Beauty & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2017 8:10 am

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 200. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

52%
No

15%
Pizza is yummy

34%
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4943 posts
778 upvotes
@VinceInSeattle Thank you for sharing your decision and reasons. I think you have made the right choice for your situation. :)
Oct 6, 2015
897 posts
435 upvotes
VinceInSeattle wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 11:51 am
I had my pre-op exam yesterday with a local optometrist, and based on that, I decided to cancel my scheduled PRK surgery.
Sounds like a good choice. I was a quite concerned reading your posts that you were not professionally and appropriately advised on the whole monovision issue, and that, in the absence of a proper trial by an optometrist, you may have been operated upon in such a way that would not have met your goals.

Modern contact lenses are nothing like they were in your 20s though, so definitely don't shy away from a proper monovision trial. Even if you abandon excimer surgery completely, a monovision trial will still be something useful if you go with the IOLs at a later date.

IOL surgery is remarkably safe, almost nobody goes blind from it :).
Nov 5, 2009
33 posts
5 upvotes
learsid wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 2:43 pm
On aside note I called LASIK MD why they didn't dilate my eyes on my consult or require it before exam date like the other 3 Clinics I visited. They said they don't for people under 45 or non-diabetic or appear to have healthy eyes. But said if I want to come in and get it anytime before my surgery I can. Which is what I am going to do.
Good call. Dilation allows the optometrist to see behind your eyes to identify any issues, such as having holes in your retina - which I think is pretty important to know, especially before an eye surgery. Most annual eye exams with your optometrist should include dilation.
Oct 11, 2017
10 posts
13 upvotes
I had all-laser Wavefront Lasik from LasikMD and here is my 1 month post op update :

So things have been great thus far, especially glad that my dry eye has gone away to almost pre-op baseline, which is phenomenal. Over the last few weeks my vision has fluctuated slightly, as in, one eye may be more blurry than the other for a couple of hours before settling down etc. My night vision has improved as well, but I still see some starbursts/halos when I'm driving, but nothing that impedes vision or even annoys me at this point.

My check up went well, the flap is perfect without any complications (good news as I have caught myself rubbing my eyes since the third week onwards). I was told that I still have some swelling which should subside in a few more weeks and is responsible for the halos and mild fluctuations I've experienced. Also, turns out I'm 20/15! I hope it only gets better, or at least stays the same.

I also had this different tech confirm that the Contura T-CAT setting is normally reserved for patients with asymmetrical corneas or other pre-existing conditions. My topo maps were brought up on the screen and she described my eyes as being quite ideal and symmetrical which is why they decided to go with the Wavefront. Now I am pretty sure I read "F-CAT" on the screen, I am wondering if that is just code for Wavefront or if it has any other significance. I was also told that they don't 'over correct' for no reason, and that I was corrected to the dot based on my prescription. I also found out that the machine removed about 100 microns of corneal tissue from each eye, so I'm left with ~420.

When I asked for a copy of my paperwork I was met with a resounding "no", as they aren't considered "medical records" and just information from the machine. I wonder if I could do an ATIP request to get my hands on them at some point ...
learsid wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 2:43 pm
On aside note I called LASIK MD why they didn't dilate my eyes on my consult or require it before exam date like the other 3 Clinics I visited. They said they don't for people under 45 or non-diabetic or appear to have healthy eyes. But said if I want to come in and get it anytime before my surgery I can. Which is what I am going to do.
Hi, FYI I had my eyes dilated during my pre-op, and I am non-diabetic and under 45. I also got tested for dry eyes and the works. Curious, which clinic did you visit?
Oct 6, 2015
897 posts
435 upvotes
publicmanservant wrote:
Nov 19th, 2017 11:46 am
I also had this different tech confirm that the Contura T-CAT setting is normally reserved for patients with asymmetrical corneas or other pre-existing conditions. My topo maps were brought up on the screen and she described my eyes as being quite ideal and symmetrical which is why they decided to go with the Wavefront. Now I am pretty sure I read "F-CAT" on the screen, I am wondering if that is just code for Wavefront or if it has any other significance. I was also told that they don't 'over correct' for no reason, and that I was corrected to the dot based on my prescription. I also found out that the machine removed about 100 microns of corneal tissue from each eye, so I'm left with ~420.
One technique that is taught to surgeons is to compare a WFO to the T-CAT treatment during treatment planning. If they're identical (or nearly so), then they select WFO, and save the extra royalty fee ($200 or so) associated with using T-CAT.

So you probably were just shown the T-CAT screen in the treatment planning software, where topography capture was being performed/analyzed.

If you're happy with your results, I don't see the point of pestering them for any additional paperwork other than your pre-op refraction and K values, which they should provide to you and be retained indefinitely. But certainly the output of the machine would be retained on your record with them, and would comprise your 'medical records'.
Jun 7, 2007
551 posts
113 upvotes
Richmond Hill
So I did my consultation with Nvision today, and they were very thorough with their exams. I would say they did more than what my bi-annual eye exam at my regular eye doctor does. The eye doctor who was checking my eye was pushing more towards LASIK than PRK, however I told her that I preferred more on the PRK procedure they have at their clinic. Everything they had was great, but there was one thing that bothered me that is different than other clinics I have been to. Their life time warranty, on a financial point of view, seems a bit odd. If I were to need a touch up if my vision has regressed, it would be $500 per eye to do an enhancement after the first year. @JustinLaw or anyone who had a consultation at Nvision, did they inform you about this when you did your consultation?
Oct 6, 2015
897 posts
435 upvotes
25jai wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 12:27 pm
So I did my consultation with Nvision today, and they were very thorough with their exams. I would say they did more than what my bi-annual eye exam at my regular eye doctor does. The eye doctor who was checking my eye was pushing more towards LASIK than PRK, however I told her that I preferred more on the PRK procedure they have at their clinic. Everything they had was great, but there was one thing that bothered me that is different than other clinics I have been to. Their life time warranty, on a financial point of view, seems a bit odd. If I were to need a touch up if my vision has regressed, it would be $500 per eye to do an enhancement after the first year. @JustinLaw or anyone who had a consultation at Nvision, did they inform you about this when you did your consultation?
PLEC has a similar fee, and typically when one would do an enhancement, it would often only be on a single eye, the dominant eye, even if both eyes have regressed. Your typical patient is getting it at the age of 30-35, so regression a decade later would be accompanied by presbyopia.

My feeling about such a fee is that a clinic needs to be financially viable for the long term, including that of succession planning when surgeons, with 30 years in the business, such as Dr. Machat, Dr. Lin, Dr. Holland, etc., retire. Re-treatments are more technically demanding and difficult than primary treatments from the doctor's point of view. A busy doctor who offers true no-fee re-treatments may find at the end of their careers, that a disproportionate number of patients are actually free re-treatment patients, not primary cases. Nobody, let alone a younger surgeon, would want to buy such a clinic and take it over to honor the warranties. So the clinic would simply go bankrupt, and those with warranties would end up with nothing.

Also a fee reduces the number of people who may want a re-treatment just for the sake of taking advantage of it because it is 'free' even if their regression is relatively minor (ie: say my 20/12 regresses to 20/25, for example!). The fee somewhat deters that.
Nov 5, 2009
33 posts
5 upvotes
25jai wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 12:27 pm
If I remember correctly, Herzig has a similar fee/cost to do an enhancement if it's been more than 3 years since your surgery.
Oct 22, 2017
21 posts
17 upvotes
NVISION's Lifetime commitment as they call it is free, it's included. There is no fee so long as you go to your optometrist every year to make sure your eye is still healthy. I'd ask for a copy of your visit inorder to have proof you have been doing it to ensure you can provide proof if you need it.
Jul 21, 2006
936 posts
153 upvotes
for LASIK MD can you go to any optometrist or through them for follow ups?
Oct 6, 2015
897 posts
435 upvotes
stratux wrote:
Nov 24th, 2017 3:17 pm
for LASIK MD can you go to any optometrist or through them for follow ups?
http://www.lasikmd.com/toronto/what-to- ... he-surgery
http://www.lasikmd.com/toronto/our-surg ... -your-area
LASIK MD wrote:You may also have a LASIK MD co-managing optometrist or your own eye care professional to perform these post-operative examinations. However, this may entail additional costs that are not covered by LASIK MD.
Generally, if you use co-management, you should expect to receive a discount off of the 'normal' price of a surgery which includes follow-ups.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2004
9249 posts
699 upvotes
RFD
MyNameWasTaken wrote:
Nov 24th, 2017 5:41 pm
Still one of the best decisions I've ever made. I love being glasses free
I should be doing this sooner rather than later, but can never committ, glasses are a PITA. Love your username Face With Tears Of Joy
Jun 7, 2007
551 posts
113 upvotes
Richmond Hill
JustinLaw wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 12:22 pm
NVISION's Lifetime commitment as they call it is free, it's included. There is no fee so long as you go to your optometrist every year to make sure your eye is still healthy. I'd ask for a copy of your visit inorder to have proof you have been doing it to ensure you can provide proof if you need it.
Hm, that's not what she told me during the consultation, the technician that did my cornea mappings and other exams using machines initially. It could also be that she has only worked there for 1 month?
Did your technician specifically said that it was free for touch ups as long as you do your annual checkup with your optometrist? She told me that but will be 500 per eye after the first year, and only free within the first year for touch up.
Oct 22, 2017
21 posts
17 upvotes
Hi, when did you go for your consultation?

I know before the Nvision name change happened the warranty was different but after the name change it's now free for life. I think maybe you misheard her? They did specifically tell me that if you don't do your annual checkups with your optometrist then yes you will have to pay the $500 per eye fee, but so long as you do them it's free for life for touch ups/enhancements.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

xg3