Beauty & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 25th, 2018 1:07 pm

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 219. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

53%
No

14%
Pizza is yummy

33%
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
5701 posts
1106 upvotes
@thediesel Yes, in terms of eye drops, not in coordination with yawning. Face With Tears Of Joy How many weeks ago is "a few weeks ago"?

Your eyes may go in/out of blurriness for up to 6 months...during/after that, if they are dry, they will definitely be a little clearer when they are lubricated.
Jan 5, 2018
3 posts
6 upvotes
burnt69 wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 2:57 am
Yup. Tear film makes a huge difference to your optical quality. Sounds perfectly consistent with my experience though, especially since it goes away with changes to your tear film (ie: blinking). Over time, your dependence on lubricants will be lessened as the cornea's nerves heal.

Only thing I'd 'change' going back would be to substitute Systane Nighttime ophthalmic ointment in place of Lacri Lube (its thicker, and seems to be more comfortable/easier to apply/more persistent). And I ended up staying on the Omega-3 supplements until quite recently (1 year later!) despite such not being prescribed by PLEC. Quite disturbingly, I stopped the Omega-3 supplements about 3 months after my procedure, rather abruptly, and rapidly lost my vision until such time that I realized that my eyes weren't quite ready for the reduction in lubrication. I found that using an overnight lubricant in the 3rd month allowed me to tolerably avoid the use of daytime preservative-free drops.

Other than that, did you have a good experience? Any pain for those initial few days?
Pretty good experience overall. The procedure is a little spooky but not painful or terrifying. The 1-day and 1-week post op felt a little rushed but the waiting rooms were completely full every time I've been there so I understand. Totally recommend it for anyone on the fence.

Wouldn't say that I had much pain, maybe one or two instances where my eyes were hurting from dryness and forgetting to saline before opening my eyes in the morning. Was also quite sensitive to light that first week.

peanutz wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 2:57 am
@thediesel Yes, in terms of eye drops, not in coordination with yawning. Face With Tears Of Joy How many weeks ago is "a few weeks ago"?

Your eyes may go in/out of blurriness for up to 6 months...during/after that, if they are dry, they will definitely be a little clearer when they are lubricated.
It's been 2 and a half weeks now. I'm using the Refresh Optive Fusion that they recommended but my tears still seem to "provide" better clarity then the drops.

Thanks for the replies!
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1300 posts
684 upvotes
thediesel wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 3:23 am
Wouldn't say that I had much pain, maybe one or two instances where my eyes were hurting from dryness and forgetting to saline before opening my eyes in the morning. Was also quite sensitive to light that first week.
Ah. I never used a drop of that saline and the staff there couldn't really tell me what it was for. That's awesome you did well. Pain was my big fear, especially travelling alone to Vancouver. I had a local friend on "standby", but the whole idea of undergoing a 'traditional' PRK recovery in a hotel room was kind of scary at the outset. The pain-reducing qualities of SmartSurfACE did not let me down!

It's been 2 and a half weeks now. I'm using the Refresh Optive Fusion that they recommended but my tears still seem to "provide" better clarity then the drops.
Yeah the drops just sort of water-log the eye. That's why I was so eager to stop using them, and just continue using the overnight lubes. But I spend a good chunk of my recovery in the Caribbean (Florida and the Virgin Islands for about a month), so maybe I didn't have it as harsh as others :).

Did you travel by chance for the surgery? Were punctal plugs inserted? BTW, thanks for joining RFD, did you lurk and read my/peanutz' posts for a while before doing the surgery?
Last edited by burnt69 on Jan 6th, 2018 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
5701 posts
1106 upvotes
thediesel wrote:
Pretty good experience overall. The procedure is a little spooky but not painful or terrifying.
Yeah, I was pretty nervous, but I kept myself composed. I heard LASIK is scarier and more uncomfortable since it incorporates a suction on the eyeball.
thediesel wrote:
Your natural tears contain lipids (hence the Omega-3 supplement recommendations) which most eye drops do not...Liposic has some medium-chain triglycerides but they are preserved so not recommended for you yet. They are like light oily drops.

You're still early in the recovery process. Glad the procedure went well.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
5701 posts
1106 upvotes
aahan91 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 3:51 pm
Any other suggestions/recommendations on places I should check out, or procedures that would be more suitable for me, given my low prescription?
Is there any specially pressing reason for you to get your eyes lasered at this time? Your prescription is not too bad, I imagine you'd still be functional without glasses/contacts but they add crisper vision when needed--you wouldn't be walking around blurry when searching for lost glasses like I was. Face With Tears Of Joy

Your recovery phase will cause your vision to be kind of annoying for at least 3 months while it heals back up. Dryness, starbursts, other anomalies are still risk factors. And finally, the technology/research will improve in the future, so if you change your mind and/or your vision worsens, it gives you potentially better options in the future.

So, the alternative you could consider is to not do it, or not do it yet.
Jan 5, 2018
3 posts
6 upvotes
burnt69 wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 3:29 am
Ah. I never used a drop of that saline and the staff there couldn't really tell me what it was for. That's awesome you did well. Pain was my big fear, especially travelling alone to Vancouver. I had a local friend on "standby", but the whole idea of undergoing a 'traditional' PRK recovery in a hotel room was kind of scary at the outset. The pain-reducing qualities of SmartSurfACE did not let me down!

Yeah the drops just sort of water-log the eye. That's why I was so eager to stop using them, and just continue using the overnight lubes. But I spend a good chunk of my recovery in the Caribbean (Florida and the Virgin Islands for about a month), so maybe I didn't have it as harsh as others :).

Did you travel by chance for the surgery? Were punctal plugs inserted? BTW, thanks for joining RFD, did you lurk and read my/peanutz' posts for a while before doing the surgery?
I found that my eyes were kinda sticking together in the mornings and the saline just kinda helped that. Didn't travel much I'm a Vancouver local! No plugs. And yeah haha I had been reading your and peanutz posts for a while before I made the decision to get PRK done at Pacific Laser. Thanks!
Jun 10, 2003
286 posts
13 upvotes
Hi all,

Thanks for all the great info here. I am going to my consultation on JAN 11th at Nvision with Dr. Machat in Toronto for the transPRK procedure.

I have a few questions

1. If I am a viable candidate, how quickly have they been booking you in?
2. Do they do surgeries on weekends?
3. I am in Hamilton and plan on taking the train and subway in / out. Is there any possibility of making my way to the subway after the procedure, or should I be making other plans?

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1300 posts
684 upvotes
Skatanic wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 11:53 pm
3. I am in Hamilton and plan on taking the train and subway in / out. Is there any possibility of making my way to the subway after the procedure, or should I be making other plans?
When I did PLEC in Vancouver, I cabbed back to my hotel room, and subsequently went for a pretty long walk along Broadway, to a drugstore to pick up my meds, to MEC to buy some new cycling shorts, out for lunch, etc. No problems, except wearing the huge shades they gave me which probably made me look like a bit of a weirdo.

I have absolutely no doubt that I personally could have made to the subway, to Union, and ultimately onto a GO train to Hamilton. Absolutely, piece of cake. 20/25 straight off the table. Good enough to drive in theory.

But:

a) The clinic might not allow it, because they give you a sedative (lorazepam/Ativan in my case, as well as Gravol) prior to the procedure, and some patients can become impaired due to such, which poses a big liability problem for the clinic.

b) Your reaction to the procedure/process may be different than others. My experience and recovery was painless. But occasionally a patient does experience post-procedure pain, discomfort or dryness that requires ready access to putting in the drops.

c) Psychologically, the first few hours were rather, ummm, rather mixed in emotion. Happy and amazed that it was all over. Terrified that I was going to be in severe pain when the freezing wore off. Etc. Such an emotional state might not be good for judgement.

So you might be required by the clinic to attend with a support person or to take a cab for local accommodation. It may seem unnecessary, but keep in mind that from the clinic's point of view, it is a liability concern. PLEC required me to sign a waiver specifically because I didn't attend with a support person and required me to take a cab back to my hotel.

Also, while your vision right after a procedure will likely be highly functional post-procedure, at night, or in low-light conditions, it will deteriorate severely due to halos and starbursts.
If you're looking to have your worst days of recovery on a weekend, then you should try to have your surgery on a Thursday. Thursday and Friday will be relatively clear. Saturday and Sunday will be quite blurry. And you should start clearing up by Monday, with your BCL coming out on Tuesday/Wednesday.
Nov 25, 2007
216 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
Skatanic wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 11:53 pm
Hi all,

Thanks for all the great info here. I am going to my consultation on JAN 11th at Nvision with Dr. Machat in Toronto for the transPRK procedure.

I have a few questions

1. If I am a viable candidate, how quickly have they been booking you in?

Thanks!
Quick answers for Skatanic:

1. My wife had her consultation done on last Tuesday, and she did her surgery 3 days later (Friday) at NVision. Please note though I booked both the consultation and surgery appointments back in November. But if you are booking the surgery appointment after the consultation, I doubt that you'll be able to do that within the same week because they're pretty busy.

2. No, they don't.

3. On the documentations from NVision, "You'll require a driver to take you home, and you will not be permitted to leave by TTC or walk alone."
Jun 10, 2003
286 posts
13 upvotes
Thank you burnt69 and raptorsfans, I really appreciate how in-depth those replies were.

I called today and booked my surgery ahead of time for the 18th, I appreciate that tip.

Now I just play the waiting game while downing omega 3s!
Jun 7, 2007
596 posts
192 upvotes
Richmond Hill
raptorsfans wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 12:47 pm
Quick answers for Skatanic:

1. My wife had her consultation done on last Tuesday, and she did her surgery 3 days later (Friday) at NVision. Please note though I booked both the consultation and surgery appointments back in November. But if you are booking the surgery appointment after the consultation, I doubt that you'll be able to do that within the same week because they're pretty busy.

2. No, they don't.

3. On the documentations from NVision, "You'll require a driver to take you home, and you will not be permitted to leave by TTC or walk alone."
How did it go with your wife's procedure? I suspect that yesterday was really blurry for her? Because it was for me on the third day haha.

Also to add to the answers for @Skatanic, NVision only does surgeries for vision corrections on Thursdays and Fridays. And yes they are quite busy so If you are to do your consultation on Jan 11, expect to maybe have a 2 week wait. They also require you to be off contact lenses (if you use them daily like I did) for 2 weeks.
Feb 6, 2012
48 posts
10 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Hi all,

I read lot of the past posts here, and just did consultation at NVision, and have few questions on your thoughts. I am elgible for Lasik and PRK (my corneal thickness 506).

1) Was reading lot about the lasik flap issues/complications, therefore since results are same wthin a month or so, isnt it better to go with PRK? Or virtually no difference in risk level 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, 1 year after surgery. I am not in any sports or any anything like that. (How fast I recover is not an issue, more concerned about risk, long term end result).

2) I also saw dependence on reading glass will be needed much earlier vs. not getting any laser surgery done where it will be needed later (i am 30 years old now).

3) Since I need low correction (current prescription is -0.75, cyl -125, axis 125, 2nd -0.75, cyl -100, ax 080), read elsewhere the laser correction is accurate up to -.5 +.5 and since my vision is about there, it may not correct much or over correct?

4) Was reading the lifetime guarantee booklet, and it says if the surgeon retires, I'll have to pay for correction down the line since it will be with different surgeon?

Please let me know about these things. Really appreciate all the info shared here. Thanks!
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1300 posts
684 upvotes
microsysn wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 11:38 am
1) Was reading lot about the lasik flap issues/complications, therefore since results are same wthin a month or so, isnt it better to go with PRK? Or virtually no difference in risk level 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, 1 year after surgery. I am not in any sports or any anything like that. (How fast I recover is not an issue, more concerned about risk, long term end result).
I gravitated towards PRK due to the perception of less risk. PRK also allows a surgeon to do a wider optical zone. Takes more tissue, but improves the quality of night vision in those with large pupils such as I have.
2) I also saw dependence on reading glass will be needed much earlier vs. not getting any laser surgery done where it will be needed later (i am 30 years old now).
That can be true. Depends on what your prescription is like, and if you suffer regression in the next 10-15 years as well.
3) Since I need low correction (current prescription is -0.75, cyl -125, axis 125, 2nd -0.75, cyl -100, ax 080), read elsewhere the laser correction is accurate up to -.5 +.5 and since my vision is about there, it may not correct much or over correct?
You'd want to seek out a surgeon who uses a very accurate process.
4) Was reading the lifetime guarantee booklet, and it says if the surgeon retires, I'll have to pay for correction down the line since it will be with different surgeon?
That's probably an assumption that all laser surgery patient should make, even with clinics that allegedly offer "lifetime guarantees". Chains/clinics go bankrupt, doctors retire or disappear. A doctor should be willing to re-treat you in the first year or two for free or a small charge if needed (although ideally you go to one that's accurate enough to get it right the first time!), but expecting a free re-treatment 15 years down the road isn't realistic.

I'd suggest an appointment with NVISION/CrystalClear if you're in the GTA, for a SmartSurfACE consult personally.
Feb 6, 2012
48 posts
10 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Thanks for your input, was helpful. I am leaning towards Smart Surface as well which I believe is just an enchanced version of PRK?
I did go to consultation at NVision, that is what my post was regarding.

Thanks.
burnt69 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 12:40 pm
I gravitated towards PRK due to the perception of less risk. PRK also allows a surgeon to do a wider optical zone. Takes more tissue, but improves the quality of night vision in those with large pupils such as I have.

That can be true. Depends on what your prescription is like, and if you suffer regression in the next 10-15 years as well.

You'd want to seek out a surgeon who uses a very accurate process.

That's probably an assumption that all laser surgery patient should make, even with clinics that allegedly offer "lifetime guarantees". Chains/clinics go bankrupt, doctors retire or disappear. A doctor should be willing to re-treat you in the first year or two for free or a small charge if needed (although ideally you go to one that's accurate enough to get it right the first time!), but expecting a free re-treatment 15 years down the road isn't realistic.

I'd suggest an appointment with NVISION/CrystalClear if you're in the GTA, for a SmartSurfACE consult personally.
Nov 25, 2007
216 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
25jai wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 9:28 pm
How did it go with your wife's procedure? I suspect that yesterday was really blurry for her? Because it was for me on the third day haha.

Also to add to the answers for @Skatanic, NVision only does surgeries for vision corrections on Thursdays and Fridays. And yes they are quite busy so If you are to do your consultation on Jan 11, expect to maybe have a 2 week wait. They also require you to be off contact lenses (if you use them daily like I did) for 2 weeks.
Sorry for the late reply, 25jai. I've been suffering from a very bad cold since last week, so I didn't spend too much time on the computer Face With Tears Of Joy. I'll write a more detailed review on my experience with NVision once I feel better :).

My wife's PRK surgery went pretty well. She didn't have too much pain/irritation/dry eye issues after the surgery. You're right that Sunday (Day 2) was the most blurry day for her, and that was also the only day that she found her eyes a little discomfort/scratchy (but nothing intolerable). After the BCL was removed on Monday (Day 3), she said she doesn't feel any discomfort anymore. Her optometrist said she's healing very well. The only "issue" is that her vision is still quite blurry, but I guess that normal. Even today, she could barely see anything with her left eye (it's very blurry), and her right eye is much clearer (but definitely nowhere near 20/20, LOL). She's not working this week, so she just keeps resting, and hopefully her vision (especially her left eye) will improve before she gets back to work next week.