Beauty & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 25th, 2018 1:07 pm

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 219. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

53%
No

14%
Pizza is yummy

33%
Jun 10, 2003
286 posts
13 upvotes
So I went to my consultation today, I have thicker than average corneas, thank god. 562 & 578.

Going for the transPRK surgery on Jan 18th, super excited!
Feb 23, 2004
900 posts
136 upvotes
I just had smartsurface PRK done on Friday at Nvision (probably there with raptorsfans' wife!) Couldn't have been happier with Dr. Machat and his team. Very friendly, personable and accommodating. They answered all of my questions with great patience. I went in with -8.00 and -7.00, no astigmatism, around 500-505 corneal thickness, 6.5mm pupils.

The procedure itself was fine. I had tremendous pain in my right eye about an hour after the procedure. This continued until the end of Sunday! It was some of the most excruciating pain I've ever experienced. It felt like stabbing and scratching on my eye. Needless to say, I slept almost the entire three days, waking only for eyedrops, demerol (thank god) and the numbing drops provided by Nvision. Oddly enough, my left eye had barely any pain. Maybe an hour total out of the three days. Monday was the first day without pain. My optometrist says everything is progressing as normal, albeit slower due to the dry winter air.

My vision is very blurry but I can manage on my own easily. I had my iPhone font on the biggest size initially and have reduced it significantly since. My computer font is still very big but I'm starting to question why I didn't have everything zoomed in pre-surgery. I'm beginning to like this Face With Tears Of Joy

Hoping to get the all clear to drive tomorrow (1 week post surgery). Despite the pain in the first three days, I felt well enough that I could've gone back to work on Tuesday but I also took the entire week off.

For comparison: Herzig told me PRK was okay but he strongly recommended ICL instead. TLC Mississauga recommended PRK but were super conservative and said 20% chance I'd never achieve 20/20. They were weary of transPRK when I told them about Nvision and Smartsurface.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
10382 posts
1176 upvotes
RFD
Oly crap that is scary, the reason I never end up going for any of these surgeries. The possibility of ruining my eyes or having bad amounts of pain scares me away Crying Face
kjs wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 6:58 pm
I just had smartsurface PRK done on Friday at Nvision (probably there with raptorsfans' wife!) Couldn't have been happier with Dr. Machat and his team. Very friendly, personable and accommodating. They answered all of my questions with great patience. I went in with -8.00 and -7.00, no astigmatism, around 500-505 corneal thickness, 6.5mm pupils.

The procedure itself was fine. I had tremendous pain in my right eye about an hour after the procedure. This continued until the end of Sunday! It was some of the most excruciating pain I've ever experienced. It felt like stabbing and scratching on my eye. Needless to say, I slept almost the entire three days, waking only for eyedrops, demerol (thank god) and the numbing drops provided by Nvision. Oddly enough, my left eye had barely any pain. Maybe an hour total out of the three days. Monday was the first day without pain. My optometrist says everything is progressing as normal, albeit slower due to the dry winter air.

My vision is very blurry but I can manage on my own easily. I had my iPhone font on the biggest size initially and have reduced it significantly since. My computer font is still very big but I'm starting to question why I didn't have everything zoomed in pre-surgery. I'm beginning to like this Face With Tears Of Joy

Hoping to get the all clear to drive tomorrow (1 week post surgery). Despite the pain in the first three days, I felt well enough that I could've gone back to work on Tuesday but I also took the entire week off.

For comparison: Herzig told me PRK was okay but he strongly recommended ICL instead. TLC Mississauga recommended PRK but were super conservative and said 20% chance I'd never achieve 20/20. They were weary of transPRK when I told them about Nvision and Smartsurface.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1300 posts
684 upvotes
kjs wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 6:58 pm
I went in with -8.00 and -7.00, no astigmatism, around 500-505 corneal thickness, 6.5mm pupils.

-8 @ a 6.5mmOZ is only 100um or so of tissue. A year from now you'll have 400um corneas. Very safe.

Just out of interest, were you a previous contact lens wearer? Your situation, that of the high amount of pain, is apparently quite unusual, but I spent 20 years wearing contacts, often quite uncomfortably, so that might have had an impact on the (lack of) pain I experienced.

Vision wise, you should keep getting better as the week goes on.
Last edited by burnt69 on Jan 11th, 2018 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 23, 2004
900 posts
136 upvotes
radeonboy wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 7:04 pm
Oly crap that is scary, the reason I never end up going for any of these surgeries. The possibility of ruining my eyes or having bad amounts of pain scares me away Crying Face
Ah, but did you see what I said about my left eye? Face With Tears Of Joy

Seriously though, it's a trade off. Having been saddled with glasses and contacts for most of my life, I'd take the 3 days of pain to have my freedom back! That being said, it depends on how bad your eyes are to begin with. At -8.00 and -7.00 I was literally useless without my contacts. Heaven forbid they fall out when I'm not at home.
Feb 23, 2004
900 posts
136 upvotes
burnt69 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 7:12 pm
Strange that you were given such advice against PRK. -8 @ a 6.5mmOZ is only 100um or so of tissue. A year from now you'll have 400um corneas. Very safe.

Just out of interest, were you a previous contact lens wearer? Your situation, that of the high amount of pain, is apparently quite unusual, but I spent 20 years wearing contacts, often quite uncomfortably, so that might have had an impact on the (lack of) pain I experienced.

Yes, I did find it strange from Herzig as well. Originally, the optometrist there said PRK, no problem but once my file was passed on to Dr. Herzig and he responded back (twice) with ICL both times, I started to feel less comfortable there. Even the optometrist didn't think ICL was the best option for me at my consultation.

I was a regular contact lenses wearer for 16 years - 7 days a week, way more hours per day than I should have - once I found the right brand for me, never any problems with my contacts. Usually felt like I wasn't wearing anything at all.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1300 posts
684 upvotes
radeonboy wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 7:04 pm
FWIW, PLEC in Vancouver reported that only 11 out of 765 patients had pain serious enough with SmartSurfACE TE PRK to require the sort of narcotic medications and anesthetic drops that kjs took. (page 25 of the presentation!).
Feb 6, 2012
48 posts
10 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Skatanic wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 11:51 am
So I went to my consultation today, I have thicker than average corneas, thank god. 562 & 578.

Going for the transPRK surgery on Jan 18th, super excited!
I'm also doing the same on the same day as you! Excited and nervous big time! Disappointed But Relieved Face
Feb 6, 2012
48 posts
10 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
raptorsfans wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 7:03 pm
Thanks for the tips, 25jai! I appreciate it. I'll keep track of my wife's start burts and halos progress and let you know.
Was this before or after the surgery, I'm guessing after? Did the halo go away? I'm getting Smart Surf PRK next Thursday! Thanks.
Dec 5, 2017
17 posts
burnt69 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 7:12 pm
-8 @ a 6.5mmOZ is only 100um or so of tissue. A year from now you'll have 400um corneas. Very safe.

I don’ know if 400 microns left is safe. Wouldn’t that mean there is little to no room for another procedure if you do have a regression? I thought the thinner you make the cornea the higher risk for ectasia?
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1300 posts
684 upvotes
catchjosephnow wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 11:24 am
I don’ know if 400 microns left is safe. Wouldn’t that mean there is little to no room for another procedure if you do have a regression? I thought the thinner you make the cornea the higher risk for ectasia?
They used to do LASIK down to 250, but found that to be a bit unsafe, so 300 is the modern limit. The problem with doing LASIK down to 250 was that the old microkeratomes often had a significant variance in their cutting thickness, so someone who was, for example, planned for a 130um flap and a 250um bed, might have ended up with a 160um flap and only a 220um bed. PRK/transPRK or even femto-LASIK avoids the problem of excess variation in flap thickness.

So 400um is pretty safe, and most regression is a diopter or two at worst, not more. So they take another 20-30, at the most, to fix that. If the Dr. feels there's any ectasia risk, accelerated corneal cross-linking with UV light and Riboflavin can be performed. Some surgeons/clinics call this "Xtra", or "CXL".
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1300 posts
684 upvotes
microsysn wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 9:31 am
Was this before or after the surgery, I'm guessing after? Did the halo go away? I'm getting Smart Surf PRK next Thursday! Thanks.
Took a week or two for the bad night halos to go away. The daytime halos (which were actually kind of cool, although certainly wouldn't want them permanently!) were gone by the 3rd day.
Feb 23, 2004
900 posts
136 upvotes
catchjosephnow wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 11:24 am
burnt69 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 12:13 pm
They used to do LASIK down to 250, but found that to be a bit unsafe, so 300 is the modern limit. The problem with doing LASIK down to 250 was that the old microkeratomes often had a significant variance in their cutting thickness, so someone who was, for example, planned for a 130um flap and a 250um bed, might have ended up with a 160um flap and only a 220um bed. PRK/transPRK or even femto-LASIK avoids the problem of excess variation in flap thickness.

So 400um is pretty safe, and most regression is a diopter or two at worst, not more. So they take another 20-30, at the most, to fix that. If the Dr. feels there's any ectasia risk, accelerated corneal cross-linking with UV light and Riboflavin can be performed. Some surgeons/clinics call this "Xtra", or "CXL".
Echoing what burnt69 said. I was told 300 and that it wouldn't be a problem to do an enhancement if I need one.
Feb 23, 2004
900 posts
136 upvotes
Had my 1 week check up today. I was given the okay to do "a little bit" of driving. BCLs are out. I'm at 20/30 (but a very blurry 20/30).
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2010
4241 posts
767 upvotes
Toronto
how much is it nowadays? glasses are annoying, and my prescription is relatively mild in comparison..(only about a -3)

i do play sports often so reading seems like prk is the better option. My bigger worry is cost and the only reason im looking into it is because it said it was something like $450 on 92.5

IF i can get it done legit for that price with minimal risk, then id be onboard to stop wearing glasses for driving
Active RFD'er 8years and going!
Koodo 6gb $40.
Rogers 500u $24.99

PM me if you're signing up for anything!