Beauty & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2018 7:11 pm

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 228. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

52%
No

14%
Pizza is yummy

33%
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1300 posts
684 upvotes
Gotoff wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 6:44 pm
how much is it nowadays? glasses are annoying, and my prescription is relatively mild in comparison..(only about a -3)
Including follow-up care, most of us in this thread in the past year or two have paid between $4 and $5k. Some of the deep discounts seen in Vancouver earlier in this thread have somewhat disappeared, due to the better economy, and the acquisition/merging of clinics by a national chain. The $450 per eye rates advertised by that certain national chain almost certainly doesn't apply to you as a -3.
i do play sports often so reading seems like prk is the better option.
That's often believed to be the case. -3's can have either LASIK or PRK usually assuming healthy eyes and no irregularities.
My bigger worry is cost and the only reason im looking into it is because it said it was something like $450 on 92.5
Just the follow-up co-management for my eyes cost me about $900 for PRK. I did it for lifestyle and somewhat, eye health reasons (I had become contact lens intolerant) -- as a financial investment it didn't make sense for me, but I suffered for so many years wearing contacts.
IF i can get it done legit for that price with minimal risk, then id be onboard to stop wearing glasses for driving
I don't think that's realistic.
Dec 5, 2017
21 posts
kjs wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 2:01 pm
Echoing what burnt69 said. I was told 300 and that it wouldn't be a problem to do an enhancement if I need one.
I think you have to note that you are talking residual stromal bed thickness and not corneal thickness. A 300 corneal thickness would mean you are in big trouble. You don’t want anyone getting confused with this. Good luck to your healing!
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1300 posts
684 upvotes
catchjosephnow wrote:
Jan 14th, 2018 10:59 am
I think you have to note that you are talking residual stromal bed thickness and not corneal thickness. A 300 corneal thickness would mean you are in big trouble. You don’t want anyone getting confused with this. Good luck to your healing!
With PRK, a 300um central corneal thickness would end up being a roughly 240-250um central residual bed, after all the healing is done.

LASIK was routinely performed to such spec in the past. The number of people with iatrogenic ectasia even from such is small but unfortunately not zero.
Dec 1, 2017
26 posts
13 upvotes
As with some other people, I had my Smartsurface surgery 2 weeks ago at NVision. Didn't suffer any real pain except on the first day, but I decided to tough it out since the anaesthetic drop slows down healing. I took Advil and Tylenol for the pain and went to sleep. In retrospect, I could have put some Hylo eye drops in the fridge and put it in my eyes when it was in pain, but it was just 1 episode where it would have been needed.

Got my bandage out 3 days later and my vision has been fluctuating since. I'm currently around 20/30, which is a miracle after having -9 eyes! The recovery has been really slow, and at times I get really frustrated (on my 3rd audiobook). My optometrist says it'd get better this week, but I haven't seen any real day-to-day change for the last couple of days. I forgot to ask beforehand if I could get 20/20 eyesight at Nvision, but both Bochner and Herzig said I could with Lasik so I doubt that I couldn't with PRK.

I don't know the results of the alternative universe me who did Lasik, but there's a tiny tiny part of me that wished I just had Restasis for a couple of months (for my dry eyes, which made PRK a better option for me) and went with Lasik afterwards instead. On the other hand, I have no halos or starbursts, so that's been quite nice. All in all, I'm pretty happy with my results (since recovery time is one of those few things that can be 'fixed' by just waiting).
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1300 posts
684 upvotes
tgreen2017 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2018 7:23 pm
wished I just had Restasis for a couple of months (for my dry eyes, which made PRK a better option for me) and went with Lasik afterwards instead.
Nah, who wants to be on more drops than necessary, especially crazy expensive ones like the Restasis (cyclosporine ophthalmic emulsion, Allergan) :). You're so much better off this way. Far fewer things to go wrong, a far superior safety profile especially with your -9, and easier re-treatments.

I found the 2nd week to be kind of annoying as well. Almost wishing I was able to retreat to the relative comfort of havin the BCL applied. But trust me, it does get better.
Feb 23, 2004
903 posts
142 upvotes
tgreen2017 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2018 7:23 pm
Got my bandage out 3 days later and my vision has been fluctuating since. I'm currently around 20/30, which is a miracle after having -9 eyes! The recovery has been really slow, and at times I get really frustrated (on my 3rd audiobook). My optometrist says it'd get better this week, but I haven't seen any real day-to-day change for the last couple of days.
I was happy on Friday with my 20/30 also. Saturday was great - it wasn't until late in the afternoon that I realized my vision wasn't blurry. Sunday went back to being blurry. Monday was even worse (and unfortunately was first day back at work.) Today's probably just as bad as yesterday. I know fluctuations are normal but it still makes me concerned anyway.
Dec 1, 2017
26 posts
13 upvotes
It fluctuates less for me, and not painful at all. I've just been on a -0.5 prescription, and it hasn't improved for a week now. It gets really annoying since I can barely work, and it doesn't seem to be improving.
Feb 6, 2012
48 posts
10 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Getting SumartSurf PRK done tomorrow at NVision! My prescription is low -.75 both eyes with some astigmatism.
Will see how it goes.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1300 posts
684 upvotes
tgreen2017 wrote:
Jan 16th, 2018 11:39 am
It fluctuates less for me, and not painful at all. I've just been on a -0.5 prescription, and it hasn't improved for a week now. It gets really annoying since I can barely work, and it doesn't seem to be improving.
I'm not sure I understand. You said you were a -9 earlier, did you not? Not sure what the meaning of "just been on a -0.5 prescription". Is that your present under (or over)-correction?

What kind of work do you do?
Dec 1, 2017
26 posts
13 upvotes
burnt69 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2018 1:33 pm
I'm not sure I understand. You said you were a -9 earlier, did you not? Not sure what the meaning of "just been on a -0.5 prescription". Is that your present under (or over)-correction?

What kind of work do you do?
I work mostly on a computer. Beforehand, I was on a -9 prescription, but I had glasses to correct for it. Now everything is blurry and my font size is at its maximum, and even then it's a chore to do any type of reading.
Nov 25, 2007
221 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
microsysn wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 9:31 am
Was this before or after the surgery, I'm guessing after? Did the halo go away? I'm getting Smart Surf PRK next Thursday! Thanks.
The halos was after the surgery, and it was completely gone within 1 week.
Nov 25, 2007
221 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
Hi all,

It's been almost 2 weeks after my wife's surgery at NVision. Following is my expeience:

Appontment Booking

NVision's website sucks. Initially, I was trying to make an consultation appointment via their website, but I didn't get any response (email or call) from them. So for anyone trying to book the appointment, don't waste your time on the website because it's simply not working, LOL!

After waiting for 2 days without any response, I then called NVision. However, the lady who picked up the phone was clueless on the SmartSurface PRK. Actually, I don't know if she's the actual receptionist or not (because I called after 5PM, so maybe the receptionist was already gone and whoever picked up the phone did not have any knowledge?). I told her that I wanted to make a consultation appointment for my wife, and she just took down my contact info and arranged someone to call me later.

Another lady called me on the next day, and she was much better. She told me that there's no contact lense allowed 3 days before the consultation, and no contact lense 3 weeks before the surgery day. That's a big problem for my wife as she hated wearing eye glasses and she pretty much wearing her contact lenses all the time except sleeping. In order to minimize the "no contact lense" period, I scheduled the consultation 3 days before the surgery day. BTW, I later found out from the patient info documents that only 2 weeks without contact lense was required before the surgery, so they gave me the incorrect info Angry Face

If I didn't do my research and already made up my mind on NVision, I would have already turned away from NVision simply because of the appointment booking experience.

Consultation

The consultation was VERY thorough. My appointment was 2:30PM, and by the time I left the clinic, it was already 4:45PM. FYI, the consultation that my wife had at TLC was completed in about 1 hour. TLC did not dilate the eyes, and NVision did. NVision did a lot more tests than TLC.

They were having trouble getting the map of my wife's left eye (her right eye was OK though), and they kept trying for numerous times (probably over 30 times). They just wouldn't give up until they finally got a good map. Actually, I was a little worried about that, and I emailed Dr. Melville (the doctor at the consultation) and asked her if I should have my wife to redo the test on the next day just in case the map that they got wasn't good enough. She then reviewed her maps and confirmed that the maps looked perfect, so we didn't need to go back to get the map on the left eye again.

I also asked about their warranty, and actually they do have "lifetime warranty" (their program is called Vision for Life), but you have to be eligible for it (ie, you have good general eye health etc.). The first 12 months is always free, so they would do the enhancement procedure for free within the first 12 months regardless of your eligibility for the Vision for Life program. After 12 months, they'll do it for you for free if you're eligible for the program (there are a lots of criteria to be met in order to maintain the eligibility for the program), or you'll have to pay a reduced fee if you're not eligible for the program. They will let you know after the tests at the consultation whether you're eligible for the Vision for Life program. There's a patient guide that explains this Vision for Life program very clearly. I personally don't believe in warranty, and I would never buy extended warranty on anything, but I found this Vision for Life program is very fair and reasonable.

Surgery Day

She had her surgery done in the early morning on Jan 5. Dr. Machat spent about 5-10 minutes with us before the surgery and clearly explained everything we needed to know about the surgery, and that definitely made us feel a lot more comfortable and relaxed. The surgery took no more than 10 minutes. My appointment was 7:30AM, and we were out of the clinic at about 9:45AM.

Healing

Similar to kjs, my wife pretty much slept throughout the next 3 days after the surgery Smiling Face With Open Mouth. She had very little pain on the 1st day, and some irritation on the 2nd and 3rd days. She also had halos on the first few days, but she had no haze at all. Her eyes were scratchy sometimes (especially when she woke up in the middle of the night), but she has no dry eye problem. The healing process was very good, and she only suffered minimal pain/discomfort on the first few days. Overall, she's very happy about the healing process. On the 1-week post-op appointment, our optometrist told us that the epithelium was completely closed, and the surface was very smooth.

BTW, NVision did not recommend any supplement (ie, Omega-3, Vitimin C etc.) before or after the surgery. However, I took burnt69 and peanutz's advice and had my wife taking the Omega-3 and Vitamin C few weeks before the surgery, and still taking them until at least few more months. I don't know if that would make any difference, but it's better to be safe than sorry. After all, they're not that expensive anyway, and they're not going to harm, so why not? Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Vison Recovery

Her vision was quite blurry on the first 3 days. After the BCL was removed on the 3rd day, the vision was SLOOOOOWLY improving. She had monovision on her left eye (-0.75), and it's very blurry. She was barely able to see anything on her left eye on her 3rd day post-op appointment. And on the 1-week appointment, her left eye vision was improved, but still not very good. Our optometrist told us that's normal, and it will take at least another few weeks to recover. She's back to work this week, and on the first working day (Monday), she was having some difficulty looking at the monitor.
Tuesday was better, but definitely nowhere near 20/20. I have no idea how some of you guys got 20/20 right after the surgery :). I didn't even bother asking the optometrist because he told us that her vision will fluctuate, and the current reading doesn't mean much until the 1-month appointment. If I have to guess, I think her vision is probably about 20/40 (or even worse :)).

So tgreen2017 and kjs, you're not alone, and my wife is also suffering from the blurry vision (especially on her left eye), but I think it's still too early to worry, and I think (and hope) it will get better later. My wife said the vision seems to be improving, but very slowly. She has no problem on working or daily activities, but she's trying to avoid driving for now, especially in this wintery road condition.

Finally, I'd like to thank everyone's input on this thread, especially burnt69 and peanutz for their valuable info on the laser eye surgery! The amount of research they did on this topic was simply amazing, and I learnt a lot from them! After reading 50+ pages from this thread, it was a no brainer for me that transPRK with SmartSurface would be the best choice for my wife. I was originally planning to fly to Vancouver with my wife to do the surgery at PLEC. But later I realized a post by JustinLaw saying NVision in Toronto also have the equipment for the SmartSurface PRK, so that's even better! Thanks JustinLaw, and I was also able to get the $100 referral discount from NVision by mentioning your name :).

Good luck on your surgery tomorrow, Skatanic and microsysn! I totally understand how you're feeling now (ie, nervous, excited etc.), but I'm sure you'll be happy with your decision. Let us know how it goes.
Feb 6, 2012
48 posts
10 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Thanks for the details!! Really helpful knowing what I am getting into for next few days to weeks. And yes I had the same issue with their website and got call back from someone in BC.
Feb 6, 2012
48 posts
10 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
If my prescription is -.5 and after surgery will it get more blurry preventing me from driving few days later? I saw others were able to drive after about 4 days of smart surf PRK. I know it's case specific, just wanted to have an idea. Thanks!
Nov 25, 2007
221 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
Hi microsysn, -0.5 (or in my wife's case, -0.75) is very mild, and it should not be very noticeable. I don't think the monovision has anything to do with the blurriness. To my understanding, the blurry vision is just a "normal" result after the surgery, and it should improve later. Some people recover faster than others, and there's really no definitely answers on the exact recovery days. Based on my wife's recovery progress, I don't think it's a good idea to drive until at least 1 week. She "could" probably drive after 4 days, but I wouldn't take the risk as she's not seeing the street signs very well, even now. If you really need to drive within a week, I "think" you might be OK if driving during the day. I'd definitely try to avoid the nighttime driving unless necessary.