Beauty & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2017 9:22 pm

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 200. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

52%
No

15%
Pizza is yummy

34%
Dec 1, 2017
11 posts
3 upvotes
Thanks for the responses! After reading more about the procedure, I guess I'll be picking between transPRK and Wavefront Lasik, depending on what they say. SMILE seems too early a technology for me.

From what I read, Intralase technology is now outdated and SmartSurfACE is much better with the software update. Independent of surgeons, which clinic has the best tech? Or which equipment is state-of-the-art?

25jai wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 9:59 pm
I think you guys are mistaking Dr. Machat performing procedures at Clearview, but rather at NVision (formerly Crystal Clear Vision).
I think so, I checked the website. I have a meeting booked with Clearview and Herzig, should I still go to NVision for the consultation?
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4950 posts
780 upvotes
25jai wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 9:59 pm
I think you guys are mistaking Dr. Machat performing procedures at Clearview, but rather at NVision (formerly Crystal Clear Vision).
tgreen2017 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 11:07 am
Thanks for the responses! After reading more about the procedure, I guess I'll be picking between transPRK and Wavefront Lasik, depending on what they say. SMILE seems too early a technology for me.

From what I read, Intralase technology is now outdated and SmartSurfACE is much better with the software update. Independent of surgeons, which clinic has the best tech? Or which equipment is state-of-the-art?

I think so, I checked the website. I have a meeting booked with Clearview and Herzig, should I still go to NVision for the consultation?
Oh dear. Yes I meant Crystal Clear Vision --> NVision led by Dr. Machat. WTF I'm sorry.
Oct 6, 2015
899 posts
436 upvotes
tgreen2017 wrote:
The Schwind Amaris is the newest excimer laser platform on the market. Given that the platform that the long-term leaders in laser refractive surgery use (ie: Dr. Seiler, Dr. Lin, Dr. Machat, Dr. Tan, etc., etc.), its pretty safe to say that its state-of-the-art.

If you want to go the SmartSurfACE route, then Dr. Machat is the only surgeon (that we know of) in Toronto who can offer this. Otherwise its a trip to Vancouver/Calgary/Edmonton/Winnipeg.
Jun 7, 2007
551 posts
113 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I was looking at artificial tears since the clinic told me to buy them, and they recommended either Refresh Plus or Systane. I looked at Costco and they didn't have Refresh Plus (had Refresh tears or something), but they had Systane and this Bion tears specifically said for laser eye surgery, same as Refresh plus from googling. Which ones do you guys recommend, or is there no difference? Which ones do you guys use currently?
Oct 22, 2017
21 posts
17 upvotes
tgreen2017 wrote:

I AM +1 to NVISION (CCV). They are definitely the only ones in Ontario with the SCHWIND Amaris. Herzig is using a much older laser and yes Bochner is even older. They were one of the first in the area to invest in femto lasers when they originally came out and guess what... they haven't updated. Ouch.

I had the SmartSurfACE procedure done in the summer at NVISION and i was driving by the 3rd night but yes it is much faster healing then traditional PRK. Definitely go in there and book a consult. I wouldn't even bother with the others if you want the latest tech and procedure. I, just like you, shopped around and one i learned about the new tech, it made my decision quite simple.

Also they include a lifetime warranty as well, enhancement are no cost and they don't charge you extra for the warranty.
Oct 6, 2015
899 posts
436 upvotes
25jai wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 11:56 am
I was looking at artificial tears since the clinic told me to buy them, and they recommended either Refresh Plus or Systane. I looked at Costco and they didn't have Refresh Plus (had Refresh tears or something), but they had Systane and this Bion tears specifically said for laser eye surgery, same as Refresh plus from googling. Which ones do you guys recommend, or is there no difference? Which ones do you guys use currently?
I used the Refresh Optive Fusion Sensitive Preservative-Free.

https://www.refreshoptive.ca/en/optive-fusion-sensitive <-- coupon at the link

If I handled the vials carefully (ie: opened them facing up), I would get ~2.5 bilateral applications per vial. Kept them refrigerated for extra soothing.

Don't know if there was any science behind my surgeon's recommendation for those drops, other than, surgeons from the clinic have received 'support' from Alcon and Allergan. At the very least, the use of a preservative-free formulation in individual unit-dose vials is a must.
Dec 5, 2017
1 posts
25jai wrote:
Bion Tears!
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4950 posts
780 upvotes
25jai wrote:
If you're using more than 4 times a day:
- Refresh Optive Fusion preservative-free
- Systane Ultra preservative-free

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... th-8-1419/

- "Soothe" is also known as "Moisture Eyes" by Bausch & Lomb but it only comes in dropper bottle therefore max 4 times a day.
- Liposic is an oily drop.

I'm still just using the Refresh Optive Fusion but I might want to use the Liposic at night...sometimes I wake up a bit dryish.
Oct 6, 2015
899 posts
436 upvotes
peanutz wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 5:14 pm
If you're using more than 4 times a day:-
I had a few samples of preserved drops kicking around, and I tried one a few months after surgery. Ouch, terribly painful! Maybe post-LASIK patients can tolerate preserved drops because of their reduced corneal sensitivity, but at least with the PRK I had, the stinging was awful. My advice would be to stick to preservative-free even if you only need once or twice a day, unless you're sure you can tolerate the preserved ones. For the few bucks you save though, hardly seems worthwhile.

Staying on Omega-3's long-term and even overnight Lacri-Lube / Systane Nighttime (IMHO, Systane Nighttime is better than Lacri-Lube) mostly allowed me to minimize use of drops and still maintain adequate comfort and tear film/visual quality in the period after "official" guidance from the surgeon ended.
Nov 21, 2014
190 posts
80 upvotes
Atlantic
JustinLaw wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 12:48 pm
I AM +1 to NVISION (CCV). They are definitely the only ones in Ontario with the SCHWIND Amaris. Herzig is using a much older laser and yes Bochner is even older. They were one of the first in the area to invest in femto lasers when they originally came out and guess what... they haven't updated. Ouch.

I had the SmartSurfACE procedure done in the summer at NVISION and i was driving by the 3rd night but yes it is much faster healing then traditional PRK. Definitely go in there and book a consult. I wouldn't even bother with the others if you want the latest tech and procedure. I, just like you, shopped around and one i learned about the new tech, it made my decision quite simple.

Also they include a lifetime warranty as well, enhancement are no cost and they don't charge you extra for the warranty.
What was your RX before surgery?
Oct 22, 2017
21 posts
17 upvotes
EasyCompany251 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 12:48 pm
What was your RX before surgery?

If I can remember correctly, it was
-0.25 with -1.75 astigmatism
-0.25 with -1.25 astigmatism
does that make sense? lol
Dec 1, 2017
11 posts
3 upvotes
So per recommendation, I checked out Herzig and Nvision.
Herzig: they recommended me to undergo Smile, saying Dr. Herzig has been performing it for the past 2 years and like the results for higher prescription patients.
NVision: I went in and asked about all the different procedures. It turns out they don't do Smile anymore because Dr. Machat isn't impressed with the results. The ophthalmologist I was talking to said that the technology is too early, and unlike Wavefront or SmartSurface, it only corrects for your main prescription but doesn't account for the other deviations (much like normal Lasik). She initially wanted me to get Lasik, but with my dry eyes, she recommended PRK with SmartSurface instead. She also gave me Restasis, this prescription eyedrop that induces tears, and recommend Hylo as a lubricant eyedrop.

Overall, NVision was great. The fact that they do (or did) all the different forms of surgery makes me think that they're not biased. Unlike Lasik MD, who wanted me to get the Lasik asap, they recommended me to not wear contacts and go through a dry eye recovery plan before getting PRK, which I also really appreciate.

I do want to read a bit more on Smile though (If anyone has any other concerns/praise about SMILE or SmartSurface let me know!), but I've booked my surgery with NVision next month.
Oct 6, 2015
899 posts
436 upvotes
tgreen2017 wrote:
Dec 9th, 2017 3:41 pm
I do want to read a bit more on Smile though (If anyone has any other concerns/praise about SMILE or SmartSurface let me know!), but I've booked my surgery with NVision next month.
I've probably written 20+ posts about SmartSurfACE, nearly everything glowingly positive. With dry eyes, you'd be insane to go for LASIK, and PRK recovery is so much quicker/less painful with SmartPulse/SmartSurfACE, than it is with the more conventional methods.

Sounds like you're on the right track with being properly pre-treated for dry eye. It is very important both for PRK recovery, and for proper topography capture prior to the surgery that dry eye be adequately controlled.
Dec 1, 2017
11 posts
3 upvotes
Interesting. I understand that NVision has the Schwind 750rs instead of 1050rs in PELC. I go to Vancouver multiple times a year and it's not a hassle for me - should I get it there?
Oct 6, 2015
899 posts
436 upvotes
tgreen2017 wrote:
Dec 9th, 2017 4:02 pm
Interesting. I understand that NVision has the Schwind 750rs instead of 1050rs in PELC. I go to Vancouver multiple times a year and it's not a hassle for me - should I get it there?
There's no meaningful differences between the lasers. If you do fly, make sure you have a few days on the ground to let your eyes re-hydrate after the airplane flight. If you're going already, it might be slightly cheaper to do it in Vancouver. I think @peanutz found the all-in costs (procedure, hotel, etc.) between Vancouver and Toronto (I think he/she's GTA-based) including the plane ticket, to be nearly identical, so taking the plane ticket out of the equation might swing things $500-$700 in your favour.

If you want to use it for a tax deduction/credit, you may have a harder time making a case for the travel expenses though, given that the same procedure is available in Toronto. Of course when I (and peanutz) had the surgeries, there was no equivalent treatment available anywhere else in North America, so justifying the travel expense claim to the CRA may theoretically be easier.

Since they're helping you on the dry eye and all that, I'd be personally inclined to just do it locally. "Just in case" you show up at the clinic, for example, and your eyes aren't quite good enough dry-eye-wise, there won't be an unnatural 'push' to treat you that day.