Beauty & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 25th, 2018 1:07 pm

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 219. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

53%
No

14%
Pizza is yummy

33%
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1300 posts
684 upvotes
25jai wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 2:13 pm
NVision has me on lotemax (steroid) drops for 4 times a day for first month, and then 3 for second, 2 for third, and 1 for 4th month. My eye doctor was kind of suspicious on this prescription/dosage because she's had PRK patients doing it for 4 times first week, and 3 next week and so on.
Yeah that's legit, just as long as its a taper. Dr. Lin had us off steroids at 2 months, which seems to have worked out, but they must be tapered.
However, she's never had transPRK patients before so I'm her first and last time for my check up she said she will talk to Dr. Machat about it. Speaking of steroid drops, my eye doctor said my eye pressures have gone really high, and she suspects I'm reacting from the steroid drops.
This is serious and needs to be followed up ASAP.
Prior to surgery she said I was at 16-17mmHg, and typically patients who did laser eye surgery would drop to 12-13mmHg, respective to what my initial eye pressure was. After the first week I was at 20mmHg, so she prescribed me another drop to put on every morning to lower the pressure.
Yup, something like Betoptic S? Or theres a bunch of others. They might change your steroid therapy, to get you off of it sooner. With SmartSurfACE especially, because its less traumatic and heals faster, there might be an argument for even shorter courses of post-procedure steroid therapy.
Jun 7, 2007
596 posts
192 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I'm on timolol ophthalmic (Timoptic). She's telling me to keep dropping this while I'm on the drops. Since I'm not on the steroid drops permanently, this is just for temporary precaution. On week 2 I had an extra follow up and the eye pressure has gone down to 15mmHg.
Aug 21, 2005
904 posts
388 upvotes
Toronto
peanutz wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 2:32 pm
Thank you for sharing. I'm reading the coupons as $9 for either the Refresh Optive 10mL bottles, or the Refresh Plus preservative-free vials.

The Refresh Optive preservative-frees cost a bit more and may be excluded from this promotion.
Ah, that makes sense! I did manage to get the pharmacy to adjust the price, but I think they were a little confused about the wording as well.

Any idea if the preservative-free aspect of the drop is crucial when you're 4+ months post-surgery?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
5701 posts
1106 upvotes
lynn24 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 2:43 pm
Any idea if the preservative-free aspect of the drop is crucial when you're 4+ months post-surgery?
Not crucial at all unless you're using the drops in the eyes more than 4 times day, or allergic/sensitive to the preservatives. Preserved eye drops should be used 4x or less a day.

I'm currently using these daily:
https://www.hydrasense.ca/en/eye-care/

And keep on hand a few of the Refresh Optive mini-vials in case I need a thicker drop.
Last edited by peanutz on Jan 4th, 2018 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1300 posts
684 upvotes
25jai wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 2:42 pm
I'm on timolol ophthalmic (Timoptic). She's telling me to keep dropping this while I'm on the drops. Since I'm not on the steroid drops permanently, this is just for temporary precaution. On week 2 I had an extra follow up and the eye pressure has gone down to 15mmHg.
Ah okay, good. That's the last thing you want, is for permanent damage to be caused because of the steroids.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1300 posts
684 upvotes
lynn24 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 2:43 pm
I tried a preserved drop maybe 4-5 months out, and found it burned like h*ll. One thing about PRK is that your corneas can be especially sensitive afterwards. Chopping/cooking onions, cooking with chilis, or using preserved drops, might not be in the cards for a while. The cost of the preservative-free drops in unit dose vials is trivial compared to the cost of the surgery. Also, I found that using ophthalmic ointment (Systane Nighttime was my favourite, although Lacri Lube works too) allowed me, at the 4 month point, to avoid daytime use of drops. If I omitted the overnight use of the ointments, then I needed day drops.
Last edited by burnt69 on Jan 4th, 2018 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aug 21, 2005
904 posts
388 upvotes
Toronto
peanutz wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 2:46 pm
Not crucial at all unless you're using the drops in the eyes more than 4 times day, or allergic/sensitive to the preservatives. Preserved eye drops should be used 4x or less a day.

I'm currently using these daily:
https://www.hydrasense.ca/en/eye-care/

And keep on hand a few of the Refresh Optive mini-vials in case I need a thicker drop.
I actually have no idea what sets the Optive Fusion apart... But I tried using Bion Tears from Costco and didn't feel like they did much for me. Was definitely looking into alternatives (I know a few were mentioned much earlier, but I've lost track). Thanks for the suggestion!
Nov 25, 2007
216 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
25jai wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 2:27 pm
It was on a printed piece of paper on what the first days i'm suppose to drop with, so I don't think they would make that big of an error. I will follow up with her this saturday for my 1 month.
Hi 25jai, my wife had the consultation at NVision on this Tuesday, and her surgery day is tomorrow.

You're correct that there're 4 eyedrops listed on the document from NVision (Zymar 0.3%, Pred Forte 1%, Lotemax 0.5%, Refresh Plus). However, on the prescription paper that the patient counsellor gave me, it had FML instead of Lotemax. I emailed her yesterday, and she said Lotemax is on back order from the manufacturer, and FML is the substitution. So I went to the drug store to get the eyedrops, and interestingly, when I asked whether Lotemax is out of stock or not, the pharmacist said no. I told her it's supposed to be on back order from the manufacturer, and she then tried to re-order her stock from her supplier, and she said she had no problem ordering more. Since I thought they're supposed to be the same (or very similar), I didn't bother and just got the FML. I'm not sure if NVision is changing the eyedrop from Lotemax to FML, or maybe it's only out of stock on certain suppliers?

As of the high eye pressure, Lotemax "could" potentially cause your eye pressure to rise. I'm a glaucoma patient, and I used Lotemax last year after my glaucoma surgery, so I know a little bit about that. It's also stated clearly on the info sheet of Lotemax, so "maybe" that's why your eye pressure went up?

Anyway, good luck with your finding, and I hope your eye pressure will drop back to normal soon.
Jun 23, 2013
184 posts
131 upvotes
Brampton
Hi everyone,

I have a fairly low prescription ( -1.5 in both eyes), and am looking to get it corrected. Most of the recommendations and suggestions I've read online (including in this thread) came from people who had a fairly high prescription.

From all I've read, the transPRK SmartSurface procedure at NVision seems like the best option. I've booked a consultation with them.

Also have booked a consultation with Lasik MD Mississauga (although I've seen very few recent posts about them)

What should I be looking out for when I go for my consultations? Any other suggestions/recommendations on places I should check out, or procedures that would be more suitable for me, given my low prescription?
Jun 7, 2007
596 posts
192 upvotes
Richmond Hill
raptorsfans wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 3:36 pm
Hi 25jai, my wife had the consultation at NVision on this Tuesday, and her surgery day is tomorrow.

Anyway, good luck with your finding, and I hope your eye pressure will drop back to normal soon.
Not sure if the solution is on back order, but the gel is definitely not. My eye doctor actually prescribed me the Lotemax Gel over the NVision's prescriptions, as she said that it's not needed to shake thoroughly (~40 times) as opposed to the solution. It's a bit thicker but it's the same thing supposedly.
Thanks for your kind words. For now it's relatively higher than it's supposed to be but the extra drops that I take in the mornings before the Lotemax is helping.
Good luck to your wife tomorrow! It's going to be life changing. Let me know how her star bursts and halos go after a week or 2.
Also, Dr. Machat might prescribe you some Demerol, a narcotic, to help you sleep better. I used it for the first 3 days, not sure if it helped my sleep but I just took it because my eyes were irritating the first 3 days.
Nov 25, 2007
216 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the tips, 25jai! I appreciate it. I'll keep track of my wife's start burts and halos progress and let you know.

As burnt69 said, you should definitely pay extra attention on your eye pressure as it could damage your optic nerves if it gets too high. I hope yours is just some temporary spike and that everything (eye pressures, right eye's vision) will be back to normal very soon Winking Face
Jun 7, 2007
596 posts
192 upvotes
Richmond Hill
raptorsfans wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 7:03 pm
Thanks for the tips, 25jai! I appreciate it. I'll keep track of my wife's start burts and halos progress and let you know.

As burnt69 said, you should definitely pay extra attention on your eye pressure as it could damage your optic nerves if it gets too high. I hope yours is just some temporary spike and that everything (eye pressures, right eye's vision) will be back to normal very soon Winking Face
I forgot to mention that I got my drops at Costco. Went in to get refills yesterday too.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1300 posts
684 upvotes
aahan91 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 3:51 pm
I have a fairly low prescription ( -1.5 in both eyes), and am looking to get it corrected. Most of the recommendations and suggestions I've read online (including in this thread) came from people who had a fairly high prescription.

From all I've read, the transPRK SmartSurface procedure at NVision seems like the best option. I've booked a consultation with them.
Dr. Lin claims that SmartSurfACE is particulary effacious at treating low prescriptions due to the very high accuracy of the process:

One of the things that attracted me to the overall platform (I was treated by Dr. Lin, but Dr. Machat uses the same tech in Toronto) was that it was so accurate with re-treatment rates of far less than 1% quoted. Compared to the local outfit that was only claiming less than a 5% re-treatment rate, and at least 2 of my local friends requiring re-treatment.
What should I be looking out for when I go for my consultations? Any other suggestions/recommendations on places I should check out, or procedures that would be more suitable for me, given my low prescription?
I think you're on the right track.
Jan 5, 2018
3 posts
6 upvotes
Hey burnt and peanut,

Just got smartsurface PRK with Dr Lin a few weeks ago. I have fairly good vision but everything is just a bit blurry. When I yawn, (and I assume my eyes produce tears at this point), I get crystal clear vision... for like 5-10 seconds and it goes away. Was this similar to what your experiences were like?

Thanks and if anyone else has questions for me, shoot.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1300 posts
684 upvotes
thediesel wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 1:49 am
Just got smartsurface PRK with Dr Lin a few weeks ago. I have fairly good vision but everything is just a bit blurry. When I yawn, (and I assume my eyes produce tears at this point), I get crystal clear vision... for like 5-10 seconds and it goes away. Was this similar to what your experiences were like?
Yup. Tear film makes a huge difference to your optical quality. Sounds perfectly consistent with my experience though, especially since it goes away with changes to your tear film (ie: blinking). Over time, your dependence on lubricants will be lessened as the cornea's nerves heal.

Only thing I'd 'change' going back would be to substitute Systane Nighttime ophthalmic ointment in place of Lacri Lube (its thicker, and seems to be more comfortable/easier to apply/more persistent). And I ended up staying on the Omega-3 supplements until quite recently (1 year later!) despite such not being prescribed by PLEC. Quite disturbingly, I stopped the Omega-3 supplements about 3 months after my procedure, rather abruptly, and rapidly lost my vision until such time that I realized that my eyes weren't quite ready for the reduction in lubrication. I found that using an overnight lubricant in the 3rd month allowed me to tolerably avoid the use of daytime preservative-free drops.

Other than that, did you have a good experience? Any pain for those initial few days?
Last edited by burnt69 on Jan 6th, 2018 2:57 am, edited 4 times in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)