed. But still. Any comments? Did it shake any of you guys before you had surgery?